Buckwheat?

ysg

It depends. Are you VLC or LC? Or just lower carb? Or higher carb? Buckwheat can be prepared well to get rid of a lot of the problematic compounds. Chris Kresser has a post or two about it; Stephen Guyenet has also written about buckwheat. If you're mostly avoiding toxic substances, then fermented buckwheat crepes and whatnot can be helpful with their magnesium content. If you're completely avoiding grains AND pseudo-grains, then you'll want to avoid buckwheat. It's not "paleo" , but I personally do well with it and not with most other grains and pseudo-grains.

Newbie scout.

First challenge.

STA: 1

CON: 1

Thanks for posting everyone! I am glad I didn't just ask a repeat question! There is a resturaunt near my work that sells Crepes (many of them with paleo friendly fillings) and they offer original or buckwheat crepes. I know there is flower in original crepes (no bueno) but knowing the above now, I feel like once in a great while when I don't feel like packing a lunch with me, the oh so rare and occasional buckwheat crepe would be ok.  :D many thanks to all of the contributers on this forum! You rebells sure help keep me on the right paths!

Thanks for posting everyone! I am glad I didn't just ask a repeat question! There is a resturaunt near my work that sells Crepes (many of them with paleo friendly fillings) and they offer original or buckwheat crepes. I know there is flower in original crepes (no bueno) but knowing the above now, I feel like once in a great while when I don't feel like packing a lunch with me, the oh so rare and occasional buckwheat crepe would be ok.  :D many thanks to all of the contributers on this forum! You rebells sure help keep me on the right paths!

For what its worth, unless you have a negative reaction/allergy to anything in the sweet (original) crepe (Mini rant - its not original or buckwheat, its sweet or savory, grr...) the oh so rare and occasional crepe (or anything, really) is going to be OK. You just have to make the decision to eat it or not, and the best part of paleo (for me anyway) is gaining that understanding of what certain foods do to me so that when I do decide to eat that piece of pizza or whatever, I know what's going to happen, and I save it for when I am fully ready and willing to deal with whatever will follow. Just my 2 cents - enjoy your crepe every once in a while! Buckwheat with savory things (eggs, ham, cheese) only though - the sweet fillings, if you decide to go that route, will NOT taste right in a savory crepe.