Hello from another nerdy girl

Hello everyone! My name is Jessie, and I only recently discovered Nerd Fitness. I immediately felt it "click" with me, though, because levelling up my life is exactly what I'm trying to do. And my motivation is really quite nerdy - I read a book called 'Dies The Fire,'where the premise is that electricity and internal combustion stop working. Only the fittest people who had valuable skills (ancient weapons, martial arts, farming, old crafts) survived. It really made me want to gain useful skills, and oddly enough this book is what pushed me into realizing I could be more.

As a woman in a very physical, male dominated job (I build and maintain hiking trails) I often struggle to keep up with the guys. I work very hard, but I am not as strong or as fast, which has really hurt my self-confindence in the past. Being overweight doesn't help any of these issues. I am 25 years old, 5'6", and 170 pounds, and at the end of last year I finally decided to do something about it.

As my job is seasonal, I have until May or so to go full blast at fitness. Last November I started taking karate lessons at a really great dojo, where everyone is very supportive. I joined a gym, and I'm currently on week five of the Couch to 5K program. My current routine is approximately this:

Sun: Couch to 5K run

Mon: Beginner bodyweight workout x3, 1 hour karate

Tue: Couch to 5K run

Wed: Beginner bodyweight workout x3, 1 hour karate

Thu: Couch to 5K run

Fri: Walk dog

Sat: Relax, maybe hike

As of today, I have lost a net total of zero pounds. Ack! I had a few health issues that threw me off the program for a while (wrist surgery, breaking a toe) and continuing wrist pain means I can't make much progress on push ups or weights. After reading Nerd Fitness and some other articles, I think my main problem is what I'm eating. I love to cook, and trolling food blogs for new recipes is my idea of a good time. But looking back I think many of the meals I'm making are very carb heavy. Not good!

So, goals: 140 lbs, losing fat and gaining muscle. Be able to do (at least!)1 pull up, and "real" push ups. I'm signed up for a Memorial Day 10K, and want to finish in less than 90 minutes, walking as little as possible.

It's great to join such a supportive forum, with lots of people taking the same journey as I am. Thanks Steve, for starting it up!

That sounds like it could be a pretty sweet job. I've unfortunately never had one where I got to work outside. I worked in a machine shop for a summer once, it was the most physical job I've ever had. It was all 12 hour shifts, with only four 15 minute breaks in the day, so the shifts were long, but the work wasn't bad. I was busy the whole time so that was a plus. Now I'm at a Help Desk, coming up on my 4th year, and I pretty much sit on my ass all day.

I've it makes you feel better I've been going pretty hard at this cardio kickboxing class since September and my weight has had virtually zero difference. I fluctuate in about a 10 pound range, but it's the same 10 pound range I've been at for 2 years now (I went to another gym before I started this class and ran into the same thing). I know I've lost a lot of fat and put on muscle though, and I've shrunk in size (I was really excited last month when I bought jeans with a 30" waist, first time I've fit in any that small, and they're a little big on me now). I wish I did before pics/measurements in the Fall, but I always feel like doing "before" stuff jinxes things. I took one picture at the beginning of this month (as part of the 28 day challenge, which I've since fallen of the wagon). I think I'll keep up with monthly pictures from now on though and hopefully notice a difference

Robotrogue - We nerdy girls do rule :).

Robzilla - It's a great job, but really challenging because it is just SO physical. Hiking for miles with a pack carrying two tools is no joke, especially when you have to actually use the tools when you get where you're going.

Hooray for fitting into smaller clothes! I like the idea of doing a "before" picture and measurements. I'd like to think I'm replacing fat with muscle, but none of my clothes are looser and my bathroom scale says my percentage is holding at about 35. Anyone know if those scales are accurate?