Which to try.

Rebel

I want to add another sport to my repertoire and like the idea of a martial arts. After doing some research I found there seems to be a huge array to choose from.

The reasons I want to do a martial art are:

Improve reflexes / speed

Improve strength and fitness

Learn a new skill, preferable with a usable application

Improve discipline

Not knowing very much about the subject, I wondered if anyone could cast some light on the subject or suggests ones to give a try.

Thanks in advance.

Rebel.

A diet is not a few weeks but for a lifetime.

Looking at your goals, I think I have a suggestion for the perfect martial art for you.

ALL OF THEM.

Okay, in all seriousness, I think what you need to do is go to a few studios and watch the classes, maybe ask if you can participate for one day. Find a studio that you enjoy. That's the most important part by far. If you like your studio, you'll work hard. If you do that, you'll get harder, better, faster, stronger. Is it possible to get fit doing exercise you hate? Yes. But it's easier if you enjoy what you're doing. And, believe me, fitness does NOT need to be any harder.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

Just about everything you're looking to work on could pertain to just about any martial art!

Personally, I come from Korean martial arts such as Tae Kwon Do and Hai Dong Gumdo. Tae Kwon Do focuses a lot on your legs and your kicks. Of course, where I trained, we punched and did different techniques but it's very focused on the kicking.

Krav Maga comes from Israeli Special Forces. It's pretty much a no nonsense, head butt him and hit him in the groin to take him down.

Judo is all about using your force and your opponent's force to take him down to the ground.

Those are just a few examples to show how diverse martial arts are compared to each other. The important thing is what is close to you and carefully selecting somewhere to train. I have been burned pretty good in the past with contracts with certain places. You can usually figure out pretty quick who is in it for the money and who actually cares. My recommendation is staying away from large chains such as ATA (American Tae Kwon Do Association). That is just from personal experience however~

"Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore." ~ ("Pressure makes gems, ease makes decay.") - Mandalorian Proverb

Rebel,

Here is my advice do a little homework and see what martial arts interest you the most Youtube or general search is not a bad start. When you have an idea of what type you would like to train in search to see what is closest to you and be realistic in how far you would be willing to travel. If it is too far away you will most likely not attend very often. Last thing to do is try a free class most studios will offer a free trial class. If you like the instructor and the energy in your training area is good that is incredibly important.

Race: Mul (Dark Sun, AD&D)

Profession: Battle Monk

Level:1

Str/4 Dex/3 Con/4 Wis/2 Cha/2

Rebel,

Here is my advice do a little homework and see what martial arts interest you the most Youtube or general search is not a bad start. When you have an idea of what type you would like to train in search to see what is closest to you and be realistic in how far you would be willing to travel. If it is too far away you will most likely not attend very often. Last thing to do is try a free class most studios will offer a free trial class. If you like the instructor and the energy in your training area is good that is incredibly important.

MuayTyson nailed it. The one you'll go to is the best one.

Lvl 3 Shifter Monk

(STR:5.75) (DEX:5) (STA:5.25) (CON:9) (WIS:11.5) (CHA:4.8)

Live Just and Fear Not

Latest Challenge: Cleaning Up the Temple

I am stuck at the moment here in Seoul I love grappling but all the places for BJJ are pretty far away I looked into a Sambo place that was close by but it closed. I'm jonesing to get back on the mat but I know if I have to take a bus and two subways it is not gonna last long :(

Race: Mul (Dark Sun, AD&D)

Profession: Battle Monk

Level:1

Str/4 Dex/3 Con/4 Wis/2 Cha/2

I'll agree with "the one you'll do is the best one." I do Kuk Sool Won, which appears to not get a lot of respect. But it's a five minute walk from my house, and I -really- like the instructor. I go to classes with my kid, who's thinking about going to her first tournament in October. So when Ma'am said "You're competing at tournament too, right?" I just blinked in surprise, then said "Yes, Ma'am!" and started coming to more practices.

I've more than tripled my mat time in the last week, and I wouldn't be able to do that if it was inconvenient. And it wouldn't have occurred to me to do it if Ma'am hadn't given me a nudge.

"What's a black belt?" "It's a white belt who never gave up, Ma`am!
flourless | level 3 halfling monk

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 7 | CHA 4

I have to agree with most of the comments

Instructor is the number one factor and location is essential for continuity

I take TaeKwonDo and it has been great for me but I would like to get into some BJJ for the mat work and I love the artful forms of KungFu and the weapons of some of the other arts but I stick with TKD mostly because it has worked for me its close and my master instructor is great.

i second capoeira. it is awesome.

also, nowhere in your list did you mention a desire to hit people (or be hit by other people). so capoeira is technically a better fit :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1