Where do you live, and how do you like it there?

Zima

Just outside of Jacksonville, Florida here.

The good...

Far enough away from the big city (most spread out big city anyway) to not be in it, but close enough that I can get there easy.

It's not NYC... I don't see how ya'll New Yorkers do it.

I have everything I could need around me, and no big city traffic

I don't have to worry about freezing to death

Geckos... those little critters are awesome. I have numerous geckos living behind my shutters and in my garage. My house is almost a wildlife sanctuary.

Tourists keep the gators and sharks fed, makes it safe for us locals.

The bad..

I struggle to not burst into flames... I guess the humidity acts as a constant firehose.

2 seasons... Summer and January, I left the house today at 6 am with temps of 80 degrees and 85% humidity.

Mosquitos... the little bastards are EVERYWHERE... which brings me to my next one.

Rain... all... the... time... people say to get rid of standing water for mosquitos, but when it rains everyday... it's all standing water.

I'm thinking this year I can add hurricanes to this list... not yet, but give it time.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Just outside of Jacksonville, Florida here.

Been thinking about moving there (or just Florida in general)

==========================================================

I'm in St Louis.  

The good:

Baseball.  All about baseball.  Seriously.  Even the players say we're the best fans in baseball.  

Lot's of amazing things to do, including: one of only 2 free Zoos in the nation, the City Museum, Forest Park (twice as big as Central Park), Art Museums, The Botanical Gardens, The Science Center, several great micro-breweries and one major brewery, and one of the best cave systems in the nation. 

Generally agreeable weather in the fall/spring.

Relatively cheap rent/mortgages

The Arch

Ted Drewes and toasted ravioli 

The Hill (seriously good Italian food)

3am bar close.   ;)

The bad:

East St Louis (which is actually in Illinois)

Highway 270 between any time and any other time

Summer is usually very hot and humid.  The term around here is "90/90", meaning 90+ degrees and 90% humidity

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Been thinking about moving there (or just Florida in general)

==========================================================

Summer is usually very hot and humid.  The term around here is "90/90", meaning 90+ degrees and 90% humidity

You'll fit in just fine down here... oh, and we do have a great sports fan base. Got practically every sport you could want in some form or another.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I live in the Capital Region of New York, I love it.

2.5hrs away from NYC and Boston

4.5 hrs away from Montreal

Tons of Lakes, Rivers, not to mention living right on the Hudson

Great hiking/camping/mountain biking/skiing in the Adirondacks, Catskills, Taconics

We get enjoyable snow, about 60-70 inches with some years seeing 100+ but it's all little snowfalls of 6 inches from Dec-March, not as bad as Tug Hill

90 degrees is a rarity around here maybe a few days a year

Awesome music scene with free music found all over the place during the summer

Cheaper than NYC, Boston or Montreal

Awesome fall colors and beautiful spring blooms (tulip fest)

All sorts of ethnic groups have come to the area so the food is awesome around here, old school Italian and Greek, mixed with authentic Thai, African, Middle Eastern; The Pizza here is the same Pizza that everyone drools over in NYC (enough of the NYC has the best pizza nonsense)

Lack of Sun in the Months of November and March, seriously the sky is an elephant grey color for most of those months

Teases of Spring, we get a mid-late winter thaw that will melt the useable snow turn it into crusty ice and then re-freeze for a month before all melts

The fickle people. Seriously the SF Giants or NE Patriots could play here have one losing season and you would see their fan base cut in half the next year. That goes with everything I honestly think people just like staying home, getting drunk and watching bad tv

No jobs, unless you work for the Government, Hospital or Education you might be able to find a low paying high tech job in the Nano tech field but I wouldn't count on it

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Bridgetown in the South West of Western Australia. 1h and 15min from Bunbury, 3h from state capital Perth.

Claim to fame.......Winter Capital of WA, why they say this I have no idea, there are colder, wetter places than this.

I live 15 minutes from town surrounded by re growth Jarrah and Redgum Forest. I will only move when they drag me out in a pine box!

Small town, with small town problems, high unemployment, lack of good youth activities, if AFL and basketball aren't your thing you're screwed, drugs infiltrating our quiet little town, meth, ice, heroin.

Small town awesome, you can talk to the check out ladies and know their name, go into the local farm supplies and get honest advice for free. The kids I taught swimming still say hello to me in the street. Small town stuff.

It's a pretty cool place to be.

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

I live in Greenville, SC, USofA.

Pros:

- I live pretty much in the center of everything.  I can get to mountains in a hour, ocean in four hours, Charlotte in two hours, and Atlanta in three.

- If you don't like snow, you'll love it here.  Seriously, everything shuts down if someone sees a flake.

- About ten years ago, our downtown sector got a major overhaul.  It's really pretty and is rapidly becoming a foodie destination.

- Two art museums, a children's museum (which is actually pretty awesome), and a thriving theater scene.

- We have hockey!

Cons:

- Rednecks.  Enough said.

- We have four seasons.  Almost summer, summer, still summer, and Christmas.  The winter rarely gets colder than 40-ish F, and the summer averages low-to-mid-90's F. 

- People around here can't drive.  Especially in rain.

- Homophobia.  Fortunately, that is changing (slowly).

Still, I love it here.  I grew up here.  This is home.

Level 2 Mutant Druid

"No! Pillage, then burn! It's really hard to do it in reverse!"

I live in Greenville, SC, USofA.

Pros:

- I live pretty much in the center of everything.  I can get to mountains in a hour, ocean in four hours, Charlotte in two hours, and Atlanta in three.

- If you don't like snow, you'll love it here.  Seriously, everything shuts down if someone sees a flake.

- About ten years ago, our downtown sector got a major overhaul.  It's really pretty and is rapidly becoming a foodie destination.

- Two art museums, a children's museum (which is actually pretty awesome), and a thriving theater scene.

- We have hockey!

Cons:

- We have four seasons.  Almost summer, summer, still summer, and Christmas.  The winter rarely gets colder than 40-ish F, and the summer averages low-to-mid-90's F. 

- People around here can't drive.  Especially in rain.

- Homophobia.  Fortunately, that is changing (slowly).

Still, I love it here.  I grew up here.  This is home.

We have those same four seasons in Texas.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Fredericksburg, VA here.

Pros

only 2-8 hours from pretty much everything.

I can get to the mountains in 2 hours, DC in an hour if traffic is good (or 4 hours who knows when traffic is involved)

I can get to the beach (ocean) in about 3 hours (VA beach and Ocean city about equal distances apart)

History There are so many historical sites here. ranging from George Washington's mothers house to about 10 civil war battle grounds within an hour drive.

four seasons Summer, fall, kinda winter, spring

Almost all job opportunities in my field of work are in the DC metro area so I'm never to far from a new job if needed

There is a hockey team nearby (CAPS) not my team, but also not my division so I will support them until we meet in a Stanley cup or any random games played during the season.

CONS

Traffic

Traffic

did I mention traffic. Yes it can take me between 40 minutes to 2-3 hours to drive 26 miles either to or from work. I average around 40 mins to get to work and between an hour and a half and 2 hours to get home as long as there are no accidents.

fake winter. I grew up in Minnesota with real winters this maybe 3-4 snowfalls a year with 2-6 inches each time is not winter

real summer this past summer was mainly in the low 90s with high 80 to low 90 percent humidity

Cost of living it is expensive to live here and this is the cheap area and has become an extension of the DC suburb area which the city is 52 miles away, but people make the commute because they cant afford to live closer.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Cons:

See, I would have put these in the Pros column.  Different strokes, as they say.  :)

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™