A new Warrior arises

Fairy

Hello!

I'm newbie so be be hard on me! I've been slacking for too long ^_^

I am average. I wouldn't say my body is the strongest I've seen neither the weakest. But to me, this is not nearly what I want it to be.

As so, I have decided to join the warriors Forge and prove myself worthy to ME.

I am currently constructing my challenge. It's going to be legendary!

Fairy, read my signature

Current Challenge

STR 1 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

"And when you get to the point where all you wanna do is be is successful as bad as you wanna breathe ,

then you will be successful. And I’m here to tell you that number one, most of you say you wanna be successful but you don’t want it bad, you just kind of want it"

What is your lifting program?

Lifting program? :suspicion:

If the sentence above ^ isn't enough. Here goes: I have no idea what you're talking about.

Please help me out!

Current Challenge

"And when you get to the point where all you wanna do is be is successful as bad as you wanna breathe ,

then you will be successful. And I’m here to tell you that number one, most of you say you wanna be successful but you don’t want it bad, you just kind of want it"

If you are willing and able to buy a $30 book, then you should look into Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. If you would rather not buy a book, check out Stronglifts. With either program you will be squatting 3 times per week, and working in bench press, overhead press, and deadlifts throughout the week. There are some slight differences in the number of repetitions and programming, but it's basically similar.

Ok. I see. Thanks!

I have done no research so far. To this point I have only been going on personal experience. Things I've heard from friends etc.

This is a part goal in my 1st fitness option in my challenge ^^

I'll start reading about it and learn from instructors and so.

Current Challenge

Be wary of personal trainers you might find in your gym. It can be shockingly easy to get "certified" and the person may not know anything beneficial for you. That's not to say that they're all bad - they aren't - but you need to be able to tell the difference. Personal research into proper form and programming will help you to sniff out the bullcrap that you will inevitably encounter when you're pursuing strength and fitness.

To this point I have only been going on personal experience. Things I've heard from friends etc.

Yeah... Don't do that.

I'm gonna second NAAM's suggestion of starting strength or stronglifts. Do you have access to fitness equipment/ planning on getting access?

Two things are important for getting stronger. Eating a lot, and lifting heavy things (heavy is relative to you).

My suggestion is to do your own research first, create a base plan, and come back here for us to look at it and give suggestions. It is never a good idea in life to just go blindly off of what one person tells you. Not to mention it puts all the effort on our part, not yours. And the first thing to be learned about getting stronger is to consistently put forth effort.

Neutral Good-High Elf Warrior

What we move is far less important than what moves us.

Razor's Three-Fortnight Challenge

If it helps, I'll back both programs, been doing Stronglifts for about 7 weeks now and i'm finding it great, constantly gaining in strength, also picked up a copy of starting strength as well to help with my form as i'm flying solo on this and it seems like a really good read, very accessible for newbs like us i would say

Jedi Si: V2.0 - Valves by NHS. Courage, Determination, Cheerfulness in Adversity - It's a state of mind

So... Is it ok if I ask some questions here? :P

Lets say I wanna do a leg-day. I want to get a good score on squats while still covering the whole leg by doing other exercises as well. What order should I do it? Leg curl -> squats?

Current Challenge

I assure you. Eating is not a problem :)

If it didn't come out clear. I have been working out a lot the past two years. And read a lot about how important it is to eat to recover and build, but I haven't been to a gym yet! :)

I am currently reading through a program, checking how it is etc.

And soon I'll microwave some salmon and quinoa and have some quark on that! :D

Current Challenge

So... Is it ok if I ask some questions here? :P

Lets say I wanna do a leg-day. I want to get a good score on squats while still covering the whole leg by doing other exercises as well. What order should I do it? Leg curl -> squats?

1) If you're a beginner, you don't do splits. Most beginner programs are programmed like this: Squat 3x5, Push 3x5, Pull 3x5, where deadlift is programmed as a pull, but with only 1x5 plus two warmup sets. And they're like that for a reason.

2) Compounds (multi-joint movements) are important. They are what you're trying to become stronger at. So they come first. Isolation is only second and should aim to improve the compounds.

I highly recommend Starting Strength. If you don't want to buy a book, buy the book. It's worth it.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Ok. I'm on the book!

Current Challenge

I know there is animosity against personal training but it maybe a good thing that is for you to decide. Similar to martial arts I would never tell you to read and watch some videos on a martial art as opposed to getting live coaching. Go to my thread on how to find a good personal trainer if you choose to go that route.

Race: Mul (Dark Sun, AD&D)

Profession: Battle Monk

Level:1

Str/4 Dex/3 Con/4 Wis/2 Cha/2

Oh I would never get a personal trainer. The gym I'm planning to start in has instructors that can help you when you need help. They are there to help everyone :)

Current Challenge

Well you can think of it this way I been training for more than a few years now but when I wanted to learn more about Olympic Lifting I took the USA Weight Lifting course. It helped me personally and now I can use some of the techniques and modalities with my clients. Nothing wrong with seeking out expert advice. Then again as people here are quick to point out not all trainers are experts.

Good luck with your training!

Fairy, then now we're in the same boat. I've been going by the author's videos, but my copy of the book should be here in the next 2 days! In terms of what order to do things in, you should only be exercising for 45 minutes to an hour (research cortisol). That basically means you'll only have time for about 4-5 exercises if you are doing a 5x5 rep scheme and lifting as heavy as you can.

Basically the order if your workouts on Legs day should be:

Squat 5x5 (2 warm up sets)

Bench Press 5x5 (2 warm up sets) (and yes, this is the chest arm exercise. Do it on legs day anyways).

Deadlift 3x5 (2 warm up sets)

Some sort of assistance exercise for your legs. You'll probably be too tired to even do these. I've been doing calf raises (not on a machine) to promote balance, co-ordination, and reduce chicken-legedness. I could only do 1.5 sets before I felt like I might tear a calf muscle though, probably because of new Squat and Deadlift PR's.

Good luck fairy! Remember, above all it takes effort. Consistency beats efficiency, but combined offer supremacy.

I know there is animosity against personal training

There's no animosity. There are a few personal trainers that are a part of nerdfitness, one of which is currently my favorite person (It will probably be Carl Sagan again next week). I've learned a lot from him in just the 1 month I've been here. There's no animosity, there's just a consensus that getting one can be unreliable and expensive.

Neutral Good-High Elf Warrior

What we move is far less important than what moves us.

Razor's Three-Fortnight Challenge

The idea of personal trainers is a great one, and those around here that I'm aware of demonstrate their knowledge very well. If you had one of them training you that'd be great. My issue is with what appears to be the majority of trainers I actually see at gyms, the sort who have people doing bizarre step-up 5lb curl and presses onto one of those awkward halfball balance things for 3x12 instead of an actual beneficial movement.

That's great to hear Razor! Lets go the distance together! :P

Though i'm a little curious about the program you think i should do. Bench press on leg day? So far i haven't lifted a bar at all. I'll contact the gym when my cold is over.

How should a chest day look like then? I found a decent program online i liked a little.

I mainly want to focus on Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift. Should i workout with these ONLY? :)

Since i cover most of the body with my cross fit anyways

Current Challenge

you should only be exercising for 45 minutes to an hour (research cortisol).

It's not like a small cortisol peak immediately causes you to lose 5 pounds of muscle in the 30 minutes it takes to finish your workout. That's nonsense, don't worry about it. If my workout takes two hours, I'm out there for two hours, and it's certainly not making me any smaller.

Chronic elevation of cortisol leads to less capacity for strength (including hypertrophy). The only thing to chronically elevate cortisol is chronic stress that you aren't recovering from. Stress in both the psychological and physiological sense.

I mainly want to focus on Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift. Should i workout with these ONLY?

Since i cover most of the body with my cross fit anyways

Squat, deadlift, bench press, rows, chinups/pullups and overhead press. Those are the main lifts you should be striving to improve and should make up the bulk of your workout. The rest is auxilliary stuff.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

The animosity is usually with reason. I'm not upset I spend thousands every year just on education. This is another one of my issue with CrossFit. There is noway these CF trainers have a good level of competency in all the modalities they teach. A 22 year old kid is going to be proficient at KB, OLY Lifting, PL, Cardio, and Calisthenics? I have over 20 years in the industry and need constant re-evaluation and education.

The animosity is usually with reason. I'm not upset I spend thousands every year just on education. This is another one of my issue with CrossFit. There is noway these CF trainers have a good level of competency in all the modalities they teach. A 22 year old kid is going to be proficient at KB, OLY Lifting, PL, Cardio, and Calisthenics? I have over 20 years in the industry and need constant re-evaluation and education.

Careful. The kool-aid is strong here. With that said.

hi.jpg

I'll second the Starting Strength book, if only for proper form and research.

Stronglifts 5x5 is what I've been doing, simple and so far, effective.

Also, eat. I thought I was eating enough and I was still on a calorie deficit.

Start slow and follow the program. Don't be fooled that the first weeks are easy and try to skip ahead. The program works for a reason :).

Good luck!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

STR: 14.5 DEX: 7 STA: 12.5 CON: 8 WIS: 9.5 CHA: 5

Out of 100 men in battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are real fighters,

Ah, but the one,

One of them is the WARRIOR, And he will bring the others back.

- Hericletus 500 BC

Isaiah 40:31 "..but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."