Going paleo(ish)

Relic

Okay, I have finally gotten up the courage to change my diet.

Here's a list of reasons I haven't done much to my diet so far...

-Might not get enough calories(see next two)

-Losing weight would have a bad or neutral effect

-Don't want my strength to be held back

-Extra work/planning

-Cost more (I eat very cheap)

-Wife won't change her diet (small relationship strain)

-I already don't get sick very often (2-4times/year)

-I'm pretty strong/fast already

-BUT PIE AND COOKIES!!!!

-Did I mention more cost/effort?

okay, enough with the negativity, here's why I'm changing my diet...

I want better sleep

I want to recover better

I want to be alive and mobile when I'm 90+

I don't want to get sick like I did in December (very bad cold)

I want better energy (low energy=depression trigger)

I'd like to avoid another indigestion-up-late-barfing episode

Hopefully I'll find new reasons as I go but the biggest thing I want is to generally feel better.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

Keep track of your calories just eat more or eat more often

See above

May increase I wouldn't be surprised but again see answer to first

-Extra work/planning

Sucks but any diet plan requires this

Join co-op can help learn to hunt and fish have a friend who hunts Elk one of those last a while

She shouldn't have to change her diet unless she eats very poorly then I can understand but if you just skip on the processed carbs and fill up on meat and veg should be OK.

Shouldn't change maybe improve?

Again being stronger and faster is not a bad thing.

-BUT PIE AND COOKIES!!!!

Discipline but also moderation in all things even moderation

Again be creative if you really want it you will find a way.

Race: Mul (Dark Sun, AD&D)

Profession: Battle Monk

Level:1

Str/4 Dex/3 Con/4 Wis/2 Cha/2

For the cost factor, it's usually a question of what you're eating right now. If you're bulking up your meal with beans, rice, pasta, potato, you might have an increased cost. Anything else and you're going to have to do some math and show me what you're eating and how much you pay.

Who does the shopping and cooking? What are you eating now? If you take over the shopping and cooking, would the wife eat what you set in front of her? If you take over the shopping and cooking, can you manage to cook two separate meals? (Basically, I can cook primal and hubby gets a starchy side dish or some bread.)

For an experimenter, feedlot meat is acceptable until you're used to the diet. Also remember that it's not just about the meat, you also need to load up on the green and orange stuff, as well as other colors of acceptable vegetables. Eggs are also cheap, and many primals seem to eat a lot of them. (If you can trade your muscles for a few just-laid backyard chicken eggs, do it. Eat them either fried or hard-boiled.)

Cabbage, sweet potato, squashes, onions, carrots, apples... you should be able to get good prices on them this time of year. For everything else, frozen veggie section.

Three whole chickens and a pork shoulder should meet most of your meat needs for two weeks, maybe add a small rump roast if you find it on sale. Boil every part of the cut that you don't eat, it will give you meat broth and cooking fat. Then take your time in finding a place to special-order your meat in bulk if you're going to continue into grass-fed.

As far as pie and cookies, either grow up or man up. You're splurging on pastry and complain that changing your diet is expensive? If you're not splurging, you're eating absolute garbage that doesn't belong in the mouth of someone over 21.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

pretty much all excuses, but valid thoughts.

That would be your fault...eat more. If you are exercising hard, eating more on Paleo is not going to hurt you. If you are not getting enough calories, track them and eat more, although it will only take you a little research to find out how much calories you are consuming, and from then on you already know what you need.

Don't lose weight then. See answer to first.

See first...as long as you are not starving yourself, it won't happen

-Extra work/planning

Only in the beginning, and as long as you spend the time to learn the basics, and what to do when faced with odd situations(party, work lunch, travel), it is second nature.

Maybe, but I eat full paleo and it is pretty cheap....maybe not as cheap as mac & cheese, but I accept that for the health I now have.

Mine won't either, and that is her choice. I accept her path, and she accepts mine. Do not try to force her, she is your partner, let her make her choices, and she needs to let you make yours. I cook my foods, and my wife cooks hers, though at times she will eat what I cook. First though, sit down and explain why you are making these changes, and why you may need to cook separate meals, and that it is not because you are judging her, but you want to make changes, and you do not expect her to make the same changes unless she really wants to.

Most likely will be even better. Of course everyone is different, but I got sick about the same as you before paleo, now I get sick once every 2-3 years, but that could just be me.

so....feels bad ass to get stronger/faster than ever before!

-BUT PIE AND COOKIES!!!!

BUT A LONG HEALTHY LIFE WITHOUT THEM!!!!!

Also, it is entirely up to you if you want to give them up completely or not. Many paleo/primal people still enjoy stuff like that, but in moderation. I personally do not miss it, but everyone is different.

Cost I disagree....I eat a decent amount of food, but still spend far less than my wife for her junk foods. Just takes a little time to learn what foods are cheaper, when they go on sale.

Effort...honestly it does not feel like effort to me. I can see a little bit of effort I have to put in for when we go to events, or travel, but now it is second nature, and does not take much effort.

Day 3 : thanks for the replies, some more background...

My wife and I both do shopping/cooking, but my wife is very stubborn on what she will/won't eat so we will be eating differently. She does love steak, tri tip, and other good meats so there will be no issues there but she is very selective on what veggies she eats and she loves her Western food(biscuits and gravy, potatoes and gravy, tater tots, chicken nuggets...). The majority of junk food that I was eating before came from my wife. She will usually make something, (this week, cookies and pie) eat it for a few days, and then leave it, at which point I would finish it/them. So, unless I can get her to make smaller batches(I will try), it will get thrown away.

I eat cheap because I eat all the leftovers, I am not picky, I only eat out if my wife wants to, and I get a free meal at work any day I work (fast food=burger/fries every day). I don't think the cost will be much more because I will be using eggs and chicken for my main proteins, I am including milk in my diet, and I will be allowing beans and rice(I'm okay with almost paleo). Also, at work I can eat the meat patties (100% beef), so if I bring a little something extra to supplement I'll be fine.

Side note, I woke up today and felt like I got enough sleep, so far, so good.

Day 3 : thanks for the replies, some more background...

My wife and I both do shopping/cooking, but my wife is very stubborn on what she will/won't eat so we will be eating differently. She does love steak, tri tip, and other good meats so there will be no issues there but she is very selective on what veggies she eats and she loves her Western food(biscuits and gravy, potatoes and gravy, tater tots, chicken nuggets...). The majority of junk food that I was eating before came from my wife. She will usually make something, (this week, cookies and pie) eat it for a few days, and then leave it, at which point I would finish it/them. So, unless I can get her to make smaller batches(I will try), it will get thrown away.

I eat cheap because I eat all the leftovers, I am not picky, I only eat out if my wife wants to, and I get a free meal at work any day I work (fast food=burger/fries every day). I don't think the cost will be much more because I will be using eggs and chicken for my main proteins, I am including milk in my diet, and I will be allowing beans and rice(I'm okay with almost paleo). Also, at work I can eat the meat patties (100% beef), so if I bring a little something extra to supplement I'll be fine.

Side note, I woke up today and felt like I got enough sleep, so far, so good.

It sounds like you have some maneuvering room and have worked out some directions to try. Hopefully she clearly understands what you're not going to eat. Home-made baked goods aren't garbage, most of them freeze decently. As for leverage, invite her to sample whatever you're eating, and answer with nothing more than a shrug if she refuses.

Your restriction sounds like my current level of weaning. I'm thinking about keeping beans in my diet because they're a PITA to deal with and so therefore not an every-week food.

Good luck, you'll get used to it.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I will say this about the unsupportive spouse thing... if you can stay away from their food in the cabinets, paleo is not actually that much of a strain. It's very easy to make paleo dinners the whole household can eat (think two different veggie side dishes for every meal... or a stew or curry + a veggie side). Paleo eating does not work for my husband, but it does work for me, and our son is a pretty normal eater, we still manage to do dinner together every night without much problems.

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

Day 4

AHHH! There are so many foods in my house that I'm not eating!

Yesterday my wife asked me what was so unhealthy about blueberry pancakes. I basically gave her a brush off answer because I think it was more about her being hurt that I 'didn't want' her cooking. I think I said something like "I want to stick to my diet to see if it works", and moved on.

But I already won the battle of the leftover pie. My wife was done with it so I threw it away. It was a little heartbreaking since I usually just eat it. I was able to mostly convince myself that I was saving myself from feeling bad later.

More cravings today than yesterday but I have a little trick up my sleeve. When I get an urge to grab something unhealthy I get a few spinach leaves and munch on them. It doesn't stop the craving, but it does mellow it out.

Prospective problem : After bills we have, like $30 for the rest of the month, so I'm not buying any food for myself (family first). There will be enough to hold me over, but I'm not going to get as many calories as I could use and my veggie volume will definately suffer. And this is the reason I'm not cutting out stuff like beans, rice, peanut butter, milk...

Thanks again for the input guys and gals, it all helps

Well, I hate to suggest since I don't do it myself, but what about dumpster diving and urban foraging? You're going to have to do your own research for most of it, but basically you're going to have to keep your head thinking right so you don't get arrested or sick.

I'll give you a hint that the "white man's footprint" form of plantain has some good properties if it hasn't been doused in pesticides and motor oil.

Would starting this project another month work out better, or is this likely to keep coming up?

I won't have to resort to dumpster diving (not sure I'd be up for it anyway). My fridge/freezer has enough to hold me over and I am fine making a few exceptions if I have to until I can go shopping. This may come up again(infrequently), so I want to deal with it rather than postpone my experiment.

I did find someone who has a thriving zucchini plant. I am going to see if they have extras.

First big test today!

In the past, if I ran an endurance stretcher I would get digestion problems for the rest of the day(loose stool+some blood and generally not feeling great).

Today I ran almost twice as far as my previous long run and now I get to see if any issues pop up(poop out?xcD).

So far zero intestinal distress. This could be awesome...

Cans of tuna in water are generally cheap (like 50 cents or so - of course that price could have changed I have been over seas for 18 months) which would provide a good source of for a cheap price. As long as your aren't eating it with every meal every day you should be ok mercury wise and such.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Thanks, I'll be keeping it on my radar next time I shop. Also, I think there are a few old cans in the back of the cupboard somewhere.

So after my run I did get a tiny bit of stomach discomfort but it lasted for an hour instead of all day, and it wasn't really even uncomfortable , just noticeable. If I had known it would effect my post run digestion I might have tried this earlier. (awesome!)

I know I'm late on this, but re: cookies and pie.

I remember a segment from a tv show I watch some mornings, all about Indian cuisine. While cutting some melon for a salad she was making, she commented that growing up in her village, they didn't have cookies or candy. If her mom wanted to reward her with something sweet, she was given melon or fruit. Food for thought (no pun intended).

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.â€

~ Buddha

Fitocracy | My Blog | Shiny Dayglo Battle Log

For cost effectiveness, broccoli. It is super cheap. You can get it frozen, fresh, however. And if you have some garden space, you can grow it yourself. Just planted broccoli at my dad's garden. And I just finished up some of our last harvest. We got about 30lbs from that harvest, and all it cost was seeds, which was about $5.

Lvl 8 Half-Orc Warrior
STR: 25 | DEX: 11.75 | STA: 9.75
CON: 13.5 | WIS: 10.75 | CHA: 3

Challenge | DAI-GURREN | Stop Smoking

You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding. - TMBG

Pay the Iron Price. - Balon Greyjoy