• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

at348am

A paleo replacement for the potato in potato kale soup

I have this recipe that I love for potato kale soup, which is basically onions, chicken stock, a little dried basil, kale, and of course, potatoes. I am wanting to make a paleo version of this soup, so of course I won't be adding potatoes, but I'm worried that without them the soup will fall a little flat. I know that cauliflower is a common paleo replacement for potatoes, but I just don't think it would work very well in this recipe. Does anyone have any other ideas?

First, the soup sounds amazing. I've made something like that before. I've read potatoes can be included in a paleo diet, but I think it depends on the individual. However, I have eaten roasted rutabaga and turips and they are delicious. They have a very similar texture to potato.

1 cup of potato = 22 grams of carbs

1 cup of turnip = 6 grams of carbs

I found out recently that my wife has a potato allergy, on top of a gluten allergy that we've known for about a year thanks to paleo, so this is something we've been thinking about.

Edited by Breakfast

Perhaps some meat dumplings? (Liver dumplings, chicken liver dumplings, or chicken meatballs.) Or just less broth for the vegetables?

I sometimes mix sweet potato with spinach, but it's probably worse than cauliflower in this case.

Potatoes are a "gray zone" food in paleo - some people on paleo-style diets(including myself, in moderation) will still eat them. If you don't want to eat potatoes, I'd recommend trying to substitute other starchy root vegetables, such as sweet potatoes, rutabagas, turnips, or Jicama. I haven't used them in that particular substituation, so I don't know if they'd hold up the same as potatoes or not.

Oh potatoes... such a love/hate relationship. I still eat them when they come in our co-op basket, but I try to avoid them when possible just because I know I'm Sam, not Frodo.

I'm a fan of a well seasoned cauliflower replacement, but I think turnip is another great option especially as the weather gets colder.

+1 for turnips and rutabagas. Turnips have a very carroty taste, and rutabagas taste like...rutabagas. Both would be good in that soup.

Rutabagas can be tough to cut. Make sure you have a good knife and some patience.

thanks guys! these all sound like good ideas! I am actually planning on adding a little organic turkey chorizo to this soup this time, so that might help make up for the potatoes, but I think I might try it with turnips and/or rutabagas as well. I like cauliflower to replace potatoes frequently, but I think it would just get too mushy in this soup (especially after reheating once or twice). I don't think I've ever eaten a rutabaga, so this should be interesting :)