Thank you for calling Customer Service...

Hi all! My name is John (as the user id implies). :roll:

I am a 29 year old, single father that has found myself packing on more pounds than I care to admit the past couple years. I have a rather large frame standing at 6ft 7in tall with broad shoulders.

My weight gain began when I started working for a call center where I spend my 9 hours a day sitting on my can. Fast forward 2 years and I am now 285lbs. When I am not at work I am chasing around my 3 year old and doing regular day to day activities. I haven't exercised in almost 4 years (back when I was working EMS). I find that by the end of the day I just don't have the energy for much else. My diet is not as good as it could be but not entirely bad either. I eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies and try to keep the heavier foods down to a minimum. Growing up in the South I was brought up on Pinto's, Cornbread & Fried Potatoes. Meals like that didn't used to be a problem when I was 6ft plus and 200lbs.

I am making several 'life' changes. The first being applying to the Academy through my local Sheriffs Office and the other - finding more time for me. The time I want for myself would be used at improving upon my physical activity. I want to be healthy for my son as well as myself. The past 2 years I havent dated as much and would like to trim down and really get back into the swing of life.

I will admit that I do have an addiction - caffeine. I drink coffee and about 2 or 3 cold drinks per day along with my usual 4 or 5 large bottles of water. Healthwise I do not have any issues other than being to big for my britches (as my step-grandmother would often say when I was younger). Literally. I am currently in a size 40 to 42 around the waist and would absolutely love to get back into a size 36 or 38.

The town I am living in only has a small gym but parks and trails are a plenty. I do get out and go for walks with my son, take him to the park to play or ride his bicycle and other various activities that really don't involve me pushing myself. I know I need to push myself to be more active and that's why I am here. I have read several of the articles and they have given me a really great place to start. I am actually excited about getting my excess weight down to a healthier, sexier me.

So with that somewhat lengthy introduction... "Hello from Tennessee, USA!"

I also work in Customer Service. Definitely easy to gain weight in my department. There is always candy of some type, and often doughnuts or other treats. Ordering food from somewhere happens a couple of times a week. Any reason to have a potluck is reason enough. I've been doing this for seven years, and I have watched the waistlines of many of my co-workers (and myself) steadily increase.

Fortunately, one of my co-workers is undertaking a change in health/fitness as well. We are very supportive of each other, and try to keep each other out of the candy and free food. If it were just me, I would have a lot harder time avoiding the peer pressure.

Good luck in your quest for fitness!