steel treatment and refining

I deceided to participate in the next challenge and to also log my exercises more closely on the forum, thus a new thread..

In my introduction thread my last goals were:

- Still working towards 10km in minimalist shoes when again able to..

- Incorporate false grip when doing light rows/pullups to work towards a muscleup

- Improve pullups and dips to +20kg and also to do more variations in style

- More weight for squat.. aka get 1-2 heavier KB or sandbag.. OR maybe getting back in a gym and the lovely olympic barbells

For the upcoming challenge i'll do some small changes to them as the last goal is just paying some money and the second goal is not solid enough for a challenge:

So behold, next challenge goals:

- I'll restart running in minimalist shoes again on Saturday and i plan to reach 5km during the next challange. I was at 3km almost four weeks ago before hurting my toe (which stopped me running) so i hope i have not lost too much of that and guess i will be able to reach 4km distance, but going for 5 for the sake of a challange ;) If reaching 5km i'll add 4 points to stamina

- Get to +25kg weighted chinups and dips. Yesterday i did +12.5kg already and it took a bit over 6 weeks sofar. I'll add 4 Points to strength if archiving the +25kg

- Three dates with yet unknown girls ;). Work and exercise take up almost all time during the week, so flirting was too much neglected in the last time. Three means 4 points into charisma

- Want to step up on the paleo stuff, all selfmade food during the week shall be unprocessed. Meaning no dark-chocolate (ouch!), salami, cheese and such nice things for 30 days (6week*5days). Just pure fruits, veggies, meat. 30 days equals 3 points to constitution (or is that more like wisdom?? or 2/2 for both??)

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

Log for yesterday:

Exercises:

[TABLE=width: 500]

Chinups (+12,5kg)

4, 4, 4, 3 reps

Pushups with raised feet

8, 8, 7, 6 reps

Kettlebell Swings

20 (meh i was lazy, last time it was 3x17)

[/TABLE]

Food:

As i'm doing Intermittent fasting i eat quite a bit in the evening:

250g salmon

200g shrimps

200g beef tenderloin

100g green olives

100g peanuts

3 bananas

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

Again for yesterday:

Exercises:

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500]

Dips +12,5kg (bodyweight 75kg)

4, 4, 4, 4 reps

Bodyrows with elevated feet

9, 9, 9, 9 reps

Frontsquat with Kettlebells 28kg

14, 14 reps

[/TABLE]

I really need to get more sleep.. last time the squats were 3x 13 but this time i was really out of breath with just 2x14..

As for today:

I finally was running (minimalst shoes) again. I'm not sure whether to be delighted, shocked or worried.. but i run the same distance as the last time i did and did not even had a rest at the turning point! I was simply feeling great! Mind you i stopped for almost 4 weeks because i had hurt a toe really bad.

Lets see if there will be any sore muscles tomorrow.. Either the last times i was running i was quite bad or the squats and stuff in the last weeks really helped a LOT..

Running (Vivobarefoot Ultra)

3,1km (almost 2 miles)

around 19:40mins

[/TABLE]

I'm testing the new Garmin Fenix but now after running and finishing the track can't find a way to see the exact time i needed on the watch. Guess i'll have to plug it into my computer and download the track for that.. but now time, i'll want to go to the gym and get a new membership..

Level 2   Human   Ranger

I really need to update more often.. Yesterday:

Exercises:

Chinups +12.5kg

4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2 reps

Pushups raised feet

9, 9, 7, 6, 4 reps

Kettlebell swings

20, 20, 15 reps

[/TABLE]

As for today, the challenge started! :star:

Dips +12,5kg (bodyweight 75kg)

5, 4, 4, 4, 3 reps

10, 9, 9, 9, 6 reps

Frontsquat with Kettlebells 28kg

14, 14 reps

[/TABLE]

Food today was 250g salmon, 250g zander and 180g prawn and some raspberries, peaches, papaya. Quite a fishy day..

Sleep is improving.. so all in all i'm happy with the start into this challenge!

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Aaawh actually i feel the need to apologize.. when i had to stop running 4 weeks ago i barely managed 3km in minimalist shoes and so i really thought the break would mean a set back and getting to 5km would be hard.

Well, on saturday, the first run after that break was great, did 3km and felt incredible. Not even sore muscles the day after.

Now today i felt even better and managed to do:

[TABLE=class: cms_table_grid, width: 500]

Running (minimalist shoes)

4,1km

25:30min

[/TABLE]

I'm without doubt that i could have crushed the 5km goal if i had run a bit slower.. Yeah i'm happy that i'm so close to the goal, but i didn't want it do it the first or second running day into the challenge. Guess i'll have to modify that goal soon or i'll feel cheap :moody:

Eating today was fine.. 400g pork steak und 280g beef tenderloin, tomatoes, bananas and some almonds

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Yesterday was not that good.. I actually felt hungry half the day and also had little energy for exercise.

At least i did 2x 4 pullups with +12.5kg but that was that :(

Tried to put some more calories in and see how today goes. At least the food was unprocesses accoding to challenge: 6 eggs (scrambled with olives), 440g turkey breast, 1l milk, a few bananas and pears..

Level 2   Human   Ranger

I let the thursday lifts slip too, got home late from work and thought its better to eat clean (Had some turkey liver, a coconut, 2 avocados, some raspberries, several small apples.. so still only unprocessed food) and good and get some sleep.

Instead i tried to really shine during running today. Oh boy, that was fun!

In hindsight the 5km goal was a bad one but i honestly was struggling at 3km before my running break. I totally gunned it down today:

[TABLE=class: cms_table_cms_table_grid, width: 500]

Running (minimalist shoes)6,0km39:49min

[/TABLE]

I'm sure i'll be sore tomorrow but i don't care. Also yeah, the step from 4km to 6km is too large. Sue me :P

I'll have to raise that challenge goal to 10km. That was my original goal for running in minimalist shoes.

The unprocessed food thing was also ok today, had a few liters of milk, chickenbreast, 2 pears, 2 apples and when i'm finished typing this i'll get some nuts..

Oh, for tomorrow i plan on going to the gym, seeing if my pullups are back ok again and i'm currious as to what weight i'll do on the deadlift. Its been over 1,5years since i was last doing them.

Level 2   Human   Ranger

The good thing: I had NO sore muscles at all from running yesterday! That's just too cool.. it leaves my a bit puzzled though.

Today I was to the gym and OMG all those castrated movements, why do people think that using half their ROM is a good idea? This reminded me why training at home can be so much more fun :( Also why do we need to have two floors, the first floor with all 'the machines' and treadmills and the few girls and the second floor with the free weights.

Anyway, it was great to finally be able to do some deadlifts again.

I had to start with benchpressing as the cablecross (the chinup bar is there) was occupied.

[TABLE=width: 500]

Benchpress40kg 5x, 50kg 5x5Chinups5kg 5x, 10kg 5x3, 15kg 2x, 1xDeadlift50kg 10x, 80kg, 2x5, 110kg 1x

[/TABLE]

On that last rep my form was not ok and i deceided to stop. Didn't want to lower the weight and also the chinups took a toll on my gripping. But i like that i'm still able to lift 110kg.

Guess if i start with the chins next time i'll be able to get some more reps on the 15kg.

I'm wondering why i only did 50kg on the benchpress though. When using a scale at home and testing the pushups with raised feet it showed 55kg. Maybe that was not really acurate :)

Later the evening i was to the sauna, feels really nice after those chins and deadlifts.

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Oh.. my.. poor.. shoulders.. so.. sore.. Guess it was the mixture of heavy chinups and the deadlifts. So for today i did not go to the gym but did some unweighted stuff at home:

Dips (bodyweight 75kg)

10, 10, 10, 10, 10 reps

10, 9, 10, 10, 10 reps

Splitsquat with Kettlebells

2x10 12kg, 1x5 28kg per leg

[/TABLE]

I really need to work more on the balance with the splitsquats.. especially the right leg which is strange as i'm right handed. But then again it was the first serious day of splitsquats so i guess thats ok :)

Now i'll head to the kitchen for some nice 600g turkey breast and hmm lets see what veggies i have not yet eaten..

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Monday i was running again. A bit into the run i deceided its getting late and i wanted to visit my brother and liiiittle niece before she had to go to sleep so changed my running course and stopped there. Guess i misjudged the distance a bit, i ended up running 7km and later some more back home. Today i was definitely sore from that run! My bum really felt aweful.. or should i say, gluteus? Does sound more professional eh?

[TABLE=class: cms_table_cms_table_cms_table_grid, width: 500]

7,0km

46:00min

some

more

[/TABLE]

Food was some veal, grapes, lots of nuts, milk, bananas, some radish. Still according to the unprocessed plan.

Because i was so sore i didn't go to the gym (deadlift would have killed my gluteus anyway) today but worked more on the weighted chinups at home.

Chinups +16kg (my kettlebell.. easier then other weights)

2, 2, 1 reps

Pushups

10, 10, 10 reps

A few hours later:

[/TD]

[TD]Chinups +16kg (my kettlebell.. easier then other weights)

2, 2, 1 reps

Kettlebell swings (12+16kg)

15, 15 reps

[/TABLE]

Today the first slip in food.. well actually i did not make any food but was invited. My challange was that all selfmade food execpt the weekends be unprocessed. I guess i'll just make up for that on a sunday ;)

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Have been a bit lazy with logging what i'm doing..

*edit* Adding what was there for food, its in the challenge after all..

Wednesday i deceided to try and concentrate on chinups and dips, leaving out the bodyrows and pushups for a while and instead do chins and dips everyday.

So Wednesday i did spread over the whole day:

2, 2, 2, 1 reps

Dips +16kg (my kettlebell.. easier then other weights)

2, 2, 2, 2 reps

[/TABLE]

Eat some really big omelet, like 10 eggs with caraway and a lot goji in it. Also some prunes.

Thuesday i should have been running, but it was raining cats n dogs.. just did do some chins the whole day long:

3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2 reps

[/TABLE]

Foodwise i was super lazy.. just some bananas, and lots nuts, lots of milk :)

And finally today i was running, and also doing some dips again..

8km, 50:00 min

4, 3 reps

[/TABLE]

The day is not over yet.. so i guess i'll add some more dips :)

For food i had some nice coalfish, a coconut, a few nuts, 3 sweet pepper and some bananas..

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Today i basicly just did several weighted chinups. I tried dips but my right arm hurt a bit..

3, 2, 2, 3, 3 reps

4 reps

[/TABLE]

Later on i was again to the sauna.. lets see if that arm is ok tomorrow..

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Today i did some sprinting for the guilde challanges.. 400m warmup and then 100m sprint/200m cooldown for a total of 4.2km..

Sprinting(minimalist shoes)

4.2km

27:00 min

[/TABLE]

Two fuckups though:

- My GPS watch lost the satallites at one point..

- THE MAJOR ONE: The toe i crushed a while back is hurting again!

I really hope that pain is gone tomorrow, i don't want to stop running again.... *cry*

I"ll wait a bit more and try to do some dips then..

*edit*

[TABLE=class: cms_table_cms_table_cms_table_cms_table_grid, width: 500]

4, 3 reps

[/TABLE]

Level 2   Human   Ranger

I just wanted to test my chinup this morning and tried +21kg.. i got 2 and 1 reps. Will add some more when back home after work.

Chinups +21kg2, 1 reps

[/TABLE]

I'm pretty confident i'll get to +25kg this challenge.. but i'm not sure about the dips.

Did some more the evening:

Chinups +21kg1, 1, 1 reps

[/TABLE]

Food was again ok, turkeysteak, Guacamole made from a fresh avocado, several nuts, milk, prunes and figs

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Today i was in a bit of hurry before leaving for work so i just did 2 +21kg chinups so far. It however felt like i'm close to doing 3 in a row..

Chinups +21kg2 repsDip (bodyweight)1 rep, ran out of time

[/TABLE]

Right now my foot feels a bit better, i really need to try to find a stance to make it hurt..

*edit* According to challange: Food was some pork, a totally ruined brisket of beef (could not eat it :(), had to make up with lots of nuts.. some bananas, prunes, and raspberries

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Yesterday and today was quite busy at work.. got home late so i hardly did anything sporty. A few chinups thats all... today i managed like 2 3/4 chinups.. almost 3 in a row.

At least my toe/foot feels ok again. Guess i'll try normal running again the weekend. Not sure about the rope skipping challenge.. maybe i'll try that if running works out.. but i'm a bit cautious about what it might do to my toe.. damn that.

Food yesterday was salmon and prawns, usual selection of fresh veggies.

Today a whole lot of eggs with goji and blueberries, some milk and a few apples..

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Woot, yesterday i finally manged to do 3 weighted chinups in a row!

Chinups +21kg

3, 3, 2, 2 reps

[/TABLE]

Thats getting along nicely, i want to up the reps for the next week and then concentrate the final two weeks of the challenge to get to 25kg.

Today did totally not go like planned but at least i spend much time with my little niece and also was to the zoo. No running or lifting though but lots of walking with extra weight on the shoulders :gorilla: Maybe that counts too.. I really need to be more strict with sports again next week!

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Meh this week was pure suck.. my left foot is still a bit sensitive so i was not running, i have been working too long and slept too little and also did too little sports...

And finally yesterday i had the first violation of the 'unprocessed food' challenge :(. My train home had an hour delay, so it was already after 20:00 and i had to wait 20min for a connecting ride, i was hungry... well.. sufficient to say: bad food :P

Food log for this week:

Monday:Turkey breast, tomatoes, cucumber, some figs

Tuesday: Salmon and shrimps, carrots, prunes, a few bananas

Wednesday: Tuna with olives, 6-7 apples, 2 bananas and some nuts

Thursday: no-ask-no-tell.. bad stuff :P

Friday: Today i'm invited to a birthday.. hmm i'll still be eating some more tuna and good stuff when back home ;)

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Ahh, this week was much better as a whole. I'm back at sleeping more, though i guess i should add 20-30mins to get the perfect nights rest.

I'm still at 21kg for the chinups and dips and did not really improve much this week. Still in the 3reps range for chinups and doing singles/negatives for the dips with the same weight.

That one day fastfood didn't crash my eating habbits:

Monday: TUNA, tuna, tuna and olives, carrots, sweetpeper

Tuesday: Salmon, carrots, several apples

Wednesday: Turkeybreast and shrimps, some kakis, blueberries

Thursday: Lots of milk, nuts, some prunes and raspberries

Friday: Today it will be some turkey liver, onions and i guess some bananas, the rest of the prunes and some pistachios

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Today i just did several singles of chinups and dips.. the rest of the day was spend with friends, one of them had birthday so i had to eat LOTS sushi :)

The Dips are improving, almost managed to the 2 in a row. My foot is also getting better, actually today it didn't feel bad once. Maybe i'll still manage to break the 10km on basicly the last challenge day? ;)

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Woot, today i managed to do 2 +21kg dips in a row.

No idea how many are reading this, but i found it really helps my from (and also feels much better) when i'm simply pulling my elbows back instead of trying to lower myself. In fact when just trying to 'lower myself' it felt a bit insecure now and then. When just pulling the elbows back the body has to go lower but to me its the better way to do dips :)

Level 2   Human   Ranger

I was actually just thinking about my dip form.

+21kg, that's an achievement!

Thanks! Yeah +21kg is cool, but my goal for this challenge was to get to +25, i might be a bit short of that :-) Hope you are happy with your dip form..

As we are in the final week i'll go and try setting PRs for chinups and dips.. I'll do (ala yoda) +24 or +25kg chinup this evening. One would be enough :glee: Guess i'll try the same for dips tomorrow.. but i feel like +22kg is my current max there.

Oh and also speaking of challenge goals. Life is funny, sometimes it does not work that well and when it does its in abundance! Rember that life goal? Well got to know 4 new nice gals, guess i'll only manage 2 dates in the remaining time though. Right now Thursday and either saturday/sunday is planned :D

Yestery the food was simply turkey, some slaw.. also tried sweet chestnut, but didn't really like the taste. I mean its not really bad, but its not great either. I only eat half of it..

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Woooooooooooo! Did the +25kg chinup! Even managed to do 1½ of them.. Total weight on scale was 102,5kg..

Lets see about those dips tomorrow! Things are comming together!

Food today, according to plan, some tuna, lots of pistachios, milk and a whole bunch of olives..

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Tried a PR for the dips.. +23kg. I just hardly did it, but hey i did. Total weight on the scale was 100,4kg :)

Maybe i'll try 23,5 tomorrow... there are still a few days left.

Food for the challenge was 10 eggs, the finally 100g of the pistachios, milk, several apples, prunes and a few kaki..

Level 2   Human   Ranger