Titanium Bulwark - Lift heavy things. Put them down. Repeat.

Titanium Bulwark

Hi everyone! This will be my 2nd challenge now and I'm looking forward to seeing what this 6 weeks brings.

The weather has finally cooled off a bit but I've still got some big goals this time.

So without further palaver:

Goal 1 - Lift heavy things

Increase Big 4 lifts as follows (all listed in lbs):

Bench: 250 -> 265

Overhead press: 145 -> 160

Squat: 300 -> 320

Deadlift: 315 -> 330

+5 str. To do this, I'll follow the 5x5 program. I'll also add in dips (to help with ovhd press) and grip work as appropriate.

Goal 2 - Run really fast and stretch it out.

Sprint once a week. This is the full on, all out, run for your life type sprint.

Do yoga or mobility work or stretching once per week

+2 sta, +1 dex.

Goal 3 - Defy Gravity

Increase consecutive pull ups from 10 -> 15. I will do pull ups as accessory work with my 5x5 at least twice a week.

Incorporate parkour basic movements as accessory work or on off days (at least once per week).

+2 dex, +2 sta

Goal 4 - Know thyself.

Follow the planned budget for the 6 weeks AND finish my ren fest costume.

+2 wis, +1 cha

Might be too much to handle, but I had to cheese the goals a little bit to fit in everything I'm hoping to do. I didn't want to leave off yoga or parkour, as I NEED to track yoga or I won't do it AND I'd like to get more involved in parkour (even as a warrior, rawr).

This challenge is actually perfect timing for Ren fest, so excited about that. For the last few years, a group of friends go to the ren fest nearby, camp out, play barbarian games, generally rabblerouse and enjoy the faire. We all dress up and enter the costume contest. A few years ago, we built a boat (long story, ha) and won first place! Last year we built chariots and this year I think is a catapult. My goal, however, is to finish my personal costume.

My costume this year is predicated on me being in good shape. I've built a warhammer and other things... but I want to go shirtless. Show off my new nerd strength and generally be good "arm candy" for my wife. I've got pictures and I know I'm bad about posting them, my apologies. I will put them up soon, I promise.

If anyone has suggestions for my goals, I'm up for improvement, just let me know.

Until then.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

STR: 14.5 DEX: 7 STA: 12.5 CON: 8 WIS: 9.5 CHA: 5

Out of 100 men in battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are real fighters,

Ah, but the one,

One of them is the WARRIOR, And he will bring the others back.

- Hericletus 500 BC

Isaiah 40:31 "..but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Good call on building a catapult, that way you've got something to threaten the judges with if you don't win. Not sure how a catapult couldn't win though.

The goals look good man, you've got a lot going on, but I think you can do it, good luck!

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Cool can't wait to see some photos, never been to a Renaissance festival.

Warrior LVL 3

STR: 16.75 DEX: 4 STA: 4 CON: 2 WIS: 8 CHA: 3

Current Challenge: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17857-Trad-s-Don-t-drop-that-dun-dun-dun

Current Maxes (lbs):

Spoiler

Squat: 380

Front Squat: 300

Bench: 265

Overhead Press: 155

Deadlift: 455

Clean & Jerk: 225

Snatch: 155

Awesome goals! I like your job of modifying to make sure you get everything you're looking for completed. Sure your wife will be very grateful ;)!

Anything is possible for him who believes. (Mark 9:23)
"The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid." -Marcus Aurelius
Current challenge
My Training
STR-10 DEX-6 STA-9 CON-4 WIS-16.5 CHA-5

This challenge is actually perfect timing for Ren fest, so excited about that. For the last few years, a group of friends go to the ren fest nearby, camp out, play barbarian games, generally rabblerouse and enjoy the faire. We all dress up and enter the costume contest. A few years ago, we built a boat (long story, ha) and won first place! Last year we built chariots and this year I think is a catapult. My goal, however, is to finish my personal costume.

Pics or it didn't happen! :D

Sounds like a great incentive to make all your other goals happen. You can do it!

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

After a long wait, here's the pictures:

First up is me circa July 2012, before Paleo, before NF:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5439[/ATTACH]

And this is me September 20th, at the end of the last challenge: [ATTACH=CONFIG]5440[/ATTACH]

And photos from the Ren Fest:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5441[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5442[/ATTACH]

The boat was made of strips of bender board over a 1x4 frame. It was very heavy. It had 4 spots for a person to strap in, using backpack style straps and lift it on your shoulders. The sail is 2 white sheets we had stained, and the headpiece was a cardboard amalgamation of a dragon's head.

It took quite a bit to get it in the faire, as we didn't take into account the narrow gateway we had to pass through. Mast down, turned it sideways and it barely fit. We did cause quite a commotion though and drummed up some interest. So we're finally in and moving around, not 30 seconds later, the director of the parade that day asked if we were performers (no) and if we wanted to be in the parade (heh, oh yeah). So we carried the heavy boat probably 2 miles through the parade and around the grounds that day. It was awesome.

Once we had won the competition, we talked to the Ren Fest folks and asked if they wanted it (we didn't want to haul it back). They kept it, and were going to use it as a "funeral pyre" for one of their old directors that had recently passed away (they weren't actually going to burn his body on it, more of a tribute). Pretty cool.

Here's the chariots from the next year (when we didn't even place in the competition, I still call horse crap on that one):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5443[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5444[/ATTACH]

I hope y'all can see the pictures and that they came through allright. I'm looking very forward to the Ren Fest this year (happens the day after this challenge ends).

On a more mundane note, my brother has been in town this week and we've gotten to hang out with him, which has been awesome. Went to a steakhouse to celebrate being together (had to make up a reason, ha), and somehow a snicker's cheesecake got ordered. It was delicious, but deadly. Got home that night and my body IMMEDIATELY began rejecting that much dairy. All night, indigestion so bad I couldn't sleep. I thought I was either going to die or throw up, and at that point, I didn't care which one. Feeling much better now :).

I'm ready for this challenge. Been resting more this week, and prepping to hit this one full on!

Until then.

post-8672-13567244923046_thumb.jpg

post-8672-13567244923986_thumb.jpg

post-8672-13567244924982_thumb.jpg

post-8672-13567244925781_thumb.jpg

post-8672-13567244926508_thumb.jpg

post-8672-13567244927296_thumb.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Out of 100 men in battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are real fighters,

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Isaiah 40:31 "..but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Bleh. The weekend did not go as planned. Wife got sick on Saturday and passed it on to me today. Nauseous, stomach problems all day, just lovely. Feeling a little better now, and my wife was back to 100% after 1 day, so I'm hoping to see the same.

Definitely not how I was hoping to take this challenge head on. Just another hurdle.

Looking forward to lifting weights again :).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Monday - still not feeling great today. I'll go from being fine to feeling like I'm about to throw up. Made it through work though and back home, even got through my workout.

50 pull ups - 6x7 +1x8

20 BW squats, Squats: 5x45, 5x135, 5x5x190

20 push ups, Bench: 5x45, 5x5x145

5x45 rows, 5x5x100 rows

10 dips

1 min jumping rope

This was ugly, but it got done. My right knee is still giving me some trouble, I need to post in the form check for squats just to be sure I've got everything handled and in line. The dips at the end was what sent me over the edge (stomach wise). Thankfully at that point I was done.

Ate much better today, and kept all of it down. Omelet for breakfast, nuts for snack, Diet soup + pulled pork for lunch, tilapia and veggies for dinner, milk +protein post workout. I'm still probably a little short on calories as a whole, but I'll count it as a win today.

Not quite sure what I'll do tomorrow, might be a sprint day.

Until then.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Tuesday - still feel like crap, better than yesterday though. Did sprints today and went over to the playground with the wife and daughter and did some basic parkour movements. I feel infinitely better being at a playground, knowing I have a reason to be there, and not just to feel like a creeper. Luckily, it was just us at the park.

9xsoccer field sprints (75m or so)

At each goal post, I'd do a 180 jump swing around the posts (definitely felt like a stripper in training), to simulate grabbing a rope or something like that

I did a few jumps at the small park (onto the park bench and balance), up and through some of the smaller hand rails and did a few jumps onto the spiral slide, ha. I'd jump, hang on the slide platform and then up and over into the slide, without getting up onto the platform. I also did one traverse each way on the rail around the playground area, I believe it's called support shimmy (works the chest and arms).

I know it's not much, but it is a start. All in all a good workout (and two checks on the goals list for this week!).

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

@Kevin: Thanks! We always have a blast at Ren faire. Hopefully this year we can have someone watch the little one and the wife can camp with us too.

@Ancalagon: I'm humbled by your kind words, thanks! I'm really only starting to lift heavy things now for about 2 months. I've lifted for upper body strength off and on for a while, but I never did leg work (I hated it), I'd run for my leg days.

I always thought I had these big quads, but as I've lost some weight I realized I have chicken legs hidden underneath (Oh noes!). Before NF, I had never deadlifted, so I'm still working on form there. Squats, I've been intimidated by them and a little afraid of injury in the past. My knees are not in the best shape, especially after no real leg work for ~10 years. It's definitely an area of focus for me right now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

On a more general note, my knees feel suprisingly BETTER after sprinting yesterday. Maybe the sprints over uneven ground are strengthening the supporting tissues?

Also, apparently I was nominated to be the Warrior champion for the last 6 week challenge (how cool!). I am truly humbled and honored. Thank you to whoever did the picking and for those voting for me.

However, I'll put a plug in to vote for Caution, as he really nailed his goals last challenge AND has a sweet workout space now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Hey, not bad for your first challenge, huh (I mean placing in top 3 finalists). Go you!!

Great goals here! Those costumes are AWESOME! I am in awe of your skill. Well done! I can't wait to see this year's.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

On a more general note, my knees feel suprisingly BETTER after sprinting yesterday. Maybe the sprints over uneven ground are strengthening the supporting tissues?

This is something that intrigues me. My knees are pretty iffy at times from all the abuse they took from my drunken college days (sometimes it is not a good idea to try and sprint across a parking lot in the middle of February in the most Northern parts of NY). If there is a way to make my knees not hate me all the time. I am game!

However, I'll put a plug in to vote for Caution, as he really nailed his goals last challenge AND has a sweet workout space now.

Oh shucks, thank you ::scuffs his foot on the ground::. You kicked some major butt in your last challenge, everyone did really awesome! :cheerful:

@Laura: Thanks! Most of the sewing was done by my wife, but the leather work and weapons were my handiwork :). I have a viking hat I made as well, need to rummage up some of those photos. My big contribution this year: temporary tattoos. There's a place online that makes custom ones for pretty cheap, so I figured I'd order some for our group and we'd be easily identified. We have a symbol, a cogwheel where inbetween each tooth is what we did that year (boat, chariot, etc). I was thinking of using that for our tattoo.

@Caution: Trust me, I was definitely expecting my knees to feel much worse rather than much better. I definitely remember putting a rope on my trailer hitch and dragging my friends through town on a cardboard box on icy days...

No idea how the sprinting helped, maybe it just loosened things up and they got back in the right place. Definitely made it hard to squat today though, that's for sure.

Wednesday: did my 5x5. Was a little crunched for time, since we were meeting some out of town friends for dinner.

100 jumping jacks

20 BW squats

5x45 lbs squat

5x135 squat

5x185 squat

5x5x195 squat (very difficult, legs shaking the last 3 sets)

50 dips

5x45 overhead press

5x5x100 overhead press

10x45 DL

5x135 DL

5x185 DL

5x195 DL

Made it through another round of squats and got my deadlift on. Had to cut out some of the accessory work, but that's ok, still making progress.

Dinner tonight was a "Cowboy Burger" at a neat restaurant (all organic and grass fed, perfect paleo place to go). Fried egg on top, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, etc AND sweet potato fries. I have definitely come to love sweet potatoes since starting to eat primally. Did however have two Oktoberfest brews from the local brewery, totally worth it. So much better from the tap.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Dinner tonight was a "Cowboy Burger" at a neat restaurant (all organic and grass fed, perfect paleo place to go). Fried egg on top, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, etc AND sweet potato fries. I have definitely come to love sweet potatoes since starting to eat primally. Did however have two Oktoberfest brews from the local brewery, totally worth it. So much better from the tap.

Until next time.

I just drooled all over my desk. I think I had other things to say but... food...

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

If I could, I'd probably put a fried egg on my meal everytime. :) I first heard about this at a restaurant in Denver when we went to see the inlaws. They sold a burger for $2 or so, BUT the kicker was you could pay 50 cents to put pretty much anything else in the kitchen on it (peanut butter, cream cheese, you name it). Needless to say, I think my burger ended up about $8, because I wanted to eat all the things.

Thursday - got to get up a little later than usual this morning and was able to get in about 30 mins of yoga before leaving for work. I just typed in "beginner yoga video" on youtube and had a whole slew show up. I should have time to finish the video this evening or at least do something because I definitely forgot to stretch last night after weightlifting. Whoops. Oh well, just stretch it out some more today.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Awesome goals buddy, and I love those pics! That boat you built is epic :)

What kinds of yoga are you doing? Just anything that looks interesting on youtube? I used to do yoga all the time, and I found that I prefer a more strength oriented version, often called yogalates, as opposed to the breathing oriented programs.

@PrincessHeather: my goal for yoga is flexibility, whatever kind helps with that, I'm game. I get bored just stretching and I'd like to have someone remind me of good form everytime. I've done the P90X yoga which is definitely a strength yoga, in my opinion. Lots of push ups, vinyasas, etc. Right now I just did a search on youtube and went with one I could follow.

The video I watched this morning was 2 gentlemen from New Zealand, at right angles to each other. Pretty cool view, so you don't have to keep rotating the camera to show the other side, you just look at the other dude. They did have a little intro at the beginning that I didn't necessarily agree with, but the stretching was solid.

@wierdquark: Fried egg on chili? I just figured out what I'm doing for dinner... that sounds awesome.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

60 burpees as part of the challenge. Boo burpees, yay sleep!

I felt like I was able to eat normally today, which is a good change. 5 egg omelette for breakfast (veggies and ham), almonds for snack, diet soup + tuna for lunch, protein + milk for snack, ribs, carrots, broccoli and a salad for dinner. Then I had ice cream, heh heh.

My plan of attack tomorrow is to try to fit in as many burpees during work as possible, then do the 5x5 (might do burpees as accessory work) and finish out some more tomorrow evening. Goal is more than 100.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines