Titanium Bulwark - Lift heavy things. Put them down. Repeat.

Titanium Bulwark

Friday - 5x5 workout and burpees.

20 BW squats

5x45

5x135

5x185

5x5x200

7x7+1 Chin ups (+5 from earlier today)

20 push ups

5x45 bench

5x135

5x5x150

5x10 burpees

10 air rows

5x45

5x95

5x5x105 lbs

Balance work (2x4 on ground, heel to toe, turn around, come back) + bonus! I set up several projects in the works (all wood), and balanced between them, practicing landing softly and general balance.

Burpee total for today: 170. I was able to find an empty meeting room at work and knock out sets of 10 throughout the day. I'm pretty wiped out right now though. Steak for dinner, sweet potato, asparagus and some "sweet and hot" pickles (family recipe :) ).

Until next time (do more burpees!).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

STR: 14.5 DEX: 7 STA: 12.5 CON: 8 WIS: 9.5 CHA: 5

Out of 100 men in battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are real fighters,

Ah, but the one,

One of them is the WARRIOR, And he will bring the others back.

- Hericletus 500 BC

Isaiah 40:31 "..but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Saturday - 100 burpees for the challenge. So much for a rest day, ha. Tried to help out as much as I could.

@Leimanu - Thanks :). November 9th is this years shindig, so for the next challenge I should have some new pictures.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Out of 100 men in battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are real fighters,

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Isaiah 40:31 "..but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

70 more burpees. I think I'm calling it here. 400 total over 3 days, pretty good for me.

See you on Monday.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

YOU are the burpee king. YOU.

/bow. Thanks! I was deeply humbled by the Assassins, Rangers and Adventurers, I think I may need to add burpees to my goals next time, similar to Chairohkey.

Had a pretty good weekend, if a little damp. It rained here most of the weekend, which cancelled my volunteering BUT I got to spend time with the wife and daughter which was great. Watched the Avengers for the 3rd time (once by myself, once on the ipod in stints during the week and now with a fellow nerd), two favorite parts: Captain America's lines right before he jumps out of the plane and Capt. America and Ironman's "put on the suit" bit. Good movie, highly recommend it.

Started on my ren fest costume as well. I kept my belt from last year and my hat (neither were included in the pictures posted, I had already put on my horse costume for the chariots), but it was cool to have stuff I actually made. With my recent success here at NF, I'm going shirtless :). I have a battleskirt (no idea really how to describe it) that's mostly done, thanks to my wife and her new sewing machine. I'm going to get some boot covers this weekend I believe, and then I'm pretty much set. Had a meeting with my fellow builders and we've got pretty good plans for the catapult this year. I think we'll put some groundwork in on Friday/Saturday of this week, looking very forward to that.

My big contribution this year is the idea for custom temporary tattoos for all the folks associated with us. We built a standard last year and carried it around with our symbol on it (on the canvas in the background of the pictures posted). I found a place online that makes custom stuff like this for pretty cheap. It'd let us still be identified with our group even if we wander off from our catapult or standard bearer. I've got the image worked up, just need a few tweaks and send it in.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Forgot to do this earlier:

Week 1 update:

Goal 1 - Lift heavy things

3 workouts last week, followed 5x5 program. Added in some dips on one workout.

Goal 2 - Run really fast and stretch it out.

Sprint once a week. This is the full on, all out, run for your life type sprint.

Do yoga or mobility work or stretching once per week

Done. Sprints and yoga complete.

+2 sta, +1 dex.

Goal 3 - Defy Gravity

Increase consecutive pull ups from 10 -> 15. I will do pull ups as accessory work with my 5x5 at least twice a week.

Incorporate parkour basic movements as accessory work or on off days (at least once per week).

Did pull ups/chin ups at 2 workouts last week. Added parkour movements to sprint workout and 1 of the 5x5 workouts.

+2 dex, +2 sta

Goal 4 - Know thyself.

Follow the planned budget for the 6 weeks AND finish my ren fest costume.

Ren fest costume ~75% complete. Budget tracked so far (and we might have kept it under our food goal too, woot), will update tonight with actuals.

+2 wis, +1 cha

Overall: on track so far. May have to be out of town for work one week, so that'll stall out the 5x5, but I'll do the advanced bodyweight exercise or something to keep going. I guess that'll be a good opportunity to add in parkour stuff, ha.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Monday - back to lifting, 5x5 complete for today.

20 BW squats

5x45

5x135

5x185

5x5x205

100 Knees to Elbows (counting this as a "parkour basic movement")

10x45 overhead press

5x95

5x5x105 (need to lengthen my rest periods on this one, already feeling the burn)

20 knee lifts to the side (on the dip station)

DL:

12x45

5x135

5x185

5x205 AND 5x205

Didn't get in as much accessory work due to the Knee to Elbow shenanigans, so I did an extra set on deadlifts. For some reason I feel like the single set of deadlifts doesn't get worked as much as the other exercises, but that's probably because I'm still in the noob stages of weightlifting.

Tomorrow we have some church work to do in the evening so it might be a good day to do some yoga in the evening.

I always feel better once I've gotten my workout in for the day; like I've accomplished something. With everything going crazy at work right now, it's really the one thing I have total control over: work out or don't work out. Or at least I feel like I have control over it.

Should find out by Friday if I got the new job or not, and if we're moving or not. I'm looking very forward to just knowing, so I can start planning.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

30 mins yoga from youtube videos. Did 2.5 videos in total. One was an older woman on a beach, one was "beginner yoga for dummies" (aptly named) and I did a little more from the NZ yoga video with the two guys.

I may need to get more specific for the yoga videos or turn up my safe search, pretty easy to cross the exercise to erotic boundary apparently.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Holy burpees, Warrior! Way to go!

30 mins yoga from youtube videos. Did 2.5 videos in total. One was an older woman on a beach, one was "beginner yoga for dummies" (aptly named) and I did a little more from the NZ yoga video with the two guys.

I may need to get more specific for the yoga videos or turn up my safe search, pretty easy to cross the exercise to erotic boundary apparently.

Until next time.

hahahahahhahahaha oh the joys of internet searches. We have a subscription to myyogaonline.com. I believe there are some videos available for non members, too.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

@Laura: Thanks :), was just trying to give us a leg up, but dang that monk and assassin! I'll have to try that yoga site out. That's probably a little safer than on youtube.

For the Fall Frenzy, spezzy had ruled that pull ups/push ups do not add to the weight total, just FYI. Definitely going to change my workout then for today. Does anyone have suggestions for weighted XYZ as a substitution?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

@Laura: Thanks :), was just trying to give us a leg up, but dang that monk and assassin! I'll have to try that yoga site out. That's probably a little safer than on youtube.

For the Fall Frenzy, spezzy had ruled that pull ups/push ups do not add to the weight total, just FYI. Definitely going to change my workout then for today. Does anyone have suggestions for weighted XYZ as a substitution?

You can do seated cable machine stuff, lat pulldowns I think they're called??? Or if you want to use free weights, bent over dumbbell rows would be similar. As a sub for pushups, any of the various bench press forms would work well.

And something I learned during the shuttle challenge is to use mid weight/ mid volume workouts if you want to add up a lot of pounds. Heavy weights would wear me out too quick, and I would just get bored doing light weight stuff. Just something to think on.

Way to bring it during the burpee challenge, those scouts won't know what hit them if you bring that kind of fury to this challenge. Keep it up!

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

@Max Power: good idea, I'll add a burn out at the end of the 5x5 for each exercise. It's a little disappointing about pullups not being allowed, but lat pull downs should work. I'll have to figure out somewhere to do that though.

And thanks :). This mini challenge is a little more up my alley, so hopefully will have a little more success.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

You can do seated cable machine stuff, lat pulldowns I think they're called??? Or if you want to use free weights, bent over dumbbell rows would be similar. As a sub for pushups, any of the various bench press forms would work well.

And something I learned during the shuttle challenge is to use mid weight/ mid volume workouts if you want to add up a lot of pounds. Heavy weights would wear me out too quick, and I would just get bored doing light weight stuff. Just something to think on.

Way to bring it during the burpee challenge, those scouts won't know what hit them if you bring that kind of fury to this challenge. Keep it up!

^this. When I don't feel like working pull ups I do lat pulldown (though, I don't think you can count the entirety of the weight since it's a machine?) and definitely rows of some sort. Pendlay, dumb bell rows. This is a great time to some short intervals of farmer walks, too. Grab a set of 50s (or whatever's decently hard but not exhausting) Walk, rest, walk, rest, walk, rest, walk, end. Nice little 400 lb addition to tack on there.

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Oh I was figuring on farmer's walks, not sure exactly how to count it though (I guess like you said, whatever weight for that farmer's walk = total weight carried). Sigh, that's the problem with nerd competitions, too smart for our own good.

I believe one of the scouts (*cough* Phylanx *cough*) suggested I do pull ups with added weight and count just the weight. I may do some out of pure spite :).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Oh I was figuring on farmer's walks, not sure exactly how to count it though (I guess like you said, whatever weight for that farmer's walk = total weight carried). Sigh, that's the problem with nerd competitions, too smart for our own good.

I believe one of the scouts (*cough* Phylanx *cough*) suggested I do pull ups with added weight and count just the weight. I may do some out of pure spite :).

Yes! We are a mess sometimes, us nerds. Yeah, you can't count steps but you can count each short walk as one. So if you have 100 lbs total you'd count it for X steps. Rest. Your next round is another 100, etc.

Hahaha I say go for it. You strike me as the Challenge Accepted! kinda nerd :) Or Phylanx is trying to destroy us. :)

Haha! Good plan! I agree, this challenge is a lot more my speed as well. I just wish I could get a third lifting day in somewhere.

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

@Laura: definitely! I need to do more pull ups anyhow, and if that's the only way I'll get credit for them (even small credit), so be it. Part of it is I'm just hard headed (run through the wall rather than around) and part of it is I'm just enjoying the competition!

@Max Power: I'm planning on adding a day, my competitive nature is getting the best of me. I may just move Monday's lifting to Sunday and take Monday/Tuesday off instead. Food for thought :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

@Laura: definitely! I need to do more pull ups anyhow, and if that's the only way I'll get credit for them (even small credit), so be it. Part of it is I'm just hard headed (run through the wall rather than around) and part of it is I'm just enjoying the competition!

@Max Power: I'm planning on adding a day, my competitive nature is getting the best of me. I may just move Monday's lifting to Sunday and take Monday/Tuesday off instead. Food for thought :)

You can hold a dumbbell between your feet for that extra weight, if you don't have a belt that is.

I had thought about shifting my workouts around like that to get in an extra one, and I may do it if we are behind, the problem is my gym closes way early on Sunday's and I'm going to be out of town all weekend, so I may not be back in time to deal with it.

Wednesday: hooo boy. Read through the Fall Frenzy thread again, some folks are getting all riled up. Wow. Anyhow, using epic broscience, here's my workout for today, for a grand total of 24450 lbs moved:

10 BW squats (don't count for challenge)

10x45

5x135

5x185

5x5x210

10x135

10 Push ups (don't count for challenge)

10x45 bench

5x135

5x5x155

10x135

10x135

10x45 Rows

5x95

5x5x110

Dumbell Curls

6x20x30 (30 lbs each hand, 10 reps each side)

10x45

Weighted pull ups

5x25 lbs

5x25

5x25

I wanted to add a burnout set to each exercise. Had a little extra left for bench, not so much for squats and zero for rows. This is definitely the most weighted pull ups (reps and weight) I've ever done, pretty cool I thought. Put a 25 lb plate in a backpack, turned it backwards and slowly but surely lifted myself to the bar.

We got this warriors, bust on through!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

4th goal update. I meant to post this the other day, but once I got home I forgot. For our budget last month, we were under overall (yay!) AND we nailed the food budget (within 1%). Woot.

However, we were over on a few of the categories: Gas (no real surprise there), Dog care (had to go to the vet), Gifts (lots of september birthdays in my family) and travel (booked trips for the wife to see her inlaws and my mother in law to watch our daughter while we go to Ren Fest!). Still some work to do, but it's showing some progress.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Very solid routine.

Very impressed with your contribution to the mini-challenges!

I'll have to get on those, I've been so busy focusing on myself I've forgotten about the other Warriors! D:

[TABLE=width: 500]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Elf

​Height: 6"3

Weight: 161 lb

1 Rep Max:

Bench - 137 lb

Squat - 128 lb

Dead. - 277 lb

Level 1 Warrior

| STR 2

| DEX 2

| STA 2

| CON 4

| WIS 4

| CHA 1

[/TABLE]

@Laura: Thanks, /bow. Found out today that shrugs are a good way to get some weight moved...

@Mr. Tall: Thank you! I love the mini challenges. It gives me a new goal every week and probably gets me doing something I don't like (meaning I probably should do it more!)

So my off day liftings, very light weights and done intermittently throughout the afternoon (do a set, go watch the daughter, do a set, etc):

Back squat: 7x10x45

Front squat: 5x10x45

Bicep curl: 7x10x45

Overhead press: 7x10x45

Hamstring raise (opposite of the quad extension): 5x10x45

Shrugs: 3x20x135

Decline sit up: 20x45 lbs

Session total: 22950 lbs

Overall total: 47400 lbs

Goal for the week to match the Ent Scout is 100k. Lets do this Warriors!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Friday: normal 5x5 programming with a little extra weight moved.

Squats: 10 BW

10x45

5x185

5x5x210

5x185

10x135

Ovhd press:

10x45

5x95

5x5x110

5x95

10x45

DL:

10x45

5x185

2x5x210

10x135

DB Rows (Lawnmowers):

8x20x30 lbs

Shrugs: 3x10x135

Total for today: 28050

Grand total for challenge to date: 75450

Making good progress to the 100k goal. I'm probably going to move Monday's workout to Sunday and get that in, and just take Mon/Tues off.

In other news, I found out we're moving last night. I got the new job and it'll require us to move about 5 hrs away, but that was part of the plan all along. I'm excited and anxious at the same time. Nothing is official yet, still waiting on paperwork, but we're at the 95% confidence level now. It'll mean moving closer to some family, and moving further from other family.

Any prayers for sanity and patience during this would be greatly appreciated!

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines