Titanium Bulwark - Lift heavy things. Put them down. Repeat.

Titanium Bulwark

Nice lifting session and CONGRATS on the job! From the percieved tone, I'm guessing being closer/further from those sets of family is a welcome change? Moving is a pain, but it's worth it if you've got a new job you're excited about!

Nice totals!! You're easily going to make 100k the rate you're going!

Congrats on the job stuff! That's exciting!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Thank you all! It's going to be a new challenge with this job, not directly building on my current experience, but getting closer to what my degree is about. I'm just happy to have family around, though when we move we'll be closer to one of my brothers (and his wife) and we're both pretty close with them.

As for the lifting, as I was trying to explain to Phylanx, I'm a man of my word ;). I'm having a blast with it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

STR: 14.5 DEX: 7 STA: 12.5 CON: 8 WIS: 9.5 CHA: 5

Out of 100 men in battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are real fighters,

Ah, but the one,

One of them is the WARRIOR, And he will bring the others back.

- Hericletus 500 BC

Isaiah 40:31 "..but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Saturday: 15x40 yd sprints. I then spent most of the day at a friends house working on our catapult for ren fest. I'm not as concerned with making it functional, as I think it'll be awesome enough to roll in. Scratch that, it's not a catapult, it's a battle wagon :). Pictures to follow.

Sunday: up early today got my normal Monday lift in today to help the warriors out for the challenge:

Squats:

10 BW

10x45

5x135

5x205

5x5x220

5x205

10x135

Bench:

10 Push ups

15x45

5x135

5x5x160

10x135

10x135

Rows:

10x45

5x95

5x5x115

5x95

DB Curls:

5x10x60

Calf Raises:

4x10x90

2x20x90

Shrugs:

20x135

20x115

20x115

Total for today: 39850

Overall total: 115300 lbs

Met my goal of 100k and I didn't really feel wiped out (no more so than usual). Squats felt really good today. I do want to say thanks to Phylanx for putting the challenge out there, otherwise I probably wouldn't have lifted the extra weights.

I am sad that pull ups didn't count, I feel like I neglected them this week, other than the few weighted ones I did out of spite. I'll have to hit them hard next week (after my days off :) ).

Told some of my friends that we were moving yesterday. Mixed reactions from most of them. Partly they were confused because they didn't remember me telling them this was a real possibility, and partly because they didn't realize it'd happen that quickly (before the end of the year).

Anyways, until then.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Out of 100 men in battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are real fighters,

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Isaiah 40:31 "..but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5790[/ATTACH] The battlewagon :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5789[/ATTACH] The bucket on the battlewagon.

Monday: planned rest day. Completed X stretch for my stretching for this week. Also ate chinese food (General Tso's, freaking delicious), not out of an unplanned need, but out of an opportunity :). With my wife out of town, I took advantage of getting to eat something she's not crazy about. Also took the dog for a walk (I went barefooted) so that helps make up for it, ha.

Finished the 2nd hammer for ren fest. Put a little more detail into the head, but I think it still fits.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5791[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5792[/ATTACH]

Until next time.

post-8672-13567245116606_thumb.jpg

post-8672-13567245117166_thumb.jpg

post-8672-13567245118003_thumb.jpg

post-8672-13567245118571_thumb.jpg

post-8672-13567245119827_thumb.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Fall Frenzy Week 2 - jumping rope. Hmm. Dodge > Parry I suppose. Will be doing level 2 and seeing what I get from there.

Also, congrats Warriors on a solid win for week 1!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Awesome work! Love the pics :)

And congrats indeed...especially to you and your awesome numbers :)

I look forward to seeing you own this jump rope challenge, too. Maybe skip a bit for me?

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Thank you! The weight lifting challenge I felt was slanted our way... not so much with the jumping rope. My butt is covered in thin welts from the jump rope. BUT, it's worth it. Increased coordination, etc.

For the Ren Fest stuff, RAWR indeed. I'm so excited, less than a month now! I'm open to suggestions as well for the Barbarian Games. Current Games:

-Caber Toss

-Rock Throw (distance)

-Rock Throw (accuracy)

-Ladder Golf

-Wench Race (pick up your significant other and run X distance)

-Bat Race (spin around a bat, run X distance)

-Can Smash (take the sweet hammer and smash your empty beverage cans)

-Tug of War

Anything else? :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Wednesday: back to the regular programming. Pull ups were very difficult today. Don't know if it's because of the week I've had, jumping rope or just not doing them for a week. Definitely felt like I was backsliding a little bit.

330 Double Unders

7sets of 8 wide grip pull ups (more like sets of 3/2/1, but that was the goal :( )

Squats:

20 BW

5x45

5x135

5x205

5x5x225

Overhead press:

10x45

5x95

5x5x115

DL:

10x45

5x135

5x225

5x225

Still making progress on the main lifts, slowly but surely creeping up there. Overhead press felt really heavy today. I'm hoping that's a part of the crappiness of the week, not stalling out :).

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Nice double unders, man!

Hey, the lifts are still looking good. Nothing wrong with those numbers!

Still making progress on the main lifts, slowly but surely creeping up there. Overhead press felt really heavy today. I'm hoping that's a part of the crappiness of the week, not stalling out :).

I'm riding the line on stalling out on my OHP for the first time. They're REALLY hard to do at 95lbs for me right now. We'll see how 100lbs goes.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

@thirster42: I've been doing 5x5 now since July, so 3-4 months now. I did not start with just the bar though, as I had lifted weights in the past. HOWEVER, I had never really spent any time doing Squats, DL or OHP with any regularity. I'm fighting stalling out just being stubborn like that. Part of me knows that my shoulders are not as developed and the rest of me is fighting it :). I heard dips help with OHP, need to work them into my routine more.

@Laura: Thank you thank you. My calves are feeling it today. I meant to get out and about and throw heavy rocks, but today was brutal. I guess I didn't realize when you start a new job, you essentially do 2 jobs at once for a little while. I was pretty maxed out before, now I'm just floundering.

As for the lifts, I'm satisfied with the progress at the moment. Maybe I need to do one of the "big but boring" routines with overhead press and whip it into shape. That might be my goal next 6 weeks "Lift something heavy over my head once per day", ha.

Thank you both for your encouragement!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Thursday: Logged some more DUs. 841 I believe on the sheet total for this challenge.

Friday: 5x5 and accessory work.

Squat:

20 BW

5x45

5x135

5x205

5x5x230

7 sets of 8 reps regular pull ups, 5 weighted pull ups (25 lbs), 10 chin ups

Bench:

20 Push ups

10x45

5x135

5x5x165

Rows:

10x45

5x95

5x5x120

Parkour movements. All were done in about 50 ft increments interspersed in the bench sets:

Ground kongs x2

Bear crawls x1

Broad Jumps x4

After these, I pulled a MASSIVE blister off my right thumb (right where I hit the spacebar actually). Hopefully it won't slow me down. I put some H2O2 on it after the workout to clean it and I'll do it again tonight before bed. At least I was able to get my workout in first :). It does mean I'm probably done for the jump rope challenge though (that's probably what got the blister started and the ground kongs finished it up), sorry folks.

Felt good today, much happier with the pull up progression. I am however, going to count my jump ropes on Thursday as my "sprints". It's essentially interval training (I'd do them in sets of 30), and rest inbetween, I'm just wiped out right now.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Saturday - took the dog on a ~2 mile walk, packed a rucksack with 25 lbs of kettlebells and took it with me. Kettlebells were a bad choice, being naturally lopsided and oddly shaped, but it went off without a hitch. Astro was very tired at the end :).

Sunday - wife and daughter left to see the inlaws, I'm "baching" it this week as some people have said. The plan was to start doing some clean up and paint touch up, but I got a call from a friend and spent the rest of the day out and about. Had some German beer, watched some football and the Walking Dead premiere. I'm personally not really following that show, but apparently I'm the only one that still gets AMC (or has cable for that matter, I need to get with the times...), so some folks came over and watched.

Diet did not go so well this weekend. I'd eat great during the morning and daytime, but at night I just caved. Friday was date night with the wife, and except for the chocolate cake for dessert, everything was primal. And delicious :). Had scallops, squash/zucchini/mushrooms, spinach salad and Butternut squash soup. Saturday was ok until dinner, I'm a sucker for boneless wings and football (my alma mater won though!). Sunday, bleh. Again, ok until dinner time, then the German beer, pretzel, and chinese food for dinner.

All that said, I may just take a note from Rip and hit the weights even harder today (carb loading and all). Maybe it'll be the energy I need.

Goal update, as we're close to halfway through this challenge (if I did the math right):

1. Lift heavy things: On track, no workouts missed so far. My working weights are still progressing, no stalls yet.

2. Run really fast and stretch it out: On track. I did sub the jump rope for my sprints last week, but stretching is on track.

3. Defy gravity: Struggling a bit with this one. The giant thumb blister doesn't really hinder my grip (I have to end up doing fingertip grip, or I tear my hands up). Is there something else I can be doing to help pull ups? I'd greatly appreciate any help.

4. Know thyself: budget is on track, ren fest costume is nearing completion. If I find time this week, I'll make my boot covers and bracers and call it done. Temporary tattoos received and they look awesome.

One of the goals was the parkour one, can't remember which one right now. I've at least attempted something each week, though the blister doesn't help. With having a little more free time this week, I'll probably add some actual movements to my sprint workout (near the playground).

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Sounds like a fun weekend, over all. I've yet to watch Walking Dead. People around here are super obsessed since it's filmed here. I don't know. I do love me some zombie stuff, though.

As far as the diet stuff goes: there's ample research that shows/suggests "cheat" (for lack of a better word) days are good for the body and mind. So, if you've been sticking to it really well then you're probably due. Helps with leptin and all that jazz. As you progress I'm sure your cheats will be more primal (assuming it's a lifestyle you enjoy) but I wouldnt' worry too much. AND I would definitely kill it in teh gym today.. but that's because that's how you roll (as the kids say).

Monday:

60 Jumping jacks

20 BW squats

10x45

5x135

5x205

5x5x235

2x275

1x275

100 KTE (parkour basic movement)

20 Push ups

Overhead press

10x45

5x95

5x5x120

3x135

1x135

Duck Walksx5 (20 yds each) (parkour basic movement)

DL

10x45

5x135

5x225

5x235

3x275

1x275

Meant to do dips afterwards, but I was wiped out. Drank my protein, took a shower, cooked some dinner and sat on the couch for a while. I added the heavy lifts based on a startingstrength.com article. I forget who wrote it, but it talks about working out after a night of partying (beer, etc). Pretty much saying that all that the hangover/beer is, is carb loading, and he'd have the guys try to max out at the end of the workout and set new PRs (and pretty much work it out of their system). I figured the same would work for wings, chinese food and cake.

They're not PRs but they're definitely heavier than my normal workout.

I need a squat rack...

The workout felt good, glad to be back on track.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Tuesday - off day

Did 5 sets of 7 pull ups (actually getting all reps in one go), taking BigM's advice from the programming thread. Did 30 mins of stretching from a youtube yoga video. This one was much better, just one guy doing yoga, no messing around, no wasted movements, stretch and move on.

Got some work done around the house. Touched up the paint in the master bathroom, resurfaced the wall around the guest shower (had gotten wet and was peeling), now just waiting for it to dry so I can paint it.

Lots of anxiety today around the move, all of a sudden it hits me that this is very real, like I'm not really an adult ready to do this. To add to that, I thought it'd be a good idea to look over the student loans at the same time, yay! Not.

Let me explain this, as it helps explain some of my anxiety. I was blessed enough to make it through college with zero debt. My parents had put some money aside and I worked throughout college (research assistant type stuff) and it was enough. My wife, on the other hand, was not as fortunate. She had student loans from undergrad and has since graduated from law school. We're making progress on the loans, but I feel really only because we're putting extra towards the loans (approx 30% above the required payment). She's very sensitive about talking about money in general (issues with parents growing up) and even moreso with the student loans (she feels guilty, like it's her fault, etc). All I want to do is talk about planning and see if there's anyway we can pay it off sooner; she immediately shuts down and gets upset as soon as I broach the topic.

I'm very careful to never say "your student loans" or anything to that effect. I was fully aware of what I was marrying into and I see it as OUR responsibility to pay it off. I'm just trying to help, it's just soul crushing to look at the number on the loan sheet and not see it moving down towards zero. Any thoughts on a good/better way to work through this would be appreciated.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Oy, I could hug your wife. I really get that. My student loans are a major source of anxiety for me (but I wasn't smart enough to go into debt for a potentially high paying career hahahah).

Anyhow, I can see why it's a tough talk to have. Maybe sit down with her and first talk about wanting to talk about it. Letting her know you understand how she feels but that you need to talk about it. :shrug: maybe?

Anyhow, you are adult enough! Go on with your awesome self :) Get your move on!

And congrats on the pull ups! booya!

Wednesday - regular programming, 5x5 and the like

Squat

20 BW

5x45

5x135

5x205

5x5x240

2x275

1x275

Close grip pull ups, sets of 8 - 5

Weighted pull ups (25 lbs) 2x5

20 push ups

Bench:

10x45

5x135

5x5x170

1x220

1x220

GHR yoga ball regression - 5x20

Rows

10x45

5x115

5x5x125

3x155

OHP, 105 lbs 3x8

Taking the advice of Chairohkey and BigM, added some OHP to this workout. Had to use the brocurl bar to work it inbetween sets of rows (45 on each side plus the bar is 105 right?). Helped keep my elbows in, that's for sure.

Also mowed the yard and did some jump rope for warmup. Pretty wiped out right now, need to cook some breakfast for in the morning and then get to bed.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Oy, finances... never fun. I know for me, I grew up in a household that was always behind on utilities and trying to juggle allt he things us kids wanted to do with necessities and running a small business. My mother especially was always stressed, and that is something that really stuck with me in terms of my own spending habits and my view of money. My husband is much more of a spender, and the thought of debt doesn't stress him out the way it does me. It took a lot of emotion and tears, but we're both much more comfortable about our budget, and have things set up well. Do you guys have a budget? Maybe you could appoahc things from a "let's see if there are any places where we could be spending less" perspective, and nto mention the loans. If there are areas where you can cut back that you're both comfortable with, maybe then have the dicussion of what to do with those savings, the hope being that it would go towards the loans or an emergency fund.

You're doing awesome, btw :)

@Princess Heather - we have a budget, it's recent though (created through NF, thanks :) ). We stuck with it (mostly) last month and this month is going ok, just always a point of contention. She's told me in the past she's concerned because that's all her parents would argue about (finances). My thought is we can either discuss it now and adjust, or fight about it later as we crater.

My goal is to have the loans paid off in the next 5 years. Not likely, but my fear is that we're still paying off this education when my daughter heads to school... bleh. We worked on the budget we have together so she was involved in it.

I do appreciate the words of encouragement though.

@Laura: Thanks. She could probably use the hug, ha.

Today, no real workout. Mowed the back yard, walked the dog and went to the store. Wife and daughter get home tomorrow afternoon; definitely ready to see them.

Gonna go finish up the guest bathroom painting. Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Friday - normal workout and finishing chores up at the house before the wife and daughter get home.

100 Jumping jacks

20 BW squats

10x45

5x135

5x225

5x5x245

10x135

10x135

50 pull ups (all sets of 5 consecutive, no grinding reps)

20 Push ups

Overhead press

10x45

5x115

5x5x125

5x125

DL

10x45

5x135

5x205

5x245

5x245

Not as much accessory work as I'd like, but the pull ups were solid. Didn't count any that I couldn't get my 5 reps on (which thankfully wasn't any of them :) ). I had already unloaded the bar and moved my safety benches out of the way when I remembered to do any heavies. So I did a volume instead.

OHP was VERY difficult today. Soon as I am able, I will post back in the form check thread to get some help. I did do an extra set, as there was a little break in my workout, due to dealing with work issues (today is my day off).

I know I sound like a broken record, but work has been really stressful for me lately. I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel as far as days left in this job, but I have stuff I need to get done and people keep getting in my way. Hopefully I'll rest/relax today and recoup over the weekend and hit it hard on Monday.

Started going through Dollhouse again last night. I'm a sucker for Joss Whedon, I'll admit. Plus, I think it's an interesting concept and would be a really cool date, ha. Plus, you could date yourself as the opposite sex.... interesting concepts, that's for sure.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines