Titanium Bulwark - Lift heavy things. Put them down. Repeat.

Titanium Bulwark

Saturday - sprints.

10x50-75 yd sprints (tweaked my hamstring on the 8th sprint, so the last few were 75% effort by necessity)

8 "cone drills" - had a soccer goal where I sprinted and it didn't have a net on it, so the 4 corners were perfect for agility type drills

3 tries at going hand over hand across the front of the soccer goal. Made it halfway each time and had to give it up (it looked like the bar was going to come down, so I didn't want to push it.

Some of the sprints had slight hills on each end (the soccer field is in a sunken area, so hills on either side) and definitely got my heart rate going.

Got the house painted as well. Just trying to start doing some things that would help the house sell (eventually, whenever we get the official paperwork!).

Sunday - nothing major. Did a few little chores around the house and went for about a 1.5 mile walk with the family.

However, my ren fest costume is essentially complete! Gave up on trying to make boot covers and ordered some $40 boots from amazon (part of my birthday present from my wife :) ). Also made some bracers for my wife, a headband and some straps for her bodice. Everything is looking good and we are so excited for it. It's also going to be the first time we've left the daughter with anyone over night, so I'm sure it'll be mixed emotions.

So, week 4 done, goal updates:

1. Lift heavy things: On track. OHP form check will be posted this week.

2. Run really fast and stretch it out: On track. Did sprints on Saturday for this week.

3. Defy gravity: On track (I think). Felt much better this week doing pull ups. I'll put a try on getting my 15 PUs this week.

4. Know thyself: budget is ok, ren fest costume complete.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

STR: 14.5 DEX: 7 STA: 12.5 CON: 8 WIS: 9.5 CHA: 5

Out of 100 men in battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are real fighters,

Ah, but the one,

One of them is the WARRIOR, And he will bring the others back.

- Hericletus 500 BC

Isaiah 40:31 "..but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Monday - 5x5 lifts and training at work... bleh. Training is much further from my house than the office, adding at least a half hour each way, along with requiring me to travel at rush hour times. Poop on a stick.

It was just a long day and longer from the driving.

Squats - 20BW squats

10x45

5x135

5x225

250 sets: 5,5,5,3,4 (Stalled!)

Chin ups (sets of 6 consecutive): 6x7 (6 more not consecutive)

Bench

20 push ups

10x45

5x135

5x5x175

Planks (60 secs each): 4

Rows

10x45

5x115

5x5x130

OHP: 3x8x105

It had to happen sooner or later, and I definitely would not have picked squats as the first one to fail to get my reps on. It just made me mad. Probably several factors that contributed: lack of water drank today, stiffness in my legs from having to sit all day, lingering hamstring tweak, etc. BUT... as Thirster42 says: the iron doesn't lie. Just reinforces my need for a squat cage, so I can push myself that little bit extra and KNOW that I have some steel that can catch the weight.

The rest of the lifts felt good. I hadn't done any planks in a while and was pleasantly surprised I was able to manage four. OHP was ok, any help is good. I think the planks would help as well, engaging the shoulders.

At any rate, I'll hit it hard again on Wednesday. Until then.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Out of 100 men in battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are real fighters,

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Isaiah 40:31 "..but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Tuesday - 35 mins of yoga before work (training, bleh). I did the same video as I did one of the previous weeks, but I liked it so that's allright.

Wednesday - back to 5x5. No accessory work today, I'll have to add in some more tomorrow.

Squats

20 BW

5x45

5x135

5x225

5x5x250 (back on track!, though I did post a new squat form check video in the form check forum)

OHP

20 push ups

10x45

5x115

5x5x130 (very difficult, OHP form check posted)

DL

10x45

5x135

5x225

2x5x255

Workout felt good. I had gotten done a little early with training, so I went ahead and knocked out the workout. I left out any accessory work on purpose, just trying to get my form right and make sure I had enough energy for squats and OHP. Rest times were actually a little shorter than normal; I don't like just sitting around doing nothing :).

Still waiting on my ren fest boots, though my wife did make me a new pouch, woot. Now I have somewhere to stash my wallet and phone.

Training this week was like taking a beating, glad that's over. Tonight is date night with the wife. We're doing a baseball night, like we were going to the ballpark and watching the World Series. We've got chili dogs, nachos, popcorn and ice cream (home made, Thin mint cookie :) ). My inner fat kid is jumping for joy! Plus, it's nice just being able to relax with the wife for a little while.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Ditto on the rest times. Now mine are up around 3 minutes it's so annoying. I do some mobility stuff sometimes (that's not related to what I'm currently working on) and/or look at stuff on my phone hahaha but yeah. boo wait times!

Date night sounds fun! Enjoy!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Thursday - accessory work. Did 100 pull ups in sets of 10 and tried to get as many as I could before stopping. Managed 2 full sets of 10, then 8 and downhill from there.

Also did 30 mins of the "Flexion + External Rotation" for my hip, as recommended by Laura on the Squat form check. Brutal. However, my wife tried it after watching me do it for a while. She told me she thought this would be easy, the husband is doing a nice easy stretch. Wrong-o.

Did a few overhead squats inbetween pull up sets, just to try it out and keep my hips open. Only did the bar and I might have done 40 or so all together, they're not easy. My hat is off to those who are able to pull it off.

Date night last night was pretty cool. Hot dogs were amazing, jalapenos, banana peppers, chili, cheese, yum. Just like the ones I get at the ballpark (probably higher quality here at the house though, ha). The ice cream was freaking awesome. Thin mints (the girl scout cookies) mashed up into homemade vanilla/mint ice cream. Totally worth it. Problem is it put both of us pretty much in a food coma, boo.

Tomorrow will be back to regular programming, probably go do early voting and take the dog to the vet. Until then.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Friday - got done with work a little early and got to go vote. So my civic duty complete, I wandered into the garage and did my 5x5.

Squat

20 BW

10x45

10x135

5x5x205

Bench

20 push ups

10x45

10x135

5x5x180

Rows

10x45

5x115

5x5x135

130 KTE (parkour basic movement)

3x8x105 lbs OHP

I made a conscious effort to squat deep and hold it there for a second or so before coming back up. The deload is humbling, reminding me that I need to get the form correct. I will do what it takes to get my squat weights up though.

Went to the store and bought the wife a sleeping bag and an air mattress for Ren Fest. Also got a lantern, so we have some light in our tent. Two weeks now and we'll be there! I can't wait, it's going to be so much fun. One of my friends sent out some videos today of last years Ren Fest, just as a tickler to show what we've been missing all year. Heh heh, it's gonna be good.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Saturday- my wife ran a 5k run (Monster dash), and did it in 32 mins (5 mins faster than her previous PR). So proud of her. Before this last little bit, she never ran, but she'd power walk a lot. But for this 5k, she ran the whole time, and even remarked she had some energy left in the tank at the end. Again, so proud of her, not only that she did it, but that she stuck with her running class and put the work in up front. She also recently joined nerd fitness :), but had some trouble signing up. So once she gets that all sorted, we'll have a new ranger to add to the rebellion.

Saturday afternoon was spent working on the battlewagon. It now has a working metallic jaw on the front, as well as the standard kung fu action. It's really coming together.

Saturday evening - got a private tour of Minute Maid park (Astros Stadium), very cool. Got to go down on the field, sit where Bush Sr. sits when he goes to the games, went in the visitor's dugout, it was great. Definitely got to cross something off my to do list before we leave Houston. Got to spend quite a bit of time with some good friends, great to see them.

Sunday - church, still feeling pretty wiped out. I haven't really been sleeping well, despite getting to bed early. Sunday afternoon, the same friends that went to the stadium with us, came over and worked on their ren fest costumes. And we definitely made a leather satchel designed specifically to hold a box of wine inside, so he can use the spigot on the outside. So excited and ready to go :).

The evening rolled around and we went to the church's fall festival. My daughter loved the inflatable slides and learned she loved candy. She went as a dog, because she loves her dog so much, ha.

My folks made it back to the States on Friday as well, glad they made it home safely. It's been a busy week or so.

This week is going to be a struggle, as we're going to my folks place starting Thursday evening, so I probably won't be able to do the 5x5, but I'll put a bodyweight workout in or something.

This week's recap:

Goal 1 - no sweat, stuck with the plan. Took a voluntary deload to work on my squat form.

Goal 2 - yoga yes, sprinting no. I'll try to get 2 sprints this week to make it up.

Goal 3 - still struggling with this. I'm able to do plenty of pull ups, just not consecutively. This next week I'll add more volume and try to get some weighted pull ups in as well.

Goal 4 - on track. Ren fest is going to be awesome :).

Until next time

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

YAY for Mrs. Bulwark! That's awesome! And seriously, how many times did people say, "she did the dash. the monster dash."? because it's definitely stuck in my head now :P Glad she's joining up!! I try to convince my better half to get on here but, nerdy as he is, internet communities aren't really his thing :(

Sounds like a pretty good week over all! Keep at those pull ups. They are a tricksy.

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Monday- back to 5x5.

Squats

20 BW

10x45

5x135

5x5x210

OHP

20 push ups

10x45

5x115

135: 5,5,5,4,5 (stalled out, but felt good)

DL

10x45

5x135

5x205

5x255

5x265

50 pull ups (new PR for consecutive: 12)

Still concentrating on squats, making sure I get enough depth and keep knees out. And I had a feeling the OHP one was coming. I think that's one of my goals for next time, do a "boring but big" for OHP.

Pull ups was nice surprise. I had halfheartedly tried to PR on consecutive pull ups last week and showed zero progress, was still stuck at 10. Now I at least have something to show for the gym time.

I am however in a conundrum for the next little bit though. We leave Thursday night to go to my folks place, coming back on Sunday, so no gym there. Once I get back, I leave on Monday for a business trip, getting back on Wednesday, likely no barbells at the hotel. And the Friday following is Ren Fest/my birthday. So when can I get my new PRs to check my goals? Looks like next Wednesday is the only time (after I've been on a plane/at the office/traveling all day) or maybe Thursday.

I'm not stuck about working out, I'll do the advanced bodyweight routine. Even at my folks place, I should be able to get that in, as well as some ranch work. I just want to see my progress on my lifts; see the fruit of my labor.

Anyhow, until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Tuesday - sprints

10x 50 yd sprints morning (for last week)

10 x50 yd sprints evening (for this week)

Also finished up some mock weapons for other folks ren fest costumes, a crossbow, an axe and a forward curving sword (opposite of a scimitar).

Just trying to rest up and get through this week.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Any chance you can look to see about finding a YMCA or something near where you're traveling? A lot of folks do that when they want to lift while out of town.

Your birthday?! Is it the 9th?

Good point about the Y, that's a good idea. I'm really not that worried about it, for the business travel at least. It's the very last day before the "rest" week and I'll still be able to do a bodyweight workout or something. As for headed to my folks place, we're kinda out in the sticks. Very much a 40 min drive to the nearest grocery store :). It's great. There are however, plenty of large rocks and things of that nature to move around.

My birthday is the 9th :). We'll be celebrating in medieval fashion at the Ren fest atop our battlewagon, ha.

I think for the 1RM, I'll do them on Sunday after I get back from my folks place. My brother will be around and he can spot me. Still not a whole lot of help on squats though (which still terrify me to go to a full 1RM; injury, maiming, etc), but it'll be good to see him around.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Yay! Mine is the 10th. Birthday buddies!

Ren fest is an awesome way to celebrate, me thinks.

Don't worry about the squat! You'll be okay! Just focus on getting it every time up until then, do them body weight while you're outta town (with your hands behind your head mimics them best). I'm fully confident you can do it without injuring yourself :)

Wednesday - 5x5 again

60 jumping jacks

7 sets of 6 consecutive close grip chin ups

2 sets of 6 close grip chins not consecutive

Squat

20 BW

10x45

5x135

5x205

5x5x215

2x265

Bench

20 push ups

10x45

5x135

5x5x185

Row

10x45

5x115

5x5x140

20 hanging leg lifts

4x20 leg lifts from the floor

Today was allright. Wish I had enough to get some more chins done, but the squats took precedence. Again, focused on the form and going full ATG for each one. Hit 2 heavier squats, didn't have my safeties set up so I didn't push it. Also wanted to leave some in the tank for the 1RM tests next week.

Took the little one trick or treating for the first time. She went as a puppy dog, since she loves her dog so much. We only hit a few houses, but she loved it; wanted to just walk right into everyone's house and take handfuls of candy (/facepalm), but it was good.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Thursday - drove out to my folks place. Long time in the car, but it was great to get to see everyone. We did stop and I had a chicken fried steak :) when my folks met us in town to pick my brother up from the airport. No workout.

Friday - Celebrated my birthday and thanksgiving with the family! Got some LOTR legos (how cool) and some great food. Had both a pecan praline ham and a turkey breast, with deer sausage stuffing, champagne carrots, mashed potatoes, and my mom's banana pudding. Banana. Pudding. My favorite. Especially coming from my mom. I definitely had a bowl everytime I had a chance. It was awesome.

I was getting ready to do my workout and my dad had a small addition. He's a big believer in workouts that emulate needed things (ie chores). He needed a bag of deer corn from the barn (1/4 mile downhill from the house) and brought back to the house. Stretched out a bit and took off. Sprinted at around 80% down, got the 50 lb bag and the probably 10 lbs of special feed in a coffee can, and turned around back up the hill. Talk about a workout. I think I surprised him with as quickly as I came back. Also got in 2 rounds of the advanced bodyweight workout (as written, no additions) and played some football with my brother and dad.

Saturday - went on a short run with the wife (1.5 miles), did 2 giant hill sprints (probably 300 yards each, about 30%), played football for probably an hour as well as punt pass kick in the front yard. I was really just trying to stay a little active before watching some college football. My alma mater played like garbage, but it's ok, got to watch it with likeminded folks and eat some good food. With all the options, I was pretty good all in all (outside of the banana pudding). Mostly stuck to the meat, salad and fruit, so go me. Got in about 20 mins of stretching during football, so took care of that as well.

Sunday - rest for the most part. Extra hour of sleep, more time with the family and drove home. Probably 4.5 hours in the car, though I did eat Dairy Queen on the drive (no Blizzard, I was TRYING to be good, ha). Once I got home though, I did my retest for 1RM. Had my brother around for spotting, which was nice :):

Bench -

10 Push ups

5x45

2x135

1x225

1x245

1x255

1x265 (still had a little left in the tank, but I knew I'd still have to do OHP, which needed more work)

Squat -

10 BW

5x45

1x135

1x225

1x295

1x315 (good form, felt good)

1x325 (ugly. Ugly.)

OHP

5x45

1x135

1x145

1x155

1x160

1x165 (failed)

DL

5x45

1x135

1x225

1x295

1x315

1x330

1x335

I attribute the new PRs totally to my mom and her good food. For once I had nearly unlimited access to meat (ham, turkey, eggs) and good food all weekend. It was awesome, and I felt great. I got to talk to both my mom and dad indivudually about eating primally and they really didn't make a big deal about it. The only meal that was a problem was breakfast. My dad kept making pancakes (which I had to pass on), turkey bacon (not really paleo) and shunning eggs. My mom was really receptive to the lifestyle, and it was nice to just talk about it and tell them how I felt.

Truth be told, I've not felt this good in years, I've never been stronger in my whole life and to me... it looks sustainable. Very looking forward to the next challenge.

Also, next weekend is Ren fest! Woot! So excited.

Until next time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Challenge Wrap up

I know I'm a little early, but things are unlikely to change in the next day. I'll go through the goals first, then some synopsis.

Goal 1 - Lift heavy things

Increase Big 4 lifts as follows (all listed in lbs):

Bench: 250 -> 265 DONE, new PR 265 lbs.

Overhead press: 145 -> 160 DONE, new PR 160 lbs

Squat: 300 -> 320 DONE, new PR 325 lbs

Deadlift: 315 -> 330 DONE, new PR 335 lbs

+5 str. Followed the program as prescribed, took a deload as suggested in the form check for squats and it paid dividends. I definitely had a conscious effort to eat a little more when approved foods were around, and I think that worked pretty well. A for effort, A+ for results, +5 str

Goal 2 - Run really fast and stretch it out.

Sprint once a week. This is the full on, all out, run for your life type sprint. 5+2/6. Technically missed a week, but made up for it this week, getting 3 sets of sprints in.

Do yoga or mobility work or stretching once per week 6/6, once per week complete.

+2 sta, +1 dex. B+ for effort, A- for results, +2 sta, +1 dex.

Goal 3 - Defy Gravity

Increase consecutive pull ups from 10 -> 15. I will do pull ups as accessory work with my 5x5 at least twice a week. Currently at 12/15 in a row. Did pull ups with nearly every workout, varied grips and practiced consecutive movements. Even practiced where if I didn't meet a prescribed rep range, they didn't count.

Incorporate parkour basic movements as accessory work or on off days (at least once per week). 5/6 complete. I missed this last week, bummer. .

+2 dex, +2 sta Currently A for effort, B for results. +1 dex, +1 sta.

Goal 4 - Know thyself.

Follow the planned budget for the 6 weeks AND finish my ren fest costume. Ren fest costume complete and completely awesome. Tracked spending as closely as I could and still ended up over. Had to take the dog to an unplanned vet visit, gift spending was all lumped in one month (rather than spread out) and had some home repair type work due to selling the house.

+2 wis, +1 cha +1 cha for completed ren fest costume, +1 wis for effort on budget. Overall A- for effort, B- for results.

All in all a successful challenge and a testament to NF keeping me on track. Looking forward to the next challenge and making new progress.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

All in all a successful challenge and a testament to NF keeping me on track. Looking forward to the next challenge and making new progress.

That says it all, I like doing healthy/strong things just so I can tell people on here about it. It's great to have a community like this around.

Nice job bringing the thunda on this challenge sir!

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Thanks folks, much appreciated.

Didn't get to retest the pull ups. Ended up flying to the jobsite, doing a meeting, getting a call saying the equipment won't be showing up and then flying home. A frustrating and disappointing day. I'll edit the post above to reflect final totals.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

Ah, but the one,

- Hericletus 500 BC

Great job on this challenge!! I'm glad the squats are coming along. They are a fickle mistress. But I maintain: impressive numbers, impressive PRs!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines