My first Six-week bite of an Epic Quest Sandwich.

My epic goal is to be a National Guard Chaplain. I already meet the requirements on paper, (ordination, degree's etc). But I am not yet in shape for the physical aspect of training. Also, I have asthma, and would need a waiver to get in. This might be possible because the National Guard is short of Chaplains and could be willing to let me in. To better my chances, I am going to get myself in top physical condition, which may get rid of the asthma anyway.

This six week challenge will be a bite out of the Be-in-shape-for-Chaplain-Training sandwhich. My fitness goals are all related to the epic quest.

Short Version:

Fitness Goal 1: Complete the 100 Pushup six-week Challenge with the ultimate goal of actually doing 100 pushpus. +4 Strength

Fitness Goal 2: Do 25 consecutive Army Sit-ups. I can currently do none, but I found out I was making them to hard on myself when I talked to someone in the Army. +4 Strength

Fitness Goal 3: Run 80% of two miles while walking the other 20%. I can currently run 40% of two miles while walking 60% +4 Stamina

Life Goal: Select two of my officers (I'm a volunteer Police Chaplain) and begin a year long discipleship (A kind of Christian Mentoring) program with them. +3 CHA

Long Version:

Fitness Goal 1: Pretty Self Explanatory. Two points will be for doing the six week program, 1 point if I get to 50 pushups, 1 point if I finish all 100, for a total of +4 STR

Fitness Goal 2: Also pretty self explanatory. If at the end of six weeks I can do six situps, +1, 12 situps=+2, 19 situps =+3, and the full 25 for +4.

Fitness Goal 3: I started out walking the whole 2 miles. After five weeks of running six times a week, I got up to about 40% run (not very fast, but speed is an issue after I start running the full 2 miles). My legs started to protest at the end of week 5, so I will go to running every other day. I have a half mile course mapped out on sidewalks in my neighborhood. I start out running, at a predetermined point I go to walking. (I move this point further out each time I run). When I hit the half mile point I turn and come back, and start running once I hit the switch point. I run to the starting position, turn around and run to the switch point. I walk to the half mile mark and back to the switch point, where I run the rest of the way. As of this writing, the switch point was at .2 miles (40%). In order to get the full +4 to stamina I have to move the Switch point to .4 miles (which would translate to 80%). Moving to 50% would get me only +1, +2 for 60%, +3 for 70%, and +4 for 80% or better.

Life Goal: I will find 2 officers to join me for once a week sessions for Christian Mentoring. This is an all or nothing goal, I have to select two officers and get the weekly meetings started before the six week challenge ends. I selected Charisma for this goal because community service quests in Baldur's gate would increase reputation, and in D&D persuasion is linked to Charisma.

Workout Plan:

Tu,TH,Sat Warm up with Jumping Jacks, then 3 sets of planking, hold time to increase by 1 second each workout. (I wrote this out before the start date of the sesison was announced, I can currently do 24 seconds).

2 Mile Run walk, see Fitness goal 3 for specifics of ratio of running to walking. Cool down with stretches.

M,W,F Strength training.

Warm up

100 push up plan workout

3 sets of 5 dead-lifts (Start with low weight and increase each workout till I find the challenge).

One-freakin-pull-up plan

3 sets of 5 squats (same weight plan as dead-lifts)

Sit-ups (work to 25, add one each workout)

3 sets of 5 Military Press (Same weight plan as dead-lifts and squats)

Cool down

For Variety I will alternate between doing this workout as a circuit and doing each activity seperately.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm excited, I had been trying to add one per day, but in reality I was adding one every three or four days, and I wasn't really giving myself rest. At first I was doing the exact same workout six days a week. Since I've started alternating, my calves have been much happier.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Love your goals!!

I have a similar one (kinda... and in an easier level) which is the running one... i also have asthma and it does make running harder. I am sure you will make it tho!!!

Intro: Intro thread

Current challenge: Shoobie's baby steps to greatness

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

Thanks for the encouragement. I find that if I push through the tight lungs while running they actually open up about 1/4 of the way in. I'm hoping that will have a cumulative effect. I used my lunch break to run, and got a personal best, 2 miles in 30 min!

Current Challenge

One of the seargents in my sub-station is a command seargent major in the Idaho national guard (he was recently in the Texas guard but there was a better position for him in Idaho, he commutes once a month now, go figure), who has helped me with my form. All my officers (and family and friends) are extremely supportive, and many are in the guard and reserves, so I have plenty of eyes who can help me with form.

Current Challenge

Those sound like great goals. I look forward to seeing how they all progress. You'll do great with the running. The most important factor is your consistency and it sounds like you've got that taken care of. If it's helpful to you at all, I can tell you that I run 3x per week and never on consecutive days. Those legs need time to heal. Also, most people forget that running makes your leg muscles stronger. Allowing a day between runs allows those muscles to repair and strengthen more than doing it day after day. Instead, I run 3x per week and also add in two, 30-minute no-impact cardio exercise sessions where I elevate my heart rate to roughly the same level as if I was running. I get the same endurance benefit that way without the leg damage. My normal week looks like this:

- Monday - no cardio exercise due to guitar lesson

- Tuesday - running (interval/speed training)

- Wednesday - 30 minutes on rowing machine at fast speed

- Thursday - running (tempo run)

- Friday - last day of the work week rest day!

- Saturday - 30 minutes on rowing machine or stationary bike at fast speed

- Sunday - running (long run)

The other thing you might want to consider which helps me tremendously is to read a good book about running (Born to Run by Christopher McDougall is a great place to start). When I read a good book on a topic I'm interested in, it motivates me to get out there and do it! Perhaps it would have the same effect on you.

Keep it up! You've got this!

Ranger Adam
STR:3 | DEX:8 | STA:7 | CON:7 | WIS:7 | CHA:3.5
My Current Challenge | MyFitnessPal

"It is very wrong for people to feel deeply sad when they lose some money, yet when they waste the precious moments of their lives, they do not have the slightest feeling of repentance." - Dalai Lama

Okay, so day one went great. I did all my reps except in Inverted rows, i did 3 sets of 4 instead of 3x8. Once I hit 3x8 I lower the bar on the smith machine. Also, after not being able to do any situps I can now do six. That happened after I learned I was using bad form and making the situps harder on myself, and also after stopping situp attempts for a while and building my planking till I could do 3 sets of 30 seconds (ultimate goal is 3x90 seconds). Today is my run/walk. If I run a little more today than the last time, WIN!

Current Challenge

wooohooo!!! Sounds like a great first day tanktimus!!!! (can i call you tank??? i keep thinking of you as a transformer of some sort coz of optimus prime... yeah i am weird that way)

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

There is another user called Tank on the adventurer board, but sure a lot of people call me Tank. And yes, I've considered the possiblity that if I ever get the matrix of leadership, I shall become Tanktimus Prime, although it began as a way to latinize Tank.

Current Challenge

There is another user called Tank on the adventurer board, but sure a lot of people call me Tank. And yes, I've considered the possiblity that if I ever get the matrix of leadership, I shall become Tanktimus Prime, although it began as a way to latinize Tank.

Yeah, I saw that right after i posted on here!!! I might have to call you Prime :P

Either way latinizing things is awesome!!! i might call you tanktimus-us-us :P

These are great goals. Very good plan of attack as well.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

I really like your pushup goal! I suck royally at pushups, so I want to focus on that and try to put some muscle on my little pipecleaner arms. I also like your running goal, and I'm totally certain you can do it. When I started jogging a few months ago, I could barely do 1.4 miles, and it would leave me pretty much destroyed. Now I can do 6 miles - slowly, I'll grant you, but it's still a heckuva lot better than when I started. A friend of mine who runs a fair bit told me that humans are actually adapted to run, so it's something you can see a lot of progress at relatively quickly. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

I got my nickname many years ago. I beat won a tug-of-war by myself after my whole team slipped off the rope. I beat five guys myself, but that was when I was 18. The name has stuck. All my friends from that time still call me Tank, and some of their parents do, too.

It's always good to know others in heavy cavalry.

• Like 1

ETERNIAN RANGER
Level 1 | STR: 5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 2 | STA: 1| WIS: 5 | CHA: 1
Current Challenge
Tank's Battle Log

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." Joseph Campbell

Strength day was yesterday, managed to do 3/8 inverted rows, lowering the bar for Friday. Used 20lb dumbells for squats, deadlifts and mil press, but it was hard enough I'm going to use the same weight on Friday. Increased to 7 situps, considering a sit up plan similar to the pushup plan I'm doing. Did well on the Pushups too. Yesterday I did all the exercises together in a circut rather than completing them individually, I was sweating a lot harder than otherwise, and I think I finished faster. Going to do them individually on Friday then decide if I want to keep alternating or do a circuit permanently. Run is today.

Current Challenge

Did my run earlier, found out why the day before was so hard. Having some chest congestion/respirtory infection issues. As a result, my lung capacity is somewhat diminshed right now. Didn't appear to affect my strength workout yesterday, affected my run today, I had to do some intervals on the run portion and I was slowed down when I did run. Still finished the 2 miles though, as that's better than not doing anythign. I was drenched when I was done, so I was obviously pushing myself pretty well despite the congestion.

Current Challenge

Ugh, you have the crud that's going around. I had it a couple of weeks ago and it turned into bronchitis and pneumonia, though I blame the escalation on my smoking. Most people aren't that unlucky. Hopefully you'll be back to normal in a couple of days. Sounds like you are doing well on the workouts despite it!

Emptyknight - Level 4 Human Adventurer
Str 9 | Dex 5.75 | Sta 5.25 | Con 9.25 | Wis 10.75 | Cha 7.5
Highest Wt 301lbs - Challenge Start 270 lbs - Current 260 lbs | Highest BF% 38 - Current% 33
My Current Challenge

Life before Death. Strength before Weakness. Journey before Destination.

Did my run earlier, found out why the day before was so hard. Having some chest congestion/respirtory infection issues. As a result, my lung capacity is somewhat diminshed right now. Didn't appear to affect my strength workout yesterday, affected my run today, I had to do some intervals on the run portion and I was slowed down when I did run. Still finished the 2 miles though, as that's better than not doing anythign. I was drenched when I was done, so I was obviously pushing myself pretty well despite the congestion.

I hope you feel better soon!!! and awesome job on keeping up! But don't forget to listen to your body...

Bleh. Lots of people are sick right now, unfortunately. Still, GO YOU for sticking with it and finishing anyway, even when it got really rough!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines