Weirdquark's Putting It All Together Challenge: A Year in Review

weirdquark

Just re-read your challenge goals, and noticed the grad school goal. What are the options you're looking at?

At the moment, none. I have a library degree and want to work with digital collections. There are various options for second degrees that have something to do with what I want, but they're all not quite what I think I want and may or may not be useful anyway. So I'm focusing on more job related things that aren't being in a classroom instead.

Went to the gym this evening and bouldered for about an hour. I was going to try a set of pullups beforehand but the assistance machines were in use. I took a break around the half hour point and managed a set of ten at level six again which was much harder than when relatively fresh but still manageable. Ran out of grip after an hour and no longer could do pullups but dips still worked okay -- I should do those with less assist too.

Went to the gym this evening and bouldered for about an hour. I was going to try a set of pullups beforehand but the assistance machines were in use. I took a break around the half hour point and managed a set of ten at level six again which was much harder than when relatively fresh but still manageable. Ran out of grip after an hour and no longer could do pullups but dips still worked okay -- I should do those with less assist too.

Nice, how long does it take your grip to recover after a bouldering session?

Also, regarding digital collections.. a few years ago I was taking classes on CS in literature and digital humanities. Is that kind of the direction you're looking at?

Nice, how long does it take your grip to recover after a bouldering session?

Also, regarding digital collections.. a few years ago I was taking classes on CS in literature and digital humanities. Is that kind of the direction you're looking at?

It depends on how badly I beat my hands up-- if they're just tired and roughed up, giving them a day to rest should do-- they wouldn't have been able to grip anything of significant weight this morning and it felt awkward wrapping my fingers around the bar so I did front squats because that meant I wouldn't have to grip it. But they should be fine tomorrow morning for lifting and bouldering in the evening again. I may or may not be able to boulder a third time on Saturday -- the last time I did Tuesday-Thursday on the wall I got and ripped open a blister, so we'll see how that goes. It would probably be better to boulder Tuesday-Saturday, but Saturday gym time is harder to schedule with everyone so it's not a habit yet and I don't always go.

Digital humanities is one of the options I've looked at, and there's even a program at the university where I work with a professor in the department who has an interest in digital libraries. But the program looks more computer science/programming heavy than what is useful for me as a librarian; I like programming, but mostly I want to understand what sort of options I have for creating the collections since my goal is making things available to people online and not building the database from scratch.

Workout!

Dynamic warmup

Front squats

5x5 @55

Light weight for a light day and front squats so I don't have to hold the bar with my hands.

Stretching

Hip stuff

Nice workout! If it's me, working toward a PR is better at the start of a workout. Then again, splitting the difference sounds intelligent, too. As usual, you've thought of everything!

I don't know about that-- there wasn't really a plan. I just decided to do sets of ten and then thought, hey, if I can do ten at 35, I should be able to do 45, right? I'd normally work towards PRs at the beginning too; this was a last minute thing.

awesome workout.

you work out at like...5am?

I lift at home so I can do the roll out of bed and warmup thing. I've been getting up at 6 and starting by 6:20 for longer workouts and getting up at 6:30-ish and starting between 6:45 and 7 for shorter ones and go until 7:20 which is when I have to stop to eat/shower/stretch/whatever else I do to get out of the house by 8.

I second this!

Thanks!

These are great goals. I've always wanted to try bouldering.

If I go to the doctors for a physical during this time period, having the nurse or doctor tell me what I weigh does not count: I don’t want to bother to explain that I don’t want to know what I weigh, so they will tell me, but if I do, I can get a fifth point to play with.

I have to go to the doctor every three months. When I hit about 155, I started flatly refusing to get on the scale. Not, like, in a rude way; I'd just say "Can we skip the weigh-in? I weigh about 155." It would get me odd looks, but no one ever argued with me.

The whole weight thing is such a hard thing to get past, isn't it? That's given me more issues and grief than trying to get my OHP to go up, and that's saying something.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

These are great goals. I've always wanted to try bouldering.

I have to go to the doctor every three months. When I hit about 155, I started flatly refusing to get on the scale. Not, like, in a rude way; I'd just say "Can we skip the weigh-in? I weigh about 155." It would get me odd looks, but no one ever argued with me.

The whole weight thing is such a hard thing to get past, isn't it? That's given me more issues and grief than trying to get my OHP to go up, and that's saying something.

It bugs me because I'm usually rational about things and this just isn't. But I don't want to not know what I weigh, I want to not care. So.

Dynamic warmup

The usual

Squats

1x8 @35

1x5 @65

1x0 @105 (sigh)

1x3 @85 (starting first rep from the bottom)

1x1 @105

1x0 @125

1x1 @85 (bottom to rack)

1x0 @115

Not sure if this is due to being slightly sick or needing more recovery time than even the light days give -- it's not the major muscles that are the problem though, it's the hip flexors not having enough bounce.

RDL

2x5 @105

For hip flexors

OHP

1x8 @35

1x5 @55

1x2 @75

1x6 @65

1x8 @60

1x10 @55

It bugs me because I'm usually rational about things and this just isn't. But I don't want to not know what I weigh, I want to not care. So.

I agree. And I know I have weight to lose, but here's the thing - when I get caught up in the number and not how I look or feel, then it takes away from the actual REAL reason people should be weighing themselves - health. I'd rather a doctor measured me or had a way to do BF% beyond those stupid hand-held things. For example, the waist-hip ratio is supposed to be a better indicator of heart disease (or used to be, who knows if it still is). She sould take those measurements each time and say, "Did you know you've gained two more inches in your belly?" And then tell me why THAT'S bad. (And I guess by "she" I should mean the nurse. Not that the nurse ever says anythign about my weight.)

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

this makes total sense.

the scale is definitely a mind messing device.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

I saw a product review on Stumptuous.com for the Zero Scale which tracks changes in your weight so you can pay attention to fluctuations and trends but doesn't tell you what your weight is. So you get on the scale to calibrate it for yourself and then the next time you get on it will tell you what the difference is. This seems more useful and potentially less crazy making than the regular kind, though you can still obsess over why your numbers aren't going in the direction you want them to.

I saw a product review on Stumptuous.com for the Zero Scale which tracks changes in your weight so you can pay attention to fluctuations and trends but doesn't tell you what your weight is. So you get on the scale to calibrate it for yourself and then the next time you get on it will tell you what the difference is. This seems more useful and potentially less crazy making than the regular kind, though you can still obsess over why your numbers aren't going in the direction you want them to.

I'm trying to decide how valuable this is...and coming to the conclusion that it's probably "not very." I mean, the kind of person who is going to freak out over the absolute number would still freak out if s/he saw "+1.2" one day, right?

I'm trying to decide how valuable this is...and coming to the conclusion that it's probably "not very." I mean, the kind of person who is going to freak out over the absolute number would still freak out if s/he saw "+1.2" one day, right?

That's why I say potentially less crazy making. People can freak out over anything. :)

Did a bit more bouldering tonight, but not much because my hands were feeling rough and painful and my arms were still tired. There are, I believe, five V0 routes. I can manage three of them pretty well, the fourth with small amounts of cheating (using non-route holds,) and the fifth I haven't figured out yet; there's an underhand grip for one thing and the grips are further apart and I haven't figured out what I need to do to reach them yet.

I also went to the weight room. Before climbing I managed a set of 10 parallel grip pullups at level 5 assist (22lbs) and a set of ten dips at level 8 (40lbs). After lifting I did another set of ten pullups at level six and a set of ten dips at level 8 again; I tried some wide grip pullups and I think I managed five at level 8 and then squeezed out some more dips, though I didn't get to ten. But if I can manage pullups at level 5 and am correct about the amount of assist my resistance band gives (20lbs), I should be able to work on sets of ten at home too.

Leg raises: 3x10

Squats: 1x8@45 1x3@95 1x2@115 1x0@135

Should have thrown in a set at 125. I was going to drop down and try it again but it was late and I left instead.

Yay! You always kick the mini challenge's butt! I'm struggling with burpees since I realized they involve pushups. This makes them infinitely harder (duh!). But I'm working through them. Pushups may not be perfect, yet, but hopefully by the end of the challenge my form will improve! I'm keenly aware it's been awhile since I've focused on pushups!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Yay! You always kick the mini challenge's butt! I'm struggling with burpees since I realized they involve pushups. This makes them infinitely harder (duh!). But I'm working through them. Pushups may not be perfect, yet, but hopefully by the end of the challenge my form will improve! I'm keenly aware it's been awhile since I've focused on pushups!

I used to do metcons with sets of ten (pushup free) burpees ever minute. Can't do ten with pushups though, not if I'm going to get enough rest to do the next set thirty seconds later. But it's good to focus on pushups every once in a while!

Uh oh, you're not getting sick are you? Nice bit of work you've done the past couple of days, and you are definitely bringing it with the burpees, keep it up!

I think I'm holding off a cold -- one of my roommates was sick with a sore throat and fever. I've had phlegm buildup and my throat has been a bit sore off and on, but I don't think I'm feverish since other than throat gunk I feel fine.

You really do always kill these mini challenges. I love reading your updates. Ridic.

Rest up! No sick warrior!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

pull ups and dips. awesome.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Dynamic warmup

Included 1x10 burpees

Squats

1x5 @55

1x5 @65

1x3 @80

1x5 @95

1x3 @110

1x1 @120

Hip flexor area not happy. I'm not sure if it's from squatting every day even at light weights and not having recovery time or if it's that I haven't been doing the hip exercises I was using for my 'stretching' after workouts. I'm going to add those back in and keep squatting light and medium things for another week and see how I feel.

Burpees 2x10

DB rows

4x15 @52.5

Alternated with sets of ten burpees

Windmills

1x1 @22.5

2x10 @12.5

Wasn't up for the heavier weight today, again due to the sore hip flexor area.

Alternated with sets of ten burpees.

Stretched

Hip stuff. Sad hip flexors.

All in all, ended up with 10x10 burpees for the workout. This so counts for my burst training for bouldering.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines