Weirdquark's Putting It All Together Challenge: A Year in Review

weirdquark

I need to do more dips. They're badass and I should be able to do more of them than I can currently do. I mean seriously, why can I do more pullups than dips?

well. i can do kipping pull ups, but zero dips.

so....

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Did a bit of the usual dynamic warmup but mostly alternated burpees and overhead squats/snatches today.

Hang snatch/overhead squat

1x5 @15

1x5 @25

1x5 @35

1x4 @40

Overhead squat

1x4 @40

2x5 @40

The first round I was doing a hang snatch into an overhead squat; the last three sets at 40 I just got it overhead the once and tried for 5 reps. Still getting the hang of this weight.

Burpee count: 5x10

And finally, my roommate bought a gelato maker because after being in Italy for a year decided that she could not survive without gelato. So today I made my post workout shake with unflavored protein powder and sugar and chocolate and threw it in the gelato maker while I worked out and when I came back had a high protein chocolate gelato. The macro breakdown isn't too bad either -- I want to tweak it to see if I can get away with using less sugar (some sugar is needed to make the chemistry go but I don't know how much) either by cutting out the extra chocolate or by subbing in fruit for the sugar and keeping the dark chocolate, but if nothing else, I achieved high protein low fat ice cream.

Wow, you're the burpee master!

And your views on F* the scale are refreshing. I didn't have access to my normal scale for the last challenge, so it was just little surprises along the way, like sudden definition or looser clothes, that showed progress in the direction I wanted.

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

My body isn't all that happy with me right now either. I did one more set of ten last night to round out my final numbers and they were the slowest-ass burpees I think I've ever done. :)

Made another post workout gelato -- I added dark chocolate but no extra sugar; I put in a peach instead. It didn't set as well as the batch with the sugar, so it was a bit softer (and yesterday's batch was already pretty soft) but still yummy and full of protein and not too many carbs considering it's gelato.

Bear Complex

Clean

Front squat

Push Press

Back Squat

Push Press

7 reps per round @45, 55, 65, and 70

I didn't quite finish the round at 70 -- the sixth push press from behind my head was shaky enough that I didn't want to try it again, but that's the only thing I left out -- I did seven reps of everything else. I didn't try a fifth round at 75 since the behind the head push press was hard enough at 70. But not bad for my first full bear -- I tried this before but forgot that there were cleans and didn't remember how many reps each round had and only did three, which was much easier. :D I might be able to do 75 from behind my head if I was only doing three reps.

Did some squats to work up to squat negatives: 1x1 @105 (normal) 1x1 @125 (negative) 1x1 @135 (negative) 1x1 @145 (negative) I was able to squat 105 back up from the bottom to rerack after 125 but not after 135. Legs were done with going up I guess.

Stretched

Hip stuff.

Dang. My whole body is pissed right now. And says, "Burpees? NO MOAR BURPEES!" You are the master!

I got on the scale this weekend. Ruined my weekend. Got on it again this morning somehow thinking things would have changed. They didn't. No more scale for two weeks.

Not getting on the scale sounds like a good plan to me.

Can you kip dips?

yes, you can, but i think it's harder. the stability part in dips is what kills me.

And finally, my roommate bought a gelato maker because after being in Italy for a year decided that she could not survive without gelato. So today I made my post workout shake with unflavored protein powder and sugar and chocolate and threw it in the gelato maker while I worked out and when I came back had a high protein chocolate gelato. The macro breakdown isn't too bad either -- I want to tweak it to see if I can get away with using less sugar (some sugar is needed to make the chemistry go but I don't know how much) either by cutting out the extra chocolate or by subbing in fruit for the sugar and keeping the dark chocolate, but if nothing else, I achieved high protein low fat ice cream.

you had me at high protein gelato.

Bear Complex

Clean

Front squat

Push Press

Back Squat

Push Press

fantastic job on this. the bear complex really takes it out of you. (or me!)

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Approximate macro breakdown for todays post workout gelato:

416 calories

18.2g fat

43g carbs

5.2g fiber

30g protein

This assumes I used a cup of milk for the full batch (I ate about half of it) but I think I used a bit more than a cup and this doesn't count the unsweetened coco powder, which adds another 10 calories or so. But not bad for ice cream, eh?

Recipe

~1cup milk

3oz dark chocolate, chopped fine

1 peach

2 scoops chocolate protein powder

2 heaping tablespoons unsweetened coco powder

Some spices (ginger, pumpkin pie spices, etc.)

Blend in vitamix, stick in gelato maker and run until workout is over. Enough for two servings of post workout awesomeness assuming you're aiming for ~400 calories of that, which I usually do. Gelato will be a bit softer than it should be and a bit more frozen around the edges due to not having enough sugar, but will taste yummy. Also, you're eating high protein gelato for a post workout snack. Life is good.

I feel like I'm running out of reasons not to do the bear complex, I could get a couple of bumper plates at play it again sports and be on my way.

Nice job with the workout!

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

you had me at high protein gelato.

Posted recipe with approximate macro breakdown. It's awesome as a post workout shake too, but turning it into gelato pushes it over the edge into ridiculously awesome territory.

fantastic job on this. the bear complex really takes it out of you. (or me!)
Nice work wq! Le Bear is one tough beast.

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how I did; I can usually strict press 70 in sets of three, so I guess push pressing it (13 times this run omg) for longer sets is a good place to be.

Week 1 Recap

Fitness

1.Some Numbers Are Not Important (+2 CON +1 WIS)

F*ck the Scale and the Body Comp It Rode in On

Mindful Eating

I have not tracked my weight or measurements all week, so I continue to have 4 points. Mindful eating goes fine. I haven't been eating great; forgot lunch one day and had to fast/snack on the soynuts I kept at work, and since we broke out that gelato maker I've been eating more sugar than usual, but I think I've been eating a reasonable amount and I haven't been snacking due to boredom; all food has been because I needed to eat or decided to have a treat with my housemates, and that's the point of the mindful eating. So I continue to have 42 points here as well.

And high protein gelato for a post workout snack is awesome.

2. Do Ten Consecutive Unassisted Pullups (+3 STA +2 STR)

I've been doing assisted pullups at the gym and have struggled through 1x10 at level 5 (22lb assist) once and have done 1x10 a couple of times before and after bouldering at level 6 (28lb assist) so I think I'm making progress. I tried maxing out using my resistance band at home which I think gives about 20lbs assist and only got 8 reps. I can probably blame the burpees this weekend for that. Possibly I will be well rested one day and will get more than that.

3. BW Squats Level 2: Make My BW My Working Weight (+3 STR +2 STA)

I did get 135 as a 1RM in the morning once, but otherwise no progress on getting past 115 for my heavy working weight. I might need to take a day off from squatting every day and give myself some recovery time. But for the next week I want to keep it up and am adding in hip stretches to help get me more bounce, which is where I'm running into trouble again/still.

Life

1. That Job I Want (+1 WIS +1 CHA)

I actually did this a couple of days before the challenge officially started, but I'm counting it anyway; I went through a list of open access library journals and made a table with all of the info for the ones published in the US - still need to add international ones that publish in English. Not sure if I'm going to do a literature review or just use it as a "I could write an article and submit it to the following places" list, but either way it should be helpful.

My body isn't all that happy with me right now either. I did one more set of ten last night to round out my final numbers and they were the slowest-ass burpees I think I've ever done. :)

Bear Complex

Clean

Front squat

Push Press

Back Squat

Push Press

I didn't quite finish the round at 70 -- the sixth push press from behind my head was shaky enough that I didn't want to try it again, but that's the only thing I left out -- I did seven reps of everything else. I didn't try a fifth round at 75 since the behind the head push press was hard enough at 70. But not bad for my first full bear -- I tried this before but forgot that there were cleans and didn't remember how many reps each round had and only did three, which was much easier. :D I might be able to do 75 from behind my head if I was only doing three reps.

Did some squats to work up to squat negatives: 1x1 @105 (normal) 1x1 @125 (negative) 1x1 @135 (negative) 1x1 @145 (negative) I was able to squat 105 back up from the bottom to rerack after 125 but not after 135. Legs were done with going up I guess.

Stretched

Hip stuff.

That's exactly how my last 50 or so burpees were.... so slow I hesitated counting them. But then I figured I didn't torture myself for nothing haha.

Nice job on the bear complex... that series looks beastly (pun) and not something I'll be trying anytime soon!

Nice work! That gelato recipe sounds great! I'm logging that away for later :)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

awesome week 1.

i'm also very jealous that you have a vitamix.

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

That's exactly how my last 50 or so burpees were.... so slow I hesitated counting them. But then I figured I didn't torture myself for nothing haha.

Nice job on the bear complex... that series looks beastly (pun) and not something I'll be trying anytime soon!

Heh. Slow burpees are still burpees.

The bear complex is pretty fun, but you definitely want to start with a low weight because pressing from behind your head? Harder than pressing the normal way and that's not something you want to fail at.

wow.

Beast

and gelato.

you rock!

Thanks!

Nice work! That gelato recipe sounds great! I'm logging that away for later :)

Thanks! The gelato is better as gelato if you use about a 1/4 cup of sugar instead of the peach, but it's still pretty good and is probably better as a post workout snack if the carbs are a bit lower than the full sugar version.

awesome week 1.

i'm also very jealous that you have a vitamix.

Thanks! My dad gave me the Vitamix because he was getting rid of some kitchen stuff -- I remember helping make pesto with it when I was a kid, so it's about as old as I am. :)

Excellent week 1. Mindful eating definitely looks to me like the way to go.

I did the bear a few challenges back as my Friday workout, but have subsequently become addicted to my kettlebell.

Maybe I should try the bear again since it is fun, and seriously exhausting. I think it is the 7 reps thing that makes it so hard!

Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air.
They are where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them
. - Henry David Thoreau

Solid work for week one! I'm not gonna lie...I really like the sound of protein gelato.

Different is good, and you can't go wrong with overhead squats! :)

If you're using whey and therefore can consume dairy, I can't see how you could go wrong with protein gelato for post workout snacks.

And really, there are ways to do non-dairy gelato (we made some with almond milk) so you could use a non-dairy protein powder and be paleo or nearly so!

I agree. That gelato sounds delicious! I need to think outside the box with sweets-related stuff. It's definitely possible to make some less-sugared versions of stuff I crave!

Nice job on the bear complex. And the OH squats!

This is what I use flavored protein powder for. Vanilla flavored protein powder makes very sweet cookie dough substitute.

Great job on the pullups. Im sure you'll whomp your goal.

My mother just moved to Seattle and she's staying with me for a few months. One of the possessions she brought along was a Vitamix and it's been so awesome to have one in the house. Now I must make some gelato.

Hope so! I did a set of 11 on assist 6 last night -- I thought going to failure might be useful and increasing my endurance at the higher assistance levels should help with endurance with less assistance. I can't do multiple sets of ten yet, not at level 6 anyway, but I only need to do one unassisted set to make my goal, so that's probably okay.

Having a gelato maker in the house is pretty awesome.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines