CalvinHobbes' "it's only work if somebody makes you do it" challenge

CalvinHobbes

Last challenge ended up being a pretty huge bust for me. I didn't get to work out nearly as much as I liked because of varying things--injuries, spontaneously going back to Boston for a weekend, Texas more times than I'd like (heh sorry bigm), picking up shifts, etc.

FITNESS GOALS:

1) Strength: Deadlift 200 x 5, Squat 150 x 5, Bench 100 x 5, 2 pull-ups

-Current numbers: Deadlift 140 x 5, Squat 90 x 5, Bench 65 x 5. I did one pull-up ONCE, then never could again. Continue Starting Strength with some pull-up work 3-4 times a week. I think this should be attainable with hard work. Not sure on the pull-ups, but reaching high.

Edit 9/27-->OH MAN. I had planned on my goals being DL 200x1, squat 150x1, bench 100x1, and 2 pull ups. So, since 5 reps is the goal I wrote at the beginning, it's what I'll grade myself on, but I'll be pretty darn happy if these are my 1RM.

2) Distance/Mobility: Run 3 days/week.

-I need to get outside and active, especially now that the weather is cooling down. My cardiovascular endurance sucks. I'm thinking I'll increase my longest run every week, with a goal of 6 miles at the longest by the end of the challenge. To keep myself from getting hurt, which I have trouble with frequently, I'm going to do MWODs every day. These are included together because without the mobility/stretching I'll be sore and less likely to run.

3) Diet: Whole-30

-I need to figure out once and for all how beneficial paleo is for me. I am going to finish the whole-30 challenge. I don't really understand why it is so difficult for me, since thousands of people have done it in the past, many on NF and on other sites. I have a wedding to go to October 28, so luckily this will end right before then. Also, I know I have to eat more, so I'll be counting calories. Some days I feel great with a low amount of calories, then the next day I'm weak and binge eat on non-paleo foods. Addendum: NO DUNKIN DONUTS!!

LIFE GOAL:

Be more social.

-This counts for both in real life and on NF. I realize I'm almost never supportive on the forums, where I continue to read a post, want to say something, but I'm afraid of sounding stupid/repetitive/not helpful. Also, here in Phoenix I never really do anything social. Don't get me wrong, I have fun, but always alone. I have a million acquaintances down here--I should easily just invite someone somewhere.

Things that don't count as being social, no matter how hard I try/beg:

1) Intense discussions on books with the librarian (it's her job)

2) Saying hello to the cashier at the grocery store (it's their job)

3) Lengthy conversations with my patients (it's my job)

OK, that's all for now.

aw this is adorable.

... but anyway. nice goals. that deadlift goal is mighty intense. i like it. and i like the whole 30 challenge; rooting for you on that one, and excited to see the progress!!

also, super sad i didnt get to see you for the meet-up. :( if i'd known you were around before everyone got to seth's, i totally would've met up with you! next time, we'll plan better.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Great goals! I to have the stay silent bug, this is something I should probably start working on as well. Good luck!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 2 MartianWarrior

STR 9/DEX 2/ STAM 3.75/ CON 3/ WIS 6/ CHA 3

"Fads come and go, but the barbell remains the same. Respect it accordingly." - Jim Wendler

"When I want to be a super hero, I just wake up" - Childish Gambino

Last challenge ended up being a pretty huge bust for me. I didn't get to work out nearly as much as I liked because of varying things--injuries, spontaneously going back to Boston for a weekend, Texas more times than I'd like (heh sorry bigm), picking up shifts, etc.

That's because you don't come hang out with me. I'm a barrel of fun. :D

When you move here for good it'll be better.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I'm liking the goals! Big pushes on the weights. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

I'm giving some thought into Whole-30 as well, after talking with Staci in Boston. Also, bummed we didn't get a chance to meet and crazy how close we were to bumping into each other on top of it!

As for the social thing...yes, just got to put yourself out there in the real world. As for here, I get what your're saying 100%. I'm still feel that I'm new to all this, so I have a hard time seeing how I can help without coming across as if I don't know what I'm talking about. I've found that once I do become knowledgeable on something, I'll step up on those topics and just learn on the others until I'm comfortable.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I need to figure out once and for all how beneficial paleo is for me

Hmm, now you've got me wondering if Whole30 needs to be one of my goals... I've played with paleo for a while, but haven't really given into it, maybe I should.

Things that don't count as being social, no matter how hard I try/beg:

My girlfriend is a librarian and she loves talking books, so I'm sure your librarian is getting as much out of it as you are.

All in all though, the goals look good, I think you can reach them with style! Good luck!

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

MamaT-I know! That was a huge fail on my part :( next time...

Khep-working on the silent thing. It's weird--when I'm actually doing something I'm an extrovert, but getting out is the issue!

Pixie--AWESOME! Glad we are all doing it!

Caution--sounds like we are all aspiring to be sprinting warriors!

Tin man--we always have eerily similar goals...

Bigm--not happening!

Wildross--loving being a nurse. Took forever to figure it out, but I can't see myself doing anything else (except maybe becoming a physician assistant or some other advanced degree)

Zatchmo--glad there are other CH lovers!! My dogs were named Calvin and Hobbes ;)

Iced (wizard?) trip--so sad we didn't get to meet! Could have had a flying buddy. And yea, I do say some things on here, but I'm not as active as I could be, considering how much I read on the forums...

Max--I'll still talk to the librarians! It's the best 3-4 days of the week when I go ;) I just can't count it as being social...

You are a total badass! You got this!

Also...

I realize I'm almost never supportive on the forums, where I continue to read a post, want to say something, but I'm afraid of sounding stupid/repetitive/not helpful.

When in doubt, post. We love hearing from you! :)

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

this is awesome.

i am sad i didn't get to meet you at the bbq. :(

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Tried to post pictures of my "starting" photos, but it won't upload for some reason. I'll try again later.

Starting stats:

Waist: 30"

Hips: 39"

Thighs: 23.5"

Weight: will post later...I don't own a scale so I have to use the one at the gym...edit: the one at the gym is broken too, so no weighing for me. Oh well. I'll weigh myself at the end if I can, just for fun.

My girlfriend is a librarian and she loves talking books, so I'm sure your librarian is getting as much out of it as you are.

+1

You are a total badass! You got this!

Also...

When in doubt, post. We love hearing from you! :)

This!^ Yes!

Great goals!!! Seriously! I feel you on the social goal... I'm sure you've seen socially awkward penguin? If someone made these then I know I'm not alone (and many of these are play a part in the 'why' behind my social aversion).

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

+1 for not owning a scale. Throwing mine out was one of the best things I've ever did.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 2 MartianWarrior

STR 9/DEX 2/ STAM 3.75/ CON 3/ WIS 6/ CHA 3

"Fads come and go, but the barbell remains the same. Respect it accordingly." - Jim Wendler

"When I want to be a super hero, I just wake up" - Childish Gambino

Great goals, and good luck with the diet, for more reinforcement, I have been eating paleo for a week and a half, and I'm down 10 pounds and feel amazing, it's not as hard as I thought it would be, especially after how good I felt after the first few days

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jrock817,

level 1 Spartan Warrior

STR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|

|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 3

[/TABLE]

Current challenge thread

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?18262-Jrock-s-getting-back-into-the-game-challenge&p=309102#post309102

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines