Chocolate, coffee and alcohol...

Rebel

I'm sure this has been brought up before so apologies if people need to repeat themselves.

What is the stance on chocolate, coffee and alcohol for the Paleo diet as the articles I have read have mixed opinions

Thanks in advance.

Rebel

A diet is not a few weeks but for a lifetime.

I say yes to all three. I eat dark chocolate (85-90%), I drink a cup of black coffee every morning, and I drink alcohol on the weekends when I feel like it. I think the dark chocolate and black coffee are probably "acceptable" in paleo, but my pumpkin ale definitely isn't. And I don't really care. I cut out alcohol when I did a whole30. But I missed it, honestly. And since I don't really have to answer to anyone but myself when it comes to what I eat, I don't worry so much about the "rules".

I think you have to see how your body responds to those foods and drinks, and decide if it's something you want to avoid or not. Different bodies respond to various foods in different ways. Hard and fast dietary rules make it difficult for individuals to find out what really works for them. When I was doing the whole30 and went very low carb, I was following the rules to a T, eating super healthy, and I felt absolutely horrible. Dizzy, no energy, headaches, in a permanent fog, etc. That kind of thing didn't work for me, but for someone else it may be the best thing. Everybody's different. That said, I won't pretend that alcohol is really GOOD for anyone. It's really a personal choice on whether you want to have it in your diet or not.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Yep, I second (or third, fourth, whatever...) the other comments. With these, do what you want/what works for you. I allow dark chocolate as a treat on occasion, and I don't consider it a cheat. I don't drink coffee because I avoid caffeine (except for the dark chocolate), but every few weeks I might have a cup of my favorite decaf hazelnut coffee (with cream, no sugar). I allow myself wine on one weekend night...usually just 1 glass, occasionally 2. I actually haven't had the wine in several weeks...I have been leaning more towards drinking water with lemon more than anything else.

Ultimately you have to decide what works for you. Some people allow all three of the items you asked about, some people say all three are totally not allowed, and others fall in the middle. The first thing I learned about paleo/primal is that there are as many ways to do this lifestyle as there are people doing this lifestyle. :)

All things in moderation
And since I don't really have to answer to anyone but myself when it comes to what I eat, I don't worry so much about the "rules".

I am very new to this site / the formal idea of paleo/primal. I've known it was true, but everyone I saw following such a lifestyle was a nazi. It is SO SO refreshing to see you all with realistic expectations. As long as you don't take advantage (aka pumpkin ale w/ a mountain of dark chocolate for breakfast) a little wiggle room is necessary for sanity. Thank you all for that affirmation!

And thank you Sambie for asking the Q!

Ultimately you have to decide what works for you. Some people allow all three of the items you asked about, some people say all three are totally not allowed, and others fall in the middle. The first thing I learned about paleo/primal is that there are as many ways to do this lifestyle as there are people doing this lifestyle. :)

Absolutely this last part! You get to decide ultimately what you eat on a regular basis, no one else. Only you really know how a particular things affects your health, weight, or the way you feel throughout the day, and you may discover after a while that certain aren't worth it, but other totally are... for me, that would be a nice red wine and espresso creme brule!

The only caveat would be if you were interested in an elimination style eating challenge, like the Whole30, where the goal is to reset your tastebuds in a sense and to figure out more conclusively if you deal well with things like dairy or wheat. Then you would want to be super strict to get the most conclusive results. But even then, when it's over, you can go back to having treats. I personally made chicken tacos the first week after my Whole30 was done!

For Paleo? I don't think, strictly speaking they are Paleo. I personally consider myself primal - and I say hell yes to all three.

I have my chocolate dark, my coffee black and my alcohol wine (more red than white but anything goes).

If you want to eat chocolate, drink coffee and drink alcohol, then I say go for it. This isn't about giving yourself restrictions to the point where you don't want to carry on, or decide to binge or something. If you want to cut something out, do a whole30, or cut things out one at a time and see how your body copes or doesn't cope. You might find out that something just isn't worth it. So I say go for it - for long term management of your health, its not realistic for most people to completely go 100% paleo for the rest of their lives.

Level 3 - Platypus Ranger
STR: 3 | DEX: 5 | STA: 3.5 | CON: 5.5 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 3

Fitocracy | Fitbit | Daily Challenge | My Fitness Pal | RunKeeper

Pretty good advice all around. I'll second the "if it works" path. If you're trying to make a particular fitness goal, alcohol's going to hinder that somewhat. If you're ok with a slower path, in moderation.

I have some dark chocolate almonds that satisfy a sweet tooth and I drink black coffee in the mornings (no more splenda and creamer).

Plus, I personally find that if you cut everything out all at once, it's like trying to eat the elephant whole. Baby steps :) AND you're more likely to stick with the diet overall I would think.

Good luck!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

STR: 14.5 DEX: 7 STA: 12.5 CON: 8 WIS: 9.5 CHA: 5

Out of 100 men in battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are real fighters,

Ah, but the one,

One of them is the WARRIOR, And he will bring the others back.

- Hericletus 500 BC

Isaiah 40:31 "..but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."