• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

AngelaTheGeek

Angela's super awesome challenge full of awesomeness.

Good stuff. I have found that the quickest breakfast for me is to boil eggs and carry them on the go. Or if I get 5 minutes, to make the quickest cheese omelette ever or bacon. That usually works. just nuke a few strips of bacon in the wave while you shower etc.
^^ this. i do hard boiled eggs every morning (weekdays) and maybe some nitrate free deli ham?

I'm thinking hard boiled eggs need to make their way back into my eating. I get tired of them after a while, so I have to take breaks.

I usually do cottage cheese + fruit + nuts which means dumping stuff in a bowl with no cooking, though this does not work if you aren't eating dairy.

I like the idea of cottage cheese and fruit, minus the nuts. I think I might just bring a big container to work on Monday so I have it here all week, meaning I have no excuses to buy breakfast.

Thanks guys!!! Sometimes I simply overlook the easiest solutions.

I use fat free cottage cheese, so the nuts is how I get my fats in. And a cup of fat free cottage cheese has 30g of protein. (Cottage cheese with fat in has less protein per cup, but if you're not getting fat calories from nuts you could always just eat more cottage cheese.)

If you want something more savory than sweet, cottage cheese/Greek yogurt on fresh veggies with olive oil and garlic is also awesome.

Week One Recap:

Lifting:

Hit a PR on my front squat at 100kg! WOOT! Changing this goal to 110kg.

Didn't hit any other new PRs, but felt like I had some good form this week.

My heavy session on Friday did not go as planned, here's what I did:

Snatch: 35x2/40x2/45/50/55/60/ALMOST 65 (took it too far over and bailed behind, but it felt GOOD!)/drop set of 45x2

Clean and Jerk: 45x2/50x2/55/60/65/couldn't even hit 70! I was sooooo upset by this... But, I had bent my wrist back on Thursday morning, so I think my brain was getting in the way and screaming "NO! NOT YOUR WRIST AGAIN!!! NOOOOOO!!" Drop sets of 2 clean and 1 jerk: 45/55

Also, I had been coughing like crazy all day Friday, and sure enough, I woke up really sick on Saturday. That could have something to do with not hitting my bigger numbers. Needless to say, I didn't get in for a squat session on Saturday, which I was totally bummed about. But, I'm not stupid enough to go in as sick as I was.

Accounting for the sickness, I'll give myself a B- here.

Eating:

Well, I only had 2 completely gluten-free days last week... I have no excuses. But since I started writing down what I'm eating, I can see that breakfast is my weak point. I give in to breakfast sandwiches and burritos far too often. This is also costing me too much money. I'll give myself a C- here.

My goal for this week is to bring my own breakfast for the rest of the week. I didn't have food for breakfast this morning (gotta go grocery shopping), but I did make the better choice and got a breakfast bowl with no bread!

Life:

Unpacked a few more boxes, and moved some boxes out of the garage and into more appropriate temporary storage. I'll give myself a B+ here.

good job on week one.

random question -- for your snatch and clean and jerk -- do you follow USAW methods or something else? (hit and catch, etc)

Thanks!

Yup. Only USAW legal lifting, because I compete. The only non-legal thing about my lifting outside of competition is using straps. :)

Thanks!

Yup. Only USAW legal lifting, because I compete. The only non-legal thing about my lifting outside of competition is using straps. :)

right, but like..jon north style hit and catch is USAW legal.

so more wondering if you do the shrug/high-pull/ versus hitting the bar against the hips(snatch)/top of thighs(clean)

right, but like..jon north style hit and catch is USAW legal.

so more wondering if you do the shrug/high-pull/ versus hitting the bar against the hips(snatch)/top of thighs(clean)

Oooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh, I hit my hips/thighs as much as possible. Actually, one of the things I'm working on is keeping the bar close to my body to do so.

Oooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh, I hit my hips/thighs as much as possible. Actually, one of the things I'm working on is keeping the bar close to my body to do so.

awesome. you should see the bruises i have. it's AMAZING. but i'm loving this technique. and now, you know, i've got a resident expert. (you)

awesome. you should see the bruises i have. it's AMAZING. but i'm loving this technique. and now, you know, i've got a resident expert. (you)

So, now that I have some lunch in me, I can appropriately clarify. I try as hard as possible to hit my hips every time, but my cleans still tend to hit my thighs sometimes. I don't have the same problem with my snatch. I almost always hit my hips, unless I don't hit at all, hence working on keeping the bar close.

Hand position makes a HUGE difference here. Especially for the snatch. Next time you are working on snatching, check your bar and hand positions. Stand up with the bar, holding it where you normally would, and check where it hits your body. If it's lower than your hips, move your hands outwards. If it's higher than your hips, move them in. I just moved my hands out about an inch last week and it helped A TON.

I'm way behind! My go-to breakfast when I am veering off course is a sweet potato/sausage hash. I take some type of bulk sausage (I tend to like breakfast sandwiches for breakfast sausage, so that's normally what I get). I cook that up with an onion. Meanwhile I nuke a sweet potato until soft in the micro. Chop that up and add it along with a few handfuls of diced fresh spinach as the sausage is just about done. STir everything up and I like to mash up the sweet potato so it's more evenly distributed (which seems to make the potato go farther). I season with salt, black pepper, smoked paprika and chipotel pepper. But you could season with whatever you like. I portion out into four or five servings.

I can warm it up and eat it at my desk, so that's the easiest breakfast for me that competes with breakfast sandwiches.

(In related news, I'm allergic to eggs. I used to like the egg monster (also with sausage), but no more.)

Anyway, breakfast is the worst meal for me, too. So I can relate. I'll eat almost anything for lunch. And if dinner's fresh cooked, I like almost everything, too.

I'm way behind! My go-to breakfast when I am veering off course is a sweet potato/sausage hash. I take some type of bulk sausage (I tend to like breakfast sandwiches for breakfast sausage, so that's normally what I get). I cook that up with an onion. Meanwhile I nuke a sweet potato until soft in the micro. Chop that up and add it along with a few handfuls of diced fresh spinach as the sausage is just about done. STir everything up and I like to mash up the sweet potato so it's more evenly distributed (which seems to make the potato go farther). I season with salt, black pepper, smoked paprika and chipotel pepper. But you could season with whatever you like. I portion out into four or five servings.

I can warm it up and eat it at my desk, so that's the easiest breakfast for me that competes with breakfast sandwiches.

Thanks for this tip. I keep buying sweet potatoes and not eating them... This will definitely solve that problem.

(In related news, I'm allergic to eggs. I used to like the egg monster (also with sausage), but no more.)
I just cried a little.

Me too!!!!! I think I'd die a little inside if I couldn't eat eggs any more.

Keep up the good work Angela!!

Thanks! I will as soon as this crud gets out of my lungs!

Sweet potatoes ... I have never made them for breakfast ... what do you do? Just fry em?

Usually breakfast for me is a lot of bacon and scrambled eggs or a 4 egg omelette or bacon and sausages. For about 25 years I never ate breakfast, ever. But after starting powerlifting, I have realized the utility of eating massive amounts of food and getting massive amounts of rest. :)

Great first week, especially the front squat goal!

It's amazing what we can learn about ourselves by food tracking. I've recently noticed that on days where I completely tank, I simply don't track (prob correlates to being busy) so cals look good good good and them blam, zero.

+1 to kelly's breakfast idea.

Great first week, especially the front squat goal!

It's amazing what we can learn about ourselves by food tracking. I've recently noticed that on days where I completely tank, I simply don't track (prob correlates to being busy) so cals look good good good and them blam, zero.

+1 to kelly's breakfast idea.

Thanks!! Your avatar makes me hungry every time I see it. Seriously, there is saliva building up in my mouth as I type.

Still have some crud in my lungs, but I could not stand being away from the platform even one more day... Did light work today to focus on form.

"Chinese-style" pulls: 35/35/40/45/45/45/50/50/50/50

Hang Snatch: 35/35/40/45/45/45/50/50/50/50

Clean: 45x2/50x2/55x2/60x2/65x2/65x2/65x2

Power Clean: 15/15/35/35/35

Jerk: 15x2/15x2/35x2/35x2/35x2

Total kg: 2105

Total lb: 4715.2

Edited by AngelaTheGeek

What, pray tell, are Chinese pulls?

This is precisely what I asked when my coach was telling me what to do... :) Turns out, they are like high pulls, but with more proper snatch form. So, instead of bringing the bar all the way up to face level, you bring it to just below the chin and drop into it. I really, honestly, have no idea how to explain it in words. I found a video of the pull though... Yay internet!

The Chinese-style pulls start at 1:35

Subscribing.

Someone can tell me the difference between all of these lifts, right? I mean, front/back squat are pretty self-explanatory. Is a clean and jerk lifting from floor to chest to raised arms? And a snatch (snicker)?

I'm just at body-weight lifting so olympic lifting is rather foreign to me.

Sweet potato for breakfast? Yes and please.

Oh. so. yummy. Those latkes - oh yes! And the hash. Sweet Baby Cheezes - I'm giddy about these non-egg breakfasts.

Edited by acrimony

This is precisely what I asked when my coach was telling me what to do... :) Turns out, they are like high pulls, but with more proper snatch form. So, instead of bringing the bar all the way up to face level, you bring it to just below the chin and drop into it. I really, honestly, have no idea how to explain it in words. I found a video of the pull though... Yay internet!

The Chinese-style pulls start at 1:35

Right on. Jdanger actually just linked a couple videos on FB of a (Chinese) dude doing this with a clean grip (at insane weights).