• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

AngelaTheGeek

Angela's super awesome challenge full of awesomeness.

Someone can tell me the difference between all of these lifts, right? I mean, front/back squat are pretty self-explanatory. Is a clean and jerk lifting from floor to chest to raised arms? And a snatch (snicker)?

Yep, Clean and Jerk is first from the floor to the shoulders, then from the shoulders to overhead. The snatch (don't worry - everyone snickers) is directly from the floor to overhead. Like this:

re: Chinese pulls. I now call them Panda pulls per some smart guy on Pendlay forums.

They are basically a pull with a rebending of the knees and active pull under. I wasn't a big fan of most pull variants until I discovered and started playing with these a while ago. For the majority of people we teach (adults new to the lifts) pulling strength isn't the problem the majority of the time, getting under the bar is. Learning to pull this way, maintaining proper balance and positioning and pulling back down into the ground as fast as possible just seems to work better than some of the other variants out there.

Subscribing.

Someone can tell me the difference between all of these lifts, right? I mean, front/back squat are pretty self-explanatory. Is a clean and jerk lifting from floor to chest to raised arms? And a snatch (snicker)?

I wasn't sure what some of they were either, so I took to youtube to find videos. OMG I want to be an Olympic lifter now! Must learn how to snatch :)

I'm just at body-weight lifting so olympic lifting is rather foreign to me.

Glad msuroo picked up my slack on showing you the snatch (teeheehee).

I wasn't sure what some of they were either' date=' so I took to youtube to find videos. OMG I want to be an Olympic lifter now! Must learn how to snatch :)[/quote']

DO IT! Oh, how I looooooove it!

I've only been strength training seriously for about a year now, and just joined the barbell team officially last month. I was working on other things and did a few competitions, but when I got the opportunity to work with the barbell team coach one-on-one, I couldn't pass it up. Now, it's all I do! When I'm done with my workout, all I can think about is my next one.

I only go in 4 days a week, and only 3 of those days are full lifting days (day four is a squat day), so my progress is a little slower than the other girls on the team who are in there 5-6 days a week. But, my schedule and my coaches schedule just won't allow that at the moment. I can only go in early mornings, and he has early classes 3 days a week. This might be cleared up with his next semester... We'll see!

I cannot tell you how much this sport has changed my self-perception! I walk proudly with my head held high every day knowing that I am a strong, confident woman. I don't use a scale any more to judge my health/fitness level... Now I use the numbers on the plates. It's simply amazing.

Do it! Do it NOW! :)

So how did you go about finding a coach? I'm moving home in 5-6 months and thinking this is a quest to be undertaken when I have some more stability in my life. I did a quick search in my hometown and came up with 2 options: Crossfit and an Ironworks gym. I'm assuming there must be coaches around that work independently of a gym. Crossfit scares the crap out of me and I'm not sure I want to spend my time with a bunch of bodybuilders and meatheads.

Still have some crud in my lungs, but I could not stand being away from the platform even one more day... Did light work today to focus on form.

"Chinese-style" pulls: 35/35/40/45/45/45/50/50/50/50

Hang Snatch: 35/35/40/45/45/45/50/50/50/50

Clean: 45x2/50x2/55x2/60x2/65x2/65x2/65x2

Power Clean: 15/15/35/35/35

Jerk: 15x2/15x2/35x2/35x2/35x2

Total kg: 2105

Total lb: 4715.2

i love that these are "light work" for you. I hope one day i can hang snatch 50kg and think it's light work :)

This is precisely what I asked when my coach was telling me what to do... :) Turns out, they are like high pulls, but with more proper snatch form. So, instead of bringing the bar all the way up to face level, you bring it to just below the chin and drop into it. I really, honestly, have no idea how to explain it in words. I found a video of the pull though... Yay internet!

The Chinese-style pulls start at 1:35

glad you posted this. i was like *insert scooby doo "aroo?" face here*

Right now. Love this place.

[ATTACH]5749[/ATTACH]

jealous.

So how did you go about finding a coach? I'm moving home in 5-6 months and thinking this is a quest to be undertaken when I have some more stability in my life. I did a quick search in my hometown and came up with 2 options: Crossfit and an Ironworks gym. I'm assuming there must be coaches around that work independently of a gym. Crossfit scares the crap out of me and I'm not sure I want to spend my time with a bunch of bodybuilders and meatheads.

The path to my coach actually goes back a few years. When I used to go to 24 hour fitness (big box gym)' date=' I did a challenge at the gym with my sister, which is where I met my trainer Miki'ala. She then left 24 hour fitness to go to Midtown Strength & Conditioning (where I am still), and we followed her. Then, she left about a year later and I floated around the regular classes at the gym, until I fell in love with the barbell. My coach, Ben, actually recruited me to the team after I did a few competitions under another trainer.

If you really want to do Olympic Lifting (and usually just that when on a team), I would say go to the federation's website, http://www.awf.com.au/, and see if they have links for local lifting clubs. I didn't have time to click around the site, but it looks well put together.

EDIT: d'oh. Just realized you said "moving home." Don't know exactly where home is, but here's the Canadian Federation page: http://www.halterophiliecanada.ca/accueil_en.html

Bodybuilders are a whole different breed. If you aren't bodybuilding, I would stay away from them. They do lots of silly little isolation exercises that I think are generally useless. If crossfit is the best thing in the area, talk to the owners of the box. Some crossfit boxes have lifting teams and dedicated lifting times with coaches because they do the lifts in the other workouts.

Just do some research. I'm sure you'll find something on that giant island! :)

Edited by AngelaTheGeek

i love that these are "light work" for you. I hope one day i can hang snatch 50kg and think it's light work :)

Some day you WILL be doing that! I promise!!! I never thought I'd be here either.

Week Two Recap:

Lifting:

Didn't hit any new PR's this week, but I was sick, so I'm just glad I got some lifting in.

The last workout I posted was on 10/4, so here's the rest of the week:

10/5

Snatch: 35x2/35x2/40x2/45x2/50/55

Clean and Jerk: 45x2/50x2/55/60/65/70

2 Cleans and 1 Jerk: 50x3

3 Cleans: 45

10/6

Back Squats: 45x5/65x5/75x5/105x3x5 Bumped up my working set from 100 to 105.

RDL: 75x5/85x5/95x5

I did get three lifting days in, and my form has really shown improvement, so I get an A this week!

Eating:

Ugh, only two days gluten-free again this week... Being sick did not help in the least. I let someone else do the cooking, so I ended up with some poor choices. And for some reason, I ate a shit-load of sugar. But, on the good side, I got my protein and BCAA and have been pretty good about taking them regularly. This is definitely an improvement.

I'm giving myself a C this week.

Life:

Made very little progress on the unpacking, mostly due to the sickness. But, did get our cat fence done and made improvements inside so the cats will STOP PEEING ON MY STUFF! I'm telling you... I was ready to throw the bastards into the creek when I found another pee spot this week. Fixed it by bringing 3 litter boxes inside the house, which I hate, but they aren't in common areas, so I'll live with it.

I get a C+ here.

Overall grade for the week: B-

This week will be a full week again, as I am feeling better. I'm hoping to get a new PR in something (I'll take one in any of my lifts)!

Angela's Log, Stardate 66237. (Yeah, I googled it... What's it to you?!)

This morning's workout was fun! My coach said "fun" and I asked, "like FUN-fun? Or, like meh... fun?" Well, it turned out to be FUN-fun! *On a side note - Do you ever type a word so many times that it starts to look misspelled? Yeah, somehow I thought I was misspelling fun. No, seriously. Like, for real.

Started off with a quick snatch sequence as warm-up.

35x2/40x2/45x2/50x2/35x2

Then, I did Clean and Jerk waves.

These are done with little rest in between each rep, about one rep per minute. It was definitely cardio work!

Wave 1 - 45/50/55/60/65

Wave 2 - 50/55/60/65/70

Wave 3 - 55/60/65/70/75 (missed the jerk on the last one, but it's cause I got all light-headed from the cardio work)

Power clean and 2 jerks: 45x2

Front Squats: 45x3/55x3/65x3/75x2/85x3x1 (deload week)

Ugh, I ate gluten at lunch yesterday! I'm so glad that Steve sent out the email about will power, because I definitely need to work on mine! Today has started good though. I forgot my breakfast (d'oh!), but opted for a breakfast sandwich with no bread! I'm definitely going to be gluten-free today!

I was ready to throw the bastards into the creek when I found another pee spot this week.

First, I laughed at this, and then I said, "I bet she has a creek in her backyard. LUCKEEEEEE!!"

Nice job on week two, even with being sick. And here's to a PR in any of your lifts (bro curlz included because they look super-intense in that pic)!

First, I laughed at this, and then I said, "I bet she has a creek in her backyard. LUCKEEEEEE!!"

Well, it's almost in my backyard. It's across the street. The reason we got the cat fencing is to keep them away from it so they don't harass the wildlife. I was seriously ready to just let them turn into feral cats. Cause, you know, that's how it works.

Nice job on week two, even with being sick. And here's to a PR in any of your lifts (bro curlz included because they look super-intense in that pic)!

Thanks!!!! You had a stellar week 2 also!

*On a side note - Do you ever type a word so many times that it starts to look misspelled? Yeah, somehow I thought I was misspelling fun. No, seriously. Like, for real.

Been there. Type a word often enough and it begins to lose all meaning.

Nice workout too!

Then, I did Clean and Jerk waves.

These are done with little rest in between each rep, about one rep per minute. It was definitely cardio work!

Wave 1 - 45/50/55/60/65

Wave 2 - 50/55/60/65/70

Wave 3 - 55/60/65/70/75 (missed the jerk on the last one, but it's cause I got all light-headed from the cardio work)

Boo. The description of this this exercise was not nearly as funny as what I had pictured. Two thumbs down. ;)

Were you thinking it was like "the wave" from sporting events and such? :)

Clean. Jerk. Wave.

No, I didn't really think that's what it would be, but haha... the visual is still hilarious.

Clean. Jerk. Wave.

No, I didn't really think that's what it would be, but haha... the visual is still hilarious.

Now I'm visualizing clean-jerk-beauty queen wave (elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist, wrist). Ha!

Week Two Recap:

Lifting:

10/5

Snatch: 35x2/35x2/40x2/45x2/50/55

Clean and Jerk: 45x2/50x2/55/60/65/70

2 Cleans and 1 Jerk: 50x3

3 Cleans: 45

10/6

Back Squats: 45x5/65x5/75x5/105x3x5 Bumped up my working set from 100 to 105.

RDL: 75x5/85x5/95x5

I did get three lifting days in, and my form has really shown improvement, so I get an A this week!

Wow, epic lifts. For serious. How do you drive your squat up? I find that it's so easy to plateau. Did you always have a strong squat?

Wow, epic lifts. For serious. How do you drive your squat up? I find that it's so easy to plateau. Did you always have a strong squat?

I have always had powerful legs, which I think came from being a breaststroker when I swam. One thing is that I try my hardest not to let myself plateau. I know it's easier said than done... But, when I feel like I should see an improvement, but it's just not happening, I will add 1 or 2kg to break the mental barrier. Then, it's not such a huge jump to the next 5kg mark.

I'm also on the large side, with 18" calves, 26" quads, and 46" hips... so, there's that.