Erick's First Challenge: "What you know does not matter - what you do matters."

Erick the Red

"What you know does not matter - what you do matters." -- Gym Jones website. (Gym Jones is run by Mark Twight, who among other neat things trained the cast and stunt crew for the movie "300").

I have a solid running routine, where I run four times a week as I prepare for upcoming races. I use a printed schedule, with specific mileage to do each day. I get all my running gear ready the night before, so that i just have to roll out of bed, get dressed, and go out the door without second thoughts.

It has been harder to do a lot of other useful things, because after I am fully awake it is easier to find "better" things to do, or just forget about them entirely. So this challenge will remedy that.

1. Use the Primal Blueprint Fitness "Lift Heavy Things" plan to organize my strength-training. This uses a progressive plan for each of five basic exercises to develop the "ground floor" strength I need.

Goal: Twice per week, two sets of each of the five basic exercises.

How: I'm making a chart for this too, to track just like my runs.

Reward: +3 Str, +1 Con, +1 Cha

Starting stats (single set max):

15 Pushups

3 Pullups

30 Full squats (air squats below parallel)

5 Dive Bombers

60 second Forearm/Feet Plank

Eventually I want to do barbell training with "Starting Strength" or "Stronglifts 5x5", but this goal is to prepare my body for gym training as well as cross-train for my runs.

2. Goal: Daily yoga and foam tube/Stick rolling, at least five minutes per day, EVERY DAY.

Reward: +2 Con, +1 Dex

3. Continue building mileage towards goal race of marathon.

Goal: Follow my written plan to run the planned mileage each day, four days per week, for all six weeks of the Challenge.

How: Keep filling out the chart. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Reward: +4 Sta

4. Goal: No distractions.

How: Use techniques described at zenhabits.com to set time limits for activities (especially while working) to focus on important jobs. Try starting with five minutes at a time without checking e-mail or looking at cute kittens on the internet.

Reward: +3 Wis

I plan to use this thread to update on my activities, as close to daily as life events allow.

Parting quote from Mark Twight: "Appearance is a consequence of fitness". I want to be so fit that I LGN.

Dimensions at beginning of Challenge (15 Sept 2012): Chest cir.: 39" Shoulder cir.: 46" Waist: 35" Hips: 39" Upper Arm: 12 and 7/8" Thigh: 20 and 1/4"

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Do you have a milage you'd like to get to by the end of the 6 weeks?

Valid question. On 3 November I should run 18 miles to be on track.

Back story: On 8 September I ran 9.4 miles. I missed my planned 10 miles on 15 Sept because I was rehabbing. So I have long runs of 10, 12, 13, 15, 16, and 18 over the next six weeks.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

I get all my running gear ready the night before, so that i just have to roll out of bed, get dressed, and go out the door without second thoughts.

Hahaha, I used to do this too when I ran marathons. It's like I would trick myself into running because I'd be too tired to know I was doing it until I was already doing it. :)

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

I like the idea of getting everything ready the night before. Way to not accept excuses! And if you have to trick yourself in order to do that, do it!

The DragonknightLevel 4 Human RangerPrestige Class: FirebreatherSTR:8 | DEX:9 | CON:8.5| STA:6.25| WIS:3.75 | CHA:7.5 Current Challenge The term “Firebreather†is representative of both body, mind and spirit. Any athlete who strives valiantly during exercise while displaying an indomitable spirit is walking the path of a true Firebreather.

Great challenge goals! Love the No Distractions...right there with you. Looking forward to checking in on your progress!

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Ran the Tennessee Warrior Dash yesterday with four other family members. Because of mixed fitness levels it was just for fun. Finished in about forty minutes. Fun times were had by all, especially the folks that got the two free beers that we didn't need.

I think they must have a special recipe for the mud - it is the stickiest stuff I have ever had the pleasure to swim through.

So, three miles, five kilometers more or less, plus obstacles. Pretty good way to set up my Challenge.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Ran the Tennessee Warrior Dash yesterday with four other family members. Because of mixed fitness levels it was just for fun. Finished in about forty minutes. Fun times were had by all, especially the folks that got the two free beers that we didn't need.

I think they must have a special recipe for the mud - it is the stickiest stuff I have ever had the pleasure to swim through.

So, three miles, five kilometers more or less, plus obstacles. Pretty good way to set up my Challenge.

I am jealous of you doing a warrior dash, but great start to the challenge

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

Ran three miles in 28 minutes. Spent over five minutes doing a thorough warmup with sun salutations and mountain climbers (whichmay not be entirely traditional yoga, but which were standard in my "power yoga" classes. So far, so good today.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

I'm pretty sure mountain climbers are a traditional yoga move, think I saw a Buddha sculpture demonstrating it once. ;)

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Five minutes of sun salutations and mountain climbers (and a note to get a better yoga plan). Two sets of the five basic movements (pushup, pullup, squat, shoulder press, plank). Managed to hold the forearm-knee plank for 90 sec both times, and forearm-knee side plank 45 sec both sides both times, so I am already graduating to hands and feet next time.

I still need to thoroughly implement my "no distractions" goal. I admit to using these NF boards yesterday as a distraction from more mundane things (like my gainful employment).

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Mountain climbers- synonymous with unlocking ancient yogic wisdom ;)

In between two sun salutations any exercise becomes yoga, hadn't you heard? ;)

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

6 miles (just under 10K for the metrically inclined) this morning in just under 60 minutes. Walked some of the hills. My "strain/shin splint/whatever you call it" in my lower leg was sore a little bit in the middle miles, but by the last two miles I had settled into a good groove and it didn't bother me.

Warm up included Warrior I and Warrior II, for those people mocking my apostate yoga.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Nice- hope your shin-thing isn't serious. I can give you lots of good yoga poses/ a basic sequence for running-- both for before and after the run. Let me know and I can get that going over the weekend.

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Loving the warrior dash!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Nice- hope your shin-thing isn't serious. I can give you lots of good yoga poses/ a basic sequence for running-- both for before and after the run. Let me know and I can get that going over the weekend.

If it is not too much trouble, I would appreciate some suggestions. I think that perhaps my warmups are not thorough enough, but at four-thirty in the AM it is hard to get creative about what sequences to do.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

How have I missed this thread? Great goals and sounds like you're off to a great start. Keep an eye on those shins, and don't lie to yourself if you think you're doing yourself a damage. Better to ease back than get sidelined with an injury!

Since I heard about your injury I have been thinking really hard about this. My wife would be the first to say that I am pig-headed about admitting to injury (see picture at left). I have felt like I needed the format of this challenge to get me to do things that I should be doing anyway, like the cross-training from yoga and body-weight lifting. But I need to be careful and not let my short term goal (training for an upcoming marathon) derail my long term goals (staying healthy to be able to continue to run longer distances). I had already backed off for a while, and my leg had started to feel a lot better (the pain is on the outside of the lower leg, about half-way up, and wraps a little towards the back) but running Sat, Mon, Wed, and now Thur has aggravated it again.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines