Mastering The Elements

Chef Neem

Late evening in the monastery while the other disciples where sleeping a lone monk sat with his tea and contemplated the world around him. The earth below him, the flow of water as another monks washes off the day before retiring. The flickering fire of a candle as it is moved by the wind. As the monk ponders these elements he decides he will master them.

Earth goal: Move mountains

For this goal I will do the hundred push ups program as well as participate in the http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17466-Century-Push

Also I have spreadsheet for my whole family to join in at home.

The main objective is not necessarily to hit the 100 but to be consistent in the training.

3 X week for all 6 weeks will be an A STR +4

Water goal: Flow through the forms

This goal is to help me get ready for my fourth degree black belt test in the spring.

It has been nearly six years (Damn time flies) since I have done my forms.

I have to relearn 8 basic,9 color belt, and 5 black belt forms. Not only that but I have to be able to do them in slow motion also.

Forms was the most draining part of my last belt test. I want to really rock these.

Relearning all forms and being able to do 3 basic, 3 color and 3 black belt forms regular speed and slow motion without falling down dead will be an A

+2 DEX +2 STA +1 CON

Fire goal: Burn calories jumping rope

This goal will also help with the stamina for my marathon I am training for as well as help the forms.

7 minutes of intervals as warm ups before runs and forms training will be 5 X Week for an A +3 STA

Wind goal: Catch the spirit

Our family is involved in a weekly bible study but I don't always do the daily readings and end up trying to jam it all in the day before or of class.

Everyday is an A +3 WIS

Hahaha! I feel you on the Bible Study front. I was originally trying to skip out of service and listen to it later online, and then do the study on top of that. Except that they stopped posting sermons online and I wasn't able to study anymore.

They totally busted me. Ha ha, I feel you there. Let's us both step up to the plate on this one, huh?

Earth goal: Move mountains

The whole family did their pushups with me

It is fun how excited they are about it

10-12-7-7-14 for a total of 50 with 1 minute rest between

Water goal: Flow through the forms

Worked on 3 of the black belt forms: Pyong Won, Nopae, and Taebek

Did each one 3 times

Fire goal: Burn calories jumping rope

actually did 11 minutes as opposed to seven. When I was figuring out how many times to repeat the intervals I miscalculated bonus but I felt it in my calves

Wind goal:

Made it to bible study with all my homework done

Bonus correction from last challenge.

I said I was doing pull ups when I was actually doing pull ups so I am working on pull up for real this time.

2-3-2-2-4 one minute rest between

second day update

Fire goal:

jumped rope for 7min45sec with intervals

I think this might have ruined my run afterwards or I was more wiped out from all I did on monday than I thought.

Wind goal:

did my homework for the study

Earth goal:

Push ups 10-12-8-8-18

Bonus pull ups 2-4-3-2-5

Fire goal:

Jump rope 7:45 intervals

Not near as winded afterwards

Wind goal:

Daily reading done

3 days in and doing well so far.

On Thursday I hope to relearn the other 3 black belt forms and do some running for my marathon training.

How did the forms go? Is it relatively easy to remember them, compared to learning them in the first place?

Also... you know you want to do burpees with us.... http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?18690-Challenge-FALL-FRENZY-MINI-CHALLENGES-FOR-ALL-GUILDS

"What's a black belt?" "It's a white belt who never gave up, Ma`am!
flourless | level 3 halfling monk

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 7 | CHA 4

Thursday

Wind goal: only hit the bible study

also a brief interval run.

Friday:

Earth goal: 10-15-9-9-18 on the push ups

bonus 3-4-2-3-4 pull ups

Wind goal: got my study on.

Saturday

Water goal: Added another form to my practice Kumgang

also on my long run (14 miles run 3 miles walk) visualized all the forms and spoke out each technique for about 30 minutes of the run.

10 burpees warm up before the run

LOVE the elements theme! You are an inspiration. I know you will be good and ready for your fourth degree Black Belt test with this kind of plan...I plan to follow your progress for motivation. Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Balanced Human Monk - level one

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford

Nothing tastes as good as Fit feels. - Slightly modified quote since I don't like the word skinny.

STR 2 DEX 2.5 STA 2 CON 2.5 WIS 2.5 CHA 3.5

How did the forms go? Is it relatively easy to remember them, compared to learning them in the first place?

Also... you know you want to do burpees with us.... http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?18690-Challenge-FALL-FRENZY-MINI-CHALLENGES-FOR-ALL-GUILDS

The mind remembers before the body but they are coming back. I have all the basic ones down again and 4 of the black.

I worked the basics first to get back into shape and focused on the black belt ones next because they could probably benefit the most from focus. The color belt forms should all come back pretty quick though because I spent a lot of time teaching the color belt forms. The main goal is to be in shape to do them with power and precision.

Thanks for pushing everyone on the burpees. I did what I could but between my pushup pullup challenges and running I did not have much left in me physically and between work and kids school and birthday parties not much time to do them either. Plus they are kind of hard. :)

My final contribution to the burpees

8-8-5-3-3 = 27 now off to celebrate my two daughters birthday with a swing dancing karoke party. I might get some cardio out of it.

week summary

Earth goal:

3/3 solid

Fire goal:

3/5 not so good

Water goal:

worked on 4 of the 6 black belt forms steady

next week the other 2 and fine tune

then the following 2 weeks for color belt forms and the last two weeks for basic forms and building endurance

Wind goal:

6/7 pretty good

studying genesis and reveling in the glory of creation

Earth goal:

14-14-10-10-19 push ups

2-3-2-2-3 pull ups

had a birthday party for my son at the park went across the monkey bars twice pushed kids in swings and did 4 burpees under the pull up bar and did a 5 second hang each time

Water goal:

Relearned the last two black belt forms koryo 1 and koryo 2 (most schools don't do koryo 1 anymore) and went over all 6 of them 3 times each.

Fire goal:

Jump rope about 10 minutes with intervals 15 sec jump 15 sec rest repeat 8 times 30 sec/30 sec repeat 6 times 45 seconds to end it

What I like about jumping rope is I can feel my fat jiggling and it motivates me to burn it off.

Wind goal:

Had a birthday party so missed the class and did not do my home work for it.

Made an error in planning for my marathon and it is one week earlier than I thought and I am already 2 weeks off schedule in my distance. I am going to have to sep up my mileage much faster than I thought.

nothing on the goals front but I did run 6.5 miles today and a big WOOT for the 3rd year in a row the restaurant where I am the chef has been awarded the Best in Fort Worth by the weekly newspaper. And coincidentally I have been there for 3 years.

http://saint-emilionrestaurant.com/

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines