Where's the f'n discipline? Here!

Brometheus

This is my "where's the fucking discipline!" challenge. Welcome.

I'm moving from the rangers over to here. Because really, I just want to get really really really really really strong. And I LOATHE anything involving distance. Which makes doing crossfit hilarious. :)

I spend a lot of time thinking about how to get better, but am not applying myself in the way that I should. This challenge is here to push me past the edge and break that habit.

Goal #1: Maximize sleep time.

It’s pretty simple. I think I should prioritize sleep, but I don’t always do it. This is my way of fixing it.

• In bed no later than midnight, no exceptions. Get to bed earlier (10 pm?) if I’m doing crossfit. Note: I realize that once in a while, there will be "emergencies" requiring me to stay up later. Interview prep is one of those. :)
  • If I’m tired, figure out how to take a catnap, or a quick 20-30 minute nap.
  • Prioritize sleep and melatonin over coffee and sugar. That means no, I don't get to have coffee because I thought that staying up till 3 am would be "cool".

Goal #2: Lift Heavy

I’m competing in a powerlifting meet October 14th. Which also has a crossfit wod at the end. Yes, you may laugh now. :D

My opening lifts are going to be as follows (at least, unless my coach changes them):

315# squat, 315# sumo deadlift, 155# bench

My “I want to actually do this shit†goals:

350# squat, 350# sumo deadlift, 175# bench. All of these would be pr's!

All of this, however, is kind of up in the air. My training has been erratic in the last 6 weeks because of injuries. So, my coach and I are putting together a plan and I should have a better idea of what my lifts will look like in the next 2 weeks or so.

Goal #3: Mental Clarity

My mental health is kind of shot at this point. Part of this is I’m not taking the time to read, to slow down, or to clean and live in an organized house. Here's my proposed solution:

• Clean 20 minutes a day (5 days a week).
  • Read 20-30 minutes a day (5 days a week).
  • Spend 5 minutes a day meditating.

Goal #4: Homework

I want a job at corporate, but I’m not exactly qualified on the computer front in regards to microsoft office. I can sit in front of a computer and do almost anything involved in fixing or troubleshooting it (yes, I'm a techie), but suck at excel. I bought one book, and plan on buying several more. My goal: to do 1 session per week [and allowing for one week off] to finish in week 6. Each session should take 60-90 minutes. The author recommended this...so I'm going to try it.

Goal #5 [non-graded]: Eat things that make my body and stomach healthy.

I’m not worried about labels or food. I just want to cook healthy food that I know makes me happy. That means bacon, eggs, meat, tubers, veggies, and butter. Yeah, there’ll be some rice and food truck usage, but that’s about it. :)

Re Cleaning: There's nothing like having all your chores done and out of the way and waking up/living in a perfectly clean room. Good luck with your challenge! I'm keen to see how it goes.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/excel

Great goals! I can definitely relate to the mental clarity goal. Good luck on the challenge!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 2 MartianWarrior

STR 9/DEX 2/ STAM 3.75/ CON 3/ WIS 6/ CHA 3

"Fads come and go, but the barbell remains the same. Respect it accordingly." - Jim Wendler

"When I want to be a super hero, I just wake up" - Childish Gambino

Awesome goals! Cant wait to see how your meet goes and what your coach says about this one. Also love the cleaning goal. I thought about putting something like that.. then I thought about being realistic ;) haha.

Congrats on the move and hope to see you excel! (not the computer excel, the performance-wise :P)

Anything is possible for him who believes. (Mark 9:23)
"The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid." -Marcus Aurelius
Current challenge
My Training
STR-10 DEX-6 STA-9 CON-4 WIS-16.5 CHA-5

Good luck with your challenge goals, I think the sleep one is really important, although lots of people don't make it a focus, in my opinion rest is really important when exercising/lifting a lot.

Can't wait to see your progress:)

'Don't quit, two words, that's it' :-)

Great looking goals man, I can tell you've put a lot of thought into them. Good luck!

(It should be noted that we will probably be expected to fight at some point with you being a bear and me being known for bear fighting, just throwing that out there, and to tell you the truth our squat and DL numbers are about the same, we might could do a PvP related to those, if you are interested)

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Re Cleaning: There's nothing like having all your chores done and out of the way and waking up/living in a perfectly clean room. Good luck with your challenge! I'm keen to see how it goes.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/excel

Thanks! So am I! :)

Great goals! I can definitely relate to the mental clarity goal. Good luck on the challenge!

Yeah, I realized that having a messy house was getting in the way of thinking straight. Gotta fix that! :)

Awesome goals! Cant wait to see how your meet goes and what your coach says about this one. Also love the cleaning goal. I thought about putting something like that.. then I thought about being realistic ;) haha.

Congrats on the move and hope to see you excel! (not the computer excel, the performance-wise :P)

Yeah, I talked to my coach and we're putting together a training plan and an idea of what to do for the meet. I *think* that I'm going to do my minimum stuff for the meet, but it might change depending on what my coach'll think. I just keep on telling myself it doesn't really matter. It's not my 10 or 20th meet. It's my first. I just need to put numbers on the board.

Good luck with your challenge goals, I think the sleep one is really important, although lots of people don't make it a focus, in my opinion rest is really important when exercising/lifting a lot.

Can't wait to see your progress:)

Thanks! And yes, sleep is super important. I don't think many people get that.

Great goals. Sleep is one thing that I don't prioritize enough too. Good luck!

Thanks!

Subscribing to thread

Appreciated. I'll do my best to entertain! :D

Great looking goals man, I can tell you've put a lot of thought into them. Good luck!

(It should be noted that we will probably be expected to fight at some point with you being a bear and me being known for bear fighting, just throwing that out there, and to tell you the truth our squat and DL numbers are about the same, we might could do a PvP related to those, if you are interested)

Thanks! And...well...are you talking my minimum lift standards, or the crazy ones? We could probably work something out...I know AKLulu was trying to get us into a pvp challenge a couple months ago. :)

I got it! Why don't we do a "Nerdfitness Iron Wars PVP Battle" for that weekend in october. I can go do my meet, and you can go lift in the gym. Video or meet official judging required [i'm not sure if I'll get video or not, depends on how crazy it is].

I’m competing in a powerlifting meet October 14th. Which also has a crossfit wod at the end. Yes, you may laugh now. :D

Nothing says crossfit like maxing out the big 3 then doing some cardio.

Warrior LVL 3

STR: 16.75 DEX: 4 STA: 4 CON: 2 WIS: 8 CHA: 3

Current Challenge: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17857-Trad-s-Don-t-drop-that-dun-dun-dun

Current Maxes (lbs):

Spoiler

Squat: 380

Front Squat: 300

Bench: 265

Overhead Press: 155

Deadlift: 455

Clean & Jerk: 225

Snatch: 155

Wewt! Make it happen, dude.

YES I SHALL! /me conquers the challenge

Nothing says crossfit like maxing out the big 3 then doing some cardio.

Yeah, even when we do crossfit totals that doesn't happen...it should be interesting. :)

awesome, dude.

Thanks!

Awesome goals!

I've done cleaning related goals twice and found that for me, having a list of 'clean x area' worked better than the 'spend x minutes cleaning [time interval]' did, though really, I should do both.

Yeah, I'm lazy. Setting a timer will at least focus me. If I go "I must clean x today" I'll figure out how to push it back to not doing it at all.

Love this! Also, love that the first line in you totes dropped the f-bomb :)

You can do this!

/me glomps :)

Thanks! Well, I used to be a fucking potty mouth. Then...well, I didn't. So now I swear when I see the point. You should have seen some of my previous challenges. :D

Yes! We both can! Conquer the challenge!

/me glomps :)

So...did a couple minor changes...here's the update. Changes are bolded and underlined.

Goal #2: Lift Heavy

My opening lifts are going to be as follows (at least, unless my coach changes them):

315# squat, 315# sumo deadlift, 155# bench

My “I want to actually do this shit” goals:

350# squat, 350# sumo deadlift, 175# bench. All of these would be pr's!

All of this, however, is kind of up in the air. My training has been erratic in the last 6 weeks because of injuries. So, my coach and I are putting together a plan and I should have a better idea of what my lifts will look like in the next 2 weeks or so.

Goal #3: Mental Clarity

My mental health is kind of shot at this point. Part of this is I’m not taking the time to read, to slow down, or to clean and live in an organized house. Here's my proposed solution:

• Clean 20 minutes a day (5 days a week).
  • Read 20-30 minutes a day (5 days a week).
  • Spend 5 minutes a day meditating.

Goal #4: Homework

I want a job at corporate, but I’m not exactly qualified on the computer front in regards to microsoft office. I can sit in front of a computer and do almost anything involved in fixing or troubleshooting it (yes, I'm a techie), but suck at excel. I bought one book, and plan on buying several more. My goal: to do 1 session per week [and allowing for one week off] to finish in week 6. Each session should take 60-90 minutes. The author recommended this...so I'm going to try it.

Day 1: Hello Monday. Go fuck yourself! We had burpees as part of the wod, which is why I say that. I did about 3 and my hand started hurting. What a way to start a monday. *rolls eyes*

Crossfit:

3 rep max box squat

Worked up to 295! That was pretty rough, but good form...so. I don't know how much this translates to my regular squat, but it's pretty close. We'll see how the powerlifting meet goes. :)

Then...the wod.

5 reps 80% deadlift + 10 burpees per 2 minutes [rest for whatever time you have left] for 5 rounds [10 minute time cap]

Which became 5 reps at 71% [225] off of blocks [back was not super happy] + 10 elevated pushups per round [hand is still bugging me with lots of weight put on it]

Goals:

Sleep: Good. Got about 6 1/2 hours, with the aid of melatonin. Feel great! Also had some bi-phasic sleep patterns, which is...interesting. I'll see how it goes for the next couple weeks. I'm not really worried about how much sleep as I get as much as I am the quality of it. Though no, I don't want to make 6 or 6 1/2 hours a normal thing. I like 7-10 much better! :D

Meditation: Done. Finally got relaxed about 10 seconds before the timer went off. It'll go better tomorrow. :)

Cleaning: Done.

Reading: Done.

Yay mental clarity! I have the same issue with clutter and my clarity. Great job for noticing it and for wanting to change!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Good luck with the challenge!

Excel is awesome if you can really get into the right mindset for it. Serendipitously, in the "Intro to computers" class I teach, we're going over Excel for the next 3 weeks! We don't go very deep into the program (using VB to program your own functions, etc), but it's a decent overview.

A few things that people get hung up on in my experience are: let the formulas do the work so you don't have to, understand absolute vs relative references, and change the name when you copy your friend's file. (Yay required GENEDs!)

My favorite parts of Excel are: conditional formatting (lots of fun with color scales and other types of color coding), simple table formatting (aka really easy to do, not a boring layout), and extremely easy charts/graphs that update on the fly.

/who DangerDavePlayers in NerdFitness:---------------------[3 Warrior] DangerDave (ThreeQuarterLing) ZONE: 5-3-1 BarbellsThere is 1 player in NerdFitness.current challengefitocracySTR 10 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 6 | WIS 4 | CHA 5These quest things are a bitch. Lionel Fenn

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines