• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bigm141414

Bigm's "He is not human, he is a piece of iron" Challenge

hey buddy, how's the challenge going? ;)

Sleepy. I have updates, but have not recorded them on NF yet. Midterm and project this week so school has been eating up most of my time. Plus and old friend moved back into town so I have been hangin out with her. Oh and I've been overhead squattin like nobodies business. Have you? :D

Sleepy. I have updates, but have not recorded them on NF yet. Midterm and project this week so school has been eating up most of my time. Plus and old friend moved back into town so I have been hangin out with her. Oh and I've been overhead squattin like nobodies business. Have you? :D

hmm. no.

but it's because i've been missing your goading on my thread ;)

If your ruck's gonna be on your back you could name him Monkey. Or a girl's name. Maybe your least favorite girlfriend? (Get off mah back!) Or just Buck. Because that sounds manly. And reminds me of Uncle Buck, which reminds me of the Great Outdoors.

Also, all you peeps OHSing. I'm jealous. And sadly uncoordinated. So I daydream about it but never try it. I know this will get me nowhere.

I'll be back to celebrate you getting 405 DL.

So let's update shall we?

Friday:

Nothing. No studying 3/5

Was out late.

Saturday:

Recovering from Friday night. No studying

3/6

Sunday:

Nothing

Studying: 4/7

Monday:

5/3/1 Bench and Squat.

Bench - 12@45, 10@95, 5@140, 3@160, 4@175

Squat - 12@45, 8@135, 5@225, 3@250, 3@280

OHS - 5x5@45

CF Oly Class

6x 3pos snatch @65lbs - form work

OHP - 5x3@ 95,95,,105,105,105

Snatch Grip DL - 5x3@ 225,225,225, 245, 245(last set was from a deficit)

OHS - 6x2@ 65,75,85,95,95,95

BB Row - 3x10@95

Good Mornings - 3x10@95

studying: 5/8 - project finished

Tuesday

Softball

Studying - 6/9 (midterm this week)

I'm here for the snatch jokes...

I am already in one with CroeyD and WizardTrip to see who can be the first to 500 (note it's not gonna be me)

Nor me my friend, nor me. Catching up on people's challenges next and his is the next one I'm reading after Seth's. Not looking forward to seeing his progress. I'm stuck too. And how the hell do you do 370x5 (you're only 15 lb short of my 5 rep sets) but can't pull 405?

Nor me my friend, nor me. Catching up on people's challenges next and his is the next one I'm reading after Seth's. Not looking forward to seeing his progress. I'm stuck too. And how the hell do you do 370x5 (you're only 15 lb short of my 5 rep sets) but can't pull 405?

This. Again.

And you two are going to let WizTrip win without a fight?

I don't know! My head gets in the way sometimes. It is a total mental block and I can't break through it. Le sigh. This week I have a 1+@390 DL day. So that'll be fun.

This. Again.

And you two are going to let WizTrip win without a fight?

He's 15 lb away, I'm 45 and eating at a 500-1000 calorie daily deficit after workouts. My deadlift aint going anywhere this challenge. It's even lost a little...:frown-new:

Wed:

Nothing - Ducked out of work early to go to the State Fair. Yup.

Studying - 6/10

Thursday:

Cf Strength Day

Deadlifts:

5@135

5@225

8x3@345

1@345 (double overhand, just to see if I can do it...and yeah I can :D )

OHP:

5x5@95

1@115 (trying to figure out how much I can lift. 125 didn't go up but 115 did)

Oh DLs how I heart you. These were easy. It was 90 sec rest between sets. The coach was giving me a hard time for taking ALL the plates :D These went really easily. The coach also asked about my mixed grip (since most people at my CF gym don't DL at my level they don't use mixed) I said I usually switch around 315. Sooo she was like yeah it'd be impressive if you did that overhand. Challenge Accepted. So I did one and surprising ly the bar did not wiggle, did not roll, did not move in my hands. Yay grip strength.

OHP was fine as well. At the end of the 5x5 I was messing around trying to find a 1RM. I think it might be around 125, maybe more. I got 125 about halfway up before I gave up.

Still good times rebels, good times.

Nice lifting! Good times indeed.

Re: deadlifts and mixed grip -- I usually figure that anything I can lift more than once I should try double overhand for at least one rep. That way the grip, she improves.

Now go put those lifting totals in the mini-challenge spreadsheet!

Nice work my friend!

Okay, let's talk head games. We need a plan of attack. Do you currently have one or are you letting your brain win? Competitive BigM can't allow that... the brain, it's a formidable enemy, but not one that can't be beat. So, what have you tried?

I think you need to go in there, warm up, load the bar up with 410 and pull it (aiming for a 1rm). Online calculators say you've got more than that in you...and given it's YOU we're talking about I know it to be true. So, skip the mental weight (I believe KW used this trick once) and move on. You've got this, homie.

Nice work my friend!

Okay, let's talk head games. We need a plan of attack. Do you currently have one or are you letting your brain win? Competitive BigM can't allow that... the brain, it's a formidable enemy, but not one that can't be beat. So, what have you tried?

I think you need to go in there, warm up, load the bar up with 410 and pull it (aiming for a 1rm). Online calculators say you've got more than that in you...and given it's YOU we're talking about I know it to be true. So, skip the mental weight (I believe KW used this trick once) and move on. You've got this, homie.

Don't worry Laura, I know what he needs...

(From 0:42 on is actually my alarm clock every morning)

I thought about putting the Rocky IV training montage up instead, but I was afraid you'd break the bar.

Seriously though, you can do this!

I thought about putting the Rocky IV training montage up instead, but I was afraid you'd break the bar.

+1.

Get it, BigM!

I like this plan!

Bigm, I read a thread on SS and a section of it made me think of your current situation.

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=34317

Freedom from Outcome:

I want to talk about 2) intent and 3) freedom from outcome as basically a "set" of important mindsets to adopt. This is fucking key. I think this mentality will be new for most of you.

Everybody beats themselves up sometimes. In fact, I used to do it all the time. Anytime I didn't set a PR, I went fucking nuts. Seriously, batshit crazy. Ask anyone who read my rollercoaster of a strength log (http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=30964). Some people would argue that this forces you to hold yourself to a higher standard. I think there is some truth to that. That said, the mindset comes with a lot of negatives as well. You create an internal "resistance" (any Eastern philosophies homies in here?) to lifting. You don't want to show up to the gym because the gym is a place that you go to fail. Or... The gym is a place to go where you can get psychologically tortured by the prospect of that last set of squats across. I know there are some macho pimp-daddies up in hurr who have never dealt with self-doubt or the torture of doing yet another grueling set of squats where YOU MUST PR. For you guys, class dismissed. Jk, you're a lying ****. EVERYONE goes through this. You are not a pussy for not wanting to unrack a squat set that you know is going to go crush you.

Want to know how I personally deal with this dilemma? Sure you do. Otherwise, you'd have stopped reading this a long time ago. FREEDOM FROM OUTCOME. That's right. I don't go into any set caring whether or not I actually get the prescribed reps. It is totally irrelevant. All that matters is whether or not I unrack the bar. I hear a lot of bullshit detectors going off siren-style. I hear it now, "Well, if you approach it like that you'll never get anywhere. Goals are what motivates us. You HAVE to hold yourself to a higher standard or you'll never make any progress!" NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNHHHHHHHHHHH (trying to do that buzzer noise that they make for a wrong answer on a game show, u mad?) This is where INTENT comes into play. Well, almost.

Listen, everybody knows, or should know, that the real key to setting a PR is being in the fucking zone (check out Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi). The only thing that matters is getting yourself in that mind state as often as possible. When you're in the zone, you're not sitting there analyzing every little fucking detail about how good you're doing, going to do etc. Nope. You're actually not in your fucking head at all (check out the Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle). This is a key realization. Get out of your own fucking head if you want to work as hard as you’re capable of working. If it doesn't particularly matter how you do on any given particular set, it frees you from the mental constraints of making each set "perfect".

Ironically, this reduced mental pressure actually elevates your performance because it greatly diminishes pressure-induced inhibitions. I distinctly remember when I would only allow myself to go into beastmode when I felt that I was "100% recovered" and when I "fucking smoked those warmups, brah!". This is all bullshit. State is not dependent on external conditions. It is internally generated. This is why some people can be happy just because they are alive and some people commit suicide despite being millionaire celebrities who fuck a different playboy bunny every day of the week. Just give yourself permission to go into beastmode. Give yourself permission to go into state. Lower your standards for when you're allowed to cut lose and work hard.

How? Drop the "need" for outcome. It doesn't matter if that particular set doesn't go well. It really fucking doesn't. Listen, just think about this. If you're truly working your ass of, going into beastmode on the majority of your sets, how are you NOT gonna be fucking awesome in 10 years? Seriously? Is that even possible? Is it even possible to not be fucking awesome after 10 years of beastmode?

Intent:

Well, maybe. If you don't have INTENT, you're just training randomly. Smart people need to be able to hold seemingly paradoxical concepts in their head. You have to reconcile these things. You see, you still need to intend to become a beast. Otherwise, you're just going to go into state, do one rep with your 20 rep maximum, all while you roar at the other Gold's Gym patrons.

Uh, that's not the fucking point you dumbass. The point is that most things in this world are just completely out of your control. You can't choose your genetics. Does that bother you? Sorrrrryyyy, buddy. It is reality. What you can control is your mindset and how hard you work.

If you're going into beastmode for most of your sets, if you're doing all the right things, and you still don't set a PR, you don't always have to take ownership of that. Do what is in your control to do without obsessing over the outcome. If you do this, you won't judge yourself needlessly. You will give yourself permission to just work as hard as possible because you're ability to go into beastmode is not dependent on whether or not you are setting PRs. You're ability to go into beastmode, in other words, is not.... OUTCOME DEPENDENT.

Freedom from outcome coupled with intent is a powerful concept. I guarantee if you employ it in your training, it will make a huge difference.

Re: deadlifts and mixed grip -- I usually figure that anything I can lift more than once I should try double overhand for at least one rep. That way the grip, she improves.

Now go put those lifting totals in the mini-challenge spreadsheet!

Done and done :) I've always thought my grip as a weak point so once I hit 415 I always switched without question. Now I may have to question that assumption.

Nice work my friend!

Hahah, I wish I could lift by those online calcs. My Wendler spreadsheet says my current 1RM for DL should be 455.

RAWR! Oh Duke you know just what to say....

BigM,

I know you can do it.

Put your brain away and DO EEET!!!!

But I lurve mah brain! Sigh I guess I'll go put it in the closet with the other lost toys :)

Bigm, I read a thread on SS and a section of it made me think of your current situation.

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=34317

Dang chairhokey. That sums it up in a nutshell. I've been too focused on the goal and not on the feeling, the groove, the state of lifting. Thinking back on it, I did the same thing at the Boston meetup. I tried so hard to hit big numbers that the mind kinda fried itself out.

Friday: Active Rest day

Friday is night class day so no time to go to the gym (IU wake up early and go to work so as to make up the hours I am gone).

So active rest means ruck walk with my As Yet Unnamed ruck.

Ruck Walk

19lbs

2.12 miles

41:21

Not bad. Actually it is surprisingly easy since I have been using the ruck as a work bag. And my work bag is heavier than the 4 bricks (I'll have to up it to 6 next week). I should post a picture of everything I carry around on a daily basis.

Ok so I took a photo of my daily ruck setup.

Working Top to Bottom, Left To Right we have:

1)1 liter water bottle

2) 24oz thermos (for mah coffee!)

3) Kindle 3G

4) iFixit toolkit. This is great because I tear down a lot of customers products and finding tools in my lab is a hassle. Easier to bring my own

5) Dell E6530 work computer with extended batteries. (Hooray 7 hours of battery life!)

6) Grad School text book

7) Grad school note book

8) Work/lab notebook

9) Two sizes of sticky notes. (I usually have three but the other pad is in my office)

10) 6 inch ruler (straight lines are important)

11) Various pens and pencils.

12) Power cord and mouse for my laptop

13) EVM board for one of my products

14) TI-30 and TI-89 calculators. (OHAI! I'mma nerd!)

15) And finally all of that fits into my GR-1

So yeah, I carry this around quite a bit since I go back and forth between the lab and my two offices. I am currently moving office locations so I live out of this bag.

2012-10-06_10-59-53_986.jpg

I feel all back to schoolish right now. I feel like I just read a 6th grade school supplies list. I mean, if you're a super-smart sixth grader whose mom lets him drink coffee. (I always had two calculators, too. But mostly because I was paranoid one would break just when I needed it. That's my luck.)

I feel all back to schoolish right now. I feel like I just read a 6th grade school supplies list. I mean, if you're a super-smart sixth grader whose mom lets him drink coffee. (I always had two calculators, too. But mostly because I was paranoid one would break just when I needed it. That's my luck.)

Heh, yeah I tend to collect thing and just put them in my bag. I used to have a slide rule before I switched bags. I liked to take it out during really boring meetings and mess around with it.

Saturday:

5/3/1 OHP and DL

OHP:

12@45

8@65

5@85

3@100

7@110

I think all the snatch and clean and jerk work I have been doing is helping my shoulder presses. Because seriously 7 times!

DL

12@45

5@135

5@225

5@315

3@350

3@390

Gotta say I am pretty happy with this. considering the heavy 8x3 day earlier this week.

(I always had two calculators, too. But mostly because I was paranoid one would break just when I needed it. That's my luck.)

There's was a dude next to me when I took the CFA exam with 3 calculators. You know, in case you calculator and the backup went down. I tried not to laugh audibly, but I don't think I was successful. I mean, if you have two calculators go down on test day, the finance gods are just out to get ya - you aren't passing that test no matter how calculators you bring.

I think all the snatch and clean and jerk work I have been doing is helping my shoulder presses. Because seriously 7 times!

I like the sound of this. :)