• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bigm141414

Bigm's "He is not human, he is a piece of iron" Challenge

So quick preview of updates. I'll make a longer post tonight when I get home and have my notebook in front of me:

Fitness:

20PR on Front squats

Cleans are getting better

Snatches better still

Life:

Studying has been on and off. Not hitting my goal of an hour a day

Random:

It appears this is the month of "Let's get BigM hooked up with someone" Apparently the distraction of my brothers nuptials has worn off and so attention has turned to me. Fun times :P

I have some thoughts on the whole "mental states" of lifting that I need to get down.

Random:

It appears this is the month of "Let's get BigM hooked up with someone" Apparently the distraction of my brothers nuptials has worn off and so attention has turned to me. Fun times :P

You're lucky you don't live near us, if anyone our age is single my wife talks constantly about hooking them up.

We're close to that with one person.

In MY defense, I don't think saying I don't want to date 1. drug addicts/dealers 2. a guy who's engaged and living with said fiance and isn't ready to break up with her, "but you'd be better with her", 3. "he's really special, but maybe you could fix that" 4. "he doesn't really seem ready to commit, but I know with the right girl he would" and 5. Just-divorced-and-ragey drinking way too much <-- All of these have happened. No exaggeration. I'm in the midwest, though, so since I've never been married or had children, I'm some weird deformed mutant, and I think people are throwing the leftovers at me in desperation.

I don't PERSONALLY think I'm too picky. But, hey, if that's picky, then it's OK to give up. :)

But this isn't about me. This is about marrying off bigm so her family can have his land (or whatever they used to do in the olden days)!

In MY defense, I don't think saying I don't want to date 1. drug addicts/dealers 2. a guy who's engaged and living with said fiance and isn't ready to break up with her, "but you'd be better with her", 3. "he's really special, but maybe you could fix that" 4. "he doesn't really seem ready to commit, but I know with the right girl he would" and 5. Just-divorced-and-ragey drinking way too much <-- All of these have happened. No exaggeration. I'm in the midwest, though, so since I've never been married or had children, I'm some weird deformed mutant, and I think people are throwing the leftovers at me in desperation.

I don't PERSONALLY think I'm too picky. But, hey, if that's picky, then it's OK to give up. :)

But this isn't about me. This is about marrying off bigm so her family can have his land (or whatever they used to do in the olden days)!

No, that's def not picky. And the dowry is usually a good part of his cattle and sheep and maybe a little land from what I understand.

Random:

I have some thoughts on the whole "mental states" of lifting that I need to get down.

Sounds like how my family is with me. The first question from my Aunts or my grandparents is have I met a nice girl yet. And if not what am I doing to change that. So frustrating when you have a million other things on your plate.

I don't know if I should be sorry that my friends have never tried to fix me up with anyone or not; it sounds like a fascinating experience.
ditto.

It's an interesting experience. They never really work out well with me since it becomes an awkwardly forced social situation which doesn't fit my personality. I hate trying to be funny and witty and likable. That's what alcohol is for...

Edit: I should note that I understand where my friends/family are coming from, but really I do ok on my own. I just hate the pity that usually accompanies these type of events.

Edited by bigm141414

No, that's def not picky. And the dowry is usually a good part of his cattle and sheep and maybe a little land from what I understand.

The dowry is what _she_ brings to the marriage....

i can attest that you are funny, witty and likable. a lot of times.

D'awww thanks :)

More so when he's drunk though.

^Truth.

I will let my good friend Mr. Vince Vaughn explain my problems with being set up, because, after all, he has better writters than I :)

So updates:

Sunday: Nothing. Rest and recovery day

Monday:

5x2 hang clean +1 squat clean @ 95, 115,135,135,155

6x2 Jerk @ 135,135,155,155,155,155

6x2 Front squat @ 155,185,185,205,205,205 (PR)

Had to cut the session short because I had to go check on a friend's rental property. Apparently the pilot light went out on the heater and it has been cold here.

Tuesday:

Softball

Wed:

Snatch - 2x3@65, 3x3@75, form was looking better. shoulders are getting used to it and my speed getting under the bar is mproving

Halting 3 pos clean - 4x3@125, 1x3@145 (start on the ground then halt at knees, high hang, then hang clean) form is still weak on these, but slowly getting better

Squat - 5@145, 5x2@245

Snatach Pull - 5x3@135

Snatch - 2x3@65, 3x3@75, form was looking better. shoulders are getting used to it and my speed getting under the bar is mproving

Yay! It's so true what "they" (I think it was Greg Everett?) say about snatches: oly lifts are just gymnastics with a barbell.

Yay! It's so true what "they" (I think it was Greg Everett?) say about snatches: oly lifts are just gymnastics with a barbell.

That's very true :)

Saturday:

Today was 1RM day for snatch and clean&jerk. I am rather impressed with my numbers

Snatch:

3x65 (warmup), 75,85,95,105 (PR), 115 (fail)

Clean and Jerk:

135, 155,165,175,185,195 (PR), 205 (which is BW!!!!) (failed the jerk, got the clean)

So snatch was about a 10lbs PR (last time I tried I could power snatch 95, this time I full snatched 105).

Clean and jerk, well I destroyed my goal of hitting 185. Last time I tested it was 165. Now 195 isn't a problem. I could have gotten 205 I think but I was dog tired towards the end. I got the jerk about half way up but I couldn't drop under it fast enough. :D

I've got some snatch videos I'll upload in a bit so you can see what a lanky lifter looks like. It's hilarious.

My form still need work on the cleans but it is starting to click. My snatch form improves daily and I've started to understand how to drop faster and not muscle up the bar as much. It's a good thing

Video! I realize my arms still go way back. It's something I am working on and in other videos isn't quite as bad. Also, I hop forward. I did not know i did that.

Edited by bigm141414

Video! I realize my arms still go way back. It's something I am working on and in other videos isn't quite as bad. Also, I hop forward. I did not know i did that.

Looks like you are pulling it around your knees - try getting your knees back off the floor and pull the bar into you. That might just fix your hopping forward problem too. :)

(Disclaimer - I still don't have it figured out myself, but those are some of the cues that are helping me.)

Looks like you are pulling it around your knees - try getting your knees back off the floor and pull the bar into you. That might just fix your hopping forward problem too. :)

(Disclaimer - I still don't have it figured out myself, but those are some of the cues that are helping me.)

Hmm, I might be. hard to tell. I'll try and get a video from the front (or at least from where you can see my knees etc.) As the weight got heavier I didn't hop as much becasue my feet didn't leave the ground as they did in this video.

wow. awesome job on the cleans!

and nice snatch. *snicker*

Thanks friend! And get your mind outta the gutter. Silly crossfitters. Can't have a snatch conversation with them at all :D

I reember when we were lifting in Boston and seth did 205 and I was all like "Daaaaaaaang, I wish I could do that. I wants to be like seth....." Now I am one step closer to being as cool as that guy :D

Congrats on those PRs! I am rather impressed with your numbers too. :)

Thanks wq! I had forgotten what it is like to hit new PRs. Hooray for noob gains in new lifts!

Great job with the cleans! And I like the snatch video, especially the animation showing the path of the bar.

Thanks Tin Man! Yeah I have been playing around with a program called Kinovea (it's free too!). It really helps a lot to be able to show the bar path when I review these lifts.