Bigm's "He is not human, he is a piece of iron" Challenge

bigm141414

Thanks Tin Man! Yeah I have been playing around with a program called Kinovea (it's free too!). It really helps a lot to be able to show the bar path when I review these lifts.

you can also get coaches eye, (for iphone) that does this, and can slow down things frame by frame, etc.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

you can also get coaches eye, (for iphone) that does this, and can slow down things frame by frame, etc.

Hmm, checked out the coaches eye app. Not bad for a on the spot mobile app but it doesn't seem to do tracking which would be awesome to have on a phone.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Thanks wq! I had forgotten what it is like to hit new PRs. Hooray for noob gains in new lifts!

Yay!

I've been playing around with the snatch and I think a lot of the noob gains are that my technique needs more work before it can catch up to my strength, so the more I practice the more the technique improves and I can add weight without hitting the 'can't lift this' wall.

Hmm, checked out the coaches eye app. Not bad for a on the spot mobile app but it doesn't seem to do tracking which would be awesome to have on a phone.

yeah. i checked out your app -- that looks awesome. i'm gonna have to download.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

yeah. i checked out your app -- that looks awesome. i'm gonna have to download.

Yup! All props go to jdanger for pointing the program out in one of his posts. It's fun to play around with. I think all coaches should use it when giving feedback. I am trying to get the guys at my CF gym to use it.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

If you're on Android there's another app called Platform Helper on Google Play that'll do tracking on the phone. Only problem I have now is getting all the video to work across all these apps. Right now it's an either-or situation which I'm a little bummed about.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

If you're on Android there's another app called Platform Helper on Google Play that'll do tracking on the phone. Only problem I have now is getting all the video to work across all these apps. Right now it's an either-or situation which I'm a little bummed about.

Ooooo. Going to go try this right now.

yay!!!!

:D Slowly getting there.

I'm pretty sure I love you for that!!!

come for the updates, stay for the snatch jokes

Your shoulder mobility is awesome. When you push through, you push through.

Heh, yeah, I like to dislocate my shoulders on the way down, then you know, reattach them at the bottom. Makes the movement way easier. :D In seriousnesss though, my shoulders are still one of my weakest spots. I think I spend at least 20 min a day doing shoulder pass throughs and shoulder circles.

Re: videos (and PR).... HELL YEAH!

Thanks!

Please explain shoulder pass throughs. Cleans and thrusters killing my elbows, wrists, and a bit of my shoulders too. Getting there, but ouchy joint pain for a few hours after.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

What he said.

Also for the wrists make sure to stretch them out before doing your lifts. I like to put my hands on the ground and lean foward, backward, side to side etc.

showing what I do. There are also tons of stuff on mobilitywod about wrist mobility. Basically take the video and add bands :)

oh and 'roo. You were right about pulling around the knees. I do it ever so slightly. It's probably due to the bar position when I start, which is almost to my ankles. I am going to try scooting the bar out to mid-foot or farther to see if this helps with that and to see if I can get the whole "sweep it into your body" thing down. :)

I was doing the same thing (starting the bar farther forward), and it was working, but jdanger tells me it'll be really tough at heavy weights to move the bar all the way back into if you start out there, and then you're stuck with the same problem (being out in front). I think it's really more about getting the knees back.

Now if only I could get the hip drive working...man my snatch sucks.

I was doing the same thing (starting the bar farther forward), and it was working, but jdanger tells me it'll be really tough at heavy weights to move the bar all the way back into if you start out there, and then you're stuck with the same problem (being out in front). I think it's really more about getting the knees back.

Now if only I could get the hip drive working...man my snatch sucks.

Might be, there was some discussion about it for taller lifters over in my snatch form check thread. But yeah, getting the knees back is key at the start.

I think I've got the hip drive thing down. So much so that the coach at the CF gym was like "Yeah try not to 'thrust' the bar so much". This is what happens when you spend hours watching the Cal strength videos. If it doesn't contact my hips I feel as if I am not doing it right.

Yeah, I know them then. I usually end up going too close and tweaking my elbow.

Thanks for the wrist video, I'll try that.

As far as the snatch, I would think thrusting more would be better as it won't be as effective at higher weights.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Corey, have you tried some of the mwods for shoulder mobility?

Anytime I do OHP or know I'm going to get into a front rack I do a handful of these before the workout. Noticeable improvement.

This one has a few good ones.

Darth shoulder

Rest day shoulder goodness

And this one

I mix and match depending on what's tight.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Corey, have you tried some of the mwods for shoulder mobility?

Anytime I do OHP or know I'm going to get into a front rack I do a handful of these before the workout. Noticeable improvement.

This one has a few good ones.

Darth shoulder

Rest day shoulder goodness

And this one

I mix and match depending on what's tight.

This gives me an idea, I think we (and by we, I mean people who do far more mobility than I do) should start a thread in the Strength Related Training section of the forum for mwods/mobility stuff that is good for certain lifts, or maybe just lifting in general. Maybe under programming? Thoughts anyone?

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

This gives me an idea, I think we (and by we, I mean people who do far more mobility than I do) should start a thread in the Strength Related Training section of the forum for mwods/mobility stuff that is good for certain lifts, or maybe just lifting in general. Maybe under programming? Thoughts anyone?

I love that idea.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

We don't want the bar to start too far in front but longer leg people will generally need to start with the bar farther out front than most people. Almost no one should be starting with the bar closer than midfoot. The big toe joint (bottom shoe lace) is where we start and adjust from there. What we don't want is the bar too far away from the body. Dropping our hips and pushing our knees forward at the start will drive the bar forward and the bar should remain within a hairs breath of the legs at the start but longer legs will naturally push the bar farther than short ones. Pulling off the ground with the bar three inches in front of the legs is a recipe for poor leverage and getting pulled forward.

But yeah, we setup out there so that we can effectively pull the bar back into ourselves during the pull. Knees back is a good way to think about this. So is sweep the bar in, pull it tight, use the lats, ect.

The main things to look for in the start are:

• Knees even with or in front of the eblows
  • Shoulders over (not in front of) the bar
  • Hips around parallel (the exact position will depend on proportions and the first two things being true)
  • Back tight and in slight extension
  • Weight balanced over the forefoot
  • Bar within a cm of your shins

If everything on that checklist is true you're in a pretty good start. And, not accidentally, the bar will end up somewhere over your big toe joint and front of the toes.

Might be, there was some discussion about it for taller lifters over in my snatch form check thread. But yeah, getting the knees back is key at the start.

I think I've got the hip drive thing down. So much so that the coach at the CF gym was like "Yeah try not to 'thrust' the bar so much". This is what happens when you spend hours watching the Cal strength videos. If it doesn't contact my hips I feel as if I am not doing it right.

Again the knees back thing a proxy for the idea of shifting the entire center of mass rearward during the pull. If we start with the bar too close and our balance too far back we paradoxically can not get back into proper positions further upstream because we a) won't be able to get our knees out of the way properly and B) will simply fall over. We need to start forward so that we can bring everything back.

The hip action is the hardest part of the lift and I'm not just being unnecessarily mean when I say it isn't there yet. You should absolutely contact the hips. Keeping the bar close is the golden rule after all. What we need to distinguish between is thrusting the hips forward into the bar and pulling the bar into the hips and thrusting straight up. The latter is what we want to do. Everything follows the hips. We shoot them forward and everything goes forward. We shoot them up correctly and things go up (and a little forward but not too much).

Start working the

drill. This and reps at Pendlay's number 1 position will help to get the hips moving the way they need to. Adding the platform for the balance feedback, high pulls to think about keeping the bar close after the second pull and having someone put a stick in front of the bar (this is a crowd favorite, ask Roo) will help triage the tendency to thrust forward. After a gillion reps you won't know how to do it any other way.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines