Laura's "Y U waste so much?" Challenge

Hermione Gainser

I know what you're thinking... Laura! You just switched work out plans. Rest assured, I'm not suffering from f*ckarounditis. The current plan circled around squats as I've been recently permitted to squat myself silly. Now I can deadlift again. So, what to do?

I want the next 6 weeks or so to be about getting all my lifts back on track (not to where they were, obvs, but form back, more working weight) so I can start a crazy 2 day volume workout a la Jim Steel (which is very different from my 3x5 and 5x5 of the past).

Most Importantly, I need your advice on how to program squats and deadlifts given where I'm coming from in injury land, while benching an absurd amount and with my future plan in mind.

For starters, this is a definite. The comment section here is where I got the idea for OHP in plan 1.

Here are a few plan ideas:

Plan 1:

Tuesdays

Squat 3x5?

Bench as laid out in above link

OHP 80%max 5x2

Accessory work--I can't decide! lunges or step ups (or both?); chin ups.

-->accessory work will be done in 3x6-10

Saturdays

Squat 3x5?

Bench as laid out above

OHP 80%max 5x3+

Deadlift 3x8-12 light weight (for 2-3 weeks, then switch to standard 1x5)

Accessory work--Good mornings; hip thrusts; chin ups.

Plan 2:

Tuesdays

Squat 3x5?

OHP 80%max rest pause sets (1 rep, rest, 1 rep, rest, etc until 10 reps reached with 15 seconds, then add weight, rinse repeat)

Accessory work-- lunges or step ups; chin ups.

Thursday

Deadlift 3x8-12 light weight (for 2-3 wks, then 1x5)

Accessory work--single legged squat work; hip thrusts; chin ups.

form work on new lifts--cleans, specifically

Saturdays

Squat 3x8-12 lighter weight than Tues.

Accessory work--bent over row; lunges or step ups or front squats (light)?

AND of course, there are ways to alter these two plans... but I'm not going to post 500 plans ideas :) So, thoughts? Accessory work is most needed for hips, posterior chain, quads.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I prefer bulgarian split squats (I feel more bang for my buck with them) to lunges and step ups, but other than that, not a ton of advice on what to do. I think I prefer the second plan, just to have a day dedicated to DLs since you have been out of the DL game for awhile.

Accessory work is most needed for hips, posterior chain, quads.

Your plan says you want to start working on cleans, so I'd do a lot of those. Good hip action and if you're doing full ass-to-grass cleans instead of power cleans, you get that quad focused front squat action going on.

Other stuff for hips and posterior chain: kettlebell/DB swings or one-arm snatches maybe.

You should check out this table I've mentioned elsewhere that modifies the table suggesting how many reps you should do at various percentages of your 1RM -- women need to do more reps than men, so if you're doing a program you might want to do more reps than it says you should.

Reps: Women (Men)

[table=width: 500, class: grid]

% 1RM

Light

Medium

Heavy

Subjective Difficulty

-

-

1 (1)

[/td]

-

2 (1)

5 (3)

5 (3)

8 (5)

10 (8)

8 (5)

10 (8)

12 (10)

10 (8)

12 (10)

15 (12)

15 (12)

25 (20)

25+ (25+)

[td]

Low

Moderate

High

Adaptive Stimulus

[/table]

I prefer bulgarian split squats (I feel more bang for my buck with them) to lunges and step ups, but other than that, not a ton of advice on what to do. I think I prefer the second plan, just to have a day dedicated to DLs since you have been out of the DL game for awhile.

Those were listed in accessory work info I have compiled. They definitely work really well. I'm worried they might be too hard on my legs with the other work? But maybe not if I'm doing plan 2. Basically, I'm a scaredy laura hehehehehhe

Your plan says you want to start working on cleans, so I'd do a lot of those. Good hip action and if you're doing full ass-to-grass cleans instead of power cleans, you get that quad focused front squat action going on.

Other stuff for hips and posterior chain: kettlebell/DB swings or one-arm snatches maybe.

You should check out this table I've mentioned elsewhere that modifies the table suggesting how many reps you should do at various percentages of your 1RM -- women need to do more reps than men, so if you're doing a program you might want to do more reps than it says you should.

Reps: Women (Men)

[table=width: 500, class: grid]

% 1RM

Light

Medium

Heavy

Subjective Difficulty

-

-

1 (1)

[/td]

-

2 (1)

5 (3)

5 (3)

8 (5)

10 (8)

8 (5)

10 (8)

12 (10)

10 (8)

12 (10)

15 (12)

15 (12)

25 (20)

25+ (25+)

[td]

Low

Moderate

High

Adaptive Stimulus

[/table]

That is interesting re: cleans. I didn't think about squat cleans instead of power cleans. I want to learn them but they will not be a part of (or, it's highly unlikely) the program I have planned after this. So... I'm unsure. But the hip action would be good. I'm also worried about the jumping aspect. Maybe I should wait until I get a little further in the quad development? Hmm.

I won't mess with the bench program. I want to try it as written. But for accessory stuff I used to do 3x8-12. Given how intense I anticipate this being and how sucky my recovery seems to be I want to aim lower and adjust up as necessary.

I know they terrify you visually, but SLDLs are great for the posterior chain. Food for thought.

Also, yay for the avatar's return! Now I will recognize you when you are posting in other threads again.

hahaha yeaaaaaaaaaah.. probably not ready for the scary ass SLDLs yet :)

woohoo! I missed my avatar so much!

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

I just demolished half a rotisserie chicken for lunch, and I thought of you :)

I did the same thing for supper last night, although I kept thinking "Damn, this chicken is delicious"

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

I did the same thing for supper last night, although I kept thinking "Damn, this chicken is delicious"

Bahahaahah! I LOLed. My boss looked at me weird. Took me a second to get the joke, MP.

You do bench and OHP on the same day? I tried that once and about dropped the bar on mah face. I'm already not gifted in the looks department, so I'm sure a flat nose wouldn't do me any favors. I really have no advice on how to setup a workout. And don't even recommend splitting up the two. Just giving you props for donig both on the same day.

Plus, now I want a rotisserie chicken. All of it!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

I don't think I jump all that much for the cleans, though a) I could be jumping more than I think, B) I could be doing it wrong, and c) the amount that I am jumping (and if you jump about as much as I do) might still be too hard on your knees. But I don't think I'd jump less for power cleans anyway, so if you'd be doing power cleans and if you do front squats, which I think you do, I don't see why you couldn't combine the two to do cleans with the full squat and you'll want to keep them light while you're working on form anyway. But do whatever you need to do to not hurt yourself.

For the chart it makes sense that you don't want to mess with the program until you've tried it as written, though I do think that if the chart is right about men and women and reps you won't get as much out of the program as a man would since the reps are designed for him. But you'll still get something out of it, so that's fine. As far as the chart and squats go, if you're doing 5 reps for the heavy day and want the 8-12 to be a medium/light day you can always go with the weight that would give you a medium day if you did twelve reps (60% of your 'max' instead of the 80% with eight reps) and as long as you get at least eight at the lower weight, you're good.

HAHAHAA yessssssssss!!!

Bahahaahah! I LOLed. My boss looked at me weird. Took me a second to get the joke, MP.

You do bench and OHP on the same day? I tried that once and about dropped the bar on mah face. I'm already not gifted in the looks department, so I'm sure a flat nose wouldn't do me any favors. I really have no advice on how to setup a workout. And don't even recommend splitting up the two. Just giving you props for donig both on the same day.

Plus, now I want a rotisserie chicken. All of it!

hahaha I haven't actually done them on the same day before but the guy who designed the bench program suggested it as a way to work OHP, too... so I'm going to be brave and possibly end up posting photos of my battle wounds :P I could probably use some nose flattening. Big ol' french nose o' mine.

Yes! eat ALL the rotisserie chicken!!!

I don't think I jump all that much for the cleans, though a) I could be jumping more than I think, B) I could be doing it wrong, and c) the amount that I am jumping (and if you jump about as much as I do) might still be too hard on your knees. But I don't think I'd jump less for power cleans anyway, so if you'd be doing power cleans and if you do front squats, which I think you do, I don't see why you couldn't combine the two to do cleans with the full squat and you'll want to keep them light while you're working on form anyway. But do whatever you need to do to not hurt yourself.

For the chart it makes sense that you don't want to mess with the program until you've tried it as written, though I do think that if the chart is right about men and women and reps you won't get as much out of the program as a man would since the reps are designed for him. But you'll still get something out of it, so that's fine. As far as the chart and squats go, if you're doing 5 reps for the heavy day and want the 8-12 to be a medium/light day you can always go with the weight that would give you a medium day if you did twelve reps (60% of your 'max' instead of the 80% with eight reps) and as long as you get at least eight at the lower weight, you're good.

I guess the best way to figure out these cleans is to go ahead and try them...see what happens. I do have pvc at home, after all....

ah yes, I didn't even think about it in terms of all the reps for all the things haha sometimes I'm a little special. Good call re: squats. That makes sense.

other challenge updates:

I'm about half way through studying. I tried to get some in at work today but was actually busy most of the day with work. So, yeah.

Boyf and I went on a lovely neighborhood walk last night. He never wants to go on walks. So 1/2 down. and 2/3 work walks down.

I'm tempted to start the morning mile challenge. I've been thinking about walking in the mornings before work. So maybe...

I guess the best way to figure out these cleans is to go ahead and try them...see what happens. I do have pvc at home, after all....

IMO, cleans with PVC are harder than cleans with some weight, or even just an empty bar. It's hard to get a feel for the right movements with the PVC. Somewhere, jdanger has a list of resources for learning the Oly lifts. I'll have to see if I can dig it up for you. Basically, you start with hang cleans, then start working your way down through all the different positions. I think it's all laid out in a CalStrength video...?

IMO, cleans with PVC are harder than cleans with some weight, or even just an empty bar. It's hard to get a feel for the right movements with the PVC. Somewhere, jdanger has a list of resources for learning the Oly lifts. I'll have to see if I can dig it up for you. Basically, you start with hang cleans, then start working your way down through all the different positions. I think it's all laid out in a CalStrength video...?

Truth. The biggest problem with cleaning PVC is that you can't rack it. You need a little weight on your wrists in order to establish a proper rack position.

The Cal Strength videos are here. They are great, but I found that while I thought I was following them, I really wasn't. Use those as a start and post videos for jdanger - that'll probably be your best bet. :)

^That

Pretty sure this is where I was directed when I started learning them. Also linked in the resources post.

ETA: Beaten to the punch by msuroo (which wants to autocorrect as mushrooms, btw). Although my problem with PVC cleans is less the rack than the motion of the second pull and hip drive.

^That

Pretty sure this is where I was directed when I started learning them. Also linked in the resources post.

ETA: Beaten to the punch by msuroo (which wants to autocorrect as mushrooms, btw). Although my problem with PVC cleans is less the rack than the motion of the second pull and hip drive.

Aye, mine too. I have too much arm pulling and not enough getting down when the weight is light. It's hard not to power clean/reverse curl a light weight.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I do some weird, bastardized version of a hang clean when I'm moving the bar in and out of the rack to reposition... so, this should be interesting.

So, I guess I'll start with the bar?

Thanks for the links! I recall seeing that thread when J posted it but had forgotten about it since. When you all practice/started to learn, did you separate the movements like those videos or just go for the whole shebang at once?

When I was learning snatch I looked at the California Strength videos, but I learned to power clean to get the bar up to my jury-rigged squat rack back when I was using something that would tip over if I had a 25# plate on one side but not the other, so I needed to put the 25# plates on either side of the bar and clean it if I wanted to squat using plates bigger than the 10s. This meant I was starting to learn power cleans with 65# and they were pretty ugly because I was doing them first thing with no warmup before that. But eventually I got to the point where I could just clean that weight with decent form and these days I don't even have to start with the weight on the ground -- I can hang clean it and this is still how I re-rack the bar rather than unloading it all the way. I don't really recommend this method if you're worried about injuries though-- I'd start with doing hang cleans with a lighter weight as in the videos if I had to do it over again.

Oy, whatta fun workout!

OHP:

45x5

65x3

70x1

75x1

80x1 (PR)

82x1 (PR)

Woot! 7lb 1RM PR!

Squat: 60 12x2

Hang clean practice

Just did a bunch of attempts. Taped one set, but doubt I'll post it. Eventually got past the fear of throwing the bar into my face :)

Cleans...they're hard.

Step down: 2x8 or so. did more on the left leg

Dips: 4

Hip thrusts:2x8

Lots of mobility.

This week has been a mess. I hit a wall. But finally got a solid recharge yesterday. I'm afraid studying has not gone well. BUT I have been good about eating well. So woot for that.

Looked in the mirror this morning and noticed some more definition in my "fat" arm. Huzzah!

Woot OHP PR!

It's really one of the most rewarding PRs hahaha Take that OHP!

Week 5 Recap

SPOILER ALERT:Not the way to end a challenge.

sad-o.gif

GOALS:

Goal 1

Eat efficiently- Can a warrior feed herself properly on $5 a day? Well, no. Probably not. But reading this blog post got me thinking about how much I spend on food per pay period (twice monthly pay schedule). Could I figure out how I spend and get a rough estimate of what it works out to per meal? Sure. And it would include excel sheets and formulas and graphs, OH MY! (nerdy delight!).

The What-Work on spending less for nutritionally sound food.

The How-Post updates as pay periods end and at end of challenge. Experiment with cheaper sources of protein. Plan recipes that utilize shared ingredients.

Spent an average of $16/day this last pay period. Part of that was buying a ton of meat to save. Had to buy MORE coffee b/c boyfriend drank all mine.. so I shouldn't count that.. but it's there.

Sub goal- Spend less, eat less. By default, if I'm spending less on food I should be able to keep myself in check. Theoretically. We'll see. No points awarded here but goal is to keep it 1850 or less (subject to change).

No treaty treats!

Goal 2

Squat myself silly- Doctor gave me the okay to start squatting again with the caveat I do lots o' reps, light, light weight.

The What-- Develop new plan OR decide on specific coaching and change plan completely; Squat twice a week and do supplementary quad work on non squat day.

The How-- Research, Post for help in 'help' forum, email folks about coaching, SQUAT.

Lots o' squats. I recorded myself a few times to see how my form is. I've got some major butt wink going on. MOAR MOBILITY!

Goal 3

A mind is a terrible thing to waste- What? You mean I waste more than food? YES! My life is filled with the intellectually uninspiring. My job, while fun, does not challenge my mind. At home, though I don't have cable of any sort, I miraculously find ways to waste my beautiful brain. For whyz?! I want to be able to discuss more than Supernatural and the nuances of Harry Potter.

The What- Spend at 6 hours weekly on my online classes. (A&P, Statistics). Read non guilty pleasure/fluff (Sorry Harry!)

The How- Log on and get to work! I have plenty of time (at least 4 days each week) at home.

Reading Part 1: I joined the NF Book club! So, one book per challenge here. I don't have control (just a vote) over what's picked so if it's fluffy it's okay. Discussion makes for the smarts.

Reading Part 2: Work my way through the gads of books we have at home that I've not read. Start with classics and 'should have read by now /shameface' and move on down the line.

Current: Crime and Punishment. For this: minimum of 2 chapters weekly.

The big WOMP, WOMP here. Only spent a little over 3 hours on classes.Did not read a single page in 1Q84. Though, I did complete my requisite C&P reading.

Goal 4

Cardio- Ugh. I know, I know! But sometimes we need to experiment. So, here it is.

The What- LISS in the form of walking; Elliptical

The Walking How- At work lunchtime walk: 30 mins 3x/wk; At home neighborhood walk: 30-60 mins 2x/wk

The Elliptical How- Post lift 15-20 mins, every lift.

Got 2 neighborhood walks--one of which was in the neighborhood, one was spending 5+ hours with my bestie window/Christmas shopping. Maybe one or two work walks. Definitely not 3.

I did no cardio at the gym. :(

Mini Challenges:

Week 1- Complete

Week 2- Complete (21821 total, a decent showing).

Week 3- N/A doctor's orders :( But I did get a monk to do some in my honor. Sadly, the monks beat us.. so that plan may not have been the best :P

Week 4- I did my best to offer my knowledgez all around the forum.

Week 5- Secret challenge... I'm not sure if I was additionally helpful. I think I continued with that but mostly it was because I'm re establishing my version of 'love thy neighbor' (which has a lot do with everything going on right now).

Week 6- Focus on really hitting some goals... let's see... what shall I do?

Two Ideas

1. Laura's Pre-Birthday Health FEST! It's officially "The Holiday Season". Halloween is this week, lots o' treats. My birthday is in ~2 weeks. There will be cake (amongst other things). Thanksgiving is ~2 weeks after that... then Christmas... The theme here? TREATS! So much food! So much crappy food.

So, I've had my share of treats. I will celebrate heartily the weekend of my birthday and I will not feel bad about it for one itty bitty second. But what I really want to do is make the next two weeks an awesome diet experiment.

Parameters:

• Macro cycling with care. Carby workout days, low carby rest days. LESS carbs on workout days than I've been eating recently (there have been too many).
  • No more treats. yes i'm awesome. yes I "deserve" them. but seriously, stop being a fatty laura. stop it.
  • This will run from today until my birthday (Nov. 10).

Exceptions/Allowances:

• One cheat meal, with Boyf, this week. MEAL. Not day.
  • Work bday party. We always do it. It's always awkward. But it will happen before my bday (given the 10th is a Sat) so that is allowed. HOPEFULLY, they'll do it the day before and that will start my weekend of celebration. But it could happen anytime.

I ate out a couple times but nothing I didn't consider acceptable: frozen yogurt with sliced fruit (good frozen yogurt-not sugary crap), Chipotle burrito-tortilla was worst but otherwise all steak, veg and guac, latte--just milk and espresso. Had cheat meal with Boyf--Malaysian food (holyzomgnoms) and Coldstone for dessert. Otherwise, successfully informed folks that I would not eat their candy, cookies, or cakes. And actually refrained.

I actually thought of this before I knew what our next mini challenge would be. It's kind of fitting and it'll run between challenges but I'm putting it here for accountability, dangit.

2. Get 6 hours of Studying in if it kills ya, for cryin' out loud!

That's pretty self explanatory. I've been hitting everything else, but I'm about to Chuck Norris this goal.

See above--fail. only 3ish hours. Turns out, the goal Chuck Norris'd me. Damn.

Overall for the week: C-

Overall challenge update to come...

Yeah, I can see how that technique would be scary. You don't want all that metal in your face. Heck, braces are bad enough as it is. ;)

Also, look at you crushing that OHP on the last days of the challenge! That's what I like to see!

Thanks! It was super exciting! I'm hoping I'll hit bodyweight in another year... maybe.. hahah is that too hopeful? Damn you OHP!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines