• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hermione Gainser

Laura's "Y U waste so much?" Challenge

The things I miss by not having cable. ::shakes head sadly::

I haven't had cable over 6 years. Netflix streaming+random googling=stuff I can watch when I feel like watching tv but refuse to pay for 600 channels full of mindless BS.

True story: cable companies piss me off. Like a lot. It's weird. I get riled. Okay. Moving on.

but yeah, the internet has everything, man.

Hey!! I'm not crazy... Ok, fine. Maybe a little. I prefer "stubborn with a big splash of sassy."

That's right! Kelly's a red head!! True. You don't strike me as the soul sucking, hides in the bushes to watch people kinda gal. +1 for not fitting stereotypes :D

I likey the redheads. Except in my experience, I tend to have a lot of um... chemistry... with them, but then horrible chemistry in terms of personality clashing.

Hahahaha 'chemistry' ah yes..

Where does Laura stand as we head into the weekend?

Y U WASTE?!

• I have not gone to the store once this week (aside from original shopping trip to pick up planned items). That is.. unheard of.

• I didn't think to keep my receipts from the last trip so I can't figure out how much has gone to waste or know for sure what I bought when (this pay period, end of previous?). I'll keep track of that going forward.

• Last night I threw away: 2 baby sweet peppers and 2 strawberries. I don't recall how much the peppers cost (I bought 4 when I bought them) but the strawberries were $2.50 for the container. My guess, there are 15-20 berries in the container. So, $0.13-$0.17 each.

• In danger of being thrown away: Red cabbage. Must find use for it tonight. Suggestions?

Squat Myself Silly

Now that specific plan has been set...

• I've done 1/2 days of squats so far. Saturday is slated to be a squat day. So, I'm set here.
  • Posted my HALP thread. Feel free to head over and offer ideas, start discussions, drop knowledge bombs.
  • I have not sent emails yet.

Y U WASTE BRAIN?!

• Studying: 3/6 hours completed (1 A&P, 2 Stats)
  • Book Club: Ordered book
  • Crime and Punishment: 1/2 chapters read

Cardio

• Walk at work: 2 or 3, but I'll walk again today to make it a definite 3.
  • Elliptical: 2/3, last for the week is scheduled for after Sat's lift
  • Walk at home: 1/2

So, definitely a solid week thus far.

The only thing I personally use cabbage for is bierocks. Yummmm.... But you coudl make a cole slaw. Some friends of mine went to South Carolina this summer, and now all they do is talk about BBQ with cole slaw on it. I'm sure since you're from the south you alreayd know of this trick. But I vote BBQ + cole slaw.

My mom also makes an Asian salad with cabbage. I'm sure it's not super-healthy, but that's my second vote: something Asian salady.

PS- The only people I've ever wanted to stalk are those who I think are lying to my loved ones. And more so I know whether or not to trust that particular person (and give good advice) than anything else. As far as MY love life goes... I've never really been intersted in someone enough to stalk them. Mostly I just get annoyed and when they dump me I'm a little relieved. I'm too recluse to care enough to stalk - or suck souls. I'm trying hard enough to sell MY soul. Why would I want someone else's? ;)

Red cabbage + rendered bacon = my go to when leafy stuff is about to expire.

Basically slice bacon real thin. Cook bacon, throw cabbage into pan, mix and wilt a bit. Take off heat add a dah of balsamic annnnnd consume.

Bacon makes everything better.

So epic post isn't sooooo epic:

Workout update!

side note: bought a little notebook since my phone got all jacked up and I lost all my previous data (insert tears) but forgot it in gym bag

Mobility Foam rolled hips and back. Nothing else.

Bulgarian Split Squats: 15# dbs 2x8

holy frak, why is that so hard?!?!?!?!

Bench: 85 (deloaded from 95, which was a deload from 100) 3x5

Walking Lunges: 40 (weightless)

Chin ups: 2/2/1; 1 90* hold and lower, 1 45* hold and flop

Burpees! for our challenge: 30 WARRIORS GET OUT THERE AND BURPEE!

Elliptical: 15 minutes

Notes: I was super fatigued last night so I took it kind of easy in that I didn't stay forever and do a million things which i'm inclined to do on days I don't get to squat. Thur is usually OHP day but I got a flu shot (boo,hiss) and my arm didn't want to move that way. So bench it was!

The only thing I personally use cabbage for is bierocks. Yummmm.... But you coudl make a cole slaw. Some friends of mine went to South Carolina this summer, and now all they do is talk about BBQ with cole slaw on it. I'm sure since you're from the south you alreayd know of this trick. But I vote BBQ + cole slaw.

My mom also makes an Asian salad with cabbage. I'm sure it's not super-healthy, but that's my second vote: something Asian salady.

PS- The only people I've ever wanted to stalk are those who I think are lying to my loved ones. And more so I know whether or not to trust that particular person (and give good advice) than anything else. As far as MY love life goes... I've never really been intersted in someone enough to stalk them. Mostly I just get annoyed and when they dump me I'm a little relieved. I'm too recluse to care enough to stalk - or suck souls. I'm trying hard enough to sell MY soul. Why would I want someone else's? ;)

I do love 'slaw on BBQ. But only some kinds of slaw. It's weird. I'm new to this liking coleslaw thing so I'm not yet sure what I like. BUT, that was my original intention when I purchased it (since I knew the recipe wouldn't use the entire head). So, maybe I'll just suck it up?

Hahahahahaha Too many souls!!!! I have a friend who's a red head and she's nuts. But so is her fiance. It kind of works. Like their crazy blend or cancel each other out or something. I don't know.

Basically slice bacon real thin. Cook bacon, throw cabbage into pan, mix and wilt a bit. Take off heat add a dah of balsamic annnnnd consume.

Truth. Good call! And I think we have some bacon at home (which would be awesome!).

I do love 'slaw on BBQ. But only some kinds of slaw. It's weird. I'm new to this liking coleslaw thing so I'm not yet sure what I like. BUT, that was my original intention when I purchased it (since I knew the recipe wouldn't use the entire head). So, maybe I'll just suck it up?

I'm with you on the anti-coleslaw front. I feel like there are probably good slaws out there, but I ain't seen them. And here is something I've been wanting to try. Although, I want to try almost all of AB's recipes.

Holy crap that sounds awesome. And a much better way to use the cabbage than throw it in a soup with the rest of the veggies like at my house.

You could also blend it instead of spinach and put it in a shake?

I do a similar thing with spinach. Never thought to try cabbage. Now I want cabbage!

Also, I don't care for cole slaw, either. I'm not a connoisseur or anything, but mostly I never order it. They do this garlic salad thing at a restaurant in town that's wildly popular. I personally don't love it but like it better than cole slaw. Some people go to the restaurant just for this salad. Here's a recipe that's allegedly the exact recipe. who knows. However, it has Hellmann's in it, which allegedly can't be substituted. There's a lot of "allegedly" in this post. Is this a murder investigation?

My opinion? That's a lot of veggies for such a little amount of garlic for it to be considered a "garlic salad." But hey, I'm also not drinking their koolaid.

Oh! My whole point!! My friend says cole slaw sucks until you add garlic salt. So that's my cole slaw take-away.Although I've never revamped a cole slaw recipe with added garlic salt to test.

DOC'S GARLIC SALAD

This recipe comes from Doc's Steak House in Wichita.

1 large head of lettuce, shredded finely

1 small head of cabbage, shredded finely

1 stock celery, shredded finely

6 medium size carrots, shredded finely

Pinch of garlic powder

2 t. garlic salt

Hellmann’s Mayonnaise (do no substitute any other)

Be sure all ingredients are chopped finely. Use food processor shredding blade. Mix all ingredients together. Then add Hellmann’s Mayonnaise until it is the consistency of coleslaw.

Allow the flavors to blend for one hour in the refrigerator before serving.

Edited by Kelly

HAHAHA.... I keep asking myself that same thing when it's part of my NROL4W routine, yet I keep doing them! I don't think regular squats have ever made me as sore as these buggers do.

HAHAHA.... I keep asking myself that same thing when it's part of my NROL4W routine, yet I keep doing them! I don't think regular squats have ever made me as sore as these buggers do.

It's because you're not used to using one leg at a time for heavy things. I should do more of them myself.

THIS.

Stupid double post. Here's a gif to make up for it:

ricky-o.gif

Happy Friday?

you rick rolled us.

not fun.

I'm with you on the anti-coleslaw front. I feel like there are probably good slaws out there, but I ain't seen them. And here is something I've been wanting to try. Although, I want to try almost all of AB's recipes.

Holy noms! That sounds so good! I love Alton Brown. He shops at my sister's grocery store a lot but we've yet to run into him. He's awesome.

Holy crap that sounds awesome. And a much better way to use the cabbage than throw it in a soup with the rest of the veggies like at my house.

You could also blend it instead of spinach and put it in a shake?

So true! I made a sweet and sour beef and cabbage soup last winter. No. Not so much. Cabbage is weird in soup.

You know, I wondered... I almost tried that this morning until I remembered I had used the rest of my produce. But I'll have to try it when I get more.

I do a similar thing with spinach. Never thought to try cabbage. Now I want cabbage!

Also, I don't care for cole slaw, either. I'm not a connoisseur or anything, but mostly I never order it. They do this garlic salad thing at a restaurant in town that's wildly popular. I personally don't love it but like it better than cole slaw. Some people go to the restaurant just for this salad. Here's a recipe that's allegedly the exact recipe. who knows. However, it has Hellmann's in it, which allegedly can't be substituted. There's a lot of "allegedly" in this post. Is this a murder investigation?

My opinion? That's a lot of veggies for such a little amount of garlic for it to be considered a "garlic salad." But hey, I'm also not drinking their koolaid.

Oh! My whole point!! My friend says cole slaw sucks until you add garlic salt. So that's my cole slaw take-away.Although I've never revamped a cole slaw recipe with added garlic salt to test.

DOC'S GARLIC SALAD

This recipe comes from Doc's Steak House in Wichita.

1 large head of lettuce, shredded finely

1 small head of cabbage, shredded finely

1 stock celery, shredded finely

6 medium size carrots, shredded finely

Pinch of garlic powder

2 t. garlic salt

Hellmann’s Mayonnaise (do no substitute any other)

Be sure all ingredients are chopped finely. Use food processor shredding blade. Mix all ingredients together. Then add Hellmann’s Mayonnaise until it is the consistency of coleslaw.

Allow the flavors to blend for one hour in the refrigerator before serving.

That's very interesting. I generally don't care for garlic salt and am mostly opposed to celery so I have a feeling this recipe and I will not be friends. But thanks for trying!! :P

I haven't done them since my brief stint with NR and I forgot how heinous they are. I think I over shot thinking I could handle 30#s. I forget that I'm basically back at square one with my lower body so even though I could lift big weights not so much now. OUCH.

It's because you're not used to using one leg at a time for heavy things. I should do more of them myself.

Yes. And yes.

Fistbump - nice work Ms Laura.

:fistbump: Thanks, Roo!

THIS.

you rick rolled us.

not fun.

HAHAHAHA I definitely didn't intend to rick roll my friends. Apologies. I just clicked the first funny ish gif I found :P Must learn to gif responsibly.

Walked. So, that clears up the weekly requirement.

Had a super ridiculously frustrating morning so I'm battling Upset Brain. Do you guys ever get that? Where you can't think straight? I hate it. I'm trying to figure out things and do work and my brain's all fuzzy. Feeling better but still have fuzzy brain. Unfuzz, damn you!

Holy noms! That sounds so good! I love Alton Brown. He shops at my sister's grocery store a lot but we've yet to run into him. He's awesome.

I do not know anyone over whom I would go more fanboy than Alton Brown. I must visit you in Atlanta for the chance to run in to him. Does he shop at the Whole Foods frequently featured on Good Eats?

#definitelynotastalker

And I hate fuzzy brain! It always happens at work.

Edited by The Tin Man

Had a super ridiculously frustrating morning so I'm battling Upset Brain. Do you guys ever get that? Where you can't think straight? I hate it. I'm trying to figure out things and do work and my brain's all fuzzy. Feeling better but still have fuzzy brain. Unfuzz, damn you!

all the time.

if you're on AIM at work, feel free to hit me up and we can vent. (or gchat)

*posts detour sign* LEAVE THE WIN FOR THE ASSASSINS!

ಠ_ಠ

Tricky Assassin!!!! You deserve the rick roll! :P

I do not know anyone over whom I would go more fanboy than Alton Brown. I must visit you in Atlanta for the chance to run in to him. Does he shop at the Whole Foods frequently featured on Good Eats?

#definitelynotastalker

And I hate fuzzy brain! It always happens at work.

Hahaha that's awesome! If you make it Atlanta we will have a NF Stalk AB Meet Up. And maybe we can convince him to come cook awesome stuff with us.

I'm not sure about the Whole Foods (though, I'd wager yes) but the other one for sure (Publix, I think?) Not having TV throws me off. I just know b/c Sister mentions it every time we happen across something AB related :)

all the time.

if you're on AIM at work, feel free to hit me up and we can vent. (or gchat)

AIM! I haven't used AIM in too long. But gchat. I'm all up on that shiz. I'm special though. Can you find me? My gmail is just my firstname.lastname (b/c my name is awesome enough that no one else had it yet woot).

p.s. Just did 5 more burpees in my office. it's hard in work capris. Also. doms.

Edited by Laura
burpees

I do not know anyone over whom I would go more fanboy than Alton Brown.

Yes!

Also, does it count as rick rolling when you can't actually hear the song? I feel like this is a gray area...

Re: cabbage. I sometimes shred it (read: chop in thin strips) and stir fry lightly with {already cooked meat of choice}. If you keep it light, it gives a nice crunchy texture.

Bonus with BBQ is that it is about as dirt cheap a form of meat as there is. Relative to the effective poundage of meat you get, pork shoulder is about as cheap as meat gets.

Hahaha that's awesome! If you make it Atlanta we will have a NF Stalk AB Meet Up. And maybe we can convince him to come cook awesome stuff with us.

I'm not sure about the Whole Foods (though, I'd wager yes) but the other one for sure (Publix, I think?) Not having TV throws me off. I just know b/c Sister mentions it every time we happen across something AB related :)

I've seen the farmers market over by me on Good Eats a few times. He has to shop there on occasion, heck I think everyone in the Atl metro area that enjoys cooking shops there on occasion. Has to be the best produce selection in the state, if not the entire SE US.

Speaking of BBQ, when I make Q I do it in my clay pot smoker than I learned how to make from Alton on Good Eats. I came to find out after making it that about half my coworkers have made them too.

Edited by Waldo

I'll get the sign in sheet, wait, do stalkers use sign in sheets? I'm new to this. Maybe that can be the next nerd fitness mini challenge, first group to find Alton Brown wins.

Bonus with BBQ is that it is about as dirt cheap a form of meat as there is. Relative to the effective poundage of meat you get, pork shoulder is about as cheap as meat gets.

I've seen the farmers market over by me on Good Eats a few times. He has to shop there on occasion, heck I think everyone in the Atl metro area that enjoys cooking shops there on occasion. Has to be the best produce selection in the state, if not the entire SE US.

Speaking of BBQ, when I make Q I do it in my clay pot smoker than I learned how to make from Alton on Good Eats. I came to find out after making it that about half my coworkers have made them too.

I love a good point that works directly with my goals. :)

Which Farmer's market does he go to? I I go to Buford and Dekalb on the regular so I will start stalking more and focusing on making it through the crowds less :)

Oh man, I can't wait until we get a house so our cooking addiction can spread outdoors.

I'll get the sign in sheet, wait, do stalkers use sign in sheets? I'm new to this. Maybe that can be the next nerd fitness mini challenge, first group to find Alton Brown wins.

I hope none of his people find this. It'll make it harder to find him if we end up with restraining orders :P Alton! We mean you no harm!

Which Farmer's market does he go to? I I go to Buford and Dekalb on the regular so I will start stalking more and focusing on making it through the crowds less :)

Dekalb. While I've never seen Alton there, I have seen it on Good Eats.

I would find it hard to believe that a food lover the caliber of Alton wouldn't find his way to the Dekalb farmers market at least on occasion.

Sadly, for living near walking distance from the place, we don't make it over there often enough at all.

Are you talking about a terracotta smoker with a hot plate? I tried to make one of those a few years back and ended up giving up after I melted through THREE hot plates. What's the trick?

Dekalb. While I've never seen Alton there, I have seen it on Good Eats.

I would find it hard to believe that a food lover the caliber of Alton wouldn't find his way to the Dekalb farmers market at least on occasion.

Sadly, for living near walking distance from the place, we don't make it over there often enough at all.

Oooh, that's my favorite! I can't wait until they expand it.