• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

milythael

Goals Aren't Why, They Are How

Until 10 minutes ago, I thought I knew what my goals would be. I had forgotten that my purpose for getting fit isn't to smash goals. My purpose is to increase the joy in my life. I owe a lot to Loren Wade for helping me remember. I also owe a lot to the support of friends like Kari Klay, and all the inhabitants of #nerdfitness.

Newly Revised Goals

1. Revel in my body.
    Every week, do something physical that makes me happy.
    Criteria: 1 point for each successful week. Max of 6.
    1 STR, 1 DEX, 1 STA
  2. Fight fear.
    Every week, attempt a skill or workout that scares me.
    Make videos whenever possible.
    Criteria: 1 point for each successful week. Max of 6.
    2 CHA, 2 WIS
  3. Care for my body.
    Eat clean. Sleep. Meditate.
    Care for myself and I will reap the rewards.
    Criteria: Days when I successfully care for myself in a reasonably appropriate manner. Showers on weekdays, healthy meals, actually eating food, and sleeping. Days will be rated on a scale of 1-10. Max 420 points. Every 40 lost points will knock off a letter grade.
    5 CON
  4. Focus on my career.
    Each week, spend 20 hours working on my second job, and send out at least one application to replace my first job.
    Criteria: Hours towards the second job will count as x/20 up to a max of 6 points. Each application sent will count as a point with a max of 6 points. Each 1.5 points short will be a lost letter grade.
    2 CHA, 1 WIS

Milythael reflected on how far he had come in the last weeks. Already the signs of his work were clearly evident. Though he was still plagued by dark demons, he was not alone, and the mounting numbers of the demonic dead were slowly turning the tide. In the coming weeks, Mily planned to seize the joy in life. No longer a corpulent mass of seething disgust, he would revel and enjoy. Life is for living, and live he would.

Edited by milythael
Added Stats and Criteria

1. Fight fear.
    Every week, attempt a skill or workout that scares me.
    Make videos whenever possible.

WOW. Kickass. I let fear stop me from doing a lot I'd like to do and it's something that weighs heavily on my heart. I will be eagerly cheering you on!

• Focus on my career.
    Each week, spend 20 hours working on my second job, and send out at least one application to replace my first job.

Each weekday from 5 pm to 7 pm, I will work on my second job. I am thinking about also working from 6 am to 11 am each day on the weekends, but this will be subject to review.

These goals are great!!

I love the "revel in my body" and "care" for it goals, and the "fight fear" is badass! Woo!

Thank you.

WOW. Kickass. I let fear stop me from doing a lot I'd like to do and it's something that weighs heavily on my heart. I will be eagerly cheering you on!

I've let fear limit my potential for far too long. It is time to stop.

This week, I will fight fear by learning the gymnastics pull over.

One of my goals is to fight fear too, so I'll be watching and cheering you on. Gymnastic pull over..ok just the name seems intimidating and I don't even know what is is.

It turns out pull overs and pull ups use the same muscles. It is hard to do pull ups when you can't hold yourself to the bar anymore. I'm told the key to these is to smell the bar. Throwing your head back and down makes it nearly impossible.

Instead of half pistols, I've been working on pistols to a platform. I try to do touch and goes, but I bottom out in these a lot. First sign you got a good leg workout, you need three rest breaks to get up the stairs to your third story apartment.

I was doing a little catch up work because I didn't exercise the latter half of last week. I also wanted to experiment with putting some of these exercises together. I only got two sets of everything instead of my usual three, but the way my body is screaming right now, I think the change up had impact. I can do hanging leg raises, but L sits are just barely out of reach without a little extra elevation. (I can do 2 seconds on my fists, but can barely get off the ground on my hands.)

Ever since Steve's blog post about the Batman workout, I've wanted to work on back levers. German hangs are starting to show up every time I workout at the playground. Seeing it on video, I realize how very far I have to go to even do a real skin the cat.

Look at all that hair, and those lovely dirty feet. I can't remember the last time I wore shoes when I worked out. I even walk to and from work barefoot when the ground isn't hot and I remember. Shoes make my feet hurt, but walking barefoot makes the pain go away.

I did the Century Push in the morning (18, 22, 16, 16, 27, with 60 seconds rest between the first sets and 300 seconds rest before the last set). I also popped a button off my shirt 2 reps into the first set. Too much hulk.

In the evening I did the following:

Pull overs - 6 attempted, 1 succeeded. This was a lot like negatives of the top of the pull up.

Pull up - 90% with long negative

Chin up - 50% with long negative

Kipping pull up - 2, one with slightly longer negative

Half pistols - 5 each leg

Hanging leg raises - 5 slow and in control

Pull up - 1 with slight kip and a bit of negative control

Chin up - 1 with kip and less negative control

Kipping pull up - 2 barely any negative control

Half pistols - 4 each leg

Hanging leg raises - 5 slow

German hang - 3 with slight skin the cats

Lots of rest and copious building materials are called for.

I love that you appreciate the whole body wellness in goal 3. So important! Im excited to watch you grow, friend!

I'm having a hard time imagining a challenge where I don't focus on diet and rest. You can't improve without giving the body what it needs for building or without giving your body the time to rebuild.

One of my goals is to fight fear too, so I'll be watching and cheering you on. Gymnastic pull over..ok just the name seems intimidating and I don't even know what is is.

Your goals are awesome. I loved your story too. Congrats on the NerdFitiversary. If I can figure out how to do it better, I'll try to write up how I learned the pull over. I think my first attempts were really bad.

Loving the goals and the videos Mil. Keep up the great stuff, I enjoy chasing a moving target.

Thanks. I intend to keep moving as fast as possible.

Loving this thread and your general attitude! You're really on the right track towards leveling up your life!

P.S. You're doing a better pistol squat then me! :(

Thank you. And where are the videos of your pistols? The internet wants to see.

These are some excellent goals! I really like how focused you are on personal betterment. That's huge and impressive. You are so freaking awesome.

Thank you very much.

LOVE these goals, and really like your attitude -- the goals are a means to an end (enjoying life), not the end in itself. Thanks for the reminder!

Revel: The gymnastics gym next to my office has started their adult gymnastics class again. One hour from 7:30pm to 8:30pm on Thursday evenings for $8. Making it to that will count for this week's revel. Otherwise, I think I will climb some things at the playground just because I can.

Care:

Monday - (9/10) Not enough focus on eating. Not so much eating bad, as just not doing it sometimes.

Tuesday - (9/10) It was a rough day emotionally. I did sleep almost 8 hours (4 + 4) though, so that is a plus.

Wednesday - skipped breakfast and a shower because I woke so late. Big lunch of six eggs with salsa and cheese.

I can see why a pullover is a scary thing to attempt, but you did a great start. If I can find someplace to try it out, that may be something for me to attempt. I have a pull up bar, but its hooked over a doorframe.

Great job on the pistols, you earned those DOMS.

Hoory on getting that pull over right away! Awesome goals!!

Thanks. I have a lot of learning to do on this one.

LOVE these goals, and really like your attitude -- the goals are a means to an end (enjoying life), not the end in itself. Thanks for the reminder!

No problem. It is easy to lose site of forest for the trees.

It took me way to long to get to this. My apologies my good friend!

Anyway, inspiring. Like... seriously. This is really original and very much who you are. :)

Thank you very much, Loren. That means a lot coming from you.

If I can find someplace to try it out, that may be something for me to attempt.

It is fun. I hope you can find someplace.