• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

guest439437484421

Reemergence

Week 3, 10/5-10/21

Fast on Monday: skipping this week's monday fast. Skipped breakfast most of last week, which seems to work just fine because i seem to not actually get hungry until around 11 to noon. Ate this mornign because i was actually hungry.

Workout:

Monday: done!

Wednesday: done!

Saturday: skipped, went out of town. I did do A LOT of walking,b ut no fomral workout.

Edited by thirster42

Wondered on over to say hello and read your short story teaser! I too would love to read the rest! I am a sucker for short stories. The reflection has me really curious. :)

I have a question, what is the intermittent fasting meant to help with? Occasionally I skip a meal because I am too busy to eat, when that happens I am so low on energy by the end of the day that I can barely function... so I can't imagine doing it on purpose. I am very interested to find out what it helps with. :)

Wondered on over to say hello and read your short story teaser! I too would love to read the rest! I am a sucker for short stories. The reflection has me really curious. :)

I have a question, what is the intermittent fasting meant to help with? Occasionally I skip a meal because I am too busy to eat, when that happens I am so low on energy by the end of the day that I can barely function... so I can't imagine doing it on purpose. I am very interested to find out what it helps with. :)

There are several different reasons for intermittant fasting. The first one is that by having a fasting period you force your body to use the energy stores in your body rather than food that you've eaten during that fasted time. Another reason, and the main reason I am playing with it, is that fasting in the morning is supposedly better for you than eating breakfast right after you get up.

http://stronglifts.com/7-reasons-why-you-should-not-eat-breakfast/

And thank you for reading my short story, or at least the teaser!

So... I didn't htink about this at the time, but I am going out ofo town with my girlfriend this weekend, and I won't have access to a gym to do my workout. I am not skippingmy workout, but I won't be able to do it. I'm thinking I'm ok with this one instance, since i will specifically be out of down that day. I will see what opportunities I have to get either body weight exercise or cario or something in though.

If you can find time for it, moving the workout to Friday shouldn't throw off your schedule. Unless your weekend trip is starting Friday, in which case have a good time!

If you can find time for it, moving the workout to Friday shouldn't throw off your schedule. Unless your weekend trip is starting Friday, in which case have a good time!

heh, yeah we're taking out right after work friday, so no dice there. thanks for the input though.

There are several different reasons for intermittant fasting. The first one is that by having a fasting period you force your body to use the energy stores in your body rather than food that you've eaten during that fasted time. Another reason, and the main reason I am playing with it, is that fasting in the morning is supposedly better for you than eating breakfast right after you get up.

http://stronglifts.com/7-reasons-why-you-should-not-eat-breakfast/

And thank you for reading my short story, or at least the teaser!

I am glad I wondered on over to take a look at the Warriors area. "Intermittent fasting", thats what I learned new today. Laura also shared a link to a different site. Will give me some food for thought. Pun not intended but still funny. :D

Having grown up in a 3rd world country at war and having faced periods when food was hard to come by, I am not really game on any kind of fasting. Its all about balance for me... not too much, not too little.

I find its really interesting to see how we are all working towards being fit and have such different approaches (both in exercise and eating habits). Currently I am working on eating better breakfasts and earlier in the day. So almost the complete opposite!

Variety sure is the spice of life. :D

I am glad I wondered on over to take a look at the Warriors area. "Intermittent fasting", thats what I learned new today. Laura also shared a link to a different site. Will give me some food for thought. Pun not intended but still funny. :D

Having grown up in a 3rd world country at war and having faced periods when food was hard to come by, I am not really game on any kind of fasting. Its all about balance for me... not too much, not too little.

I find its really interesting to see how we are all working towards being fit and have such different approaches (both in exercise and eating habits). Currently I am working on eating better breakfasts and earlier in the day. So almost the complete opposite!

Variety sure is the spice of life. :D

Yeah, it goes against conventional wisdom, but even Steve has told us that ceoncentional wisdom doesn't know best. We're better off finding out what works the best for each one of us.

Its funny and interesting that intermittent fasting seems to be one of the current "buzz" words around. In my country, my mother always did what we basically now call intermittent fasting for religious reasons, drinks lots and lots of tea and milk and walks a lot. She is (touch wood) fine and very healthy.

Yeah, it goes against conventional wisdom, but even Steve has told us that ceoncentional wisdom doesn't know best. We're better off finding out what works the best for each one of us.

It really depends whose conventional wisdom... In many eastern cultures its common practice to have periods of fasting. Even in the West we have examples of it, take lent for example. Not quite the same but still another form of fasting.

I was completely unaware that it would be something used as part of a muscle building regime.

On the other hand it makes some logic sense, our caveman ancestors certainly didnt have pantries and fridges around to make themselves a nice breakfast first thing in the morning. :D

Exploring what works best for us, is what we are all doing!

Week 5, 10/22-10/28
Fast on Monday: done!

*Growl* says my tummy just from reading this. Well done! I know it was your intention to do the fast on Monday. So great job.
:D

*Growl* says my tummy just from reading this. Well done! I know it was your intention to do the fast on Monday. So great job. :D

Heh, it's actually not that bad. I don't get hungry until 11-noon, which tells me that my breakfast meals are probably more habbit than necessity.

We humans be creatures of habit. ;)

Just noticed the quote in your signature and I happened to have read a blog post by Henry Rollins that is where I think that quote comes from earlier tonight (iron and soul), very inspirational. I am really looking forward to getting my fitness room intro tomorrow so I can get started with some weight training - they have no free weights, so just machines... for me thats a good enough place to start, combined with the BBWWO will be more than enough. :)

We humans be creatures of habit. ;)

Just noticed the quote in your signature and I happened to have read a blog post by Henry Rollins that is where I think that quote comes from earlier tonight (iron and soul), very inspirational. I am really looking forward to getting my fitness room intro tomorrow so I can get started with some weight training - they have no free weights, so just machines... for me thats a good enough place to start, combined with the BBWWO will be more than enough. :)

Yeah, it's a great piece. I've read through it 2-3 times now.

As for the weightlifting, you really won't see much gains after you plateau on the machines (i've read quite a few stories about that happening). The muscles they isolate and work are just too small to really get a good workout in order to make them grow.

*pulls out warrior recruitment pamplets*

If you ever want to get serious about strength gains, strong lifts and starting strength (highly recommend the book!) are a great place to start. I'm really enjoying following Strong lifts.

Thanks for the book recommendation, I am writing it down for when I am ready to take strength training more seriously.

I am already looking out for a good place with free weights. Also hoping that by doing the body weight workouts I will balance out the machines. This fitness room is an interim solution to get me through the next few months, it should provide enough to keep me going over winter.

My focus will most likely be running and tai-chi. Balanced out with strength training and yoga. I see a good chance that I may come over to the Warriors for a challenge or 2 sometime in the future - probably not well into 2013. Lets face it, where I am at at the moment, pretty much anything I lift in my daily life is too heavy for me and I can sure use being stronger. :D

Get writing on your story!!! Have you ever heard of NaNoWriMo? Its an interesting experience. Writing 50k words during the month of November. I did it a couple of times... quite challenging.

Thanks for the book recommendation, I am writing it down for when I am ready to take strength training more seriously.

I am already looking out for a good place with free weights. Also hoping that by doing the body weight workouts I will balance out the machines. This fitness room is an interim solution to get me through the next few months, it should provide enough to keep me going over winter.

My focus will most likely be running and tai-chi. Balanced out with strength training and yoga. I see a good chance that I may come over to the Warriors for a challenge or 2 sometime in the future - probably not well into 2013. Lets face it, where I am at at the moment, pretty much anything I lift in my daily life is too heavy for me and I can sure use being stronger. :D

Get writing on your story!!! Have you ever heard of NaNoWriMo? Its an interesting experience. Writing 50k words during the month of November. I did it a couple of times... quite challenging.

No problem!

I hope you’re able to find a good place. If I end up moving to Columbia paying the $70 severance fee is gonna suck (won’t be an issue come next august, but that’s a while away…).

Oooh, tai chi! Which version? Full on tai chi, or one of the less martial arts version? We had an instructor here and I took classes for a little while, it was more of a “yoga” version than the martial arts version. It was pretty awesome.

Yup, I’ve heard of Nanowrimo. I was considering trying this year, but I then stalled on my short story, and I decided I wanted to get that done (and maybe a few more writings) before attempting a novel. I only just got back into writing so doing a novel is pretty intimidating. I did start a document with some details on the story I came up with. My writing support group is those in chat at writers.stackexchange.com

If you have your novels up anywhere, I’d love to read them!

Moving to Columbia, that would be a real nice experience!

Full on tai chi. The school I used to go to showed as the self defense application as well as the movement within the form. It was Yang style long form. The next step would have been to start with push hands or sword. I have to confess I wasn't really into the contact part of it at the time. Being small it was pretty overwhelming practicing with just about anyone else in the class. When I start up again I will be focusing on learning the form again. Then will need to find an appropriate school, there are a few around here but not many offer the real deal... I am not in it for the pretty dance side of things (although that is fun too).

Could what you have done have been more Qigong than Tai Chi? When I first started (in another school) we did a lot of Qigong exercises in preparation for tai chi, then eventually progressed through the Beijing 12 and 24 forms, then came Sword 32 form and so on, eventually Wu Shu was the highest that school got to, I attended a competition once and it was pretty amazing. There really is a huge difference between schools... some are really not very good others are great. Either way tai chi is often underestimated and thought of as something for the elderly. ;)

I havent written since 2004. Its great that you asked about my writing, I thought I had lost it all in one of the computer crashes we had. Turns out some of it is still there (in the backup of a backup of a backup), its not much though - a few stories are lost and a novel too. What I have written needs some pretty serious re-drafting and editing. The novel as far as I can tell from reading the first pages is complete rubbish (the concept is still good and if I ever get the skills needed to do it justice I may have another go). I am not comfortable with sharing the novel... but I just posted in my blog one very short story, its kind of childish but I like it, its part of a series of 4 (sadly the 4th is not finished and I have no idea where I was going with it). The one I posted is written from a different point of view from the other 3, but all of them take place in the same location and share some of the same characters. Sending you a link to it in a PM. :)

Edited by Chanda