• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

PrincessHeather

PrincessHeather Just Keeps Swimming

Blah. Is there any area of your life that you could make more fun and interesting? It always sucks to have things that you're worrying about that you don't really have much or any control over fixing.
I'm sorry to hear about your parents' marriage and your brother causing stress, which I'm sure also carries over to you. That's no good.

You've been talking about base changes. I do't have a lot of friends in the military, but those who do generally know when their changes are coming, or they request them. Does he have a change coming and you're just waiting? Or can he request it? Or has he already made the request? I feel a little restless, too, so I've been trying to take on small projects. Like making my Halloween costume. No reason really to sew it, but I thought, "What the heck?" If it's an epic fail, I can always sub something else at the last minute. I also admittedly spend a lot of time on Netflix, but try to do it while I'm doign other stuff (like cleaning, cooking, organizing, etc.). Of course, sometimes "other stuff" means wallowing in the pity of my own life. ?ui=2&ik=139b3882b3&view=att&th=13a8a6ab58550d79&attid=0.1&disp=emb&zw&atsh=1I figure it's better to watch TV than to drink myself into a stupor.

I've also been doing some decorating - but I know that's not realistic for a temporary house. But I've also done some stuff like mounting a large picture on a canvass. It's definitely something you have to spend some time on to perfect. So things like that that aren't hard, but are a lot of trial and error are fun and relaxing for me.

Pinterest is mostly evil, but I have a lot of friends who find fun crafts to work on there. Like holiday-related stuff (like cards, or decorations). And lots of clothes upcycling (is that what it's called?). I'm not hugely active on Pinterest, but that's an idea for a little hobby that's not too consuming. I know you're in school, but also know you also need a break.

I know *in my head* that I can't control what's going on, especially since I'm not even there! But of course I can't help but worry, and that always makes me anxious about my own relationship (which is unfair) and it just sort of spirals. And my brother, he's a rather entitled little brat, and he's currently being reckless with a vehicle that is in my parents' name and on their insurance... so I'm pretty annoyed with him.

Base Changes: Essentially, the process is this: A list is published quarterly of bases with projected openings broken down by rank and job field. After reviewing that list, a service member can update their list of base preferences to places from the list that they are interested in. That is more or less volunteering for those assignments, but its not a request (they don't move people just cause those people want to). Within a month or two of that list, people might start getting orders, usually if you haven't heard by 2 months, you're not getting an assignment that cycle, so you start over when a new list comes out. A lot factors into who they chose for a given slot, including the amount of time at the current base and time in current rank (seniority). We've been here not for two years, which is the minimum for taking an overseas assignment, so our chances improve with each cycle. A new list is going to be out in November sometime, so in theory we would know by early next year, and this would be our 3rd cycle of waiting. I think part of the issue is that I was not at all interested in coming here in the first place, and I've been trying to make the most of it by checking out local stuff (canyons, parks, hiking, caves, etc). Well, I have one more big thing to see (The Badlands), and that's it. As far as I am concerned, after that I'll be "done" with SD.

I always feel a bit stifled with decorating and crafting kinds of things, since I do know that at some point I will have to pack it all up and transport it sometime. I could though, continue to work on photo books and photo prints and framing projects. I don't really decorate with too much aside from pictures. I'd really like to redecorate our bedroom, but the biggest thing I want to do is get a new mattress and a bed frame which is pricey. I do have a project in our front yard that I really want to finish up before the weather stayed consistently cruddy... just removing these ugly lava rocks from the planters and adding new dirt so it’s well prepped for either do grass or flowers next spring (if we're still here). I'm not on pinterest, though I have bookmarked a few things my friends have pinned that show up on facebook newsfeed... which I sort of think is funny, since the whole pinning thing is meant to eliminate the need to bookmark me thinks. I would love to do clothes upcycling (I had to look it up!) but no way my sewing skills are up to that. I do have a ridiculous queue on Netflix (disc and instant) that I should try to make a dent in sometime.

I really hate the feeling of being a complainer. My life is good, I'm alive and pretty healthy and I can pay my bills. I shouldn't be unhappy, but I sort of am, and I hate that.

So, update on moving: the new list of available bases came out a little early, so my husband updated his base list to Ramstien, Germany, and Lajes Air Field in the Azores (little island in the middle of the Atlantic). I'm even more (stupidly) hopeful about getting to Ramstien, since we have friends who are moving there in January from our last base in Colorado. I would actually have friends! I've realized over the past couple days that not having anyone here beside my husband that I actually want to spend time with, is part of what is taking such a toll on me mentally. I've not met anyone here in 2 years that I would want to grab coffee with or go to a movie... I'm not good at faking it either, I will eventually say something sarcastic that they won't appreciate. I like classic and Disney films, I like fitness, I eat (mostly) paleo, I like ska music, so I guess it's just hard finding people with common interests. My best friend and my husbands best friends called me from Disneyland Monday night, and I burst into tears the minute I got off the phone with them. I miss being around people who understand me and love me unconditionally.

WORKOUT 10/24

Warmup: 1 mile jog, non stop.

Squats

1x10x45

1x5x65

1x5x85

1x5x105

Leg Press

1x10x80

1x5x120

1x5x180

1x3x220

1x3x260

1x1x280

Bench

1x10x35 (OHP)

1x5x45

2x5x55

2x5x60

Not going to hit my running goal, but at least I'm still capable of running a mile. I've not done any running really at all towards the goal, and really, I need to probably shelve it this challenge. For squats, still making sure I'm focusing on form and paying attention for anything feeling wonky after my chiropractic appointments. Felt great, but didn't feel ready to push the weight up any higher. The only reason I did the leg press is that for some reasont he gym was super crazy crowded (Does snow make people want to workout?) and the room with bumper plates had a yoga class, and all the benches were being used so I needed something to pass the time, so I figured I'd test my max. Same with the one set of OHP, wanted to start my bench warm up and was still waiting. Bench felt great, if I focus on it, I might just barely make my goal on that. Or at least make progress.

Now I'm off to research Disneyland Paris, so I can be extra depressed when we don't get an assignment to Germany :(

I like classic and Disney films, I like fitness, I eat (mostly) paleo, I like ska music, so I guess it's just hard finding people with common interests.

*Shrug* you seem pretty cool to me. :)

Sorry you haven't had much luck finding people to hang out with - here's hoping you get that assignment in Germany!

I like all of those things, but I hear ya. I don't know a lot of people IRL who also do. Internet friends, FTW!

I feel the same way about crafting and such because we live in an apartment. It's not where we'll be for the long haul so I don't want to invest much time in it. But I feel better when I do little things that make it more home-y.

While life is good it's okay to sometimes feel blah. We all do. And we all need to vent. So, no worries. But I hope you get Germany!

*Shrug* you seem pretty cool to me. :)Sorry you haven't had much luck finding people to hang out with - here's hoping you get that assignment in Germany!
I like all of those things, but I hear ya. I don't know a lot of people IRL who also do. Internet friends, FTW! I feel the same way about crafting and such because we live in an apartment. It's not where we'll be for the long haul so I don't want to invest much time in it. But I feel better when I do little things that make it more home-y. While life is good it's okay to sometimes feel blah. We all do. And we all need to vent. So, no worries. But I hope you get Germany!
Thanks guys! I'm feeling better. Honestly, I think I just need some time to get away from here for a bit. Which, might hopefully happen with work in the next two weeks. I'm technically part of an HR team that covers the stores in South Dakota, Idaho, and Utah. We have a brand new team member in Idaho, and they are trying to get approval for me to go there to train her for a week. That would be amazing. I've never been to that base, but there are actually quite a few people in my husbands family who live about a half hour or so away in Boise, so I'd be able to at least see some of them for dinner or something. And I'm still hoping to hear if I am going to be picked up to do the deployment for work too. It's been a soul-searching sort of week for me, with a loss of feeling lost and restless. I am used to moving around a lot, I did throughout my whole childhood and even through college. I like having new surroundings, and I'm ready for that again now. I really hope my husband gets the Germany assignment, I'd be able to easily travel all over the place by train. And, maybe most important for my own sanity, 2.5 hours to Disneyland Paris by train from the base at Ramstein!

WORKOUT 10/27

Warmup: 10 minutes/1 mile elliptical

Deadlift

1x8x65

1x8x85

1x8x105

1x8x115

Bulgarian Split Squat

1x8x40

2x6x60

Underhand Lat Pulldown

1x8x55

1x8x70

1x8x80

Dumbbell Cuban snatch

2x8x8

1x8x10 (PR... a silly one, but still :) )

Bench

1x10x45

1x5x55

1x5x60

2x5x65 (Pretty sure that's a PR!)

WEEK FIVE RECAP

Fitness/Diet Goals:

•Running: Continued…: I did one run of 1 mile, and my IT bands were painfully sore for 2 days. No bueno.

•Bench Like a Boss : Up to 65 pounds working weight!

•Slay the Soul Crushing Stress Demon: 2/2 hours of "me time" (Watching documentaries on Jonestown and Salem With Trials)

Life Goal:

•Grad School Focus: 10/8 hours of studying completed. Major paper completed, all diuscussion boards completed.

Dumbbell Cuban snatch

2x8x8

1x8x10 (PR... a silly one, but still :) )

Bench

1x10x45

1x5x55

1x5x60

2x5x65 (Pretty sure that's a PR!)

Hey, moving up in weight on those Cuban Snatches is a big deal; I remember those suckers being hard.

Congrats on the bench PR!

WEEK FIVE RECAP

Fitness/Diet Goals:

•Running: Continued…: I did one run of 1 mile, and my IT bands were painfully sore for 2 days. No bueno.

•Bench Like a Boss : Up to 65 pounds working weight!

•Slay the Soul Crushing Stress Demon: 2/2 hours of "me time" (Watching documentaries on Jonestown and Salem With Trials)

Life Goal:

•Grad School Focus: 10/8 hours of studying completed. Major paper completed, all diuscussion boards completed.

Nice job all around!

By the way, have you seen these? I saw them floating around the interwebs and thought of you.

Hey, moving up in weight on those Cuban Snatches is a big deal; I remember those suckers being hard.

Congrats on the bench PR!

The snatches didn't feel tough anymore at 8 lbs, but at 10 they were just on this side of feasible.

Nice job all around!

By the way, have you seen these? I saw them floating around the interwebs and thought of you.

No, I hadn't seen that!!! That is awesome!!! The Bambi and Sleeping Beauty ones are my favorites.

Fall Frenzy Challenge: Above and Beyond: So for the last part of the Fall Frenzy, I think I am going to focus on my running. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be hitting that 5k running goal, but I can certainly get myself back to working on it. So I think I'm going to shoot for 3 miles run this week, compared to the pidly 1 mile I've managed the weeks I've even bothered to try. I need to get my endurance up, so small steps toward that would be a major improvement. Hold me to this folks. I don't like running, but I want to like running. I have dreams of doing the DisneyWorld Princess Half Marathon someday :D

In other news, we have added one additional location to our list of possible base assignments: Hawaii! My husband actually emailed me to say "Would you be okay with that?" YES!!! I have known others who didn't like it there, but they didn't take the time to travel to islands other than where they were stationed and spent most of thier time with their gf at home. Not me, I will be hiking and snorkeling and taking pictures and maybe learn to surf or something. I would love to be somewhere where I am not worried about ice on the road.

Also, I just placed an order for these... picking up today in town... so excited!

Haven't lifted yet this week, but I did completely clean out our garage and make space for a freezer chest. We just placed an order for a quarter beef from a ranch that grazes their cattle, so we'll have grass fed beef for like 6 months!

Yesterday after work, I went for a run on the track, and did about an 11 minute mile. Felt pretty good, not great, but I managed to keep going and didn't have any pain in my knees, IT bands, or my arches (or lack thereof, I have crazy flat feet) like had been happening the last time I tried to run. And still no pain today, so yay! I also attended the Zumba class I used to go to, just for fun. So it was a very cardio type of day. Today I'm taking the day off to attend to the trick or treaters and watch Dracula, tomorrow will definitely be a lifting day.

Ooooh! A cow! I always want to buy a quarter cow, but I'm not even sure where to do such things here. I can't even find grass-fed beef in any of the stores (including butcher shops). What? ANyway, yay!!

Also, if you go to Germany, I'm planning a trip to see my friend sometime next year. I know there's more than one base in Germany (or so I've been told) but her husband (Air Force) is stationed there. And they think this will be their last year. But they love it. They travel all the time, and have seen tons of stuff.

Anyway, my point is, I can totally meet you in real life when I go and you're stationed there! :)

Kelly, that would be so cool!! There are I like maybe like 5 different bases, but the biggest is the one where we would go, so odds would be pretty good you were

visiting the same one!

Beef Possibility?: http://www.janzenfamilyfarms.com/beef.html

Oh, awesome! I was looking IN the city. Duh, farmers don't farm IN town!

So, $6 per pound. I wonder how many pounds 1/4 or 1/8 of a cow is. It's the same price, so I should probably do 1/8. I'll have to chck this out (then clean out my deep freezer). I'm thisclose to buying a smoker, so this would be perfect together! Thanks for doing my research for me. I feel stupid I never really looked around!

Also, I've been to that farmer's market and have nver seen this vendor. But the farmer's market here is a little pushy for me (not everyone, but enough that it makes me less excited to go). It's almost like a bunch of mall kiosks. They pressure you to come up to their booth then really pressure you to buy. So sometimes it's hard to see what people are offering. I've also heard a lot of feedback that "organic" stuff isn't actually organic. And cage free eggs are bought at the local grocery store and resold for a huge margin. Sigh. Anyway, they aren't all that way, but I tend to keep a wide berth and hope no one talks to me. And then get a little finicky when I start to buy something and think, "What if this just came from Dillons or Walmart? Maybe I should jsut buy there." It sucks some of the vendors' sales approach and greed/dishonesty are a turnoff for a lot of people. I would love to walk around, ask questions, come up to a booth without feeling obligated to buy (some make you feel like if you ask a question you OWE them) and get to know some of the vendors!

I wonder how many pounds 1/4 or 1/8 of a cow is. It's the same price, so I should probably do 1/8. I'll have to chck this out (then clean out my deep freezer). I'm thisclose to buying a smoker, so this would be perfect together! Thanks for doing my research for me. I feel stupid I never really looked around!

A 1/4 of a cow is somewhere between 140-175 lbs hanging weight, I think.

A 1/4 of a cow is somewhere between 140-175 lbs hanging weight, I think.

The 1/4 I ordered should be around 100 lbs final weight (as in, the weight of meat given to me to eat). And, the ranch I'm buying from actually gives a variety of cuts from the front AND back of the cow (so not a literal quarter), so there's a lot of different types of things I'll get. I should hear today or tomorrow to schedule a pick up!

Kelly, no problem on the research! I figured there had to be at least one place near you. Bummer about the state of your farmer's market though, it should not have that pushy vibe at all.

I would email/call that farm and ask questions, you could probably even visit if you wanted. I haven't done that here, but I have had a really good experience so far with all the local places that do pasturing. Maybe see if you can purchase just a few pounds of something and try it. My husband noticed a huge difference in the grass fed beef, and was suddenly on board where before he thought it was a waste of money. You should be able to taste a difference, and if you don't, there might be something to that "maybe they bought it at Walmart" thing. It's sort of like an investment, a big up front cost that is going to feed you for months, so make sure you're happy with the product!

So if I got 1/8th, that would be $300. Not bad! I feel like I spend that on meet in 3 months! I'm not great at buying stuff on sale. I try to. But I also am like, "Oh, and now I'm craving THIS." :) But I do buy a lot of beef. And if I get a smoker, even better!

Alright, I'm going to send an email asking about 1/8th.

I've never bought the meat at the farmer's market (I didn't even realize there was any there). The veggies and fruit I've bought have all been good, organic or not. So I'm not complaining. It was the eggs that someone said were purchased at Dillons after I bought them and was all amped they were real cage free, pastured chickens. Then someone said, 'You realize half those people just buy and resell, right?" How's that legal? But Iguess, how can a farmer's market regulate/control that?

Anyway, I still go to the farmer's market. And should go more (it's only open spring and summer, so it's easy to lose the habit).

Edit: You should post a picture of how much meat it is. A friend of mine told me her parents get a quarter and it all fits in the fridge they ahve in their basement. So you know how a fridge the top 1/4 is the freezer? All in there. I wonder if that's true. And if so, then I'll have plenty of room in my deep freeze!

WORK RANT: Okay, so for starters, SD looks like freaking Silent Hill, its so foggy and visibility is minimal...tis creepy. Second, I've been here an hour and I'm already annoyed with the helpless management here. ALL the forms our company uses, even the most obscure, are all on our intranet network, and there is a search function, so WHY am I constantly asked where to find them, and if I can "prepare" them for people? They're all PDFs, you can type right onto them, and if it's only your personal info that it asks for, you really shouldn't need my help. Also, people asking for accomodations due to medical conditions ("I need to sit, can't stand or walk") and then being upset when the accomodation isn't fun ("I don't want to do that"). Be happy that you have a job that is going to provide an alternative so you can keep working at all! Grrrrr.... Also, way jealous of one of our managers, who just heard that they are being promoted and transferred to a store in ENGLAND. AND, the Christmas music has started on the in house radio, which wouldn't be as much of a problem except that they only have a few things on endless loop. There's probably millions of versions of Christmas songs, but sure, 10 bland reditions is enough variety. Ugh.

I'm just grumpy today, it's Friday and I want to go to the gym! Which I will after work!

Ugh. That sucks!! I'm sorry people are that way. No one's ever happy around my work, either. And people are just as lazy. And the newest trend is, "Don't explain the details to anyone because they won't get it, anyway." It blows my mind. Hang in there, it'll get better. I tried to find a good clip from Idiocracy to post on here, but the movie's funnier if you've seen the whole thing, I think. Anyway, it's about the decline of the world because stupid people are procreating faster than smart people. And everything's dumbed down. No one understands anything anymore, can't do logical thinking (or even basic thinking). They can't form arguments, put together a string of thoughts, or even use the correct words in context. They all use a bunch of big words but use them wrong. And everything's sponsored by Carl's Jr. Haha. If you haven't seen it, you should. I watched it for the first time recently and for some reason it now comforts me. Not because it could be worse, but because it's the way things are going and when people look at me like I'm dumb when really I'm mkaing more sense than them, I can laugh like I'm the main characters in the movie. Specifically, the girl, who just gives everyone an "are you effing kidding me?" looks all the time. Haha. That's how I feel like I look at people now. :) Doesn't really make sense it comforts me because it'll probably only get worse. But at least I can say stuff like, " Im Secretary of State, brought to you by Carls Jr." Or, " Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes." Or, "Ah like muhney (I like money)." And for whatever reason, the voices inside my head laugh, and I'm happy.

If you haven't seen the movie, you should watch it. Then we can joke about it when we complain about our jobs! Or if you hate it, then we'll pretend this never happened.

But if you explain how the details work, then possibly they may understand why they have to whatever it is they're doing and therefore remember how to do it. I spent like ten minutes explaining in great detail to a new student worker how the phone system worked and why they used X to do one thing with the phone and Y for the other and she says that she thinks she'll actually remember the difference now. (No one can ever remember the difference. Doing things with the phone more complicated than answering it is the thing the students most often get wrong if you ask them to show you how to do something.)