Barbell Squat:

115 lb x 5 reps

155 lb x 5 reps

155 lb x 5 reps

155 lb x 5 reps

155 lb x 5 reps

155 lb x 4 reps

155 lb x 1 reps (FU 4!)

Every set feels like it wipes me out now, and then I go back for more...

Barbell Bench Press:

75 lb x 10 reps

130 lb x 5 reps

130 lb x 5 reps

130 lb x 5 reps

130 lb x 3 reps

130 lb x 3 reps

I should have pushed harder to get the 5 on the last 2 sets, but gravity was in the process of making me her bitch. My shoulder didn't feel as tight, but was still noticeable. I did some static hanging (think pull up without the "pull" or "up" part) and it felt a little better.

Bent Over Barbell Row:

120 lb x 5 reps (+5 unofficial)

110 lb x 5 reps

110 lb x 5 reps

110 lb x 5 reps

110 lb x 5 reps

120 was way too heavy, so I dropped it down to 110. I might drop it down a bit (85-105) and try to do 4-5x10s to really lock in the form some more and then work my way up again. Right now I do these with the same grip width as my bench press. Should I be going for a wider grip?

Saturday Jumps (@ level 1): 100 + 100 and logged. 500 total, met the goal so +1 workout!

Saturday Meal: Made that coconut spinach curried shrimp soup, it was everything I dreamed and more. Now I have to find some red curry paste for the next time!

Week 3 review:

Bats:

Body weight has been hovering around 176 all week, so for squats I'm at 155/176 or 88%.

Total gains are currently +60/100 or +75/125. I think I'll add in the rows and officially make the goal 125 (25 per exercise, distributed). With the slow gains over the last couple of weeks and current plans to deload at least 2 exercises, this will really be a challenge to get the last 50 pounds, but I'll give it my best shot.

155/176

75/125

Bugs:

Mon lifting.

Wed lifting.

Sat lifting.

Fall Frenzy challenge.

4/4

Rats:

Wed pork chops.

Sat amazing soup.

2/2

Gold:

Finally finished the first 2 chapters! Still nowhere near complete!

14/181

Chapter essences:

1. Divide labor into smaller/simpler tasks to increase productivity. You get gains from specialization (repetitive task gets better/faster), less time lost to changing tasks (setting up equipment, or just getting in the right mindset), and technology (machines help us get better/faster, or outright do the same job, but we have to discover the procedures first).

2. Chapter 1 is all about making things more efficiently, but ignores the fact that you can't eat nails or pins no matter how many you can make in a day. The hope is that someone else is making more food (farming or cooking) than they could eat in a day, and is willing to trade their food for your goods (nails, pins) or services (cleaning stuff, making them laugh). (Money comes into play in chapter 4.)

Edited by DangerDave
Department of Redundancy Department redundancy retraction

Have you seen the So You Think You Can Bench series? Someone else posted a link to it a while back and I found it really helpful for improving my form.

I have, and I linked to the squat series on the same site earlier in this thread.

The bench series helped my form a bit, and explained a few things fairly well. My only problem with it was that Dave seemed to be pushing very hard for bridging (full arch from legs to shoulders suspended) while everywhere else I turn (Starting Strength, StrongLifts) only emphasize arching the back and planting the feet firmly, but keeping the butt/hips on the bench.

Full bridging doesn't seem like a great idea to me either, though the reminder to push through my legs while keeping things tight has really helped me. And when I do push through my legs, I'm pretty sure my butt stays on the bench anyway, though it's possible that there would be more lifting from tensing the muscles if it was smaller. :)

Lifting updates:

Monday lifts:

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 10 reps

115 lb x 5 reps

160 lb x 5 reps +5

160 lb x 4 reps

160 lb x 3 reps

160 lb x 3 reps

160 lb x 2 reps

Ran out of steam, but not before raising the bar a bit.

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP):

45 lb x 10 reps

75 lb x 5 reps

75 lb x 5 reps

75 lb x 3 reps

Shoulder tightened up starting 4th 75 set

Barbell Deadlift:

135 lb x 8 reps

185 lb x 5 reps

195 lb x 3 reps

I might be overdoing the warmup sets...

Tuesday:

Impromptu arms/back session, read: reorganize the boxes of statement paper in the back room. Between a logo change (move all the old boxes from the back to the front to be used first) and the FedEx guy tossing boxes wherever in no particular order while I was gone (at least he got them in the room this time...), I got to LIFT ALL THE THINGS! ~75 boxes @ ~33lbs each (many moved multiple times, but I don't want to try adding all that up) = 2475 lbs, or a bit over a ton of paper moved in about an hour. I think that's worthy of +1 to workouts for the week.

Wed lifts:

Barbell Bench Press:

45 lb x 15 reps

75 lb x 10 reps

130 lb x 5 reps

130 lb x 5 reps

130 lb x 5 reps

130 lb x 3 reps

130 lb x 3 reps

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 12 reps

95 lb x 10 reps

135 lb x 5 reps

160 lb x 4 reps

160 lb x 2 reps

Bent Over Barbell Row:

45 lb x 10 reps

95 lb x 5 reps

100 lb x 5 reps

105 lb x 5 reps

110 lb x 5 reps

110 lb x 5 reps

Started at the bench because the power rack and half rack were in use. (Somebody was doing box squats by straddling a high bench /wtf, I won't hate on the half rack being used for straight leg DLs) I need to stop starting with the bar as a warmup, it feels like I'm lifting air anymore (except for OHP =x). Squats I think was just overdoing the warmups a bit, less easing required next time, but I think it helped a bit with form. Rows, I'm still trying to get form down, and I'm reasonably happy with the results today. I used a wider stance and slightly wider grip, but I almost feel like I was cheating, bracing my torso against my upper quads. (Possible bad form? I'll look at SS when I get home) The 110s were doing horribly (cleared the knees, but didn't touch the chest, but more importantly my back stayed straight-ish) so I get to start 5x5ing at 105 next time.

Thursday:

Another impromptu arms/back day. FedEx dropped off another 50 boxes of envelopes (48 @ ~11#) while I was out for lunch, and was kind enough to place them in just the right place so we had no access to:

1.) the phone system breakout and terminal

2.) the external network links

3.) the fire alarm terminal

4.) 80% of the room they were in

I got to relocate quite a few of the boxes I had arranged Tuesday to fit all the new boxes into roughly the same space. All those years playing Tetris have payed off! Plus, I got to work out some of my anger issues (something to do with FedEx I'm sure) by throwing boxes around... again!

Weekend updates:

Thurs dinner: More of that coconut spinach shrimp soup. I tried spicing it up a bit more (lime juice, roasted red peppers) and used way more spinach than it called for. The result was a bit grainier (whole 10oz bag of fresh spinach was a bit much, should have used 4-5oz at most) and the additions didn't quite have the desired effect, making it a little tangy without really improving the flavor.

Sat lifts:

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 10 reps

135 lb x 5 reps

160 lb x 3 reps

160 lb x 2 reps

165 lb x 1 reps +5

145 lb x 3 reps

145 lb x 4 reps (after DLs)

Hip flexers were killing me at the top of the lifts, so I felt unsteady and weak. I tried for higher before deloading, and got a rep in at 165 before a set at 145. I came back and tried a set after my other lifts, but still wasn't feeling great.

45 lb x 10 reps

75 lb x 5 reps

75 lb x 5 reps

75 lb x 5 reps

75 lb x 5 reps

75 lb x 5 reps

I did my research, and found that my starting position was terrible on these. I was bracing my elbows against my torso at the start, resulting in some crazy stress on my shoulders. This time I kept much better shoulder form, making the lifts much easier and now I'm ready to rock the heavier stuff.

Barbell Deadlift:

135 lb x 10 reps

185 lb x 5 reps

210 lb x 5 reps +5

I was able to keep great form at all weights, so I'll call that a win!

Sun dinner: More of my pineapple chicken stir fry. I traded out the oranges for some ham (needed to get rid of it, and this turned out great) and added some roasted red pepper (Guess what I bought a jar of to experiment with last week! So far it's not bad, but I'm not sure it's the flavor I'm looking for in some things, or I should buy a better brand instead of the cheapest available.) and garlic.

Week 4 review:

Bats:

Weight as of Saturday (I'm sure it's higher today as that was during a long fasting session.) was 174.8, rounding to 175.

Added 10 pounds to squat and 5 to deadlift this week, putting me up to +95 from starting lifts.

Squat – 135 -> 165 +30

Bench – 115 -> 130 +15

OHP – 75 -> 85 +10

DL – 185 -> 210 +25

Row – 105 -> 120 +15

165/175 or 94% (10 pounds to go!)

95/125 or 76% (30 pounds to go!)

Bugs:

Mon lifting

Tues box throwing (+1)

Wed lifting

Thurs box throwing (+0.5)

Sat lifting

4.5/4

Rats:

Thurs dinner

Sun dinner

2/2

Gold:

No change.

14/181 or 8%

Mon lifts:

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 10 reps

145 lb x 5 reps

145 lb x 5 reps

145 lb x 5 reps

145 lb x 5 reps

145 lb x 5 reps

160 lb x 3 reps

170 lb x 2 reps +5

175 lb x 1 reps +10

Barbell Bench Press:

125 lb x 7 reps

125 lb x 6 reps

125 lb x 6 reps

125 lb x 5 reps

125 lb x 3 reps

Bent Over Barbell Row:

105 lb x 8 reps

105 lb x 7 reps

105 lb x 7 reps

105 lb x 6 reps

105 lb x 5 reps

Ran out of time or I would have tried adding a bit to bench and row.

Hip flexors were still bugging me a bit on the heavier squats, but once I got into my 3rd set at 145 they shut up (or I blocked the pain better, whatever). If I can make it past the 10th rep or so it beats them into submission, I guess.

Weighed myself this morning expecting to have gone up (burger and pie last night, I hadn't given in to a craving for a while so I cheated to build up the willpower again) and was amazed to see that the scale was down to 173.6, meaning that I've officially met my squat goal! It might only be 1 rep for now, but there's still some time to solidify that, and possibly up it even more.

I still have 20 pounds to go for the total lifts, and I think it's going to come mostly from squats and deadlifts, with a possibility of some in the bench/OHP during week 6.

Long stretch without updates is long. Lots of data incoming.

Wed lifts:

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 10 reps

135 lb x 5 reps

155 lb x 5 reps

155 lb x 5 reps

155 lb x 5 reps

155 lb x 4 reps

155 lb x 3 reps

I jumped back up 10 pounds because of how easy 145 felt. That looks like it was a mistake and I should have gone with 150 instead.

45 lb x 10 reps

80 lb x 5 reps

80 lb x 5 reps

80 lb x 5 reps

80 lb x 3 reps

Shoulder got tight in 4th set of 80, so I couldn't even start 5th set.

Barbell Deadlift:

185 lb x 5 reps

225 lb x 3 reps +15

I was going really long so I cut the deadlifts short a little, but not before kicking the crap out of my previous high.

Friday:

I was out of town to move one of our branches into a new building. I was anticipating this being a workout in itself, but the local high school football team sent a few guys over who did most of the heavy lifting. I did get to carry some computers around, and had to contort into some strange positions (extreme IT yoga?) to get power/network cables removed and reinstalled, so I'm counting that as half of a workout. +0.5 workout

Saturday:

Big day here. Returned from the move and dropped off the company car at work only to realize that my ride home was out of town, so I got to walk home in the snow, on what would have been an identical incline in both directions (sounds so much more intimidating than "flat"), and I'm glad I wasn't barefoot. I'm counting the walk as half a workout, since it was only 1 mile. +0.5 workout

For dinner I broiled some pork chops, marinated in olive oil, rosemary, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. They were delicious. +1 meal

I did a late night lifting session and took my time with it, making sure I went through everything right and then some.

Saturday lifts:

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 5 reps

45 lb x 5 reps

95 lb x 3 reps

135 lb x 3 reps

155 lb x 5 reps

155 lb x 5 reps

155 lb x 5 reps

155 lb x 5 reps

155 lb x 5 reps

165 lb x 3 reps

175 lb x 2 reps

185 lb x 1 reps +10

Tried a new warmup rotation on these, and it didn't seem too bad. The only real problem was I really noticed my hip flexors since I didn't do a 6+ rep set to get them started.

Barbell Bench Press:

45 lb x 5 reps

45 lb x 5 reps

75 lb x 3 reps

105 lb x 3 reps

130 lb x 5 reps

130 lb x 5 reps

130 lb x 5 reps

130 lb x 5 reps

130 lb x 4 reps

I could feel my left shoulder contorting in that last set and didn't want to risk an injury so I stopped short.

Bent Over Barbell Row:

110 lb x 5 reps

110 lb x 5 reps

110 lb x 5 reps

110 lb x 5 reps

110 lb x 5 reps

125 lb x 5 reps

135 lb x 3 reps +15

I did a little more research on these (Thanks YouTube!) and they seemed easier today. I'm betting it was mostly due to the higher starting position than I normally use (bottom safety slot on the power rack since I wasn't using 45s and the half rack was in use, +3-4" or so), so I'll have to try these again at the lower starting point. That doesn't change the fact that it felt good to add that much to the lift.

45 lb x 10 reps

65 lb x 5 reps

75 lb x 5 reps

After more YouTube research, I tried out a narrower grip that seems really good on my shoulders. If I hadn't just gone through a full workout, I wouldn't be surprised if I pumped out some big gains on it, especially with how the rest of the night was going.

Sunday dinner:

I'd been wanting to make this recipe for quite a while, but I ran across it right as I was starting to cut down on carbs so it's been sitting off to the side until I was ready for pasta. I finally decided to make it Sunday night, and served it over some chicken breasts that I had cut into large strips and fried in olive oil with some Italian seasoning. It was great until I ran out of chicken before running out of sauce. I found some other things to eat with it (pirogi and cauliflower!) so the sauce wasn't wasted.

Week 5 Review coming after my lunch lifting session...

Week 5 Review

Bats

Really pushed my 1RM after successful 5x5 squat rounds and kicked this goal in the teeth. Lots of BIG gains this week, +20 on Squat, +15 on DL, +15 on Row.

Weigh in Monday morning (10/29) was 172.2.

Squat – 135 -> 185 +50

Bench – 115 -> 130 +15

OHP – 75 -> 85 +10

DL – 185 -> 225 +40

Row – 105 -> 135 +30

185/173 = 107% Achievement Unlocked: Squat Yourself!

145/125 = 116% Achievement Unlocked: Lift Bigger!

Bugs

Mon lifting +1

Wed lifting +1

Fri moving +0.5

Sat walk +0.5

Sat lifting +1

Total: 4/4

Rats

Sat Pork chops

Sun Chicken with Tomato sauce

Total: 2/2

Gold

Got 2 more chapters knocked out! Unfortunately they were short and the last chapters are the bulk of the text.

Chapter 3: Division of Labor is limited by the local population (size of economy). A farmer/rancher almost has to be a full handyman for everything he or she encounters if he doesn't have knowledgeable neighbors close enough to help out. A city has many people working in different industries, making for much higher specialization in a wider variety of professions.

Chapter 4: Money is helpful. A farmer might not want bread when a baker needs some vegetables, so instead of going through an elaborate series of trades (hello every Japanese style RPG ever, with special mention to Zelda: Link's Awakening and Secret of Evermore) to get the goods exchanged, they can use an intermediary currency to facilitate their trades. 1 cow might be worth 20 chickens, but does the cow seller need 20 chickens and will the cow fit in the freshly empty coop? Money is much easier to manage.

Progress: 25/181 = 14%

Wed Lifts:

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 5 reps

45 lb x 5 reps

95 lb x 5 reps

135 lb x 5 reps

160 lb x 5 reps

160 lb x 5 reps

160 lb x 5 reps

160 lb x 5 reps

160 lb x 5 reps

Blew past the 160 round and it felt great.

Barbell Incline Bench Press:

45 lb x 10 reps

65 lb x 5 reps

85 lb x 5 reps

95 lb x 5 reps

105 lb x 2 reps

Bench was taken, so I went with incline and felt out what a working weight should be. My shoulder decided it didn't want to play anymore at 105.

Bent Over Barbell Row:

115 lb x 5 reps

115 lb x 5 reps

115 lb x 5 reps

115 lb x 5 reps

115 lb x 5 reps

Saturday dinner:

Made some blackened tilapia and buttered zucchini with Italian seasoning. It was great.

Saturday lifts:

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 5 reps

45 lb x 5 reps

95 lb x 5 reps

135 lb x 5 reps

165 lb x 2 reps

165 lb x 2 reps

165 lb x 2 reps

135 lb x 5 reps

135 lb x 2 reps

I just felt weak under the bar. I don't know where my head was, but it was nowhere near the rack I was standing in. I stopped after the 165s and did OHP, went back for the later 135s before doing DL.

45 lb x 10 reps

80 lb x 5 reps

80 lb x 5 reps

80 lb x 5 reps

80 lb x 5 reps

80 lb x 5 reps

Getting these done helped boost the confidence after the terrible squat performance.

Barbell Deadlift:

165 lb x 5 reps

235 lb x 2 reps +10

Not my best lifting, but got a new pr out of it.

Sunday Workout:

Did some light bodyweight work (jumping jacks, pushups, etc) as my 4th workout of the week.

Sunday dinner:

Made the chicken stir fry again. Cooked the chicken in a 3/4 olive 1/4 sesame oil mix with some Szechuan 5 spice, then a chopped onion with some chipotle garlic (I had it lying around, figured I should use it in something), some frozen broccoli + cauliflower, mandarin oranges, and almonds.

Week 6 Review

Bats

Added another 10 pounds to my DL, pushing me even higher above the goal.

Monday morning weigh in was 172.8.

Squat – 135 -> 185 +50

Bench – 115 -> 130 +15

OHP – 75 -> 85 +10

DL – 185 -> 235 +50

Row – 105 -> 135 +30

185/173 = 107% of bodyweight squat goal

155/125 = 124% of total lifting gains goal

Bugs

Mon lifting

Wed lifting

Sat lifting

Sun bodyweight

4/4

Rats

Saturday: Blackened Tilapia

Sunday: Chicken stir-fry

2/2

Gold

Read 2 more chapters, putting me over halfway through by chapter, but far from it by page count. Chapters 10 and 11 are 95 pages together.

44/181 = 24% of The Wealth of Nations Book 1 read

Chapter 5: Looking at the general value of something from the perspective of how much labor went into creating or purchasing said item or service.

Chapter 6: Breaking down prices into their harder to see components. Rent of factory space + wages + materials (can be broken down identically if manufactured at a different plant/company) + transportation costs all factor into the price of an item.

Challenge Overview

Bats

Squat 1.0x bodyweight AND/OR add 125# total to the 5 recorded lifts, whichever comes later. (STR +3 STA +1)

Monday morning weigh in was 172.8.

Squat – 135 -> 185 +50

Bench – 115 -> 130 +15

OHP – 75 -> 85 +10

DL – 185 -> 235 +50

Row – 105 -> 135 +30

185/173 = 107% of bodyweight squat goal

155/125 = 124% of total lifting gains goal

A - All points earned!

Bugs

Get a 4th workout of some sort in each week. (DEX +2 STA +1)

Week 1: Mini-challenge Burpees

Week 2: Yoga

Week 3: Mini-challenge Jump rope

Week 4: Box throwing (aka a ton of paper)

Week 5: Branch move + walk

Week 6: Bodyweight

A - All points earned!

Rats

Cook healthy meals minimum 2x each week. (WIS +1 CON +2 CHA +2)

Week 1: Chicken T*ts, fajitas, pork chops

Week 2: Chicken stir fry, Salmon

Week 3: Pork chops, Coconut spinach shrimp soup

Week 4: Coconut shrimp soup, Chicken stir fry

Week 5: Pork chops, Chicken with tomato sauce

Week 6: Blackened tilapia, Chicken stir fry

A - All points earned!

Gold

Finish reading Wealth of Nations book 1. (WIS +2 CHA +1)

44/181 = 24% of The Wealth of Nations Book 1 read

F - No points earned

OMFG Stats

STR - 3 +3 = 6

DEX - 2 +2 = 4

STA - 2 +2 = 4

CON - 3 +2 = 5

WIS - 3 +1 = 4

CHA - 2 +2 = 4

Nice job on that deadlift!

Haha yeah, that's not a small book... but worth the read!

It's not a long book either, it's just hard to get into. With all examples being ~240 years old some things are a bit dated, even if the underlying principles still apply. The weirdest part about it (Book 1 at least) was that chapter 11 is longer than the first 7 chapters combined. Now watch me finish the book in the next week now that the challenge is over!

Some reflection on the challenge, from the wrap-up thread.

About my experience:

Bats: I knew that this one was going to be mostly a "stick with things and go with it" situation. I was getting a little nervous after multiple deloads on most of the lifts around week 4, but in week 5 I went BeastMode and pulled out all the stops for some crazy PRs. The important thing I learned from this is to keep on going and the gains will come.

Bugs: I feel like I went a little too light on this one, and my procrastination didn't help much at all. I haven't been a very active person for the last few years, and before that I was only mildly active due to job requirements (no elevators on the boat, run 3 miles a year for a grade, etc.) so even these minor additions took some work to get myself started, with more than I'd like starting late Sunday night to get them in before the week ended. The lifting is really what I have enjoyed the most so far of the things I've tried this challenge, and the only way to really lift more often is to branch into split routines (not ideal), so I'm torn on which direction I should go from here. I may go with some light endurance/form lifts on an off day or 2, especially if the GF is serious about wanting to lift more. I'm also tempted to start on a 4 day 5/3/1 routine, but that involves the split again.

Rats: Echo of the Bugs time management/motivation problems. My laziness was really shining for a large chunk of the challenge, with quite a few meals coming at the tail end of the week to sneak them in before the deadline. That being said, almost everything turned out great and I have no fear of cooking, just the time investment of the cooking and cleanup required (before and after). Side bonus: I'm down ~5 pounds from the start of this challenge, even while stuffing my face with these things I made.

Gold: Again, I can blame my time management/prioritization on this goal falling through the cracks. I could blame the language or archaic examples in the book for my slow going and lack of interest, but it's far more a lack of time invested. Overall, I'm just glad I let this one slide instead of the workouts or cooking.

TL;DR: Time management is my kryptonite, but I do have the ability to power through. Now to make the shift from "have to" to "want to" in these situations, there's the real challenge.

Any suggestions/recommendations on the 5/3/1? I'm thinking BBB style 4 days, but I could condense the INDJS into 2 days and then figure something out for the rest. I know I need to work in a lot of shoulder and hip mobility somewhere.