Chairohkey’s “Emergency Temporal Shift!�

chairohkey

Week One Recap

Goal #1

Conditioning – 3 x week (+5 STA, +2 DEX)

Assessment – 100 Burpee Challenge (Aim: > 5 min)

Rolling along. I completed all three sessions, two hill sprints and one ruck. I need to start practicing burpees daily.

Goal #2

Strength – Maintain 95% of current 1RM in main lifts (+2 STR)

Assessment – 1RM Test (Aim: SQ-450, DL-450, BP-330, OHP-235)

So far so good. I just finished the first week of 531 and easily hit all prescribed reps.

Goal #3

Body Comp – Lose 5% BF (+2 CON, +2 CHA)

Assessment – Weight scale and tape test (Aim: BW > 242lbs and -3in waist)

Weighed in at 253lb this morning. I know I didn’t give diet details but I’m basically just trying to clean it up. Less sugar, more meat and veggies.

Goal# 4

Finances – Add $500 to rainy day fund. (+2 WIS)

Assessment – Five new Bejamins under the mattress.

Worried about this one. Our car went into the shop this week and is going to take a sizable chunk out of the fund. I’ll be happy if I can replace it by challenge end.

Oct 2nd

HBBS:

345x3

365x3

385x3

275x10x2

RDL:

225x12x3

I've got two gym stories to share. First while I was finishing up my squats two dudes, early forties, 6'2"ish, and a buck fifty each, started body weight box squatting next to me with horrendous form. After watching a few sets I knew this was going to be good so I kept an eye on them. After that they moved on to over-head box squats w/ the bar. Neither had the mobility or athletic prowess to pull off the move and I cringed for their shoulders. Finally they decided to finish off with box jumps. I had a gut feeling this was going to end bad but I kept my mouth shut. I never offer unsolicited advice in the gym no matter how tempted I may be. Sure enough the first dude went to demonstrate how to do them when on his second jump his foot slipped and he cracked his shin. Next thing I know he's on the floor blood gushing from his leg. He ended up having to go to the hospital and I voluntarily filled out an incident report for the gym.

Second verse same as the first. I was finishing up my RDLs when a PT brought a young lady to the smith machine next to me. First thing out of her mouth was "Are we doing squats, because I like them." The PT's response, "I don't believe in back squats. They're an unnatural movement. I like front squats." He then proceeded to instruct her on smith machine front squats. I had to walk away. This is the same PT I once had to politely ask to shut up because he was giving graphic details of his sexual conquests to a client in the same smith machine while I squatted.

After that they moved on to over-head box squats w/ the bar. Neither had the mobility or athletic prowess to pull off the move and I cringed for their shoulders.

I see this all the time in my gym. OHS must be a popular thing in the PT literature these days, because all of the trainers at my gym have people overhead squatting, but nobody can do it. Everything about the movement looks terrible, but the trainers just don't care.

Second verse same as the first. I was finishing up my RDLs when a PT brought a young lady to the smith machine next to me. First thing out of her mouth was "Are we doing squats, because I like them." The PT's response, "I don't believe in back squats. They're an unnatural movement. I like front squats." He then proceeded to instruct her on smith machine front squats. I had to walk away. This is the same PT I once had to politely ask to shut up because he was giving graphic details of his sexual conquests to a client in the same smith machine while I squatted.

Should have turned to her and said you'd give her better advice for half the price. I've come close to doing that myself but am not currently trim enough for the average person to take me seriously.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I see this all the time in my gym. OHS must be a popular thing in the PT literature these days, because all of the trainers at my gym have people overhead squatting, but nobody can do it. Everything about the movement looks terrible, but the trainers just don't care.

I agree. I see it more and more too. Its such a great lift I just wish more people took the time to study the proper mechanics of lifts instead of just mimicking something they saw in the latest issue of Men's Health.

Should have turned to her and said you'd give her better advice for half the price. I've come close to doing that myself but am not currently trim enough for the average person to take me seriously.

If I took the time to stop and dole out sound advice on form or programming to every lost soul I saw, I'd never get through my workout.

Oct 3rd

Hill Sprints:

12x40yd @ 30% slope / 1 min rest

Increased by two sprints. I’m starting to feel like my body is adapting to the new stimulus.

Oct 5th

DL:

135x5x2

225x5

315x5

345x3

365x3

385x3

HBBS:

135x5x2

225x5

315x10x2

Total= 16,110lbs

I felt beatup this morning. All I could think of is this quote by Wendler.

When I began running hills again I knew for an absolute fact that my lifts were going to take a beating. I’m not an idiot. You don’t run up and down a hill four days a week and expect your lifts to suddenly increase. So once I began my hill running, the first thing I did was lower my training max significantly on my 5/3/1 workout.

I guess its just human nature to think we're the exception and not the rule.

Oct 7th

HBBS:

365x5

385x3

405x3

I was only going to do one a 405, per 531 only hitting prescribed reps, but it felt so light I had to keep going. I easily had five in me.

OHP:

195x5

205x3

215x3

Same deal as squat. 215 just felt too light to only get one.

RDL:

225x12x3

Close-Grip BP:

225x10x3

Two sec pause at the bottom.

Kroc Row:

105x20x2 (20 each side)

Bro Hammer Curlz:

30x20

40x20

50x20

I was going to calculate the total tonnage and add it to the challenge but then I started watching The Avengers and forgot.

I thought that for the 5/3/1 program when you get to the final set you do as many as possible, so the third week you do 1+ and not just 1.

It depends. You have the option to do AMRAP but don't have to. As long as you're hitting the prescribed reps you're good. Since I'm doing some conditioning I've opted to be conservative and leave some gas in the tank.

It depends. You have the option to do AMRAP but don't have to. As long as you're hitting the prescribed reps you're good. Since I'm doing some conditioning I've opted to be conservative and leave some gas in the tank.

Having gas in the tank during squats never works out well for me, it usually ends up working it's way out and people look at you funny...

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I guess its just human nature to think we're the exception and not the rule.

Sure is.

Having gas in the tank during squats never works out well for me, it usually ends up working it's way out and people look at you funny...

+1

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

1. your new avatar makes me anxious. Like I might fight somebody at any given moment. :shifty eyes:

2. So you punished yourself with 315x10. Seems appropriate :)

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Oh old school street fighter... such an awesome game.

Ehhh, if you fail again.. then 20. We'll let it slide this time around. :P

How do you like the triples vs. 3x5 in squats? How do you the progress compares? I'm kinda getting bored with 3 sets of 5 at the same weight.

Also would love your advice on bench and OHP progression as I'm looking to really focus on that in the new year. 3x5 isn't cutting it, especially for OHP. Currently planning on making sure I'm doing arm and back work and strengthening them, which should assist with bench and OHP.

500 / 330 / 625

How do you like the triples vs. 3x5 in squats? How do you the progress compares? I'm kinda getting bored with 3 sets of 5 at the same weight. Also would love your advice on bench and OHP progression as I'm looking to really focus on that in the new year. 3x5 isn't cutting it, especially for OHP. Currently planning on making sure I'm doing arm and back work and strengthening them, which should assist with bench and OHP.

1- It’s a little too early for me to pass judgment; I've only been doing heavy triples for a week or so. I too was getting bored with a “structured” program, ala 531 and wanted to mix it up, so I moved to a bit of intuitive/auto-regulating setup. Basically I pick a rep range (triples so far) and ramp up to a daily max. After my warm up sets I pick the next weight increase based on how the previous set felt. If it was smooth and the bar speed was quick, I know I can make a bigger jump. Once I hit a set where it’s grindy and a little slow I stop and that’s my max for the day. Then I do some back of sets, intensity or volume biased depending on how I feel. This article lays the whole thing out in better detail. So far it’s been a good change of pace.

2- You’re probably ready for a little more advance programming on BP and OHP. I've found that both respond well to volume. I’d run a program like Jim Steel’s Get a Big Bench. Do it with a close grip/elbows in setup and OHP on the same days; ramp to a heavy single, double, or triple; then back off sets at 60%x10x3-5.

Get a Big Bench Program

Try this program :Twice a week benching, based on percentages. 50x5 is 50% of your one rep max for 5 reps. So if your bench is 300, 50% is 150. Easy. Don't do any pressing or triceps on Tuesday or Wednesday. Only do shoulders and triceps on the day that you bench and limit it to 2-3 medium heavy movements. Keep the reps on assistance from 6-10. Good luck!

Monday bench -50x5 60x4 70x2 80 5x2, 60x10

Thursday bench- 50x4 60x4 70 2x3 75 2x2 80 2x2 85 2x1 70x4 60x10

Monday bench-50x4 60x4 70x3 80 5x3 60x12

Thursday bench- 50x4 60x4 70 2x4 75 2x3 80 3x2 85 2x2 75x4 60x12

Monday bench- 50x4 60x4 70x2 80 5x4

Thursday bench- 50x4 60x4 70x4 75x2 80x3 85 2x3 90 4x1 65x10

Monday bench- 50x4 60x4 70x2 80 12x2

Thursday bench- 50x4 60x4 70x2 80x2 85x1 90x1 95 6x1

Monday bench- 50x4 60x4 70x2 80x2 85 3x2

Thursday-MAX- 50x4 60x2 70x2 80x1 85x1 90x1 95x1 100x1 105x1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines