tinkerer gets serious challenge

tinkerer

The end of the last challenge was difficult for me. While succeeding in my goals, I realized that I need to set some true long term goals if I am going to be serious about working out in a consistent way.

I've been inspired by some of the progress pics on NF and want to join the ranks of those who have set out for a destination and mastered their bodies to achieve that goal. I might not be explaining this perfectly, but I want to see what I can really do if I fully commit. I am usually not one to risk failure and therefore typically set reasonable, achievable, yet under-powered goals.

I decided for this challenge to aim higher.

Therefore, these goals are intended to be hard.

Goals-

Increase strength: +1 Str each

• Max pullups from 16 to 20.
  • Pistol squats from 3x3 to 3x5.
  • Uneven pushups from 3x8 to 3x14.
  • L-sit from 3x~20 sec to 3x45s.
  • Handstand pushups from 3x2 to 3x5.

I've tried to pick a somewhat large jump for each of these. I want to see some bigger gains this time around. I'm pretty sure I have never in my life done 20 pullups, so it's exciting to put that as something I think can actually happen. (Not easily).

Diet: Eat More. +2 Con, +1 Wis

Consume 150 g of protein per day. Eat real food, once current supply of protein powder is gone. This will require tracking...something new for me.

Stretch: +3 Dex

End each workout with 5-10 minutes of stretching.

Life: Retake the garage. +4 Cha

This will require finishing the rest of the house project, moving everything back into the house, and then finishing the half-done projects in the garage. Then, it can be organized and declared "retaken". Then I can build a better pullup bar!

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Very nice goal choices.

The str one looks like it should provide you with plenty of gains.

Operation garage cleanup sounds great. Having moved recently I have a garage for the first time. I no longer am using a guest room as a metal shop. I also had to opportunity to make my shop (garage) how I wanted. It is great and I feel awesome when I am in there. Being a fellow tinkerer, I know you will enjoy having your garage back.

Kyliewyotie

Level 15 Coyote Tinkerer
STR 27  DEX 18  STA 15  CON 14  WIS 14  CHA 12

Current Challenge

I've been inspired by some of the progress pics on NF and want to join the ranks of those who have set out for a destination and mastered their bodies to achieve that goal. I might not be explaining this perfectly, but I want to see what I can really do if I fully commit.

Makes me think of the Socrates quote:

“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.â€

Can't wait to see you what you'll be able to achieve!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Aerial assassin

STR 5.5 | DEX 7 | STA 4.5 | CON 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5

Challenge!

Off to a good start! Beginning tomorrow I will be working at another location that begins at 6am instead of 8am. I think I may have to be somewhat flexible as to when workouts occur, but I want to aim for 2-3 per week. Today's was composed of the 5 goal exercises, but I intend to sub a few in and out, just to keep from getting too muich of the same ol' same.

Strength Training 9/24

Pullups - 10, 10, 11

L-Sit - 20, 20, 25

Handstand Pushups - 2, 3, 3

Pistols - 3, 3, 3

Uneven Pushups - 8, 8, 9

Stretching - 10 mins

On some of these (pullups) strength is by far the limiting factor. On others, (HSPUs) form winds up limiting how many I can safely do.

The L-Sits are exciting! I was doing 17 second sets a couple of weeks ago (without having a "reason" to be there). Having a goal that is more than double where I am now was motivation to push that out to the limits. I will be stoked if I can make the goal on this one.

Eating - 166 g Protein, all but 10 from real food!

Garage - Last weekend we finished putting flooring in the house, installed trim and painted the trim. I am writing the first post in over 2 months from my couch. Feels good. Feels @$&! good! :) The garage still has a half dozen projects to finish and clear out, as half the house furniture. But some serious progress was made.

All in all...a great way to start the challenge.

tinkerer

Makes me think of the Socrates quote:

“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.â€

Can't wait to see you what you'll be able to achieve!

That is a great quote, and pretty much exactly what I was trying to say! Thanks!

It is great and I feel awesome when I am in there. Being a fellow tinkerer, I know you will enjoy having your garage back.

Haha, I was more excited to be cleaning the garage out than to be moving furniture back into the house! I do my workouts out there and it was great to be a little less cramped than I have been for the summer. Will be awesome when it's done.

This, plus one, seconded.
Dude, you're gonna rock this! I feels it in ma bones!!!

Thanks Guys, it's been good having you following along since the beginning (14 weeks seems like such a long time! :))

tinkerer

Off to a good start!

Strength Training 9/24

Pullups - 10, 10, 11

L-Sit - 20, 20, 25

Handstand Pushups - 2, 3, 3

Pistols - 3, 3, 3

Uneven Pushups - 8, 8, 9

Stretching - 10 mins

On some of these (pullups) strength is by far the limiting factor. On others, (HSPUs) form winds up limiting how many I can safely do.

Eating - 166 g Protein, all but 10 from real food!

All in all...a great way to start the challenge.

I should say so! Great start!

Are you doing HSPUs on the wall?

I'm impressed with the protein intake, too. It's something I need to pay attention to. :)

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

Badass! Loved reading your update. Nice work!

Thanks!

Are you doing HSPUs on the wall?

Yes, I'm not really able to hold a freestanding handstand for more than a few seconds yet. Someday!

When I get tired I lose symmetry and worry about tweaking something pushing at a weird angle.

tinkerer

Worked out after work instead of the normal morning workout. Since it wasn't 5:30 in the morning, I cranked up the Gun n Roses and really enjoyed it. I am sure I should credit the music for at least a rep here or there. :)

Strength Training 9/26

Pullups - 10, 11, 12

L-Sit - 20, 25, 25

Handstand Pushups - 3, 4, 4

Pistols - 3, 3, 4

Uneven Pushups - 8, 9, 9

Stretching - 10 mins Thanks for the stretch routine suggestion, Kyliewyotie

Eating

160 g Protein Tuesday

167 g Today.

This is a lot of food...curious/excited/interested/nervous to see the results.

tinkerer

Worked out after work again today, missed having good music like Wednesday though. Anyone have an album to suggest in the same vein as Appetite for Destruction?

I did burpees between a lot of the sets as part of the mini challenge. They really threw off both my routine and my enjoyment of the workout. I kept telling myself I could complain about them interfering as long as I did a fair number. So here I am. Complaining. Oh well...I feel better now.

Strength Training 9/28

Pullups - 11, 11, 11

L-Sit - 25, 25, 25

Handstand Pushups - 4, 3, 3

Pistols - 4, 4, 4

Burpees - 100 total

I am really excited about the progress...everything except HSPUs is more than last time. I am going to blame the burpees, but the last 5 seconds of L-Sit were pretty shakey.

Stretching - 10 mins

Eating

151 g Protein Thursday

This goal has turned out to be the most challenging of them all. I am not used to thinking about what I eat so much, and going out presents all sorts of new dilemmas.

tinkerer

Strength Training 9/28

Pullups - 11, 11, 11

L-Sit - 25, 25, 25

Handstand Pushups - 4, 3, 3

Pistols - 4, 4, 4

Burpees - 100 total

Stretching - 10 mins

Eating

151 g Protein Thursday

Full of Awesome. Great first week!

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

Thanks ASL for reminding me to post a recap!

Life is crazy busy! My wife and I and another couple went hiking last week as well as walking downtown and participating in an Oktoberfest celebration. We've been re-installing our stuff into the house and finishing up lots of little odds and ends.

I've been enjoying this challenge a lot! Thinking of it as an answer to "what can I truly accomplish" has given me the missing motivation.

Goal Progress:

Increase strength: +1 Str each

• Max pullups from 16 to 20.
    Have increased working reps by 1 for 3 sets, max untested.
  • Pistol squats from 3x3 to 3x5.
    This is looking do-able. I think I underestimated how much technique was holding me back. I am up to 3X4.
  • Uneven pushups from 3x8 to 3x14.
    Increased to 3X9, but these are tough! I am on track with 1 rep/week but we will see if I can maintain that.
  • L-sit from 3x~20 sec to 3x45s.
    Ow. This is kicking my ass. 3 ugly sets of 25 seconds was Monday's story. I was remembering that I had written 60 seconds, which was unreasonable. Very excited to realize I had set something achievable...yet also annoyed because that means I have to keep working at this! :)
  • Handstand pushups from 3x2 to 3x5.
    Similar to pistols, I think technique improvement will allow me to achieve this.

Diet: Eat More. +2 Con, +1 Wis 150 g of protein per day.

This is going well! So far, 6/7 days for Week 1 and looking good for Week 2! It's interesting how much this has me watching what I eat. I get to go out to lunch a lot for work and I'm almost annoyed now, because I have to figure out some lunch that is high in protein...which can be challenging at a pizza joint.

Stretch: +3 Dex End each workout with 5-10 minutes of stretching.

100%. Nuff said.

Life: Retake the garage. +4 Cha

Progress is being made! As I mentioned, furniture is moving back in. I also repaired a toy wooden truck from childhood that has been sitting on my workbench for 6 months. There is still a lot of work to be done here...but it's enjoyable work!

Strength Training 10/1 (Because I wasn't sure where else to put it in this giant post.)

Pullups - 11, 11, 12

L-Sit - 25, 25, 27

Handstand Pushups - 4, 3, 4

Pistols - 4, 4, 4

Uneven Pushups- 9, 9, 9

Stretching - 10 mins

tinkerer

How are the stretches going? I see you are getting them, notice any improvement? Feel any stretchier?

Hmm...not really. I suppose that is normal though, it's really only been 4 stretching sessions. Hopefully I will notice something by the end of the challenge though. Looks like I should have been doing mobility work today though...

What I have been doing is setting an alarm for 10 mins before the end of my workout. Then I just stop and do the stretches. Cannot claim to "not have time" that way.

tinkerer

It's kind of boring, but I like tracking it.

Strength Training 10/3

Pullups - 11, 12, 12

L-Sit - 30, 30, 27

Handstand Pushups - 4, 4,

Pistols - 4, 4

Uneven Pushups- 9, 10

Out of time in the middle of 3rd round. Went on to do stretching.

All of this is right at my limits, but the L-Sit is brutal!

Stretching - 10 mins

Will be doing mobility instead of stretching for the rest of this week...fall frenzy and all that.

tinkerer

Todays Workout:

Warmup (lower intensity versions of everything to come)

Pullups 12, 12

LSit 30, 30 sec

Handstand Pushups 4, 4

Pistol Squats 4, 4

Uneven Pushups 10, 10

Stretch 5 Mins

Felt nauseated at the end of this. It had been a week since the last workout, I was rushing sets, and I should have done more to warm up.

Pretty frustrated at not having the time to keep up on everyone's challenge. I've been running like crazy and NF checking has not made the top 100.

tinkerer

It's time for a new outlook on fitness for me.

I've spent the last week and a half frustrated and unhappy with working out, workout plans, not having time to reply to other's posts and only half-assing workouts. I read a lot of posts, but haven't felt like I had the time to concoct a meaningful response. In short, I became unplugged from the group and lost the drive that the accountability had been providing. But I also realized that this wasn't for you guys, or my wife, or anyone else. It couldn't be if I really wanted to keep at it. So I didn't do anything for about 7 days. I just thought a lot about why I might or might not do things. I am an engineer type - so I made a list. Here is what I came up with, word for word out of my notebook thinger.

Tinkerer's Fitness Goals for Life*

Healthy

Normal Blood Pressure and Body Composition

No addictions

Balanced life

Capable

Hiking, Backpacking, Climbing

Lifting and Moving Things

Top 10% -Running -Lifting

Ability to "do anything"

Attractive

Upper Body Definition and Size

Abs

*Subject to change without notice

With that list in mind, I think I will be revamping my long-term workout plans. What I was failing to realize, until tonight though, was that I needed to get started again. The best list in the world was just a list. My current challenge is still a valid way to knock stuff on that list out. So I put my beer in the fridge (because I am only human) put on some workout shorts, and knocked the workout below out.

Pullups - 12, 12, 13 (PR)

L-Sit - 30, 30 , 30 (PR)

HSPU - 5, 5, 5 (PR) GOAL MET

Pistols 4, 4, 5 (PR)

Uneven Pushups - 11, 11, 12 (PR)

There is a pattern above. This was probably one of the most fulfilling workouts of all time.

tinkerer

With that list in mind, I think I will be revamping my long-term workout plans. What I was failing to realize, until tonight though, was that I needed to get started again. The best list in the world was just a list. My current challenge is still a valid way to knock stuff on that list out. So I put my beer in the fridge (because I am only human) put on some workout shorts, and knocked the workout below out.

Pullups - 12, 12, 13 (PR)

L-Sit - 30, 30 , 30 (PR)

HSPU - 5, 5, 5 (PR) GOAL MET

Pistols 4, 4, 5 (PR)

Uneven Pushups - 11, 11, 12 (PR)

There is a pattern above. This was probably one of the most fulfilling workouts of all time.

Nice. Looks like a big step forward in a number of areas.

When are you going to start working incline one arm pushups? The big difference between uneven pushups and inclines is the twist involved, learning to resist it internally.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines