• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

concretecavewoman

ConcreteCavewoman's Greek Austerity Measures Challenge

Last challenge I lifted, stretched, and cleaned up my eating. Despite a relatively low score (C-) I actually feel good about the changes I made in the last challenge, because they are more habituated and baked in to my normal routine now, especially a more Whole30-ish diet. However, some new stuff cropped up last challenge, like some new financial committments that have put the kibosh on my flight time for the time being, and capping out on some lifts (all of my PRs came in the first two weeks of the challenge, and I barely budged in the last four). So I want to shake things up, and in the spirit of the economic times, get a little more Greek (Spartan, perhaps?) austerity into my life, remove the cruft, and focus on very specific, measurable goals.

I'm also changing a few things up. I've been lifting for the last 10 months, give or take, with a few breaks in between. I've seen (for me) fantastic gains despite some degree of inconsistency in both training and diet:

Squat 60 -> 120

Deadlift 80 -> 175

Bench 50-> 115

OHP 45 -> 75

But now that I've built something approaching a strength base, I want MOAR capacity, and to shore up areas like speed (where I've lost substantial ground), so I'm making the switch to crossfit--which I haven't done in almost two years--for the variety intensity, and I figure I can take on some very strength focused stuff while I'm at the gym. Very excited about this, and I've found a very good gym.

Fitness Goals

1. Reduce Public Sector Benefits: The Snooze Button is History
    There is a difference between getting up early and being a morning person. I am the former, not the latter. But I want to BECOME a morning person. I usually get up at 5:30-5:45 each morning, angry and zombie-like, after having hit the snooze six times. This seems sub-optimal. My goal is to wake up every day without the snooze. 5am is the target for weekdays, 7 for the weekends. This will also force me to go to bed earlier.
    Wake up at 5am on the weekdays
    Wake up at 7am on the weekends
    Earn +3CON
  2. Eliminate (dietary) Bonuses: Hit Those Macros
    The last couple of challenges have taught me two things 1) macros matter, specifically, sufficient protein matters, and 2) whole 30-ish is the way to go for me. Going 100% without dairy isn't super sustainable for my lifestyle, but I'm not going to be crazy about food quality (whey protein is ok, for instance) and focus on hitting those macros instead, +/-10%. and it's ok if I exceed on protein
    Rest Day: 150 protein, 45 carb, 60 fat, for a total of 1300
    Work Day (defined as crossfit day): 150 protein, 190 carb, 40 fat, for a total of 1750.
    Earn +3CON +1WIS
  3. Increase the Speed of Business: Run Faster, Much Faster
    I used to be fast. Not Usain Bolt fast, or even 4G fast, more like, what 56k felt like after being on 28.8 fast. Fast, to me. I've lost almost 2min/mile off my normal distance pace and more on the sprint in the last couple years and I'm going to get that back, damnit. My previous comfortable distance pace was 8:00/mi, with 7:15 on a good day. Now it's 10+, ugh. Goals:
    3 Mile: 29:00
    1 Mile: 9:00
    400: 1:40
    200: :39
    +4DEX, one point for every goal I hit.

Life Goal

1. Budget Reductions: No Unnecessary Spending
    Per the above I need to trim the fat, also, it seems like a good personal practice to reduce unnecessary spending, so along the lines of scotticus, I can only buy what I need (food, bills, etc) or what needs to be replaced.
    Earn +4 WIS, -1WIS for every $50 of unecessary spending.

Those are some awesome goals! I love your creativity with titling... "reduce public sector benenfits" in relation to the snooze button make me laugh! :D

I feel you on the snooze button thing. I'm hoping melatonin + going to bed earlier will fix that without me worrying about it. :)

So. Crossfit. Awesome! Which box are you planning on going to?

Edited by Clawed_Bear

Excellent goals. I got in the habit of getting up at 6am every day for the last challenge which worked pretty well as long as I was mostly going to bed at 10 with occasional not getting to bed until after 11. After my roommate got back from Italy this flipped which works slightly less well.

I hear you on the snooze. People who snoozed used to annoy me. And now I am that person. Poetic justic? Probably. I've been working on this myself. Getting into bed isn't my problem, but I seem to delay sleep. Who knows why. It's like I am somehow delaying work. Weird.

Yay for Crossfit! And yay for budgeting. I have been working on that, too. Budget, not Crossfit. :) Good luck!

Spending is a weakness for me too, and I get up around 5:30 also. Sleep is one one thing I need to get better at. Good luck! Subscribing.

Yeah spending is pretty hit or miss. Usually I stick to my budget decently well, but I need to practice just being more on the spot (like nice clothes are my weakness, bleh!)

Great goals and I really like your theme. Hope you kick assurance this challenge!

Gracias! I will kick all the assurances!

Those are some awesome goals! I love your creativity with titling... "reduce public sector benenfits" in relation to the snooze button make me laugh!

I feel you on the snooze button thing. I'm hoping melatonin + going to bed earlier will fix that without me worrying about it.

So. Crossfit. Awesome! Which box are you planning on going to?

Thanks! Yeah the snooze button is the evil. I swear I could hit snooze for HOURS.

I'm going to go to Crossfit Bellevue down yonder in Factoria. It's hay-ooooge. The trainers I talked to seemed pretty knowledgeable/friendly and their hours work nicely with my schedule. Plus I've had a number of referrals there from colleagues. Jazzed!

Excellent goals. I got in the habit of getting up at 6am every day for the last challenge which worked pretty well as long as I was mostly going to bed at 10 with occasional not getting to bed until after 11. After my roommate got back from Italy this flipped which works slightly less well.

Yes! This whole not-snoozing thing is definitely predicated on getting to bed at a reasonable hour, at which I often fail. 10 is what I shoot for too, though it often ends up being 11 (or, like last night, midnight)

I hear you on the snooze. People who snoozed used to annoy me. And now I am that person. Poetic justic? Probably. I've been working on this myself. Getting into bed isn't my problem, but I seem to delay sleep. Who knows why. It's like I am somehow delaying work. Weird.

Yay for Crossfit! And yay for budgeting. I have been working on that, too. Budget, not Crossfit. Good luck!

Haha, yeah its like, the longer I'm awake sunday the less I have to think about monday! I find myself puttering around the house to all odd hours. It's like cleaning is a great excuse to not sleep which is madness o.O

this is great.

i too have a problem with the snooze button.

i also like your "get faster" goal -- these are all specific and attainable.

i'm glad i'm on this roller coaster with you!

I've been hitting the snooze button more than usual the last few days but I've been trying to avoid getting my roommates cold. I think it's working -- I'm feeling better today than yesterday and I think I avoided getting his fever. So sometimes, go go gadget snooze button.

Thanks! Yeah the snooze button is the evil. I swear I could hit snooze for HOURS.

I'm going to go to Crossfit Bellevue down yonder in Factoria. It's hay-ooooge. The trainers I talked to seemed pretty knowledgeable/friendly and their hours work nicely with my schedule. Plus I've had a number of referrals there from colleagues. Jazzed!

Yeah, me too. I know I hit it at least 2-3 times this morning at 5 am. I set the first one 10 minutes before I need to be up, the second 5 minutes, and then the third alarm goes off when I need to actually get up. This may be n=1, but I'm noticing that with 5mg of melatonin *and* a nightly dose of magnesium citrate that the mornings aren't as bad. I think I'm getting to a deeper sleep faster, and actually noticing some bi-phasic sleep patterns happening. Maybe something like that would help?

Ooooh. That's supposed to be a cool box. They even have sealfit stuff! Though the prices. Ridiculous! Though I think they put that there to convince you to sign up for a yearly contract. ;)

Edited by Clawed_Bear

Off to a good start! It's all about momentum right? It was actually a pretty stressful day, but I got up on time, no snoozing. Hit my workout, and the macros were damn near perfect. Tomorrow will be a one miler plus some kettlebell work.

Fitness

1. Kill Your Snooze Button
    Time out of Bed: 5:07
    PASS 1/42
  2. Run Faster
    3 Mile: (Current) XX:xx -> (Goal) 29:00
    1 Mile: (Current) 9:30 -> (Goal) 9:00
    400: (Current) 1:49 -> (Goal) 1:40
    200: (Current) :44 -> (Goal) :39
    Today's Workout:
    Running (Intervals/Sprints):
    45 sec || 200 m || Sprint (+135 pts)
    44 sec || 200 m || Sprint (+135 pts)
    57 sec || 200 m || Sprint (+135 pts)
    46 sec || 200 m || Sprint (+135 pts)
    46 sec || 200 m || Sprint (+135 pts)
    Running:
    0:07:00 || 0.7 mi (+53 pts)
    warmup and cooldown
    Push-Up:
    7 reps (+13 pts)
    9 reps (+17 pts)
    10 reps (+19 pts)
    15 reps (+29 pts)
    Goblet Squat (kettlebell):
    35 lb x 16 reps (+48 pts)
    35 lb x 16 reps (+48 pts)
  3. Macros, Ahoy!
    Rest day, so shooting for a fairly low 1300 cal and mostly protein.
    Protein: 150
    Carbs: 60
    Fat: 43
    PASS 1/42

Life

1. No Spending the Moneys!
    Amount Spent Unnecessarily: 0
    PASS

this is great.

i too have a problem with the snooze button.

i also like your "get faster" goal -- these are all specific and attainable.

i'm glad i'm on this roller coaster with you!

Thanks!!! You're awesome :D

There are times where I've considered getting one of those alarm clocks that rolls off the nightstand and runs away, I swear it's the only way I'll get out of bed in the morning.

The speedwork is kind of my goat. I've never been super fast but I'd love to be the kind of person who is super fast.

I've been hitting the snooze button more than usual the last few days but I've been trying to avoid getting my roommates cold. I think it's working -- I'm feeling better today than yesterday and I think I avoided getting his fever. So sometimes, go go gadget snooze button.

Hurrah for not getting sick. Maybe this is a good excuse to give myself one snooze button cheat day ;)

ZOMG! Crossfit! Gah! I'm so excited for you and a little bit jealous

GREAT goals! I look forward to your progress on changing your morning persona. Boyfriend has a terrible time waking up so I may steal your ideas

Yay, thanks! Wow so the opposite for me. SO wakes up like a champ and it's only because of his puttering around in the morning that there is enough ambient noise to wake me up. Me? I'd sleep through a hurricane.

Yeah, me too. I know I hit it at least 2-3 times this morning at 5 am. I set the first one 10 minutes before I need to be up, the second 5 minutes, and then the third alarm goes off when I need to actually get up. This may be n=1, but I'm noticing that with 5mg of melatonin *and* a nightly dose of magnesium citrate that the mornings aren't as bad. I think I'm getting to a deeper sleep faster, and actually noticing some bi-phasic sleep patterns happening. Maybe something like that would help?

Ooooh. That's supposed to be a cool box. They even have sealfit stuff! Though the prices. Ridiculous! Though I think they put that there to convince you to sign up for a yearly contract.

Hmmm I may have to go pick up some MG tomorrow since i'm pretty sure I already have melatonin hanging around somewhere. I'll give it a shot.

Yeah I was super jazzed when I saw the box. And the sealfit program looks kickass; they were running a class while I was there and I got to watch for a bit. It's 3 hours 3x a week, holy moly! But yeah the prices are crazy. I nearly choked when I saw the price sheet. I could get a corporate discount but I just can't commit to a year without having tried it for a few months. They have a three month required signup with their fundamentals, so I figure if I still like it I'll spring for the yearly package at that point.

Day two: I slept terribly. Maybe two hours of sleep between when I went to bed and 5am. It was terri-bad. OLD concretecavewoman would have kept the alarm set for 5:00am and then hit snooze 800 times until 8am, getting seriously crappy sleep all along the way. NEW concretecavewoman is a realist and turned off the alarm at 5am rather than tussle with the snooze-monster. This was the right thing, even if it torched my goal for the day.

I worked from home all day, ran lots of errands (car needed to go to the shop), then went for a run and did some kettlebell work. And I'm SOOOOO excited because tomorrow is my first day back to crossfit :D I talked to the owner and he said that rather than go through the whole on-ramp program, since Ive done crossfit before I can just drop into on-ramp classes or open classes as I'd like. Each of the on-ramp classes has a topical focus, so I'll probably choose ones that have oly lifting or gymnastics as a focus, since these are my weak areas. Tomorrow is deadlifts; I will be there.

Fitness

Time out of Bed: 9:00
    FAIL 1/42
  2. Run Faster
    1 Mile: (Current) 9:25 -> (Goal) 9:00
    Workout:
    Running:
    0:09:25 (+37 pts)
    0:05:00 || 0.5 mi (+35 pts)
    0:05:00 || 0.5 mi (+35 pts)
    one mile plus half mile warmup and cooldown
    Push-Up:
    10 reps (+19 pts)
    12 reps (+23 pts)
    13 reps (+25 pts)
    8 reps (+15 pts)
    Two-Arm Kettlebell Swing:
    35 lb x 31 reps (+63 pts)
    35 lb x 25 reps (+57 pts)
    35 lb x 30 reps (+62 pts)
    35 lb x 30 reps (+62 pts)
    53 lb x 7 reps (+44 pts)
    Kneeling Push-Up:
    20 reps (+13 pts)
  3. Macros, Ahoy!
    Protein: 140
    Carbs: 55
    Fat: 60
    Nailed it! Ate lots of seafood today and finished off the evening with some peaches and cottage cheese
    PASS 2/42

Life

1. No Spending the Moneys!
    Amount Spent Unnecessarily: 0
    PASS

I seen an advertisement for an alarm clock that launches a rocket and you have to collect it and set it back up before the alarm goes off. I used to have major problems with the snooze button too. I started using an iphone app that tracks your movement during the night and wakes you during a lighter sleep cycle during a specified time period in the morning rather than jaring you awake. I'm still not a morning person, but I do feel less tired at 5:45 starts than I ever have before. Honestly, if I didn't have to start work until 10:00 I'd be a much happier person :)

I'm actually a much happier person getting to work early (which means leaving early - it's quiet at work early, plus leaving early is like a treat both to have more time at night and traffic to and from work). I have a limited window to get on the highway before it's terrible (and I realize I live in Wichita, KS, so traffic is nothing compared to other cities - but I'd argue driving during rush hour is DANGEROUS so I hate it). Anyway, rush hour is my only motivation to not hit snooze. Otherwise, I'd be snoozing all morning, too. And I've just recently started doing the realist thing, resetting the alarm if I know I haven't had enough sleep rather than snoozing.

And your running has made me want to simply conquer one mile tonight. So thanks for that! (Plus, it's raining here today. So yay for good running weather!)

I'm late to this thread, but I love your goals! Since the little one always wakes up before me, I don't really get the chance to snooze anymore, but it's definitely still in my blood. When I travel on business I snooze like it's going out of style - it's terrible. It looks like you're off to a great start already though! Have fun at crossfit today! :)

Day 3! The day of context switching! Started off the morning waking up WITHOUT AN ALARM. That's a first. Just popped out of bed at 4:55. I'd say that's progress. Then I went to a training class for my new volunteering job where I spent most of the time straining to understand all the spanish flying around. Then work, which was pretty stressful today, a cabbage soup of negative energy. But after work I went in for my first crossfit class/assessment, and the good news? I got passed from fundamentals! This is cool because 1) fundamentals is $$$, and 2) I can jump straight into classes. But boy I haven't done any kind of metcon work in ages because the class slayed me, in a good way :)

Fitness

Time out of Bed: 4:55 yeeeeeeeah
    PASS 2/42
  2. Run Faster
    1 Mile: (Current) 9:25 -> (Goal) 9:00
    Workout:
    A ton of form work through all the various lifts, pullups, sprints. And,
    Body Weight Squat: