• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

concretecavewoman

ConcreteCavewoman's Greek Austerity Measures Challenge

Sometimes you just need to sleep in.

Other stuff is looking good!

Dear god sleep is a beautiful thing. Totally worth it.

Thanks!!

I seen an advertisement for an alarm clock that launches a rocket and you have to collect it and set it back up before the alarm goes off. I used to have major problems with the snooze button too. I started using an iphone app that tracks your movement during the night and wakes you during a lighter sleep cycle during a specified time period in the morning rather than jaring you awake. I'm still not a morning person' date=' but I do feel less tired at 5:45 starts than I ever have before. Honestly, if I didn't have to start work until 10:00 I'd be a much happier person[/quote']

Ok I like the sound of hte rocket alarm. A few years ago I had this horrible combination of alarm clocks that included 1) a clock radio 2) a television and 3) my cell phone. I would wake up to a cacophony of Kansas, reruns of Coach, and something that was supposed to sound like chirping birds. Nothing about that sets up the day right. Hmmm maybe I should try one of those apps. I've heard that they work pretty well. Glad to hear you've had a good experience with it!

I'm actually a much happier person getting to work early (which means leaving early - it's quiet at work early, plus leaving early is like a treat both to have more time at night and traffic to and from work). I have a limited window to get on the highway before it's terrible (and I realize I live in Wichita, KS, so traffic is nothing compared to other cities - but I'd argue driving during rush hour is DANGEROUS so I hate it). Anyway, rush hour is my only motivation to not hit snooze. Otherwise, I'd be snoozing all morning, too. And I've just recently started doing the realist thing, resetting the alarm if I know I haven't had enough sleep rather than snoozing.

And your running has made me want to simply conquer one mile tonight. So thanks for that! (Plus, it's raining here today. So yay for good running weather!)

Yes, plus a million to missing traffic! And yay for conquering running!

I'm late to this thread, but I love your goals! Since the little one always wakes up before me, I don't really get the chance to snooze anymore, but it's definitely still in my blood. When I travel on business I snooze like it's going out of style - it's terrible. It looks like you're off to a great start already though! Have fun at crossfit today!

Hooray, thanks! I guess you have a tiny human alarm clock at home :) That's too funny re: biz travel. When I travel I'm so paranoid about oversleeping and missing meetings that I hardly sleep, so I'm an absolute wreck when I get home and need 16 hr naps.

Way to own those workout, diet and money goals. Sleep is a fickle mistress.

Thank you! To turn an old simpsons line... Sleep, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

ooooo crossfit!

Yeeeeeeah! I aspire to nightlight-levels of crossfit epicness.

I can't even remember the last time I was awake a 4:55 for something other than a) having never went to bed at all that night or B) going to Disneyland, need to get on the road before traffic on the 91.

Great goals, and I really like the spending goal. My husband has a serious Amazon addiction, and I think this coming month we are going to try for some no-spending days as a method of combatting it. Basically, we set a goal that we won't spend any money for any reason for 10-15 days out of the month, so we have to plan out what we need to buy/accomplish on the days we allow ourselves to spend. It's worked in the past.

My husband has a serious Amazon addiction.

We should start a support group. "Hi, I'm msuroo and I'm addicted to Amazon." Seriously, one click purchasing + free 2 day shipping = dangerous business.

We should start a support group. "Hi, I'm msuroo and I'm addicted to Amazon." Seriously, one click purchasing + free 2 day shipping = dangerous business.

+1

I'm not bad with instant gratification type purchases, but preordering books for arrival on release day? I think I have at least one a month being sent to me for the next year. I also have 3 wishlists running, and they all have over 100 items each on them. I'm just better about not ordering ALL THE THINGS and ordering them when I really really want/need them, as compared to the hubs.

Blergh. Not a great day in many ways. I was up til about 2am working on some emergent stuff for work. I still managed to get up on time but just took a walk rather than running since I knew that would torch me. Was absolutely knackered at work and was running around all day so the eating was pretty mediocre.

Fitness

1. Kill Your Snooze Button
    Time out of Bed: 5:03
    PASS 3/42
  2. Run Faster
    3 Mile: (Current) XX:xx -> (Goal) 29:00
    1 Mile: (Current) 9:25 -> (Goal) 9:00
    400: (Current) 1:49 -> (Goal) 1:40
    200: (Current) :44 -> (Goal) :39
    No workout
    3 mile walk
  3. Macros, Ahoy!
    Protein: UNKNOWN
    Carbs:
    Fat:
    Fail 3/42

Life

1. No Spending the Moneys!
    Amount Spent Unnecessarily: 0
    PASS

Yes, much better day. Still went to bed kind of late last night (11:30) but got up at 4:55, yeehaw! Crossfit, work, then taking my mom out for her birthday dinner. I managed to do pretty well on macros for eating out. And I feel like I'm getting so much more out of the day by consistently getting up early rather than tormenting myself with the snooze. Also, getting humbled by crossfit is pretty fun too :)

Fitness

Time out of Bed: 4:55
    PASS 4/42
  2. Run Faster
    Workout
    Strength:
    Squats 1RM
    WOD:
    25-20-15-10-5
    Back squat (Rx: 65, I did 55)
    jump rope
    GHD
    calorie rows
    Barbell Squat:
    35 lb x 3 reps (+35 pts)
    35 lb x 3 reps (+35 pts)
    55 lb x 3 reps (+40 pts)
    85 lb x 3 reps (+49 pts)
    105 lb x 1 reps (+38 pts)
    115 lb x 1 reps (+41 pts)
    125 lb x 1 reps (+44 pts)
    55 lb x 25 reps (+69 pts)
    55 lb x 20 reps (+65 pts)
    55 lb x 15 reps (+62 pts)
    55 lb x 10 reps (+59 pts)
    55 lb x 5 reps (+50 pts)
    Jump Rope:
    0:00:30 (+5 pts)
    0:00:25 (+5 pts)
    0:00:20 (+5 pts)
    0:00:15 (+5 pts)
    0:00:10 (+5 pts)
    Sit-Up:
    25 reps (+16 pts)
    20 reps (+13 pts)
    15 reps (+9 pts)
    10 reps (+6 pts)
    5 reps (+5 pts)
    Rowing (machine):
    0:02:00 || 100 m (+16 pts)
  3. Macros, Ahoy!
    Protein: 150
    Carbs:200
    Fat:80
    FAIL Was more than 10% off 3/42

Life

PASS

Yes, much better day. Still went to bed kind of late last night (11:30) but got up at 4:55, yeehaw! Crossfit, work, then taking my mom out for her birthday dinner. I managed to do pretty well on macros for eating out. And I feel like I'm getting so much more out of the day by consistently getting up early rather than tormenting myself with the snooze. Also, getting humbled by crossfit is pretty fun too :)

Got up at 4:55?! AWESOME! :D

Oh, and wow. That's a lot of squats. I still remember doing 50-40-30-20-10 with some rope climbs [scaled] for a wod and thinking I would die...glad to hear you're having fun at crossfit! :)

I looked at your work out, and now I have Squats! to the tune of "shots!" by LMFAO in my head. This will definitely get sung today.

i did squats on thursday. ow.

i feel you, if you've got the DOMS.

I need the DOMS. I feel like my strength sucks right now but I can't seem to get sore. It wouldn't suck being behind in my weight lifted if I'd at least be nice and sore. Is this a strange point of view?

I looked at your work out, and now I have Squats! to the tune of "shots!" by LMFAO in my head. This will definitely get sung today.

i have this in my head any time i squat.

it's awesome.

I need the DOMS. I feel like my strength sucks right now but I can't seem to get sore. It wouldn't suck being behind in my weight lifted if I'd at least be nice and sore. Is this a strange point of view?

not at all.

backsquats and burpees. get after it.

I can't even remember the last time I was awake a 4:55 for something other than a) having never went to bed at all that night or B) going to Disneyland, need to get on the road before traffic on the 91.

Great goals, and I really like the spending goal. My husband has a serious Amazon addiction, and I think this coming month we are going to try for some no-spending days as a method of combatting it. Basically, we set a goal that we won't spend any money for any reason for 10-15 days out of the month, so we have to plan out what we need to buy/accomplish on the days we allow ourselves to spend. It's worked in the past.

Oh amazon, sweet... terrible amazon. I like the structure that you've designed to curb spending! I've read that any time you can force yourself to step back and consider a purchase decision (like making yourself wait a few days to buy something) it severly lowers the chance that you'll actually buy it.

^This is the reason I've never signed up for prime. Despite heavy temptation to do so every christmas season. I've taken to trying to shop at my local hipster book store more often (think Powell's, but in Seattle), so I'll make my lists and browse on amazon, then call and order from the book store. Lots of overhead and costs more but I guess the hippie in me is ok with that.

Yay internal alarm clock. It's nice when you wake up before the alarm goes off as long as "before" is "a few minutes" and not "randomly in the middle of the night."

Yay, indeed! I've become a wake in the middle of the night person. I really don't like it. SLeeping through the night never used to be an issue until about a year ago (perhaps correlates with job stress?)

i did squats on thursday. ow.

i feel you, if you've got the DOMS.

so. much. DOMS. Me and my foam roller hung out and had a good cry. Well, it was more like... I had a good cry and my foam roller consoled me.

Got up at 4:55?! AWESOME!

Oh, and wow. That's a lot of squats. I still remember doing 50-40-30-20-10 with some rope climbs [scaled] for a wod and thinking I would die...glad to hear you're having fun at crossfit!

Thanks! Haha omg that WOD sounds deadly. How do you scale rope climbs?

Hahaha, had to go look this on The You Tubes cause I'm clearly not with it. Hilarious.

My day consisted of two major categories:

DOMS

Naps

I haven't been sleeping well lately despite my earlier wakeup time. 3 hrs a night for 3 nights in a row added up (to not much) and I spent most of the day napping. Really nothing exciting. I read some of The Power of Habit (been sitting on my shelf for a while, recently reviewed on the NF blog). It's pretty interesting, written in a Gladwell-ian way.

Fitness

Time out of Bed: 7:00 yay, first time I've done that on a weekend in a long freaking time.
    PASS 5/42
  2. Run Faster
  3. Macros, Ahoy!
    Protein: 115
    Carbs:56
    Fat:75
    PASS 4/42

Life

PASS

Oh amazon, sweet... terrible amazon. I like the structure that you've designed to curb spending! I've read that any time you can force yourself to step back and consider a purchase decision (like making yourself wait a few days to buy something) it severly lowers the chance that you'll actually buy it.

^This is the reason I've never signed up for prime. Despite heavy temptation to do so every christmas season. I've taken to trying to shop at my local hipster book store more often (think Powell's, but in Seattle), so I'll make my lists and browse on amazon, then call and order from the book store. Lots of overhead and costs more but I guess the hippie in me is ok with that.

Thanks! Haha omg that WOD sounds deadly. How do you scale rope climbs?

How to scale rope climbs...the wod was 50-40-30-20-10 with 5-4-3-2-1 rope climbs. At that point, you can either pull a sled (prowler) with a rope and ton of weight. Or do dumbell rows. Since we had a ton of people in that class at that time, we did a bunch of dumbell rows. Not as effective pulling the prowler IMO, but it worked. Still, I remember getting half-way through the set of 20 squats and wanting to puke or fall over from the case of vertigo I had. That's probably one of the hardest endurance wod's I've done...

If you're more advanced *and* have good upper body strength, you can also do rope lowers, which is starting at standing and lowering yourself down. Sometimes they do rope pull-ups, which is starting at the bottom [on the floor] and pulling yourself up. I've also seen scaling to "climb 10 feet", or "climb 1x instead of 5x".

So, how do you limit your purchasing on amazon? I'm un-familiar with this structure to curb spending. However, I do have prime (though I got it free through my brother). Maybe that's the issue. And which is your favorite hipster bookstore in seattle? I heard there was a one new bookstore down there that only sells cookbooks, that sounds pretty sweet! :)

How to scale rope climbs...the wod was 50-40-30-20-10 with 5-4-3-2-1 rope climbs. At that point, you can either pull a sled (prowler) with a rope and ton of weight. Or do dumbell rows. Since we had a ton of people in that class at that time, we did a bunch of dumbell rows. Not as effective pulling the prowler IMO, but it worked. Still, I remember getting half-way through the set of 20 squats and wanting to puke or fall over from the case of vertigo I had. That's probably one of the hardest endurance wod's I've done...

If you're more advanced *and* have good upper body strength, you can also do rope lowers, which is starting at standing and lowering yourself down. Sometimes they do rope pull-ups, which is starting at the bottom [on the floor] and pulling yourself up. I've also seen scaling to "climb 10 feet", or "climb 1x instead of 5x".

So, how do you limit your purchasing on amazon? I'm un-familiar with this structure to curb spending. However, I do have prime (though I got it free through my brother). Maybe that's the issue. And which is your favorite hipster bookstore in seattle? I heard there was a one new bookstore down there that only sells cookbooks, that sounds pretty sweet! :)

Oooooof that sounds -horrible-. Especially the sled pulls, which I've never done but I get sympathy nausea just seeing someone do a sled pull. I just had a proper pullup bar installed in my apartment and I want to get a short rope so that I can practice those lower/raises from the floor. I can actually do a proper rope climb (kinda, ugly, but it works) but I dont have 20' ceilings either haha.

Re: Amazon... since I'm on this "buy local" kick I just keep all my browsing and wishlisting through Amazon. I buy 90% of my books through Elliott Bay Book Co. in Cap Hill which, if you haven't been, is awesome. They have lots of titles from small indie publishers and all the major stuff, too. So if I -really really- want a book I have to call the store, place an order (much of the time they don't have the titles I want in stock,cause it tends to be less marketable stuff like Oly Lifting books), and wait 3-5 days for it to arrive in-store. Just the hurdles to spending cause me to think carefully about whether I really MUST have this book OMG right NAOW!

Sunday, sunday, SOMEDAY! Finally had a sleep-in day, but didn't loll about til my usual 11am so I'm pretty happy about that and will call it a win. Went for a run, then did a bunch of prepatory cooking for the week. Very boring weekend. Boring in a good way since I have two 5ks to run next weekend.

Also, I did some ungluing of the plantar fascia with a golf ball. Omg, DO THIS. The ankle mobility I got as a result was amazing. The precision I was able to get with the golf ball, especially at the forefoot, was so much better than with the larger lacrosse ball.

Fitness

Time out of Bed: 9:00am
    PASS 6/42 Yeah, I'm ok with this, it was Sunday.
  2. Run Faster
    Still haven't done a 3 mile test. Will do this week.
    Run: 3.7 miles, 40 min, 10:30" pace
    Grease the groove: pullups with purple band
  3. Macros, Ahoy!
    Protein: 133
    Carbs: 90
    Fat: 36
    PASS 5/42 Still working on keeping the carbs low on rest days, but glad I hit my protein counts without exceeding on total cals.

Life

PASS

Crossfit morning, all the hectic at work, home, dinner, walk, and sleep. Not enough sleep. I was in bed at 10pm and asleep at 10:30 but I could've gone to bed at 8:30 I think.

Fitness

Time out of Bed: 4:50, killed it :D
    PASS 7/42
  2. Run Faster
    Workout:
    Strength - Deadlifts
    WOD - 21-15-9 pullups (purple band) and box jumps (18")
    9-15-21 ring dips (purple band) and atomic situps
    Stiff Leg Barbell Good Morning:
    35 lb x 10 reps (+25 pts)
    Barbell Deadlift:
    35 lb x 10 reps (+51 pts)
    85 lb x 5 reps (+61 pts)
    125 lb x 5 reps (+80 pts)
    145 lb x 5 reps (+91 pts)
    155 lb x 3 reps (+78 pts)
    155 lb x 1 reps (+53 pts)
    Pull-Up:
    21 reps || assisted || 60 lb (+28 pts)
    15 reps || assisted || 60 lb (+21 pts)
    9 reps || assisted || 60 lb (+14 pts)
    Box Jumps:
    21 jumps || 18 in (+64 pts)
    15 jumps || 12 in (+26 pts)
    9 jumps || 18 in (+23 pts)
    Ring Dip:
    9 reps || assisted || 60 lb (+14 pts)
    15 reps || assisted || 60 lb (+26 pts)
    21 reps || assisted || 60 lb (+40 pts)
    Sit-Up:
    9 reps (+5 pts)
    15 reps (+9 pts)
    21 reps (+13 pts)
    + 4 mile walk in the evening w/the SO.
  3. Macros, Ahoy!
    Protein: 158
    Carbs: 160
    Fat: 59
    PASS 6/42 Technically my macros passed today, but there was too much sugary crap in the mix. Let's get some of that sugar from fruit mmmmkay?

Life

PASS This is now challenging since one of my dresses is in the process of unraveling and my dry cleaner can't fix it.