• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

concretecavewoman

ConcreteCavewoman's Greek Austerity Measures Challenge

*OUCH*. That's early. I am super impressed with your waking up skills. Also, did you see this? Interesting article about alarm clocks and "fixing" your sleep. I think it's time I ditch the 3rd, 4th and 5th "reminder" alarms. :)

http://lifehacker.com/5947802/get-rid-of-your-alarm-safety-net-to-fix-your-sleep

Haha, I loved the article, I feel so validated!

Keep up the great work!

I'm battling the DOMS beast myself... the foam roller told me to get lost so I sought comfort in an epsom soak. DOMS, Y u no leave me alone?!

Oh DOMS. DOMS is like an abusive relationship: it hits me cause it loves me. I might borrow your epsom idea this evening.

I think the whole no-snooze button thing is catching up to me. I was SO tired this morning. I ended up working about 12 hrs today so I'm sure that didn't help. Now that the day is over time for dinner and an epsom salt bath (see: above). Ran some 400s this morning. I was not pleased with my times. It helped when I looked back at my log and saw that I've shaved off over 20 seconds in the last 4 months. My posterior shins are getting increasingly more achey and I'm concerned that this could develop into splints. That, or it's just my body acclimating to more sprinting. I'm going to make an effort to spend more time lacrosse-ing my tibial area to see if that helps.

Fitness

1. Kill Your Snooze Button
    Time out of Bed: 5:04
    PASS 8/42
  2. Run Faster
    3 Mile: (Current) XX:xx -> (Goal) 29:00
    1 Mile: (Current) 9:25 -> (Goal) 9:00
    400: (Current) 1:49 -> (Goal) 1:40
    200: (Current) :44 -> (Goal) :39
    Workout:
    Running (Intervals/Sprints):
    1:58 || 0.25 mi || Sprint (+147 pts)
    1:52 || 0.25 mi || Sprint (+147 pts)
    1:49 || 0.25 mi || Sprint (+147 pts)
    1:55 || 0.25 mi || Sprint (+147 pts)
    pretty mediocre day >:(
    Push-Up:
    9 reps (+17 pts)
    10 reps (+19 pts)
    9 reps (+17 pts)
    6 reps (+11 pts)
  3. Macros, Ahoy!
    Protein: Terribad. No idea. 12 hrs of straight meetings/crazyness. Barely thought about eating other than grabbing whatever was sitting on various breakroom tables today.
    Carbs:
    Fat:
    FAIL 6/42

Life

1. No Spending the Moneys!
    Amount Spent Unnecessarily: 0
    PASS

Also:

Man, I feel like I was just reading your thread yeterday. Nope. Missed like the entire challenge. It is exciting to see you knocking the alarm clock out of the park. I have only set more than one alarm a few times, and it's when I have REALLY early business trip flights where I'm afraid if I missed the flight I'd get fired. The second alarm helps me sleep better because I get a little OCD right before trips.

Your workouts look like they're going well. And your running makes me want to start timing my runs. I know I'm not quite there, yet, though, so I'm trying to just get to where I enjoy running before I start worrying about time. But I like how you watch all of the different shorter distances.

I hope you don't get shin splints. Ugh. Worse than DOMS.

Get some sleep! You're making me tired! :)

Clawed_Bear, you're an apropos link droppin' boss! I love it :)

Get some epsom in? I was convinced my hamstring DOMS would never leave. It appears to have finally gone. Either that or I'm just so out of it I don't notice. Not sure which. Lacrosse ball, FTW!

And seriously. I'm a 'morning person' but I don't think I would be if I were waking up before 5 am. Gold star!

maybe you should edit your "kill the snooze button" goal depending on how much you work. like, if you work at 12 hr day, and CAN get 8-9hrs of sleep and get up at 8am feasibly, do it.

maybe you should edit your "kill the snooze button" goal depending on how much you work. like, if you work at 12 hr day, and CAN get 8-9hrs of sleep and get up at 8am feasibly, do it.

This is a great idea. And honestly, I kind of did that this morning. I was in bed by 11 but I could just feel the need for like 11 hrs of sleep. I still got up at 5, puttered around, had coffee, and then went: this is ridiculous. Recovery is important, too, and caught another 2 hours of sleep (snooze-free! I might add :))

also:

27764165.jpg

Edited by concretecavewoman

This is a great idea. And honestly, I kind of did that this morning. I was in bed by 11 but I could just feel the need for like 11 hrs of sleep. I still got up at 5, puttered around, had coffee, and then went: this is ridiculous. Recovery is important, too, and caught another 2 hours of sleep (snooze-free! I might add :))

also:

27764165.jpg

Glad you got some sleep in! Recovery definitely trumps waking up early, imo. You seem to have a great handle on it so when it happens, go for it!

HAHAHAHAHAHA Seriously. My job would be more awesome if I could wear yoga pants to work.

Man, I feel like I was just reading your thread yeterday. Nope. Missed like the entire challenge. It is exciting to see you knocking the alarm clock out of the park. I have only set more than one alarm a few times, and it's when I have REALLY early business trip flights where I'm afraid if I missed the flight I'd get fired. The second alarm helps me sleep better because I get a little OCD right before trips.

Your workouts look like they're going well. And your running makes me want to start timing my runs. I know I'm not quite there, yet, though, so I'm trying to just get to where I enjoy running before I start worrying about time. But I like how you watch all of the different shorter distances.

I hope you don't get shin splints. Ugh. Worse than DOMS.

Get some sleep! You're making me tired! :)

Thanks!! Haha, I totally do the same thing on business trips. 18 alarms later...

Love this! I dealt with awful anterior splints several years ago and haven't had to address it since, but I'm guessing the increased sprinting plus mad box jumps the other day aggravated things. I did a crapton of plantar rolling last night with the golf ball and mulligan and that seemed to help. Haha, I wonder if anyone will notice if I do those anterior compartment stretches in my office.

Clawed_Bear, you're an apropos link droppin' boss! I love it

Get some epsom in? I was convinced my hamstring DOMS would never leave. It appears to have finally gone. Either that or I'm just so out of it I don't notice. Not sure which. Lacrosse ball, FTW!

And seriously. I'm a 'morning person' but I don't think I would be if I were waking up before 5 am. Gold star!

Totally did NOt manage to go buy salts last night. Totally WILL tonight.

This. Keep the "don't hit the snooze button" part but let yourself set the alarm for 8am when you have to.

So yeahhhhh this week got kinda crazy. Basically the whole month of october is gonna be shot, work-wise, and I'm planning on 12 hour days for the next few weeks. This is gonna make good sleep and good food all the more important, but the latter half of the week sucked while I reacted to the ramp up of work. Also, my shins were definitely bugging me so I guess it was a forced layoff. I've dealt with pretty severe splints before so I don't want to risk it again. I think I've just about rested them off but I'll give it one more day of being chill.

Summary of 10/3 - 10/5

Wow, I feel like I've been off the wagon terribly, when really it was just 3 days and I was back at it on Saturday. Hm, guess it seemed longer.

Well, work is still crazy but I am committed to managing my health and fitness goals despite it!

Fitness

Time out of Bed: Passed every day!!!!
    PASS 11/42
  2. Run Faster
    Ugh, didn't do any workouts. My posterior shin was bothering me quite a bit. Regardless of what I was doing, every few minutes I would feel a deep ache in the muscle along the bone. It's finally feeling better as of today, but I'm super paranoid having dealt with shin splits too many times before.
  3. Macros, Ahoy!
    Didn't even come close. Too many 12+ hr days, not being planned or prepared.
    Protein:
    Carbs:
    Fat:
    FAIL WHALE 6/42

Life

Spending all my time at work is helping this one :)
    PASS

Threw a part Friday night. Didn't drink at all and, oddly enough, felt much better the next day than I normally do after throwing a party :) Still, partook of the gluten and felt terrible in that regard. Made it to the gym. Rather than doing anything jumping/running-involved did some straight up strength work.

Also, for the sake of accountability, I'm going to start recording what I eat in addition to macros.

Fitness

Time out of Bed: 7am. Weekend, yay!
    PASS 12/42
  2. Run Faster
    Sigh... I want to run again.
    Barbell Squat:
    45 lb x 5 reps (+46 pts)
    65 lb x 5 reps (+53 pts)
    95 lb x 5 reps (+65 pts)
    95 lb x 5 reps (+65 pts)
    95 lb x 5 reps (+65 pts)
    95 lb x 5 reps (+65 pts)
    95 lb x 5 reps (+65 pts)
    Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP):
    45 lb x 7 reps (+71 pts)
    55 lb x 7 reps (+76 pts)
    65 lb x 5 reps (+73 pts)
    65 lb x 3 reps (+59 pts)
    65 lb x 2 reps (+50 pts)
    65 lb x 2 reps (+50 pts)
    65 lb x 3 reps (+59 pts)
    Barbell Deadlift:
    45 lb x 5 reps (+46 pts)
    95 lb x 5 reps (+65 pts)
    115 lb x 5 reps (+75 pts)
    135 lb x 5 reps (+85 pts)
    135 lb x 5 reps (+85 pts)
    145 lb x 5 reps (+91 pts)
    150 lb x 2 reps (+64 pts)
    150 lb x 2 reps (+64 pts)
  3. Macros, Ahoy!
    Protein:
    Carbs:
    Fat:
    FAIL 6/42
    Lunch: Ramen with konnyaku (sweet potato) noodles, pork, and egg
    Dinner: protein pancakes, peach, greek yogurt
    Snack: 1 oz almonds
    Snack: Brownie <-where it all broke down.

Life

PASS

Fitness

Time out of Bed: 8am on a sunday?!
    PASS 13/42
  2. Run Faster
  3. Macros, Ahoy!
    Protein: 137
    Carbs: 120
    Fat:60
    PASS 7/42

Life

PASS

Good monday. Lifted this morning, productive day at work, ate well, getting ready for bed at an excellently early hour. I'm laying off crossfit/running til this calf of mine feels better. It has been incrementally improving each day so I'm going to play it safe and go easy til maybe Thursday.

Fitness

Time out of Bed: 5:10, yeah.
    PASS 14/42
  2. Run Faster
    Workout
    Barbell Squat:
    45 lb x 5 reps (+46 pts)
    65 lb x 5 reps (+53 pts)
    100 lb x 5 reps (+67 pts)
    Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP):
    45 lb x 7 reps (+71 pts)
    55 lb x 5 reps (+69 pts)
    65 lb x 5 reps (+73 pts)
    65 lb x 5 reps (+73 pts)
    65 lb x 5 reps (+73 pts)
    65 lb x 5 reps (+73 pts)
    65 lb x 5 reps (+73 pts)
    45 lb x 8 reps (+73 pts)
    Hyperextension:
    30 reps (+5 pts)
    26 reps (+5 pts)
    24 reps (+5 pts)
    Walking:
    1:20:00 || 4 mi (+147 pts)
    Sit-Up:
    57 reps (+37 pts)
    63 reps (+40 pts)
    60 reps (+39 pts)
  3. Macros, Ahoy!
    Protein: 86
    Carbs: 52
    Fat: 57
    PASS 8/42 Pretty short on cals today but after a lackluster last week I'm ok with a shorter day.

Life

PASS

wow massive updates :) good job!

also, you knew work was going to be crazy. maybe you can do something (prep food in advance?) to help you meet your macros? i don't know what your situation is though, so this could be a dumb suggestion.

wow massive updates :) good job!

also, you knew work was going to be crazy. maybe you can do something (prep food in advance?) to help you meet your macros? i don't know what your situation is though, so this could be a dumb suggestion.

Not a dumb suggestion, it's exactly what I need to do! I spent most of yesterday afternoon prepping piles of meat and veg so that falling off the wagon is literally impossible (ok maybe not -impossible-, but at least not excusable ;))

1. I fail for this being my first comment on your challenge... D'OH!

2. I wanted to share my squat training schedule with you. This is more than likely the reason I don't plateau. I must advise that this is a specific training schedule for Olympic Lifting, and is in addition to other training, but I thought you might like to see it. The main thing to notice is that we do not max out every lifting session... Also, the numbers listed are only working sets. You have to build up to your working set weight and then do what is listed.

Go to this site: alongthelinesof.com/2012/08/12/squats-revised/ and click on the link for the excel document if you would like to see the schedule.

Ciao bella!

Yesssssssss... I love it when people post their food. I want to eat all the food! :)

It's better to rest than workout when injured and end up seriously injured. So, I wouldn't feel bad about that. I hope the prep helps in terms of making food at work more balanced!

Long freaking day. But you know what? I nailed it on the food and exercise, yeeeeeeeeah! Calf is feeling incrementally better, but I WON'T test it til Thursday.

Celebrating the little successes:

216384786.jpg

Fitness

Time out of Bed: 5:30, no snooze :)
    PASS 15/42
  2. Run Faster
    Workout:
    Two-Arm Kettlebell Swing:
    35 lb x 41 reps (+72 pts)
    35 lb x 40 reps (+71 pts)
    35 lb x 27 reps (+59 pts)
    35 lb x 31 reps (+63 pts)
    35 lb x 33 reps (+65 pts)
    35 lb x 22 reps (+54 pts)
    35 lb x 14 reps (+47 pts)
    Push-Up:
    10 reps (+19 pts)
    9 reps (+17 pts)
    9 reps (+17 pts)
    12 reps (+23 pts)
  3. Macros, Ahoy!
    Protein: 150
    Carbs:100
    Fat:50
    PASS 9/42
    Lunch: Chicken breast, chicken leg, 3 c salad with no dressing
    Snack: Apple, 2 oz buffalo jerky
    Dinner: Roasted chicken breast with skin, another 3 c of salad with some crumbled proschiutto, shredded beets. about a dozen almonds, 3 dried apricots, and 4 small fresh figs.

Life

PASS

Nice workout! And here's to your calf healing. I hate calf injuries. :(

Thanks! Me too :( My calves are definitely my weak point (you might even call them.... my acchilles heel! sorry...) Several years ago I had really bad shin splits, then I jacked up my heel a couple years ago barefoot running, so I should definitely take better care of them than I do (mobilizations, massage, etc).

1. I fail for this being my first comment on your challenge... D'OH!

2. I wanted to share my squat training schedule with you. This is more than likely the reason I don't plateau. I must advise that this is a specific training schedule for Olympic Lifting, and is in addition to other training, but I thought you might like to see it. The main thing to notice is that we do not max out every lifting session... Also, the numbers listed are only working sets. You have to build up to your working set weight and then do what is listed.

Go to this site: alongthelinesof.com/2012/08/12/squats-revised/ and click on the link for the excel document if you would like to see the schedule.

Ciao bella!

Thank you, this is awesome info!! I aspire to your levels of strength someday :) For now, I'll settle for a 160 squat goal.

Yesssssssss... I love it when people post their food. I want to eat all the food!

It's better to rest than workout when injured and end up seriously injured. So, I wouldn't feel bad about that. I hope the prep helps in terms of making food at work more balanced!

Indeed, the prep has been super helpful, the last few days have been SPOT ON. Also, I think I just ate all the food. Urk.