drsloomis - attacking life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naieve incompetence

drsloomis

Fell off the face of the planet during the second half of the last challenge, but am coming back with a vengeance for this one!

FIT GOAL 1 - Whole30 (CON +2)

Start and complete Whole30 program during the challenge. I've hit some diet / fitness plateaus that I think require some drastic measures to break through.

A = Finish 30 day program

B = 25

C = 20

D = 15

F = <10

FIT GOAL 2 - Improve Flexibility & Focus (DEX +4)

Looking to loosen up a bit and add something more "meditative" to my routines. At the recommendation of a friend, I'll be adding some Tai Cheng to my rotation and increasing my Yoga to a minimum of twice a week (three whenever possible...gotta master those crow variations for PUP pictures!!!). This will be an averaged grade (for example, 10 yoga sessions = B and 6 Tai Cheng sessions = D for a C average).

A = 12 yoga sessions / 12 Tai Cheng

B = 10 yoga / 10 Tai Cheng

C = 8 yoga / 8 Tai Cheng

D = 6 yoga / 6 Tai Cheng

F = <6 of either

FIT GOAL 3 - Get body fat % below 20% (STR +2, DEX +2)

This will hopefully naturally follow from the diet and exercise pieces above. This is one of those plateaus that I mentioned earlier, and I would really love to break through this one in a big way.

Scale to follow from starting stats

LIFE GOAL - Read & Write (WIS +3)

Infinite Jest has been sitting on my bedside table--first literally, then virtually--for nearly six months now, and it's been on my "to read" list forever. Time to get it done! Also, I used to write regular movie reviews (I'll post some samples this weekend) and poetry, and I've gotten WAY out of the habit of writing--I want to complete 6 reviews and 2 narrative pieces (poems, short stories, novel chapters) for this challenge.

A = Finish IJ; 6 reviews / 2 narrative pieces

B = 75% of IJ; 5 reviews / 2 narrative pieces

C = 50% IJ; 4 reviews / 1 narrative piece

D = 25% IJ; 3 reviews / 1 narrative piece

F = Less than above.\

Bonus Life Goal

Make and KEEP a dentist appointment (WIS TEETH -2)

Laugh it up, fuzzball, but I LOATHE going to the dentist. I've been putting off my pseudo-semi-every-once-in-a-while visit for nearly a year. No points awarded, but I figure posting it here might actually motivate me to get it done.

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

Cool goals! I like the writing goal (maybe something I'll steal in the future!) Looking forward to seeing some samples.

I hate the dentist, too...(Does anyone LOVE the dentist?) I've had luck with focusing on my breathing (long, deep, slow breaths through the nose) while they're working in there. Good luck!

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

I'm doing the Whole 30 this time too. Shouldn't be too tough theoretically since I eat Paleo a good 90% of the time. But the no sugar for 30 days is what makes it tough for me

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Officially started my challenge this morning with AM Yoga. Rodney Yee's a Yogi Badass and his routines range from challenging to truly relaxing. This morning was standing poses (Triangle, Side Angle, Warrior 1-2-3, Tree, etc.), which isn't a bad way to start the day. This afternoon's workout is Chest Back & Balance--lots of pull-up variations and push-ups on med balls. NOT looking forward to it, though it should help with the pull-up PVP challenge. ;)

Gearing up for Whole30. I don't think it's going to be CRAZY difficult, but it is going to take some willpower. The good news is that my wife is doing it with me, so I won't be eating alone for 30 days. The way I see it, if I can get through the first week, I'll be fine.

...at least that's what I'm telling myself...

Current Challenge

Thanks for the encouragement! My plan is to make the call this week to make the appointment. My dentist knows I hate him...well, not him really, but everything he represents...so he usually tries to work me in pretty quickly when I call for fear that I'll bail if I think about it for too long. ;)

Today's workout--move from one to the other as a circuit with breaks as noted

X Pull-Ups - 8

Plyo Stability Ball Push-Ups - 10

Core Crunch Chin-Ups - 6

Push-Up Side Arm Balance on Med Balls - 10

Lever Pull-ups - 6

4-med ball push-ups - 12

Switch grip Chin-up / Pull-up - 12

(Im)possibles (hands on a med ball, feet on a stability ball) - 8

L pull-ups - 6

3-med ball plyo push-ups (switch left to right) - 10

***Water Break***

Vaulter Pull-up - 8

Elevated Stability Ball push-up - 8

In & Out Pull-ups (Wide to Narrow Grip) - 8

Swimmer's Push-up - 8

4-grip pull-up (wide, palm to palm, close grip, reverse grip) - 8

Double wide push-up - 10

Double Wide pull-up - 6

Chattarocker - 6

Towel Pull-ups - 8

Med Ball Plyo Push-ups - 8

Followed it up with a core workout:

Scissor Twists - 16

Row Your Boats - 16

Superman Banana X - 16

Oblique Roll Crunch - 10

Roll V Hold - 10

Abrinome - 6

Gate Bridge Lift - 8

Phelon Twist - 6

Scissor Clapper - 30

Tornado - 10

Balance Bike Crunch - 10

Tough workout, especially given that nearly every move involves your core to a pretty extensive degree. I'll feel it tomorrow, no doubt.

Read the forward to Infinte Jest and started gathering some of my old writings:

Poetry & Fiction

Movie Reviews

These are pretty old (and some of it not very good), but adding my old stuff will help inspire me to write new stuff.

Tomorrow's workout:

AM Yoga Twists

PM Plyometrics

Current Challenge

Dang. That's an intense workout. Lots of exercises I don't know.

What's an (Im)possible? Do you do a push-up from that position (med. ball/stability ball)?

Yep. Getting into the position is hard...doing push-ups balanced on a med ball and a stability ball without face-planting is harder! It works your core like nobody's business.

Current Challenge

Today's workout was shoulders & arms...four three move circuits (each circuit done twice) separated by breaks. Sounds more complicated than it is--circuits and numbers down below for those interested. Felt good throughout and am continuing to see body-shaping progress. Hopefully starting Whole30 will kick me over the edge of this weight / body fat plateau I seem to have gotten very stuck on.

Speaking of Whole30, finished the Whole30 book and started finalizing our shopping list for this weekend. Actually starting to look forward to it. Also finished 40 pages of Infinite Jest...gonna have to read around 30-35 pages a day just to finish by the end of the challenge (and holy crap! that type is small). No yoga or Tai Cheng today, but have yoga scheduled as my primary workout tomorrow.

Looking forward to lots of movies in the theater this weekend (including The Master, Looper, End of Watch, and Dredd--yeah, I go to the movies a LOT) and, more importantly, Lawrence of Arabia next Thursday...one of my favorite movies. Planning on writing reviews of at least some of them to get back in the writing habit.

More to come!!!

Workout circuits and numbers

A

Shoulder Presses 16r @ 20#

In Out Curls 16r @ 20#

Tricep Kickbacks 16r @ 15#

Shoulder Presses 16r @ 20#

In Out Curls 16r @ 20#

Tricep Kickbacks 16r @ 15#

B

Deep Swimmer Press 16r @ 20#

Full Supination Concentration Curls 16r @ 20#

Chair Dips (straight, one leg, alternating every 5) 30

Deep Swimmer Press 16r @ 20#

Full Supination Concentration Curls 16r @ 20#

Chair Dips (straight, one leg, alternating every 5) 30

C

Upright Row 16r @ 15#

Static Arm Curls 16r @ 15#

Flip Grip Triceps Kickbacks 16r @ 15#

Upright Rows 16r @ 20#

Static Arm Curls 16r @ 20#

Flip Grip Triceps Kickbacks 16r @ 15#

D

Seated Two Angle Shoulder Flys 16r @ 15#

Congdon Curls 16r @ 20#

Lying Down Tricep Extensions 16r @ 20#

Seated Two Angle Shoulder Flys 16r @ 15#

Congdon Curls 16r @ 20#

Lying Down Tricep Extensions 16r @ 20#

Current Challenge

Rocked yoga this evening like an NFL replacement ref--half-blind, but totally committed. Fighting off allergy something or other, so my head was spinning most of the time. That said, I'm really glad to be focusing on stretching this challenge, given that I currently have the flexibility of California redwood (though it helps with tree pose).

Off to read...

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines