HeathBar re-learns the basics Featuring Mr. T

HeathBar

Week 3 wrap up

Ran my second 5k today! Whoo-hoo! I didn't run the whole way this time but used more of a walk/sprint strategy. My time was a sad 38 minutes. Oh well, I'm not really a runner so I'm just happy to have finished.

384361_4680966993226_2003276740_n_zpsc6e82264.jpg

Goal Progress:

Calorie Tracking: 6/6 some days weren't pretty but I tracked them anyways.

Workouts: 2/3, one lifting session plus the race. I had to skip a gym day due to 3 major tests and a quiz this week. Mr. T wasn't pleased with my excuse....

lens12567281_1281104759Mr_T_Snarl.jpg

Paelo-sih: 4/6, too many non-home cooked meals this week due to lack of groceries.

School: Doing good! Got a 100% on my pharmacy calculations test and a 95% on my physiology. Took another test on Friday for principals of drug actions which I think I did well on but won't find out until next week. Next week will also be a busy one, I have a big midterm on Monday and another one on Friday.

I also have a Big announcement!!! I'm going to do the Miami WARRIOR DASH in November 10! YAY!!!!! Some friends from school are forming a team and we're all going to try to raise as much money as possible for St. Jude's as a philanthropy project. So far I've already raised $350, woot! This is a big deal for me since I've wanted to do one of these types of events for a long time but didn't have the courage to sign up. Now that I have other people willing to do it with me it was just the push I needed.

If anyone is in the giving mood I'd love even the smallest donation, my page is HERE

Level 6 Half-Pony Warrior Assassin
STR 9.5 | DEX 6 | STA 12.5 | CON 12.5 | WIS 15.5 | CHA 13.5
Current Challenge: Working out for two

"Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something" - Jake the Dog

Been feeling really down on myself lately for going over on my calories everyday. I thought tracking them daily would help me eat less but instead it's just making me feel guilty about everything I put in my mouth. A stupid bagel I had after my 5k made me feel like shit (emotionally) all day, WTF!! I'm pretty sure that's not normal!!!

I went back through my food journal and realized most days I'm actually eating around maintenance calories so there isn't even a reason for me to be that upset. I changed my calories goal to maintenance so I stop this stupid downward spiral of food guilt. Next challenge I think I'm going to finally let go of calorie tracking and experiment with just eating paelo and trying to eat reasonably like a normal person. After tracking my calories for over a year (maybe even 2 years now?) I think it's starting to really mess with my head.

/endvent

"Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something" - Jake the Dog

Had a nice gym day :)

Elliptical Trainer:

0:05:00 (+19 pts)

Barbell Squat:

**I seem to be progressing in the wrong direction here :( Was at 115 previously but not lifting 3 times a week has really taken it's toll.

45 lb x 10 reps (+55 pts)

65 lb x 5 reps (+53 pts)

85 lb x 5 reps (+61 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+65 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+65 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+65 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+65 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+65 pts)

Clean and Press:

**Wanted/planned to bench today but two idoits were using the bench presses to do some sort of weird curl/press thingy. Grr!!! So cleans and presses it was instead. I really like this lift, so much fun and leaves me dripping in sweat.

75 lb x 5 reps (+114 pts)

75 lb x 3 reps (+92 pts)

75 lb x 3 reps (+92 pts)

Pendlay Row:

**I can't even remember the last time I did these, it's probably a bad thing. 85lbs felt pretty good though.

75 lb x 5 reps (+43 pts)

85 lb x 5 reps (+46 pts)

85 lb x 5 reps (+46 pts)

85 lb x 5 reps (+46 pts)

85 lb x 5 reps (+46 pts)

85 lb x 5 reps (+46 pts)

Feeling much better about my food intake now that I've adjusted my calories on MFP and stopped beating myself up about little slip ups.

Feeling much better about my food intake now that I've adjusted my calories on MFP and stopped beating myself up about little slip ups.

Good! Feeling bad about eating doesn't do you any good! Plus, you're a lifter, eating is a big part of that!

Fantastic workout! Sorry your squats are hurting, maybe it's just a lull. I randomly did pendlay rows Monday too, I had been doing one armed rows, due to boredom with the Pendlay's. Keep up the good work!

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Been feeling really down on myself lately for going over on my calories everyday. I thought tracking them daily would help me eat less but instead it's just making me feel guilty about everything I put in my mouth. A stupid bagel I had after my 5k made me feel like shit (emotionally) all day, WTF!! I'm pretty sure that's not normal!!!

I went back through my food journal and realized most days I'm actually eating around maintenance calories so there isn't even a reason for me to be that upset. I changed my calories goal to maintenance so I stop this stupid downward spiral of food guilt. Next challenge I think I'm going to finally let go of calorie tracking and experiment with just eating paelo and trying to eat reasonably like a normal person. After tracking my calories for over a year (maybe even 2 years now?) I think it's starting to really mess with my head.

/endvent

The fact that you're noticing the emotional toll is a good thing. I've been struggling a bit too since my Whole30, I've allowed myself to slip into some old habits and started feeling really down about it. Especially since my skin started breaking out again. I think taking a break from tracking cals might be a good (if scary) step to take, try to let go of the emotions and just focus on nourishing your body. I need to do the same with the food choices, get back to the basic paleo ideas and quit stressing. We can do it!

I totally support trying to eat like a reasonable person instead of counting calories and tracking everything, especially when doing so makes you crazy. (And really, since you've been tracking for a while, you can probably estimate calories for most things in your head by now, so you can still have a rough estimate of whether or not you should eat more.)

The fact that you're noticing the emotional toll is a good thing. I've been struggling a bit too since my Whole30, I've allowed myself to slip into some old habits and started feeling really down about it. Especially since my skin started breaking out again. I think taking a break from tracking cals might be a good (if scary) step to take, try to let go of the emotions and just focus on nourishing your body. I need to do the same with the food choices, get back to the basic paleo ideas and quit stressing. We can do it!

Thanks Heather. Food stuff is always a struggle for me each challenge. I think taking the focus off the numbers will be a very uplifting experience for me.

I totally support trying to eat like a reasonable person instead of counting calories and tracking everything, especially when doing so makes you crazy. (And really, since you've been tracking for a while, you can probably estimate calories for most things in your head by now, so you can still have a rough estimate of whether or not you should eat more.)

Reasonable and eating, I'm not sure those two words go well together for me lol. But ya, I can pretty much do a good estimate in my head now from tracking for so long. I know when I'm eating properly and when I'm being a piggy.

Speaking of food, anyone any good paleo recipe website recommendations, my dinners are starting to get a little boring. I'm also looking for homemade protein bar recipies for a bake sale I'm doing in a couple weeks :)

Week 4 wrap up

Calorie Tracking: 5/7, half tracked a couple days, because meh.

Workouts 4/3, bonus! Only 1 lifting day though, the others were a 3 mile walk, a 2 mile run and a 30 minute run/walk interval workout.

Paleo-ish eating 5/7, couple days I had very carbilicious subway footlong and yesterday I had multiple hamburger buns (for shame!)

School Doing amazing here :) I have one more big test on Monday then I get a nice little breather during our fall break. It's only a couple days but I'll take anything at this time.

Also, I'm so happy I manged to raise $500 for St. Jude already. My friends are family are so amazing and supportive!!!!

T'was a good day at the gym :D

Barbell Squat: 5x5x110 here I come!

75 lb x 5 reps (+57 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+65 pts)

105 lb x 5 reps (+70 pts)

Barbell Bench Press:

55 lb x 5 reps (+50 pts)

65 lb x 5 reps (+53 pts)

70 lb x 5 reps (+55 pts)

70 lb x 5 reps (+55 pts)

70 lb x 5 reps (+55 pts)

70 lb x 5 reps (+55 pts)

70 lb x 5 reps (+55 pts)

Barbell Deadlift: Had to work my DL's with someone else so I just went with the weight they were using :/

135 lb x 5 reps (+85 pts)

Running (treadmill):

0:30:00 || 3 mi (+290 pts)

Rowing (machine):

0:05:00 (+44 pts)

Smashing it! Well done :)

My tip for the day: If you're having crazy food cravings, if you really can't push them aside, just have a little.. Find the smallest portion you can buy, it's better to give in a little than collapse after fighting it for too long :P

Helps me out!

Keep up the amazing work.

[TABLE=width: 500]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Elf

​Height: 6"3

Weight: 161 lb

1 Rep Max:

Bench - 137 lb

Squat - 128 lb

Dead. - 277 lb

Level 1 Warrior

| STR 2

| DEX 2

| STA 2

| CON 4

| WIS 4

| CHA 1

[/TABLE]

Smashing it! Well done :)

My tip for the day: If you're having crazy food cravings, if you really can't push them aside, just have a little.. Find the smallest portion you can buy, it's better to give in a little than collapse after fighting it for too long :P

Helps me out!

Keep up the amazing work.

Thanks for the tip! I've definitely been trying to do this and it's been working well, for my sanity level at least :)

Good news so far for this week is my squat is back up to 110lbs 5x5. That means I should attempt 115 next week *gulp*

I also got some good news at school, I'm doing so well in my classes that I have been approved to be a peer tutor for my classmates. The best part is the school is going to pay me for my time as well.

It's kinda surreal going from being a high school drop out to tutoring graduate level classes. That's what perseverance and hard work will do for ya I suppose!

You know who Mr. T pities? THE FOOL WHO MISSES THE AWESOME MR. T CHALLENGE THREAD!

Great challenge :) And great goals. I'm glad you made some good decisions regarding your calories. Congrats on the 5ks, the upcoming race and all the awesome school stuff!

Keep up the good work! Mr. T is going to need someone else to pity soon!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

By now I think Mr T is pitying himself as the fool seeing all this awesomeness.

Great going on the school stuff - as you say, hard work and perseverence, plus a strong dose of doing that which interests you is a winning combination.

Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air.
They are where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them
. - Henry David Thoreau

D'Aww thanks guys. I'd hate to put Mr. T back on the job market in this economy but *shrug* oh well :P

Week 5 wrap up:

Calorie Tracking2/7 - long hair, don't care lol

I guess now that I realize how much tracking calories messes with my head I don't even want to do it anymore. I think I'll stick with it this last week by eating what I think is right then putting it into the log at the end of the day; just to kinda grade myself.

Paleo-ish 4/7, kinda slacked off due to no food in the house and no time to go shopping. Did pretty well after I went shopping. Except for yesterday at lunch time. I went on a baking spree for a bake sale I'm coordinating. I guess those little nibbles at the cookie dough added up. Needless to say I got a little ill and completely spoiled my appetite until later that evening. Oppsies, I guess I can't control myself around cookie dough. And mint chocolate chip cookie dough none the less! The good news is the cookies came out epically delicious. Hopefully they will all sell so I'm not temped to eat anymore :P Damn cookies twisted my arm I tell ya!!! hehe

Workouts 3/3 - with bonus weight progress. w00t!

School Currently enjoying fall break, yippeeee!!! Back to class tomorrow though.

13 days until my Warrior Dash! I think I'm more nervous about driving down to Miami and dealing with all those people then doing the actual event. Is that weird? #sociallyakward

I think it's good that you are more nervous about the drive to miami more than the race. It shows confidence in your fitness levels.

Cookie dough could be a weakness for all of us I think, ha!

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

I can't believe this challenge is almost over! They always go by so quickly. I'm ready for my next set of goals though, I know finding a way to eat like a normal person will be top on my list. I need to find the balance between obsessively counting calories and eating like a piggy.

I've been all over the place this week with my eating, balance was not in my vocabulary. I've had a couple really great days where I stayed on track ate the right things and felt good. Then I had a couple days, like yesterday and Halloween, where my lunch and dinner consisted of candy bars and cookies. I don't think I've eaten only candy and cookies as a meal since I was a teenager. Mr. T was definitely pitying my foolishness. The remaining candy has all been banished and the cookies all given away. I have a frig full of great whole food so now it's time to stick with the plan and eat it.

Speaking of Halloween... I want to show off my awesome Adventure Time costume! My husband (aka fellow NF member, Kyliewyotie) was Finn the human and I was Jake the dog. I love Halloween :)

FinnandJake.jpg

Technically this is still the last day so I just wanted to brag about my awesome workout today. 115lb squats 5x5, I'm not sure if I've ever done a 5x5 squat set with that much weight before. Also, DL'd 175, which is a new PR for me! I probably could have done more at a 1 rep max kinda thing but I was starting to get tired and hungry. Left the gym feeling pretty bad-ass :P

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 5 reps (+46 pts)

65 lb x 5 reps (+53 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+65 pts)

115 lb x 5 reps (+75 pts)woot-sauce!

115 lb x 5 reps (+75 pts)

Clean and Press:

70 lb x 5 reps (+111 pts)

Barbell Deadlift:

145 lb x 5 reps (+91 pts)

155 lb x 1 reps (+53 pts)

165 lb x 1 reps (+57 pts)

175 lb x 1 reps (+61 pts)

175 lb x 1 reps (+61 pts)Yeah buddy!!

Plank:

30 sec (+13 pts)

30 sec (+13 pts)

30 sec (+13 pts)

Rowing (machine):

0:05:00 || 500 m (+44 pts)

Yay! I love halloween! I didn't realize your hubs was a NFer, too! Hi HUBS!

Honestly, the big thing that helped me with the whole eating thing was starting IF. Granted, I've been doing IF for a while and this is a new development. However, the IF helped with the "am I really hungry" thing and the will power thing. So, if it's something you think you could attempt, I would recommend it. OR you could try setting certain times to eat during the day that are not your current eat times. The body gets used to when you eat so it sends you the "hey, it's time to eat" signal regardless of whether or not you're hungry. So, that's a thought/idea. Otherwise, just keep on keeping on and I think it could happen. Like i said before, it took me by surprise. I never, ever thought I'd be one of those people who can just eat like a normal person. I'm pretty stoked.

Regardless, good luck next go 'round! I can't wait to see!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADventure time! Great costumes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

STR: 14.5 DEX: 7 STA: 12.5 CON: 8 WIS: 9.5 CHA: 5

Out of 100 men in battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are real fighters,

Ah, but the one,

One of them is the WARRIOR, And he will bring the others back.

- Hericletus 500 BC

Isaiah 40:31 "..but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines