PK Climb Up.... help!

So,

I've dedicated myself to picking one aspect of parkour to practice for each challenge. Last challenge it was the roll, now it's the climb up. Here is my info from the challenge thread

#2 - PK climb ups... OI.. Well Here is what I'm using for my training on this. In all honesty I "sort " of been practicing this for a little while now. As I said though I can't find a good place outside to do this. Where I have practiced has actually been on the outer bathroom stall wall(ya know those blue walls) at work LOL.. I have yet to be able to fully lift myself over the top yet, even following the advice of pushing in with the legs etc. I think I need to get the technique down.

This is one of the video's i'm using for this -

also these two for training/conditioning of the climb-up

http://youtu.be/IYaLX9Y8SA4

http://youtu.be/KRDEJYqLmfc

and of course the great pdf tutorial from http://parkourpedia.com/technique/climbup-progression-1

are these resources good, can you show me any better videos and links? Any tips on where to look to find a good wall to practice on. Also any tips on doing the actual move itself.

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

Hey dude, im currently putting together a climb up tutorial script so hopefully ill have some video for you soon, but in the meantime my suggestions would be:

1) dont worry about "over grip" style climb ups, its a bad habit to get into and it actually makes the leg drive harder. Plus its dangerous (can pull bricks off walls etc).

2) legs right up under you, one slightly higher than the other, and really push out from the wall. Its hard to see this in videos sometimes, but really push yourself away from the wall. Think kipping pull up style movement, push away and pull in.

3) if you cant get the full pop up, try to just get one elbow/forearm up and flat along the top of the wall. Then place your other hand and push down. This is like the 'chicken wing' motion seen when progressing to muscle ups, and it serves the same function by providing more mechanical advantage.

4) with the pull, even when youre not 'chicken winging', dont aim for lockout, aim for chest to top, then push up (like a dip). The further you get your chest across the top, the easier it will be to push up (within reason, dont overbalance if its a thin wall).

Tldr; break it into 3 moves; push with feet, pull with arms, push with arms. Use your chest/elbow to gain mechanical advantage while building up technique and strength. Good luck!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

Thanks Azsf! the parkour pedia has the climb up at two levels.. it looks like it will be tough for me to go right to the non over grip climb up.. yet I may not be able to find a wall with a grip anyways. Thank you for the advice. I think the kipping push/pull thing is something I've not heard before and it seems to make sense. I'm gonna try that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha

so it seems my biggest challenge so far is FINDING a place to practice climb-ups in peace lol

So this morning I went out searching for a spot to do climb ups. The abandoned gas station did have a no trespassing sign and the entrances are blocked so that's a no go. I took a few pictures of some promising spots.

[ATTACH]5519[/ATTACH]

So this wall seems decent on the other side the pavement comes right up to the wall. I actually made a few attempts. This was the first time I ever tried a climb up on a thick wall I couldn't wrap my hands over... That stuff is hard to even keep a grip on to the wall let alone pulling up.

Here are some places I saw as possible as well

[ATTACH]5520[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5521[/ATTACH]

This last wall seems promising, I didn't stop and try because there were target workers out back there. There was this spot behind target and another behind lowes that seemed good.

[ATTACH]5522[/ATTACH]

I came into contact with more cars and people then I thought I would at 6:15 in the morning, including security at the mall, and here am I in my black sweatpants and black hoodie lol, felt like I was being devious. Being Someone who is in a professional position for the state, I get very Leary about this kind of stuff, last thing I need is to get arrested or harassed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So coming home from Kung fu I decided to stop by behind target( the last pic above) and try a few climb ups. I think the thing that hurt me the most was not the fact that I couldn't do an over grip but the fact that my feet kept slipping.

I would do the leap and get into the position of I think cat, on the wall, and before of during my attempt to push the feet there go my feet sliding down the wall.. How do I combat this other then speed and momentum?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Get your feet up higher, remember to keep your arms straight (not locked though) as you go up. Work high pull ups and deep dips.

straight but not locked.. hmm.. thanks for the advice!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Feet up high is the most important thing. get them higher then you think you need. the idea is to start your pull then push out. so your feet need to be high enough that they're still flat against the wall during your pull. just keep trying, find what works for you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

Feet up high is the most important thing. get them higher then you think you need. the idea is to start your pull then push out. so your feet need to be high enough that they're still flat against the wall during your pull. just keep trying, find what works for you.

yeah I think the feet up high thing is something I'm missing, especially after you and Ryan saying this and rewatching that video.. I notice sometimes to get the feet high enough some guys will do a little shuffle up the wall. It feels a bit awkward with the higher feet so it's something I'll just to just train into me.

also guys a question. One thing I don't often see in these tutorials is advice/tips in terms of how to get on to the wall itself, the movements and techniques of the jumps etc, how to swing your arms, move your body etc so you go from sprinting to on the wall.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look up a tutorial on strides. Then cats.

Striding in lamest terms in finding rhythm with your steps... sorta.

Anyways to perform the cat (landing against the wall like a monkey... I know its a stupid name, but I didn't choose them) start running/jogging at the wall. You'er going to continue your run and jump off one foot lifting it up in the air. Feet will hit the wall first then your hands almost a split second after. The feet hitting first allows you to use your body as a hinge and get your arms in the right place. You should be able to see this in the video.

The reasons for this are two fold.

1. This places your feet first. Allowing you to begin moving up the wall quicker. (If your hands hit first you then have to position your feet. Then use them to pull yourself up)

2. You are less likely to slam your face and break your teeth off.

Once you land lean back slightly and "shuffle" your feet higher up the wall (unless your doing a step-up climb-up). Leaning back forces your arms to straighten out. Then pull up.

Once your chest is just above level with the wall your arms should bend (mine bend a little before, it's kinda dependent on body type) and transition into a front dip. Press up and you're on the wall.

So re: getting up. I think azsf totally has it right. In that video, the guy has his fingers over the opposite lip. It makes it so much easier that way. It's almost a different technique. I would phrase it as "push with your legs and pull with your palms to put your upper chest on top of the wall". With your upper chest on the wall, just push up like it's a dip.

As to the wall pass - the slipping. Wall passes depend on the friction between the sole of our shoe and the wall. Forgetting the shoe-sole-rubber and wall-material interaction this leaves us with 3 variables: (i) the angle of our leg-and-foot into the wall, (ii) the energy or momentum we create to either (a) pushes the foot into the wall (from our speed approaching the wall) or (B) jump up the wall (from our jumping leg in the last step), and (iii) the downward force that we exert as we push to go up the wall.

In short, getting a "high foot" seeks to optimize the angle of our foot on the wall. (Really we're creating a lever with our foot in the same way that gymnasts "block" to turn their forward momentum into vertical momentum), but two other components remain!

To prevent foot slippage (assuming perfect foot angle) we'll need to learn the proper ratio of energy into and up the wall BEFORE we touch the wall, and the amount of energy we PUSH into the wall. To make this clearer:

(1) if we run at a wall very quickly, when we put our foot on the wall we have a lot of friction because our foot is pressing into the wall with all the force of our horizontal movement towards the wall. The more speed, the more friction, and the more friction, the more that we can push up the wall without slipping.

(2) if we jump really hard as we get to the wall, we create upward momentum which means that we have to push LESS down into the wall. If we have to push less to achieve the same upward result, that means that we have less of a chance to slip - more friction to work with!

When I teach wall passes, I notice that people need the most help with their APPROACH: that's (ii)(a)&(B). (a) how fast you run INTO the wall, and (B) how hard you JUMP up the wall. This will prevent slipping by giving more friction with speed and by jumping upwards, you'll need to push into the wall less, so you'll use less of your available friction.

As you approach the wall, you want to do a few things:

(1)
Swoop your body low IN THE LAST STEP to load the jumping leg
(so pretty close to the wall).

(2)
Launch off your jumping leg
as you (a) reach high with your wall leg and (
B)
lean slightly back and look up towards your goal. (I know that the slight lean-back instruction is unexpected, but it's a good habit to build because it will teach a tracer (sic) to create space for working on two-step wall passes).

You've seen a graph of -1/x, amirite? (If not, go here and enter -1/x into "y1=" and press "graph". I promise this will make sense in a second). As the line approaches zero from the negative x-axis, it swoops up towards infinity on the y-axis. That's what we want our wall pass to resemble. This will make sure we have maximum upward momentum and maximum momentum towards the wall.

And that's how you create friction by pushing into the wall and by needing less friction by jumping really hard!

(Also, another point to this whole thing is to have enough left-over upward energy at the end of a wall pass so that your muscle-up doesn't take any extra effort).

I hope this helps! I'm happy to answer any questions!

RANGER LV. 1 STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 2 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 3 |

Intro | 1st Challenge | Fitocracy

1RM (lbs) SQT 225 | DL 245 | DB BP 70 | OHP 100 | FSQT 191 | C&J 152 | 5k 20'00"

LOL.... I think I over shot my abilities in choosing this as a challenge, but damn it I'm gonna do as well as I can. Thanks Ryan and PandaPanda.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ok... so I fought through the monday morning blas and soreness from this weekend to get out there and do some PK practice.. the act of making a video for feedback actually makes it easy to get out there.

here it is! feedback and advice is always welcome.

I felt I actually did half decent compared to the last time I tried. I tried to implement the one leg hitting the wall first etc. I failed fairly miserably at keeping my feet against the wall.. I think it was because I couldn't keep my feet flat against the wall and had only my toes and the ball of my foot against it with my heel bent out. There were a few tries where I felt I could of just "muscled" it up over the wall, but that wasn't what I was there to practice so I dropped. One of the drops on the tall wall I came down pretty hard on my right heel.. ouch.

and PS.. it's definitely not easy when you can't grip the other side of the wall.. I am determined to do it the right way though. Thanks everyone for your advice and feedback. Also I found it much easier to practice on the taller end of the wall around the back then the shorter end... felt I couldn't get the full range of movement with a small wall.

and also PS... dunno if it's hard to tell in the video but I've been practicing in my VFFs... I'm wondering if it may be easier in this light pair of sneakers I have... might try it with them next.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Those are looking good. I noticed that your first two or three had the wrong angle, but the passes (on the short wall) at 0'32" and 0'40" had the swoop I'm talking about (was that post useful, or too much to absorb? Maybe something to return to later).

What are you training? I think, since you're not trying to top out ("topping out" is the term, "muscle up" is also used; I wasn't able to remember the term "top out" before :P), that your goal is to work the traction under your foot.

If that's the case, I recommend practicing running up the wall without using your hands. To do this, you'll use that slight lean back and when you put your foot on the wall you'll try to hover there for a few milliseconds. The feeling is distinct: you stall out. Then, when you begin to fall again, look down and make a soft landing. When I practice these and get up to the higher stuff, I need to turn off the wall and land with my legs and with my arms. Here you'll probs just need your legs. Just be sure that you've got a good landing: full body extension just before landing!

Looking good! If you want to come into Manhattan sometime I'd love to do a meetup and a one-on-one hard-to-the-core wall training sesh! :D

1RM (lbs) SQT 225 | DL 245 | DB BP 70 | OHP 100 | FSQT 191 | C&J 152 | 5k 20'00"

Hell yeah I'd do a meetup, I had no idea you were just in NYC. And no I appreciate you taking the time to type so much and give me all that advice, same goes for everyone else. While some of it may go over my head now, I keep the links to these threads and use them long term so it's all very much appreciated.

Also btw I am working on doing the whole climb up, I'd love to show a video at the end of my challenge of me standing on top of that wall after a climb up.. But I want to do it proper, not all arm strength and lifting up with my arms. Like I said there was one or two times where I felt I could of muscled it just to get to the top, but since I'm trying to practice properly I did not bother.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I getcha. Practicing topping out, muscling up is great for strength, but you're trying to do it all in one smooth go. I getcha! There is def a coordination to it. Smaller walls (like those two) are great for finding that fluidity. You said that the second wall gave you enough room to get all the parts in and its a challenge. Sounds like a well-balanced challenge!

video looks good RW, looks like youre definitely working on your foot work! keep it up :)

out of interest, have you tried doing wall runs at all? im not sure if this is the correct term, but it's what my group has always called them; it's essentially like doing a climb up at speed i suppose. the main difference is instead of going for the crouch and hang at the top of the wall, you push immediately with your foot and try to go straight up on top of the wall, almost like a vault. i find these are a great way to get your confidence on walls up, as well as get you used to the motion of a climb up and foot placement and all that.

promise that my video tutorial will come out by the end of this week!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

video looks good RW, looks like youre definitely working on your foot work! keep it up :)

out of interest, have you tried doing wall runs at all? im not sure if this is the correct term, but it's what my group has always called them; it's essentially like doing a climb up at speed i suppose. the main difference is instead of going for the crouch and hang at the top of the wall, you push immediately with your foot and try to go straight up on top of the wall, almost like a vault. i find these are a great way to get your confidence on walls up, as well as get you used to the motion of a climb up and foot placement and all that.

promise that my video tutorial will come out by the end of this week!

no I've not tried the wall runs but I think thats a good thing to try. Between You and WolfLean I'm still waiting on these videos! lol.. just kidding man, we all appreciate whatever videos you can give us.

I think maybe I could of chosen something a bit easier like a passement, but I actually still have fears about jumping things and not being able to get my feet over obstacles, so I decided the climb-up would be a safer bet LOL. that will definitely be my next challenge though, I need to leap stuff, and then eventually I want to do that cat pass move.. that thing is so bad ass. Regardless one of my goals will always be parkour related in the challenges.

I started to try and make contacts near me, I created a meetup.com group and a facebook group called " Ocean County Parkour" in an attempt to form a group in my area and I found one guy who has a little group the next county over. I'm slowly but surely becoming a true traceur I think, but I have a loooong way to go.

I getcha. Practicing topping out, muscling up is great for strength, but you're trying to do it all in one smooth go. I getcha! There is def a coordination to it. Smaller walls (like those two) are great for finding that fluidity. You said that the second wall gave you enough room to get all the parts in and its a challenge. Sounds like a well-balanced challenge!

thanks Panda!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Between You and WolfLean I'm still waiting on these videos!

Hah its a long process man, im trying to get one up every week for this challenge! uploading a quick run down on the scissor pose as i write this, and you can always go check out my catpass tutorial. so i have at least one video up on wolf lol ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

Hah its a long process man, im trying to get one up every week for this challenge! uploading a quick run down on the scissor pose as i write this, and you can always go check out my catpass tutorial. so i have at least one video up on wolf lol ;)

yep I saw that tutorial a few weeks back! I think I could do a catpass pretty well because I'm pretty good with maneuvering my hips. I look forward to when that is a challenge, hopefully I wont break my neck. I also like how you had the "beginner" part of standing there and just leaping up with your legs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thanks! i know you watched it, just saying im not all talk ;) in fact

just loaded...

are you training any vaults at all at the moment? or are you just sticking to climb ups?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

no I've not tried the wall runs but I think thats a good thing to try. Between You and WolfLean I'm still waiting on these videos! lol.. just kidding man, we all appreciate whatever videos you can give us.

Ewps, panda fail! I thought that's what we were talking about. Well, that and the top out. So um, my essay up there is about wall passes :P That's what we call 'em too!

Ewps, panda fail! I thought that's what we were talking about. Well, that and the top out. So um, my essay up there is about wall passes :P That's what we call 'em too!

um.... I think it may be ME who is the confused one... in all the pk literature(websites and youtube training) i've only ever seen the "climb-up" as in the parkourpedia pdf, can someone show me a video of a good wall pass so I can see the difference?

is the wall pass what I see when guys will run up a wall, turn direction, and go into a cat on an opposite wall? I dunno.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

nah its basically the same thing, just done as one smooth flowing motion. so you keep your momentum going up, rather than grabbing the top of the wall and coming back into a hang. this is a good video on it:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

nah its basically the same thing, just done as one smooth flowing motion. so you keep your momentum going up, rather than grabbing the top of the wall and coming back into a hang. this is a good video on it:

awesome video! ya know I can do the lift my body up thing because I tried it on about 6 foot tall filing cabinets at work(yes when I'm in the office alone or when no ones looking I do parkour stuff in the office LOL). I jump up to where my hands are in the same position on top with the bent elbows then keep my legs straight and lift up until I can put my knee on the top. I want to practice this as well.. I think the trick will be to get down the transfer of energy in the vertical direction and the initial lifting to the top.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]