Kelly’s “Take Me Back To The Start� Challenge

In the key of Willie Nelson, not Coldplay, even though it’s their song. Why? Well, primarily because hopefully this challenge won’t be about a car wreck… Or whatever the Coldplay song is about. I’ve only seen the video once. But more specifically, while I know it’s lame to use a Chipotle commercial as motivation, I like the message of cultivating a better world – and in my case a better body. And who doesn’t think Willie is awesome? I feel like he’s singing simplifying life – I’m definitely guilty of over-complicating.

Here’s the video if you haven’t seen it:

Last challenge wasn’t great. OK, it was awful. But I’m ready to stop making excuses and make my health a priority. Plus, my birthday falls during the challenge, so that’s always motivating, right? It reminds me I need to get it together because I’m not getting any younger!

Enough background. Here it is!

Diet and Fitness Goals:

1. Lift two times per week (squat/bench/DL/bent rows one day, squat/OHP/DL/inverted rows the 2nd), cardio (of whatever variety I choose, just get moving to improve endurance) three times per week. 30 points possible, up to 5 per week. (2 STR, 2 STA)

2. Plan and prep meals – Plan the following week’s meals and grocery list by Thursday of the current week. Grocery shop over the weekend. And make the bulk of the week’s food on Sundays. (12 possible points. One for planning by Thursday. One for prepping by Sunday night.) (2 WIS, 2 CHA, 1 CON)

3. Zombie Run – Complete in less than 1 hour. I did the Warrior Dash in 1 hour 8 minutes (no judging). The course isn’t exactly the same, but from what I’ve heard aside from the zombies, it’s very similar. 5K through a field with obstacles (and zombies). Training for this will partially be the cardio in #1, but hopefully a goal finish time will ensure I run more. All or nothing. Sub 1 hour gets points. (Side note, if I ran a 5K on a flat, paved surface, I think I’d finish in about 40 minutes. And this will be a hilly course that’s not paved, with likely lines at obstacles.) (2 DEX, 2 STA)

Life Goal:

Yard – I have two landscaping areas in my backyard I need to take care of before winter. I also want to fertilize my yard two more times before it freezes. The fertilizing is easy as long as I do it. Cleaning up the landscaping area is the time-consuming/grueling work. I know – I did the front yard this weekend. So 25% for fertilizing, and 75% for the landscaping. (2 CHA)

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Just finished the zombie run yesterday. Its more of a sprint then jog vs run the whole way. Because you have to haul ass to get past the zombies, then there is an area without zombies, where you can stop, walk or cathc your breath. I would do more interval training. I practiced by running then stopping and doing 10 push-ups, 10 squats etc and then running again. But its totally fun. Good luck - dont get biten.

Level 5 gnome ninja

STR - 14.5 DEX - 2 STA - 5.5 CON - 15.75 WIS - 14.25 CHA - 4.75

Yay, you're back! I was starting to think maybe you weren't joining us this time! Very solid goals, and I'm way jealous of your zombie race. Even if they did things like that (warrior dash, spartan race, color run... ) around South Dakota, I don't know anyone who would go with me :(

Glad to see you back, you can do this!

Just finished the zombie run yesterday. Its more of a sprint then jog vs run the whole way. Because you have to haul ass to get past the zombies, then there is an area without zombies, where you can stop, walk or cathc your breath. I would do more interval training. I practiced by running then stopping and doing 10 push-ups, 10 squats etc and then running again. But its totally fun. Good luck - dont get biten.

This zombie run isn't an official Run For Your Life run, but it's supposed to be similar. I know many good runners don't finish alive. So while I'd love to do that, I'm working more toward my time in general. But I do plan to do some interval training also. So thanks for that advice!

You'll kick ass this round for sure! Looking forward to following your progress!

Feeling pretty confident right now. It's fall, my favorite time of year. I vented some frustrations at work (and people listened!). I have told some of my common diet saboteurs of my plans, and how they can support me. And my birthday's on the horizon. So hopefully the perfect storm for ass kickin'!

Yay, you're back! I was starting to think maybe you weren't joining us this time! Very solid goals, and I'm way jealous of your zombie race. Even if they did things like that (warrior dash, spartan race, color run... ) around South Dakota, I don't know anyone who would go with me :(

Glad to see you back, you can do this!

I know. Ugh. I needed a break from a lot of stuff. Last challenge + work + some personal stuff and it felt really overwhelming. I had to run and hide and work through some stuff. But I'm ready!

Oh, and I think I'll be running the zombie race alone. My friend who did WD with me is out of town that weekend. So I'll be alone, but some of m friends will be at the finish line. And hopefully the after-party will be fun!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Zombie run!!! I want to do one these!! Little-known fact, squats and fish oil are the antidote for zombie bites.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 2 MartianWarrior

STR 9/DEX 2/ STAM 3.75/ CON 3/ WIS 6/ CHA 3

"Fads come and go, but the barbell remains the same. Respect it accordingly." - Jim Wendler

"When I want to be a super hero, I just wake up" - Childish Gambino

Yay, zombie run! I'm sure you'll do epically this challenge! Also, do you have specific goals for your lifts? I'm betting the zombie run will be a nice interval workout with the whole not-getting-eaten-by-a-zombie thing.

I've never seen that commercial before, but that was the most charming, endearing advertisement put out by a multi-billion dollar publicly traded company since

. I actually read a longer Time article about Chipotle and I swear they must have paid for the article to be written because the lengths they go to for sustainability were enough to convince me to eat there, and I actually mean that in a very legit, non-sarcastic way.
Those all sound like good goals. Yay, zombie run! A combination of endurance and intervals for sprints does sound like the way to go. Also practicing switching direction fast so you can dodge if the zombies have herding skills.

I always want to practice switching directions, but I always feel stupid. It's probably bad that I've already resigned to not keeping my life and just want to finish the race. So I should be more competitive and TRY not to die, huh?

Have you seen the iphone app Zombies Run? www.zombiesrungame.com

Seems like an appropriate training tool

I do have this app downloaded. I couldn't seem to get it to work the one time I tried it. I'm not sure if there are supposed to be sounds or what, but there was no sound and it seemed like I needed to watch my screen. I have an Android phone and whenI went back to look at what I needed to setup a bunch of reviewers said, "Doesn't work for Android anymore. Fix!" (Or generally that.) So I kind of gave up. But maybe I need to give it a try again as that was months ago. I want to be able to listen to music and have the little zombie app yell at me to run because the zombies are in front of/behind to the left or right. I'm not sure if that's even how it works? Probably not.

Zombie run!!! I want to do one these!! Little-known fact, squats and fish oil are the antidote for zombie bites.

I hadn't heard that, but it doesn't surprise me. Sounds like i need to be super-diligent about taking my fish oil and squat my ass off in preparation. What if I pick up a zombie and squat it? Bonus badass point?

Yay, zombie run! I'm sure you'll do epically this challenge! Also, do you have specific goals for your lifts? I'm betting the zombie run will be a nice interval workout with the whole not-getting-eaten-by-a-zombie thing.

I've never seen that commercial before, but that was the most charming, endearing advertisement put out by a multi-billion dollar publicly traded company since

. I actually read a longer Time article about Chipotle and I swear they must have paid for the article to be written because the lengths they go to for sustainability were enough to convince me to eat there, and I actually mean that in a very legit, non-sarcastic way.

I forgot about that elephant commercial, which I don't think I'd ever actually seen on TV, only through the interwebs. So cute!

I don't have specific lifting goals. But I do record them and try to be honest with myself each time I lift whether I could go up in weight or need to focus on form next time. And try to increase as often as I can. I do plan to do squat/bench/DL/bent over row one workout and squat/OHP/DL/inverted row the next. That way I'm hitting squat and DL twice a week, and the other upper body once a week. It's like a 2-day Starting Strength program, which is where I've seen the best results in the past (admittedly when I was doing 3 days, but I really need to train for Zombie Run).

As for me... Last night when making lasagna for this week's lunches, I was putting my mandolin in the dishwasher, and sliced my finger open on my pointer finger fingernail. I'm going to lose my nail for sure, as it sliced it open halfway up the nail. Other than that, food prep went well. The lasangna turned out a little salty (boo - I only added salt to the pesto). But everything else went great. Feeling energized for the first day of the challenge!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Boom, you just got Subscribed!

We've got the same eating goal again! Pretty close anyway. All of your goals look good, I know you'll be able to complete them. (And I'm kind of jealous that you get to do yard work, I miss yard work haha!)

Rock on Kelly!

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

I'm very excited for this thread. Good luck
+1

Thanks! Hopefully it doesn't require too much luck. Just a little focus! :)

Boom, you just got Subscribed!

We've got the same eating goal again! Pretty close anyway. All of your goals look good, I know you'll be able to complete them. (And I'm kind of jealous that you get to do yard work, I miss yard work haha!)

Rock on Kelly!

I don't mind yardwork in the spring and fall. But in the summer? I constantly wish I lived in an apartment or had a lawn boy. Well, maybe a lawn boy would be nice year around? ;)

yeaaahhh buddy.

(subbed!)

RAWR!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

1. Willie Nelson > Cold Play

2. Jay-Z> Cold Play

3. This challenge > than last time

Boom:

Great goals!! Really fantastic set up!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Shhh! Nobody tell my husband that landscaping goals are allowed in these challenges. I might or might not be avoiding finishing my yard.

So... big ol' Warrior-Meal-Planning support group this time, eh? Love that so many of us are on the same page. Also, you know that for your birthday, you definitely want to come hang with me at the KU football game. ETA: Which, now that I think about it is probably the same Saturday as the Zombie Run. Boo.

What if I pick up a zombie and squat it? Bonus badass point?

Well, duh! I expect you to be squatting, dead lifting, and farmer carrying all the zombies! let 'em know they don't mess with a warrior.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 2 MartianWarrior

STR 9/DEX 2/ STAM 3.75/ CON 3/ WIS 6/ CHA 3

"Fads come and go, but the barbell remains the same. Respect it accordingly." - Jim Wendler

"When I want to be a super hero, I just wake up" - Childish Gambino

Well, duh! I expect you to be squatting, dead lifting, and farmer carrying all the zombies! let 'em know they don't mess with a warrior.

HA! Yes!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Excited to see your progress for this challenge!

I have no idea why anyone would want to purposely be near people dressed up like zombies. They scare the living hell out of me (even though I know they aren't real), so I could never do one of these runs... But, GOOD LUCK!!!

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

1. Willie Nelson > Cold Play

2. Jay-Z> Cold Play

3. This challenge > than last time

Boom:

Great goals!! Really fantastic set up!

Without intending to offend anyone, I'm not a huge Coldplay fan. I sing the "they were all yellow" song to my boss (when he was a co-worker). We had all of these yellow network cables he hated, and he wanted to change all of them out to black. So I'd go with him and help him swap faster. And the whole time I'd sing, "Look at the cables. Look how they shine for you. And all they data they move. Yeah, they were all yellow." He hated Coldplay. I told him I only sang it to make him work faster. But really, I thought I was hilarious. Plus, two people in a network closet? You gotta make jokes.

Shhh! Nobody tell my husband that landscaping goals are allowed in these challenges. I might or might not be avoiding finishing my yard.

So... big ol' Warrior-Meal-Planning support group this time, eh? Love that so many of us are on the same page. Also, you know that for your birthday, you definitely want to come hang with me at the KU football game. ETA: Which, now that I think about it is probably the same Saturday as the Zombie Run. Boo.

You know, I do want to tailgate! I've actually tailgated at more KSU games than KU games. Isn't that sad? But, if it's the weekend of the 27th, then yes, zombies will be eating my brains then. :( What time's the game? My run's at 1:40. But by the time I finish and will probably be exhausted after, I likely won't want to drive 2 hours - even to the greatest city in Kansas. :)

Challenge accepted.

HA! Yes!

they're sorta like wookies, right? Except more... Slimey?

Excited to see your progress for this challenge!

I have no idea why anyone would want to purposely be near people dressed up like zombies. They scare the living hell out of me (even though I know they aren't real), so I could never do one of these runs... But, GOOD LUCK!!!

And THIS is why you'd do great at the race. I'm really not scared. So I have less motivation to actually run for my life.

And PS- YAY! You're back!!!!! <3 If you were around last challenge, I was MIA most of it. But I'm back for really-real this time.

In zombie-related news, my Run! Zombies app officially doesn't work. I mean it shows zombies, but nothing happens. No noise or anything. 1. Should it make noise? 2. Will I be required to watch the screen? this sounds really dangerous if so.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

I do have this app downloaded. I couldn't seem to get it to work the one time I tried it. I'm not sure if there are supposed to be sounds or what, but there was no sound and it seemed like I needed to watch my screen. I have an Android phone and whenI went back to look at what I needed to setup a bunch of reviewers said, "Doesn't work for Android anymore. Fix!" (Or generally that.) So I kind of gave up. But maybe I need to give it a try again as that was months ago. I want to be able to listen to music and have the little zombie app yell at me to run because the zombies are in front of/behind to the left or right. I'm not sure if that's even how it works? Probably not.

If it's working there should be audio - you load up your prefered playlist and it intersperses songs with a little story. In the first episode you are in a helicopter crash near an outpost and they get in radio contact to guid you into the compound. Every so often you'll hear the sounds of a zombie closing in and have to up your pace to avoid it.

As you run you also collect items which can be used to upgrade your base when you get home.

Some of the audio had me actually pumping adrenaline and dropping into a flat sprint because of what was behind me.... I loved it!!

*fingers crossed they've fixed it for android*

If it's working there should be audio - you load up your prefered playlist and it intersperses songs with a little story. In the first episode you are in a helicopter crash near an outpost and they get in radio contact to guid you into the compound. Every so often you'll hear the sounds of a zombie closing in and have to up your pace to avoid it.

As you run you also collect items which can be used to upgrade your base when you get home.

Some of the audio had me actually pumping adrenaline and dropping into a flat sprint because of what was behind me.... I loved it!!

*fingers crossed they've fixed it for android*

Um, that sounds badass!! OK, I need to get this thing to work. The images do display now. I think I need to try deleting and reinstalling maybe. It's been since last challenge that I downloaded it. I can see the zombies. But it never makes noise. I also don't have a playlist on my phone, but mostly because I didn't want to transfer music if this app wasn't going to work. So maybe I need to transfer the music and the app will magically start working. Like a Halloween miracle!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

But more specifically, while I know it’s lame to use a Chipotle commercial as motivation, I like the message of cultivating a better world – and in my case a better body. And who doesn’t think Willie is awesome?

Using a Chipotle commercial as motivation is awesome! Its delicious, and you're now that much more awesome(er) in relation! And I don't think Willie Nelson is awesome, but thats ok.

Rootin for ya. Let us know how that Zombie Run goes

Have you seen the iphone app Zombies Run? www.zombiesrungame.com

Seems like an appropriate training tool

I'm gonna be downloading that app soon. Freaking AWESOME!

[table]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[table=width: 350]

Foreign Warrior

STR 3

DEX 2

STA 2

Level 1

CON 3

WIS 3

CHA 2

Links

Current Challenge

Battle Logs

[/table]

[/table]

You can feel sore tomorrow, or you can feel sorry tomorrow. YOU choose.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines