Kelly’s “Take Me Back To The Start� Challenge

And PS- YAY! You're back!!!!! <3 If you were around last challenge, I was MIA most of it. But I'm back for really-real this time.

Yup, I'm back. I was actually MIA too because of life stuff. I'm back on track and ready to play now!

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Um, that sounds badass!! OK, I need to get this thing to work. The images do display now. I think I need to try deleting and reinstalling maybe. It's been since last challenge that I downloaded it. I can see the zombies. But it never makes noise. I also don't have a playlist on my phone, but mostly because I didn't want to transfer music if this app wasn't going to work. So maybe I need to transfer the music and the app will magically start working. Like a Halloween miracle!

Those zombies still haven't bothered chasing me, I've turned the setting on and off a couple of times. I'm just kind of having fun with the story now, I might actually panic if they started chasing me haha!

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

You know, I do want to tailgate! I've actually tailgated at more KSU games than KU games. Isn't that sad? But, if it's the weekend of the 27th, then yes, zombies will be eating my brains then. :( What time's the game? My run's at 1:40. But by the time I finish and will probably be exhausted after, I likely won't want to drive 2 hours - even to the greatest city in Kansas. :)

Yep, same weekend. Somehow it didn't occur to me until after I posted that a Zombie Run was probably designed to be Halloween weekend. Duh. I haven't seen anything about a kickoff time yet, although they often don't know until a week or two out due to TV schedules. I'll let you know once I hear anything, but yeah, I wouldn't want to go anywhere after that either. :)

Yay! Haloween miracle!

I use it on iPhone and as much as apple irritate and infuriate me it is nice when the apps “just workâ€. Of course when they don’t you have zero trouble shooting options.

Hope the re-install works!

Well, looks like the Android app just isn't as developed as the iPhone app. Boo. There is no sound (and no story). And it sounds like the map doesn't even adjust as you run. So you have to watch the screen, and keep refreshing the map. Doesn't sound like something this uncoordinated girl will be able to do. I need to research whether there's a non-Zombies! Run app that does something similar to the good iPhone app!

Using a Chipotle commercial as motivation is awesome! Its delicious, and you're now that much more awesome(er) in relation! And I don't think Willie Nelson is awesome, but thats ok.

Rootin for ya. Let us know how that Zombie Run goes

I'm gonna be downloading that app soon. Freaking AWESOME!

Yay zombie run!

Yup, I'm back. I was actually MIA too because of life stuff. I'm back on track and ready to play now!

Let's do this!

Those zombies still haven't bothered chasing me, I've turned the setting on and off a couple of times. I'm just kind of having fun with the story now, I might actually panic if they started chasing me haha!

Your zombies don't chase you... I don't know when mine are. I guess that's maybe real life. It's not like you always see them coming!

Yep, same weekend. Somehow it didn't occur to me until after I posted that a Zombie Run was probably designed to be Halloween weekend. Duh. I haven't seen anything about a kickoff time yet, although they often don't know until a week or two out due to TV schedules. I'll let you know once I hear anything, but yeah, I wouldn't want to go anywhere after that either. :)

Oh no big deal. I know those zombie runs are all over the nation at random times. This one isn't an official "Run For Your Life" run. It's one that was setup locally, so they did base it around Halloween. Have fun at the game. I don't even know who they're playing that weekend. I do know they're not picked to win another game this season. :( Hopefully someday they get their program back on track. I don't care if they ever win all the time, but at least having a chance would be nice. :)

Yesterday's eating went pretty well. I made my lunch before bed, and didn't eat out. It's always a few weeks into the challenge when this gets challenging.

And I got in 50 minutes of cardio last night. Tonight: lifting!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Without intending to offend anyone, I'm not a huge Coldplay fan. I sing the "they were all yellow" song to my boss (when he was a co-worker). We had all of these yellow network cables he hated, and he wanted to change all of them out to black. So I'd go with him and help him swap faster. And the whole time I'd sing, "Look at the cables. Look how they shine for you. And all they data they move. Yeah, they were all yellow." He hated Coldplay. I told him I only sang it to make him work faster. But really, I thought I was hilarious. Plus, two people in a network closet? You gotta make jokes.

No offense here... Coldplay is one of those bands for me where I apparently just don't "get it" and that video with the car crash always creeped me out. Your lyrics greatly improve that song haha.

I hope you got your zombie app working... apps like that are the only thing I feel like I miss out on by still being in the stone age (I can't bring myself to upgrad to a smart phone and add a data plan charge every month, I is too cheap).

great job yesterday :)

Thanks! :)

No offense here... Coldplay is one of those bands for me where I apparently just don't "get it" and that video with the car crash always creeped me out. Your lyrics greatly improve that song haha.

I hope you got your zombie app working... apps like that are the only thing I feel like I miss out on by still being in the stone age (I can't bring myself to upgrad to a smart phone and add a data plan charge every month, I is too cheap).

I'm just as cheap. My phone is through work - which has pros and cons. It feels like you can't really "shut off" after hours. But they don't mind if we download free apps. Another con is I feel like I'm addicted to the Internet, Facebook and Twitter. With the Internet at my fingertips, I am constantly online looking things up. It's like i never have enough knowledge on useless stuff. Sigh. And FB and Twitter, I think actually make me less happy, since people are fairly constantly mean. I woudln't mind giving up the phone.

I think the app is functioning as it's supposed to, and simply doesn't have sound. For a free app, I can't complain. But I know what I'm missing, so it does bum me out.

Ohhh to have a yard to work in......le sigh....soon

I love your avatar!

Kick ass chicky and I'll be following you in case you need a sprinkling of awesome pixie dust!

I ALWAYS need pixie dust! Throw some in my direction randomly!

Re: Avatar. I'm going to buy that shirt for myself for my birthday. I just need to decide what I want (shirt or hoodie) and what color. If I do shirt, do I do men's or women's? Women's shirts have an issue of being too short sometimes.

You're invited to do yard work with me whenever!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Amen sistah! Kelly, you should join Coldplay and make them better (to myself and heather, here, at least) :)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Welp, I had a "stress candy bar." It wasn't my proudest moment.

Lots of drama at work today. It's like my department wants to find my mistakes or something. Even if I send out an email detailing what to expect, they sit around complaining to each other (I can't decide if they want me to hear or think I'm deaf?). Aside from my department specificaly, we have all of these employees, and about 20% of them do work. But they sure have the time to sit around judging other people or thinking of things they could have messed up.

Ugh. I hate my job.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Welp, I had a "stress candy bar." It wasn't my proudest moment.

Lots of drama at work today. It's like my department wants to find my mistakes or something. Even if I send out an email detailing what to expect, they sit around complaining to each other (I can't decide if they want me to hear or think I'm deaf?). Aside from my department specificaly, we have all of these employees, and about 20% of them do work. But they sure have the time to sit around judging other people or thinking of things they could have messed up.

Ugh. I hate my job.

Sounds like you might work for a State Department? Cause, yeah, this sounds like every damn day at my job...

I'm having a "stress diet mt. dew" right now.

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Could you keep some fresh fruit or veggies at work to stress eat? Or cheese or hardboiled eggs? Or if it's a need chocolate type thing, you could get some chocolate protein bars, which might be slightly better for you than regular candy bars.

Lifting tonight! You can take out your aggression on your deadlifts!

Sounds like you might work for a State Department? Cause, yeah, this sounds like every damn day at my job...

I'm having a "stress diet mt. dew" right now.

I don't work for the government... But some days it feels like it. I know it could be worse, but I also could be a lot better. It feels like our deprtment is no longer a team, and one guy seeks out mistakes and is very passive aggressive about it. Ugh. I think his personal life is miserable.

Could you keep some fresh fruit or veggies at work to stress eat? Or cheese or hardboiled eggs? Or if it's a need chocolate type thing, you could get some chocolate protein bars, which might be slightly better for you than regular candy bars.

Lifting tonight! You can take out your aggression on your deadlifts!

I'm going to try the protein balls thing you suggested. Scoop of protein powder + peanut butter + Greek yogurt. Might melt some dark chocolate into it. I think it's a sugar thing more than chocolate. Our vending machine isn't very diverse, but I always get a candy bar with caramel. So I might try to figure out how to go that flavor. I have some caramel flavoring for cooking. It's not sugar based, just flavor. Like how there's peppermint flavoring in those little bottles in the spice aisle? Anyway, might try to figure that out with some vanilla protein powder.

I did loft tonight. Almost said screw it, but glad I did it! When does anyone regret working out? :) My numbers were terrible, but I looked back and haven't been working out regularly with a consistent plan for about five weeks. And no lifting at all for three. So, yeah, what do I expect? Anyway, hopefully I'll recover quickly!

Squats

45x8

95x6

135x5

135x5

135x5 <--Former max 160

Bench

45x6

65x6

75x5

75x5

75x5 <-- Former max 90

DL

135x5

155x5 <-- 185 former max

Incverted rows x6 <-- Only had one set in me. Sucks lifting after not lifting for awhile.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

It sucks how quicklylifts can slip - I went through the same thing recently.

For protein snacks I make my own with:

1 cup whey protein

1 tblsp cocoa

2 tblsp mollases

2 tblsp melted butter

enough water to get it binding

handfull of mixed chopped nuts and fruit

Mix it all up, roll into balls and set in the fridge. High energy density still but it beats the hell out of a chocolate bar and survives in the fridge for a few weeks at least (I ate one piece after a month with no ill effects)

Yeah, I think you should be able to make something workable with vanilla protein powder and the caramel flavoring. I'd use almond butter over peanut butter because I think it tastes more neutral, but that may because I don't like peanuts and do like almonds. I find that adding a tiny bit of water makes the balls harder and stickier, but that might make it more candy-like instead of like cookie dough.

I also never regret working out though I sometimes do more than I should. But I've been liking the overhead squats -- if I wake up a bit stiff and sore, I feel much better after doing a few of those.

It sucks how quicklylifts can slip - I went through the same thing recently.

For protein snacks I make my own with:

1 cup whey protein

1 tblsp cocoa

2 tblsp mollases

2 tblsp melted butter

enough water to get it binding

handfull of mixed chopped nuts and fruit

Mix it all up, roll into balls and set in the fridge. High energy density still but it beats the hell out of a chocolate bar and survives in the fridge for a few weeks at least (I ate one piece after a month with no ill effects)

Mmmmm! That sounds delicious! I'm going ot try that! I might also try swapping the cocoa powder for cinnamon/nutmeg/cloves/ginger and try a spice/gingerbread-ish flavored one with vanilla protein powder. I only have strawberry and vanilla protein powder. Not sure what I could do with strawberry, but i bet strawberry and cocoa powder would be good together. Thank you for the suggestion!

THIS is a great reminder!

I know. Somehow I always forget!

Yeah, I think you should be able to make something workable with vanilla protein powder and the caramel flavoring. I'd use almond butter over peanut butter because I think it tastes more neutral, but that may because I don't like peanuts and do like almonds. I find that adding a tiny bit of water makes the balls harder and stickier, but that might make it more candy-like instead of like cookie dough.

I also never regret working out though I sometimes do more than I should. But I've been liking the overhead squats -- if I wake up a bit stiff and sore, I feel much better after doing a few of those.

The only reason I choose peanut butter over almond butter is there aren't many almond butter choices here, and the ones that are here have sugar added to them. I know i can make my own, but so far haven't found a good way to use JUST nuts (and not extra oil). I think I need a better food processor or something.

And OH squats do seem likey they'd stretch ya all out! One of these times when I get my eating in order, I'm going to work on AM workouts. I have a pretty flexible work schedule so I've chosen coming into work earlier (and leaving earlier) and worknig out after work. Mostly because the coming in/leaving earlier traffic is less stressful. If i do the come in/leave later, about 40% of the time there's a wreck that means detouring off the highway. Doubles my commute time. I'd rather be home. :)

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

The only reason I choose peanut butter over almond butter is there aren't many almond butter choices here, and the ones that are here have sugar added to them. I know i can make my own, but so far haven't found a good way to use JUST nuts (and not extra oil). I think I need a better food processor or something.

When I was first hardcore paleo-ing, my wife brought home some almond butter from the local big grocery store, and I didn't eat it because it had sugar in it (this stuff) - insisting on the expensive "almonds only" stuff from Whole Foods. It sat in the pantry for months, but I've softened my stance a little since, and when I actually read the whole nutrition label (instead of freaking out because sugar appeared anywhere on the ingredients list), the sugar content isn't really that bad. 1.5g per tablespoon falls into the "don't sweat the small stuff" range for me.

When does anyone regret working out? :)

Quote of the day! I need to pin this on my wall. :)

When I was first hardcore paleo-ing, my wife brought home some almond butter from the local big grocery store, and I didn't eat it because it had sugar in it (this stuff) - insisting on the expensive "almonds only" stuff from Whole Foods. It sat in the pantry for months, but I've softened my stance a little since, and when I actually read the whole nutrition label (instead of freaking out because sugar appeared anywhere on the ingredients list), the sugar content isn't really that bad. 1.5g per tablespoon falls into the "don't sweat the small stuff" range for me.

I am terrible at figuring out whether it's good or bad (the sugar content - I never know how to tell). This stuff is from Walmart. And although you can get no added sugar PB there, I tend to think Walmart caters to those who are following TV/popular diet advice versus actually knowing WHY they're doing some stuff they're doing. I realize I fall kind of into that zone. But I also don't have anyone in my life who eats the way I want to eat. Those who are "healthy" are following common/popular diet approaches (avoiding fat/adding whole grains, etc.). That's not a bad thing, except I've proven my body is sensitive to sugars and too many carbs (of any kind - my triglycerides overreact like a diabetic to sugar). So I'm kind of wading the waters of what people think is a "low-carb" diet, but isn't quiet paleo or primal. I'm just trying to cut out as much extra sugar as I can and avoid extra grains I don't really need. Not that I NEED any grains, but I'm trying to "cut the fat." In my case fat = sugar/grains/processed carbs (which are probably sugar and/or grains).

Quote of the day! I need to pin this on my wall. :)

I need to tattoo it backwards on my forehead. I always forget. Until I'm done and feel a thousand times better!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

I did loft tonight. Almost said screw it, but glad I did it! When does anyone regret working out? :) My numbers were terrible, but I looked back and haven't been working out regularly with a consistent plan for about five weeks. And no lifting at all for three. So, yeah, what do I expect? Anyway, hopefully I'll recover quickly!

Squats

45x8

95x6

135x5

135x5

135x5 <--Former max 160

Bench

45x6

65x6

75x5

75x5

75x5 <-- Former max 90

DL

135x5

155x5 <-- 185 former max

Incverted rows x6 <-- Only had one set in me. Sucks lifting after not lifting for awhile.

Way to be awesome! Your numbers will come back quickly for sure!

No one ever regretted working out ever. I'm glad you went for it, you're numbers should be back in no time. Don't feel bad for the stress candy bar. I had about 3 "stress" beers and a "stress" brownie last night.

Mmmm Stress brownies... Oh wait that's bad, but much better than "stress pan of brownies" which would probably be my fall haha!

Kelly- Nice workout, even if your numbers slip, it's just good to be back in the gym. I got to thinking this morning and I couldn't remember the last time I got in three lifting days in a week (three weeks, possibly four). But it's like everyone says, your numbers will jump back quickly!

I definitely agree with your "make something protein based" plan. I'm not sure that protein bars are any better for you than regular candy bars.

Keep it up though, you'll do great!

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

you'll get your numbers back. you can do it!

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines