• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Strawberry Squatcake

Kelly’s “Take Me Back To The Start� Challenge

did someone say, "tray of brownies"? mmmmmmm

THIS is a great reminder!

Truth! I always tell this to myself when I'm thinking of skipping a workout. I've yet to regret one.

When I was first hardcore paleo-ing, my wife brought home some almond butter from the local big grocery store, and I didn't eat it because it had sugar in it (this stuff) - insisting on the expensive "almonds only" stuff from Whole Foods. It sat in the pantry for months, but I've softened my stance a little since, and when I actually read the whole nutrition label (instead of freaking out because sugar appeared anywhere on the ingredients list), the sugar content isn't really that bad. 1.5g per tablespoon falls into the "don't sweat the small stuff" range for me.

Quote of the day! I need to pin this on my wall. :)

No whole foods, huh? I hear they have a grinder place. Though, I bet it'd be super pricey. We've purchased the stuff linked above, too. I'm not a huge fan but I agree that it's not too bad if you're not eating it straight from the jar, a cup at a time :)

Nice work on the lifts! Even if they slipped a bit you'll be back in nooooo time at all. And hey, sometimes it's nice to work lighter, ya know?

Gah! I posted this whole big thing but the site is being all weird for me this morning and now it's gone.

Anyhow, the most important bit is:

Yay for working out! Glad you did! Your numbers will be back in noooo time.

Also, as far as the almond butter goes (or all things) you could always snap a pic while you're at the store and post it here so we can see the nutrition info and ingredients. That way, if you're unsure about it's content we can weigh in.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with posting issues,

The candy bar happens....just keep on pushin' on!!!

I thought I'd drop by and give you a hefty dusting of Wicked Pixie dust!

*~*~*~*~*~*

~*~*~*~*~*~

*~*~*~*~*~*

No one ever regretted working out ever. I'm glad you went for it, you're numbers should be back in no time. Don't feel bad for the stress candy bar. I had about 3 "stress" beers and a "stress" brownie last night.

I wouldn't worry so much about the stress candy bars (or stress junk food, more specifically) if it didn't happen so often. I'm bad about remembering to pack snacks, so that's part of it. Part of it is escaping from my area when things are really bad - so I go to the breakroom, get a candy bar (or other junk), eat it and read a gossip magazine. You'd think I could replace the junk with something healthier. Today I brought this tuna salad I love (tuna + avocado with a little greek yogurt + celery + chopped fresh spinach + garlic salt/smoked paprika/black pepper). Gonna try that. If i NEED sweet, I'll look at some sweet alternatives tomorrow. Has to be somethign I can pick up and walk out with, though, not something that requires any prep. I've left those snacks behind for something "now" several times. :)

Way to be awesome! Your numbers will come back quickly for sure!

I hope so! As long as I don't wallow in how I feel now (strength and conditioning wise) versus how I did feel, I think you're right!

Mmmm Stress brownies... Oh wait that's bad, but much better than "stress pan of brownies" which would probably be my fall haha!

Kelly- Nice workout, even if your numbers slip, it's just good to be back in the gym. I got to thinking this morning and I couldn't remember the last time I got in three lifting days in a week (three weeks, possibly four). But it's like everyone says, your numbers will jump back quickly!

I definitely agree with your "make something protein based" plan. I'm not sure that protein bars are any better for you than regular candy bars.

Keep it up though, you'll do great!

I agree on the candy bars versus protein bars. We have some protein bars in our vending machine, and the calories are identical to a candy bar. As is the list of ingredients. If I remember right, sugar is a little lower, so that's better. My goal would be to make something with real food (minus the protein powder, which is all chemicals!) that's lower in calories, lower in sugar/carbs, and higher in protein. Then at least it's a mostly-even trade with small benefits. We'll see how that goes. Once upon a time I had a protein bar recipe I LOVED. It was like cookie dough but held up as a bar, even outside of the fridge. It was a good sub for candy bar. But, alas, it's gone. I need to accept it. :)

And I agree, I'd love to get back on a regular workout schedule. Sadly, I think working out alone might be better for that. So I'm embracing that opportunity while it's here!

you'll get your numbers back. you can do it!

Yay! I agree! RAWR!

did someone say, "tray of brownies"? mmmmmmm

Truth! I always tell this to myself when I'm thinking of skipping a workout. I've yet to regret one.

No whole foods, huh? I hear they have a grinder place. Though, I bet it'd be super pricey. We've purchased the stuff linked above, too. I'm not a huge fan but I agree that it's not too bad if you're not eating it straight from the jar, a cup at a time :)

Nice work on the lifts! Even if they slipped a bit you'll be back in nooooo time at all. And hey, sometimes it's nice to work lighter, ya know?

We don't have Whole Foods, yet. But rumor is we're getting one. It's really inconvenient location-wise, though. But maybe if there are some things I can buy in bulk I could go every month or two and that woudln't be too bad. I need to check on open date. We have these non-WHole Foods that are called Whole Foods around here. Apparently they were in business before teh "real" Whole Foods so they can keep their name. I think this is why the "real" (by "real" I mean popular) Whole FOods doesn't want to come here. I guess there was some war over names, and since the smaller ones here were original, the big/real/popular Whole Foods didn't have a battle to fight. Anyway, that's the word I heard for why they didn't want to come here. But apparently, they caved? Or maybe that was a rumor. Anyway, hopefully it's true and I'll have some more options!

Gah! I posted this whole big thing but the site is being all weird for me this morning and now it's gone.

Anyhow, the most important bit is:

Yay for working out! Glad you did! Your numbers will be back in noooo time.

Also, as far as the almond butter goes (or all things) you could always snap a pic while you're at the store and post it here so we can see the nutrition info and ingredients. That way, if you're unsure about it's content we can weigh in.

OOoh! Good idea! I have a whole jar of no-sugar PB I need to finish. But I'll look next time I'm there, or at the last minute, when I actually NEED it!

and now both are posted. WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?!?!

Interweb gremlins?

I'm glad I'm not the only one with posting issues,

The candy bar happens....just keep on pushin' on!!!

I thought I'd drop by and give you a hefty dusting of Wicked Pixie dust!

*~*~*~*~*~*

~*~*~*~*~*~

*~*~*~*~*~*

I feel more powerful and in control than ever! Thanks! So far today's not too stressy. I'm avoiding the grumps who hate change. (All I do is deal with change, and it's funny how people in IT hate change... IT should be called Change Department, anyway. They like change when it's their change. But anyone else? They're jerks. Men. No offense to the NF community of men. You guys are awesome! And from my IRL dealings, I feel like maybe you're figments of the imagination of the Internet....)

Interweb gremlins?

I feel more powerful and in control than ever! Thanks! So far today's not too stressy. I'm avoiding the grumps who hate change. (All I do is deal with change, and it's funny how people in IT hate change... IT should be called Change Department, anyway. They like change when it's their change. But anyone else? They're jerks. Men. No offense to the NF community of men. You guys are awesome! And from my IRL dealings, I feel like maybe you're figments of the imagination of the Internet....)

I've watched it all the way through probably 3 times. My favorite episode is when Moss goes on the Countdown game show and becomes an underground celebrity:

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass... and I've just finished my milk."

How have I never thought of mixing protein powder and peanut butter???? Nom....

Sorry your lifts were a little rough, but you'll bounce back. If it's any consolation, the same thing happened to me this morning, and I was only out of heavy lifting for ~10 days.

I LOVE IT Crowd!! That show is hilarious. I've seen it all the way through twice. It's sad, but that's sort of the life of IT. Except, well, we don't get along as well. And no one is as clever. Sigh.

I have a great idea. Come work for IT where i work! They are clever and mostly get a long. and are mostly nice to look at.

My grocery store has a grinder with almonds and it's just a regular grocery store. So if your grocery store has a health food/bulk section, you might be in luck too. It's still more expensive than peanut butter but cheaper than buying the almond butter in jars.

I've watched it all the way through probably 3 times. My favorite episode is when Moss goes on the Countdown game show and becomes an underground celebrity:

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass... and I've just finished my milk."

HAHA! YES! That one's hilarious. When Bridesmaids came out and no one knew who Roy was, I was like, "He's the guy on IT Crowd! The Irish one that you can't decide if he's hot or not, and despite being a social recluse you kinda want to marry him." No one knew what i was talking about. Sigh.

How have I never thought of mixing protein powder and peanut butter???? Nom....

Sorry your lifts were a little rough, but you'll bounce back. If it's any consolation, the same thing happened to me this morning, and I was only out of heavy lifting for ~10 days.

I am scared for OHP. Hopefully I can still lift the bar!

I have a great idea. Come work for IT where i work! They are clever and mostly get a long. and are mostly nice to look at.

IT employees who are nice to look at? RAWR! Yesterday a coworker (after I got off the phone and was contemplating suicide) said, "God. You have a crappy job. I think you might even have the worst job in the whole company." For some reason it was comforting. I don't think anyone who doesn't watch me struggle all day, everyday, really realizes how hard it is to 1. Play middleman with all of these crappy vendors we work with, 2. lead the crusade to change - where even your own co-workers resist (I keep asking if I can go to "change management training" and people laugh at me like we don't resist change here, or like it woudl even help) 3. Listen to people complain and bitch, all day long. No one EVER thanks me - whether it's the people I'm implementing stuff for (they resist it so much, they never appreciate it when it's rolled out and never think to later come back and thank me), or upper management (who SHOULD appreciate the improvements in efficiency, but are so caught up in their own Days of our Lives drama and drug habits (seriously, I didn't realize doctors prescribed ADD meds just for fun, these people are seriously as high as coke heads). So frustrating. Anyway, don't mean to go on, but I thought it was nice that after almost five years in this position SOMEONE finally recoginized how frustrating and no-win this job is. And he's only been here about three months. Beyond that - goal is to pay off the house and get the hell out of IT for good. It's not a good fit for me.

My grocery store has a grinder with almonds and it's just a regular grocery store. So if your grocery store has a health food/bulk section, you might be in luck too. It's still more expensive than peanut butter but cheaper than buying the almond butter in jars.

My grocery store doesn't have anything like that. :( I have a food processor that recipes say "Just keep running it until the nuts turn into butter." But I worry it's goign to burn out the motor. And it wasn't a cheap food processor. I thought about buying a cheap one just for nut butter, but then I read farther down that said, "You have to have a pretty nice food processor for this to work." Soooo.... Yeah. I made sorta-walnut butter one time and it was SO GOOD. I made it in a spice grinder, but it did burn out the motor. The grinder was broken anyway (I had to hold it JUST RIGHT for it to turn on so I was ready to toss it anyway). ONly problem was for a small turnout of nut butter (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 a cup) I bet I added nearly 1/4 cup of walnut oil - which seemed not right.

Whole Foods is slated to open November 2013! Too bad it's so far away. I'll try our current whole foods. They have a limited number of bulk bins, but maybe they have a grinder and I don't know it.

IT employees who are nice to look at? RAWR! Yesterday a coworker (after I got off the phone and was contemplating suicide) said, "God. You have a crappy job. I think you might even have the worst job in the whole company." For some reason it was comforting. I don't think anyone who doesn't watch me struggle all day, everyday, really realizes how hard it is to 1. Play middleman with all of these crappy vendors we work with, 2. lead the crusade to change - where even your own co-workers resist (I keep asking if I can go to "change management training" and people laugh at me like we don't resist change here, or like it woudl even help) 3. Listen to people complain and bitch, all day long. No one EVER thanks me - whether it's the people I'm implementing stuff for (they resist it so much, they never appreciate it when it's rolled out and never think to later come back and thank me), or upper management (who SHOULD appreciate the improvements in efficiency, but are so caught up in their own Days of our Lives drama and drug habits (seriously, I didn't realize doctors prescribed ADD meds just for fun, these people are seriously as high as coke heads). So frustrating. Anyway, don't mean to go on, but I thought it was nice that after almost five years in this position SOMEONE finally recoginized how frustrating and no-win this job is. And he's only been here about three months. Beyond that - goal is to pay off the house and get the hell out of IT for good. It's not a good fit for me.

My grocery store doesn't have anything like that. :( I have a food processor that recipes say "Just keep running it until the nuts turn into butter." But I worry it's goign to burn out the motor. And it wasn't a cheap food processor. I thought about buying a cheap one just for nut butter, but then I read farther down that said, "You have to have a pretty nice food processor for this to work." Soooo.... Yeah. I made sorta-walnut butter one time and it was SO GOOD. I made it in a spice grinder, but it did burn out the motor. The grinder was broken anyway (I had to hold it JUST RIGHT for it to turn on so I was ready to toss it anyway). ONly problem was for a small turnout of nut butter (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 a cup) I bet I added nearly 1/4 cup of walnut oil - which seemed not right.

Whole Foods is slated to open November 2013! Too bad it's so far away. I'll try our current whole foods. They have a limited number of bulk bins, but maybe they have a grinder and I don't know it.

I'm glad someone noticed! Seriously, I appreciate our IT department so much... they have the crappiest jobs here, I think. And, like you said, no one ever thanks them. So, I do my part to not be an idiot, and be super appreciative. I keep thinking about making them treats but one of them is one of muh besties (we bonded over an appreciation of gifs-- yeah, that happened) and he doesn't like sweets. I know! I know.. but I'm a better baker than I am a cook so.. who knows. anyhow..

What kind of food processor do you have? We had one that was amazing and it broke (like fell on the ground off the counter and shattered the plastic) and every one we've purchased since hasn't been as awesome. Good.. but not as awesome. Anyhow, I've made some nut butters in it and find that it still works okay if you pulse, run for a bit, pulse, run for a bit, etc. Basically, I don't find I have to run it continuously. I made this deliciousness once. If you follow the amounts and instructions for the cashew butter here I think you'll have some success (steps 1 and 2). Walnut oil isn't necessary. I used coconut. I'm not sure how it would vary with almonds, for example, but I doubt it'd require too much more oil since they are an oily nut (hehehe oily nut).

Yay for Whole Foods eventually coming!

I'm glad someone noticed! Seriously, I appreciate our IT department so much... they have the crappiest jobs here, I think. And, like you said, no one ever thanks them. So, I do my part to not be an idiot, and be super appreciative. I keep thinking about making them treats but one of them is one of muh besties (we bonded over an appreciation of gifs-- yeah, that happened) and he doesn't like sweets. I know! I know.. but I'm a better baker than I am a cook so.. who knows. anyhow..

What kind of food processor do you have? We had one that was amazing and it broke (like fell on the ground off the counter and shattered the plastic) and every one we've purchased since hasn't been as awesome. Good.. but not as awesome. Anyhow, I've made some nut butters in it and find that it still works okay if you pulse, run for a bit, pulse, run for a bit, etc. Basically, I don't find I have to run it continuously. I made this deliciousness once. If you follow the amounts and instructions for the cashew butter here I think you'll have some success (steps 1 and 2). Walnut oil isn't necessary. I used coconut. I'm not sure how it would vary with almonds, for example, but I doubt it'd require too much more oil since they are an oily nut (hehehe oily nut).

Yay for Whole Foods eventually coming!

So is it normal to need to add oil? Many people say, "There's no need to add ANY oil, you just aren't patient enough." <--Definitely am NOT patient. So This is possible. I'll try the pulse method tonight. I normally oven roast my nuts (that woudl be weird if I were a dude), then throw them in to make the nut butter. I'd PREFER not to add any extra oil. Not because I'm scared of oil, but because it seems like that woudl be packing more calories per square inch, and this girl needs to lose weight. BADLY. I know nuts aren't prescribed for weight loss, but peanut butter is notorious for me for very filling/long-lasting snacks. I can have a TBSP of PB on one piece of bread and last three hours. Or half a banana and 1-2 TBS PB does the same thing. So I like the nut butters, but don't want to create an extra calories occasion. Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

Oh man, just read further into that recipe. Someone says "stupid delicious" and I know it just got realz. I wonder if I could make this into some type of protein concoction.

◦1.5 cups roasted unsalted cashews (or walnuts - I love walnuts)

◦2 tablespoons walnut oil

◦1 medium banana (the browner, the better)

◦1/4 cup pureed pumpkin (I used canned Pure Pumpkin)

--

◦Undiscovered amount of protein powder

1.Pull out your handy dandy food processor. It will make life soooo much easier. Add your cashews to the food processor to grind down.

2.Once your get a fine cashew meal, add your walnut oil while your food processor is still on until you get a cashew butter.

3.Then add your peeled banana and pureed pumpkin to your food processor with your cashews. Turn your food processor on and let combine for a minute or so until you have a soupy paste. Taste it. It’s stupid delicious.

--

4.Add spices including but not limited to nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, ginger.

5.Add protein powder until the mixture stiffens enough to take form.

6.Form into some kind of shape. Refrigerate (or maybe I'd have to freeze, what with the already almost-spoiled banana).

7.NOM!

I suppose I could also add protein powder in the place of (or in conjunction with - you know, going halfsies or whatever) the almond flour and bake up, but for some reason baking chemicals like protein powder weirds me out. I know. I'll eat a large pizza and drink beer, but I won't cook protein powder. It's not logical.

So is it normal to need to add oil? Many people say, "There's no need to add ANY oil, you just aren't patient enough." <--Definitely am NOT patient. So This is possible. I'll try the pulse method tonight. I normally oven roast my nuts (that woudl be weird if I were a dude), then throw them in to make the nut butter. I'd PREFER not to add any extra oil. Not because I'm scared of oil, but because it seems like that woudl be packing more calories per square inch, and this girl needs to lose weight. BADLY. I know nuts aren't prescribed for weight loss, but peanut butter is notorious for me for very filling/long-lasting snacks. I can have a TBSP of PB on one piece of bread and last three hours. Or half a banana and 1-2 TBS PB does the same thing. So I like the nut butters, but don't want to create an extra calories occasion. Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

I've never found it to be a great consistency without oil. However, maybe i'm also not patient? I also like nut butters. Too much. Seriously, I can eat the whole dang thing. But yeah, I mean, if you're eating just a TBSP or two I can't imagine it's too bad.

I've never found it to be a great consistency without oil. However, maybe i'm also not patient? I also like nut butters. Too much. Seriously, I can eat the whole dang thing. But yeah, I mean, if you're eating just a TBSP or two I can't imagine it's too bad.

The roasted walnut stuff I made I added cinnamon to. I suppose adding dry ingredients also doesn't help make it the right consistency. I can't have it all. And it's endlessly frustrating!

For protein-based snackage I adore this website. I haven't tried the bar recipes but her pancake recipes are off the hook!

Argh, sorry your job is uber frustrating. A bad job can seriously act as a cancer. I hope you're able to make a move soon! And so glad that someone actually recognized how tough it is. I actually think it makes sense that the person who noticed was newer. They haven't had time to be institutionalized to your organization and have that nice, unbiased outsider's perspective.

I keep thinking about making them treats but one of them is one of muh besties (we bonded over an appreciation of gifs-- yeah, that happened) and he doesn't like sweets. I know! I know.. but I'm a better baker than I am a cook so.. who knows. anyhow..

Even if your IT peeps don't like sweets I bet they'd looooooove a cold cut tray or something!

Oh man, just read further into that recipe. Someone says "stupid delicious" and I know it just got realz. I wonder if I could make this into some type of protein concoction.

◦1.5 cups roasted unsalted cashews (or walnuts - I love walnuts)

◦2 tablespoons walnut oil

◦1 medium banana (the browner, the better)

◦1/4 cup pureed pumpkin (I used canned Pure Pumpkin)

--

◦Undiscovered amount of protein powder

1.Pull out your handy dandy food processor. It will make life soooo much easier. Add your cashews to the food processor to grind down.

2.Once your get a fine cashew meal, add your walnut oil while your food processor is still on until you get a cashew butter.

3.Then add your peeled banana and pureed pumpkin to your food processor with your cashews. Turn your food processor on and let combine for a minute or so until you have a soupy paste. Taste it. It’s stupid delicious.

--

4.Add spices including but not limited to nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, ginger.

5.Add protein powder until the mixture stiffens enough to take form.

6.Form into some kind of shape. Refrigerate (or maybe I'd have to freeze, what with the already almost-spoiled banana).

7.NOM!

I suppose I could also add protein powder in the place of (or in conjunction with - you know, going halfsies or whatever) the almond flour and bake up, but for some reason baking chemicals like protein powder weirds me out. I know. I'll eat a large pizza and drink beer, but I won't cook protein powder. It's not logical.

i would love to do this with pecans. YUM.

also, sorry your job is sucking lately :(