• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Strawberry Squatcake

Kelly’s “Take Me Back To The Start� Challenge

Oh man, just read further into that recipe. Someone says "stupid delicious" and I know it just got realz. I wonder if I could make this into some type of protein concoction.

◦1.5 cups roasted unsalted cashews (or walnuts - I love walnuts)

◦2 tablespoons walnut oil

◦1 medium banana (the browner, the better)

◦1/4 cup pureed pumpkin (I used canned Pure Pumpkin)

--

◦Undiscovered amount of protein powder

1.Pull out your handy dandy food processor. It will make life soooo much easier. Add your cashews to the food processor to grind down.

2.Once your get a fine cashew meal, add your walnut oil while your food processor is still on until you get a cashew butter.

3.Then add your peeled banana and pureed pumpkin to your food processor with your cashews. Turn your food processor on and let combine for a minute or so until you have a soupy paste. Taste it. It’s stupid delicious.

--

4.Add spices including but not limited to nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, ginger.

5.Add protein powder until the mixture stiffens enough to take form.

6.Form into some kind of shape. Refrigerate (or maybe I'd have to freeze, what with the already almost-spoiled banana).

7.NOM!

I suppose I could also add protein powder in the place of (or in conjunction with - you know, going halfsies or whatever) the almond flour and bake up, but for some reason baking chemicals like protein powder weirds me out. I know. I'll eat a large pizza and drink beer, but I won't cook protein powder. It's not logical.

How'd I miss this?

I love her blog! she's funny and her recipes are ridiculous! That bread was smack yo' mama good. No lie.

I'd give it a shot! Honestly, I'd make it, do a small portion to bake and eat the rest with a spoon. That way you can see how it bakes up. Also, the site CC links below would probably provide some good ideas of how to get that baking.

For protein-based snackage I adore this website. I haven't tried the bar recipes but her pancake recipes are off the hook!

Argh, sorry your job is uber frustrating. A bad job can seriously act as a cancer. I hope you're able to make a move soon! And so glad that someone actually recognized how tough it is. I actually think it makes sense that the person who noticed was newer. They haven't had time to be institutionalized to your organization and have that nice, unbiased outsider's perspective.

Even if your IT peeps don't like sweets I bet they'd looooooove a cold cut tray or something!

That's brilliant! Duhhh, Laura!

HAHA! YES! That one's hilarious. When Bridesmaids came out and no one knew who Roy was, I was like, "He's the guy on IT Crowd! The Irish one that you can't decide if he's hot or not, and despite being a social recluse you kinda want to marry him." No one knew what i was talking about. Sigh.

I know right! I love him in that, I def let out a tiny squeal when I saw him and my husband chuckled, but his coworkers we were with just stared at us. They don't understand how funny it was to see him in a movie, and as a cop!

IT employees who are nice to look at? RAWR! Yesterday a coworker (after I got off the phone and was contemplating suicide) said, "God. You have a crappy job. I think you might even have the worst job in the whole company." For some reason it was comforting. I don't think anyone who doesn't watch me struggle all day, everyday, really realizes how hard it is to 1. Play middleman with all of these crappy vendors we work with, 2. lead the crusade to change - where even your own co-workers resist (I keep asking if I can go to "change management training" and people laugh at me like we don't resist change here, or like it woudl even help) 3. Listen to people complain and bitch, all day long. No one EVER thanks me - whether it's the people I'm implementing stuff for (they resist it so much, they never appreciate it when it's rolled out and never think to later come back and thank me), or upper management (who SHOULD appreciate the improvements in efficiency, but are so caught up in their own Days of our Lives drama and drug habits (seriously, I didn't realize doctors prescribed ADD meds just for fun, these people are seriously as high as coke heads). So frustrating. Anyway, don't mean to go on, but I thought it was nice that after almost five years in this position SOMEONE finally recoginized how frustrating and no-win this job is. And he's only been here about three months. Beyond that - goal is to pay off the house and get the hell out of IT for good. It's not a good fit for me. t

Argh, sorry your job is uber frustrating. A bad job can seriously act as a cancer. I hope you're able to make a move soon! And so glad that someone actually recognized how tough it is. I actually think it makes sense that the person who noticed was newer. They haven't had time to be institutionalized to your organization and have that nice, unbiased outsider's perspective.

Ugh, job frustrations... I'm glad someone could validate your gripes about your job, it makes you feel a little less like screaming I'm sure. (I secretly rejoice when people submit resignations to me, because it reminds me that I'm right about their boss being crappy.) I wonder if he was in HR, maybe he has a bash-your-head-against-a-wall kind of job too? Change management is a tricky thing, and I think even fewer people are capable of it than managing in general. And concretecavewoman has a great point, I think some people get really comfortable with the way things are that they can't see how they are treating people or handling situations, they just assume that things should stay the way they've "always been" AND that everyone has been there just as long as them and should "know that already"... I have tons of managers around here like that, who assume that their workers, even though I only just got them on board a week ago, shouldn't be asking questions anymore. They snap at them, the worker rightly gets upset, and quits, and we start the cycle over. I love my boss, and it's only out of respect for her and knowing how tough it would be for her to replace me that I haven't quit to stay home and be an internet assessor and teach English to Asian kids via webcam.

Ok, first, never in my life has a "burpee" included a pushup. When we did them in grade school they were called "squat thrusts" and when trainers have told me to do them I say, "we called these squat thrusts in grade school." And then they tell me I'm old. First, rude. Second, looks like they are different things. And burpees are harder. Seemed easy enough to add a pushup, right? No, my body seems incapable. It's like muscle memory, except for a motion. Kind of like when I learned to bump wrong in grade school volleyball and it was impossible to change my ways.

So, long excuse short, I got twenty. And frustrated. Here's to a better tomorrow. I also did a 2 mile walk/run. And bought new running shoes (online). So I was also frustrated with my running performance. And I called it a day.

I've never tried making nut butter but with everything else I make in the Vitamix I need to add a cup of liquid (enough to cover the blades) for it to be happy.

I think part of my problem MIGHT be volume, like you're saying. I have a fairly big food processor. I'm going to try that. Just have to buy MOAR NUTZ!

For protein-based snackage I adore this website. I haven't tried the bar recipes but her pancake recipes are off the hook!

Even if your IT peeps don't like sweets I bet they'd looooooove a cold cut tray or something!

Speaking for "my" IT peeps, we like pretty much anything. And unfortunately by we, I include myself. :)

Thanks for the site. I looked around and there are definitely some good things on there! I didn't see the site until last night after I made my sorta-fail pumpkin stuff. So I'll have to try it next time!

As for work. For some reason, having someone else see/recognize it made me feel better. Most of these jerks I work with act like my job's the easiest in our department and they don't know why I'm always stressed/angry/frustrated/exhausted. Guys have a special little way they make me (a girl) feel like I'm crazy. Trust me, I don't mind coming to work and working. I hate beating my head againts the wall, dealing with lazy upper managements who act helpless and uninformed, and always being the brunt of the resistance of change.

i would love to do this with pecans. YUM.

also, sorry your job is sucking lately :(

Well, the recipe didn't exactly work. Mind you, I only had a half a cup of nuts. They were the really small chopped ones, and I'm not sure having more would have helped. Well, and I put the entire can of pumpkin in. So my pumpkin-nut butter ratio was way off. But I figured I coudl add more pumpkin since I had no banana, and bananas are pretty watery when they get mashed up when they're that ripe. Soooo.. Long story short:

1/2 cup chopped walnuts - and I just food processed them until they were "mostly butter" (i realized it probablydidn't matter if they were super-creamy)

1 can pumpkin

1 Tbsp molasses

1 Tbsp honey

12 scoops protein powder

Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger to taste

This made a somewhat thick batter, but it didn't setup. I don't think I really expected it to, but didn't want to "waste" any more protein powder in case it wasn't something I wanted to eat. I didn't want something cake consistency, I wanted chewy bar consistency (hopefully to replace candy bars). I scooped some into a bowl this morning, so we'll see how it goes. If I do 10 servings, it's something like 240 calories (same as candy bar), I think nearly 30 grams of protein (better than candy bar), and I think it was 11 grams of carbs (about 1/3 of a candy bar). Since it's more runny than solid, might not be a good replacement. But we'll see!

How'd I miss this?

I love her blog! she's funny and her recipes are ridiculous! That bread was smack yo' mama good. No lie.

I'd give it a shot! Honestly, I'd make it, do a small portion to bake and eat the rest with a spoon. That way you can see how it bakes up. Also, the site CC links below would probably provide some good ideas of how to get that baking.

That's brilliant! Duhhh, Laura!

Well, I didn't end up baking up. I didn't have bananas and figured they were part of the base for making it less dry. So I TRIED (see above) to make my own version. It was kind of a fail, but maybe will work for a dessert-like substitute for stress candy bars. I won't save calories, but I'll save carbs (which I've noticed too many at once give me a stomach ache) and get more protein. So, we'll see.

I know right! I love him in that, I def let out a tiny squeal when I saw him and my husband chuckled, but his coworkers we were with just stared at us. They don't understand how funny it was to see him in a movie, and as a cop!

Ugh, job frustrations... I'm glad someone could validate your gripes about your job, it makes you feel a little less like screaming I'm sure. (I secretly rejoice when people submit resignations to me, because it reminds me that I'm right about their boss being crappy.) I wonder if he was in HR, maybe he has a bash-your-head-against-a-wall kind of job too? Change management is a tricky thing, and I think even fewer people are capable of it than managing in general. And concretecavewoman has a great point, I think some people get really comfortable with the way things are that they can't see how they are treating people or handling situations, they just assume that things should stay the way they've "always been" AND that everyone has been there just as long as them and should "know that already"... I have tons of managers around here like that, who assume that their workers, even though I only just got them on board a week ago, shouldn't be asking questions anymore. They snap at them, the worker rightly gets upset, and quits, and we start the cycle over. I love my boss, and it's only out of respect for her and knowing how tough it would be for her to replace me that I haven't quit to stay home and be an internet assessor and teach English to Asian kids via webcam.

Um.... I don't know what an internet assessor is. But teaching English to Asian kids via webcam sounds so interesting! I assume the two probably go together. But a friend of mine wants to move to Spain and teach either children or adults English. I would be so jealous. And another friend of mine is in school for speech pathology (I think) and is learning Japanese to move to Japan. He says that's where he's "meant to be." I wish I felt like i were "meant to be" somewhere! That sounds more depressing than it is, because I'm really not depressed. But I feel a little lost and like I'm wasting my life at this job, with people who don't appreciate me, doing something I'm only OK at doing. But I honestly don't have any skills. The only thing I've ever felt passionate about is helping teenage girls gain self-esteem and get out into the world knowing it's OK to be smart, to stand up for themselves, that they don't need men, and helping them find good role models and supportive people who actually want the best for them (not just to use them for their own gain). But there's nothing like that in town really to volunteer for. So it's my "If I ever win the lottery" goal.

THANK YOU!!!!

Agreed! Yay for new sites!

Also glad that someone noticed your job is crazy and frustrating. Being appreciated is one of those small things that make a big difference.

I know. It's a short-term "I feel better because it's acknowledged." It's like no one around here wants to appreciate anyone becuase then somehow THEY aren't doing a good job?? I have no idea. But I find myself feeling that way, too. Like I'm not going to appreciate anyone else because no one appreciates me. It's a bad cycle, but I feel myself in it. I think, for me, being appreciated is way up there on my "needs" lists. I don't need to be recognized publicly (I'd prefer NOT to be, in fact), I don't need to make a gagillion dollars (of course, I'll always take raises!), I don't need fancy work digs or anything. Just say "thank you" occasionally or, "I know you put a lot of work into that." It's like everyone around here is so self-absorbed they don't see anythign anyone else is doing, and so insecure that when they do, they dont' want to recognize it becasue then someone might look better than them. So sad. And definitely makes the entire work environment toxic. Because if I'm feeling it, I know everyone else is, too. Unfortunately our HR isn't like PrincessHeather. The person in charge of HR is more self-absorbed and narcisstic than most of the clueless/fake-helpless/selfish upper management. Sigh. It doesn't really help to complain, but it's nice to vent. :)

That candybar sounds awesome! I'll have to try that out. Need to buy moar protein powder though...

I'll second the being appreciated part. It's nice to know the folks around you understand that you're busting your butt. And my apologies in advance if I'm stepping out of line.

Totally out of left field: have you tried "faking it until you make it"? What I mean by that is, telling the others at work you appreciate their work to see if that changes things on their end (ostensibly to see if they'll reciprocate)? I know it sounds weird, but it might be a start.

One of the big things in my field is folks who want to "do things the way they've always done it." Mostly stubborn folks who've been around a long time, but have a lot of knowledge to share. Problem is, if you do things the way they've always done it, they'll end up with the same results they've always gotten. If they want to change the outcome but not change the process, there's a disconnect.

The other thing I've found helpful is explicitly stated expectations. That way you've got a succinct list of what's expected (up and running within a week, handling issues on their own, etc), so that when the manager comes back with something different, you can see the disconnect.

Again, my apologies if I'm coming across too strongly, that's not my intention. Just trying to help :).

Um.... I don't know what an internet assessor is. But teaching English to Asian kids via webcam sounds so interesting! I assume the two probably go together. But a friend of mine wants to move to Spain and teach either children or adults English. I would be so jealous. And another friend of mine is in school for speech pathology (I think) and is learning Japanese to move to Japan. He says that's where he's "meant to be." I wish I felt like i were "meant to be" somewhere! That sounds more depressing than it is, because I'm really not depressed. But I feel a little lost and like I'm wasting my life at this job, with people who don't appreciate me, doing something I'm only OK at doing. But I honestly don't have any skills. The only thing I've ever felt passionate about is helping teenage girls gain self-esteem and get out into the world knowing it's OK to be smart, to stand up for themselves, that they don't need men, and helping them find good role models and supportive people who actually want the best for them (not just to use them for their own gain). But there's nothing like that in town really to volunteer for. So it's my "If I ever win the lottery" goal.

An internet assessor is someone who bacially evaluates search engine results and does projects online for a company that more or less helps google become better at what google does. It seems like a sweet gig for someone who already does a lot of online researching and wants to be able to work from home. It's actually pretty hardcore to get it, they require you to pass several tests and have a college degree. It's one of my fallbacks if I ever have a meltdown and punch a coworker in the face! And the English thing, there is a firm based in South Dakota and Wyoming (go figure) that trains people to be teachers in English immersion. You webcam with classes and pretty much just talk to them and play games or whatever, all in English so they can have that exposure. The only reason I'm not doing either fo these is that I can't get up the nerve to quit this job and with school, adding on several hours a day at either of these would only stress me out more.

That candybar sounds awesome! I'll have to try that out. Need to buy moar protein powder though...

I'll work on the recipe and post something that's more bar/solid-state when I have it perfected. Or closer to perfect. :)

I'll second the being appreciated part. It's nice to know the folks around you understand that you're busting your butt. And my apologies in advance if I'm stepping out of line.

Nope. Not over-stepping!

Totally out of left field: have you tried "faking it until you make it"? What I mean by that is, telling the others at work you appreciate their work to see if that changes things on their end (ostensibly to see if they'll reciprocate)? I know it sounds weird, but it might be a start.

Yes, I have done this. There's never any reciprocation, so it tends to make me more bitter. I do try to give credit for those who aren't taking all of the spotlight (in other words NON-managers, the managers tend to steal the spotlight of their employees by saying, "my employees" or "my peeps" <--what's that about??). My issue is mostly with managers. So when I'm in the "spotlight" I go out of my way to give credit to non-managers. Sometimes that actually makes THEIR managers bitter. not sure if it's because they're mad I'm the one giving credit (and wish they'd done it) or they're mad they don't get credit for something their departmetn did. Hey, I get you manage these people. But let's be honest. Many employees do their jobs with very little intervention/micro-managing by managers. And I think they deserve some credit!

One of the big things in my field is folks who want to "do things the way they've always done it." Mostly stubborn folks who've been around a long time, but have a lot of knowledge to share. Problem is, if you do things the way they've always done it, they'll end up with the same results they've always gotten. If they want to change the outcome but not change the process, there's a disconnect.

This. SO much of this. Spilled all over my work!! And this is from employees who have been doign stuff a very short time, realize it's inefficient, AND complain about it! It's so confusing to me. If you hate something so much, why aren't you willing to fix/improve it. In many cases, that means automating repetitive stuff. Stuff they complain constantly about. Then I go to automate it, and everyone freaks out. My boss says it's because they're afraid their job will be eliminated. But that has NEVER happened. WE have never laid anyone off. Sure, sometimes that means you get new work. But no one ever gets laid off. (Or fired for that matter.)

The other thing I've found helpful is explicitly stated expectations. That way you've got a succinct list of what's expected (up and running within a week, handling issues on their own, etc), so that when the manager comes back with something different, you can see the disconnect.

I do try to do this. The problem with new stuff is you don't always see all of the steps. You see A (where you are) and Z (where you want to be), but don't generally know what's going ot happen in between. And these managers are strangely inflexible, and seem to need everything spoon-fed to them. Which woudl be OK, if they'd also be willing to spoon-feed everyone impacted. But they aren't willing. So they don't want to do the work, deal with the problems, work through the roadblocks, etc. But they also don't want to hand off to anyone else in their department who is more detail-oriented (because they want credit when the project is done). It's so strange to me. I'm a control freak, but I LIKE the details. But these managers want me to know today what's going to come up next week, next month, at the tail end of aproject that doesn't look like it looked when it started. Sigh. I think I'm just burned out! :)

Again, my apologies if I'm coming across too strongly, that's not my intention. Just trying to help :).

Nope, again, you aren't coming across strongly at all. I know what you're saying, and I feel like I've tried everything. AT this point I do feel defeated and have given up. I know there's always more I can do, but when I keep re-encountering the same managers (who are at the top, so there's no "over their head") it's exhausting to start with. But you're right. I'm not being very open to change.

This. SO much of this. Spilled all over my work!! And this is from employees who have been doign stuff a very short time, realize it's inefficient, AND complain about it! It's so confusing to me. If you hate something so much, why aren't you willing to fix/improve it. In many cases, that means automating repetitive stuff. Stuff they complain constantly about. Then I go to automate it, and everyone freaks out. My boss says it's because they're afraid their job will be eliminated. But that has NEVER happened. WE have never laid anyone off. Sure, sometimes that means you get new work. But no one ever gets laid off. (Or fired for that matter.)

I understand about that, trust me. When people hear "automated" they go nutso thinking the robots are taking over (spoiler alert: they already have, it's just more subtle than the Terminator, :) ). You still need experienced folks to tell the computer what to do, keep up with new changes, THINK, etc. It's no simple task that's for sure. And in the end, if it IS something a computer can automate without human input... they might need to expand their skillset or take on additional responsibilities (again, apologies if this is coming across harshly). The only thing I've done in the past is allay their fears about layoffs (without absolutes, unless you know for absolute certainty about those activities) and show them how much time they'll save by doing the new automated shuffle.

On expectations though, they can evolve, but it's the communication of the new expectations as they come up. Once you figure out what step B-Y are, run them past the appropriate folks and get their buy in. Out of curiosity, does the company you work for have a set path for new projects?

Something that has been impressed upon me recently is the importance of documenting meetings and conversations that change the direction of your work. Even if it's a simple email after a phone call saying "Dear XYZ manager, per our phone call today, blah blah blah.", it gives a record of what's going on (so that in the future when folks get upset things didn't turn out exactly as they had planned, you can refer them to their own words). I'm still struggling to do this my own self because I get deluded into thinking "surely they'll remember this conversation". Don't listen! It might be years from now that things get brought up again, and I don't trust myself to remember things from last week!

Something that has been impressed upon me recently is the importance of documenting meetings and conversations that change the direction of your work. Even if it's a simple email after a phone call saying "Dear XYZ manager, per our phone call today, blah blah blah.", it gives a record of what's going on (so that in the future when folks get upset things didn't turn out exactly as they had planned, you can refer them to their own words). I'm still struggling to do this my own self because I get deluded into thinking "surely they'll remember this conversation". Don't listen! It might be years from now that things get brought up again, and I don't trust myself to remember things from last week!

Oh my gosh this! I have a manager here who is saying he didn't get some paperwork until like a month after it was given to him... but I have no records or emails or anything. I handed it to him and thought that was that. Frustrating, cause now it's become my fault that he isn't done with that project. Need to get better about this for sure.

I understand about that, trust me. When people hear "automated" they go nutso thinking the robots are taking over (spoiler alert: they already have, it's just more subtle than the Terminator, :) ). You still need experienced folks to tell the computer what to do, keep up with new changes, THINK, etc. It's no simple task that's for sure. And in the end, if it IS something a computer can automate without human input... they might need to expand their skillset or take on additional responsibilities (again, apologies if this is coming across harshly). The only thing I've done in the past is allay their fears about layoffs (without absolutes, unless you know for absolute certainty about those activities) and show them how much time they'll save by doing the new automated shuffle.

On expectations though, they can evolve, but it's the communication of the new expectations as they come up. Once you figure out what step B-Y are, run them past the appropriate folks and get their buy in. Out of curiosity, does the company you work for have a set path for new projects?

The problem with communication is it's considered "acceptable behavior" for these managers to be on their phones and iPads and laptops during meetings. I've requested it be mandated that the electronics are turned off during meetings, but the excuse is "they might be using them to take notes or email those responsible." Too bad I can see they have Facebook up. Anyway, I do usually follow up meetings with minutes. I've tried them in Word documents, and tried them in the text of email. Then a month later they say they've never heard of x, y and z. Even if I resend the email I've previous sent, there's no accountability. It's funny they're on these portable devices all day long but can't keep up with their emails. Sigh.

But you're right. These are all good things to do. And I know I'm complaining about something that will never get better as long as the corporate environment doesn't create accountability or repercussions. Right now there are none. However, **I** am held responsible for finishing projects, making sure everything is done, etc. It's endlessly frustrating.

Oh my gosh this! I have a manager here who is saying he didn't get some paperwork until like a month after it was given to him... but I have no records or emails or anything. I handed it to him and thought that was that. Frustrating, cause now it's become my fault that he isn't done with that project. Need to get better about this for sure.

I hate that. I prefer email, too. And sometimes will follow up handing someoen something with an email that says, "Let me know if you have qeustions about x that I gave yo uthis afternoon." Of course, then they say they didn't get the email or know what it was about and you're back as the one held responsible... So frustrating!

OK, it's Friday, and I REALLY want to go into this weekend on a positive note. So I will not be complaining about work ANY MORE. <3 I need to just let it go and not care. A girl I work with said, "Your personality is a really good thing, but you care too much about stuff you can't control. It helps me to think of things I can control in a box. And everything else is laying on the floor. SHe said, "Your responsibility is for your stuff. Only your stuff. You take care of the stuff in the box. And the rest is not your problem." The problem is I feel like I'm held responsible for the stuff on the floor being in the right room. If that even makes sense. So it's not necessarily MY responsibility but when someone loses it, then I'm responsible for finding it. Or fixing it when someoen steps on it in the dark at night. So I' mbetter off picking up everyone's stuff and putting it on my shelves and not giving it back to them. :) :) :)

OK, it's Friday, and I REALLY want to go into this weekend on a positive note. So I will not be complaining about work ANY MORE. <3 I need to just let it go and not care. A girl I work with said, "Your personality is a really good thing, but you care too much about stuff you can't control. It helps me to think of things I can control in a box. And everything else is laying on the floor. SHe said, "Your responsibility is for your stuff. Only your stuff. You take care of the stuff in the box. And the rest is not your problem." The problem is I feel like I'm held responsible for the stuff on the floor being in the right room. If that even makes sense. So it's not necessarily MY responsibility but when someone loses it, then I'm responsible for finding it. Or fixing it when someoen steps on it in the dark at night. So I' mbetter off picking up everyone's stuff and putting it on my shelves and not giving it back to them. :) :) :)

That's hard to understand for all of us. We all tack on more responsibilities to ourselves. Or you're the blamer, but I doubt you'd be a returning member of NF if you were the blamer :P

I do this. And I'm slowly learning to wean myself off. It's definitely not easy. Also, I think that the small devices make it harder to keep up with email. I never want to respond on them, but I'll damn well read it because I'm curious. I read it then exit because devices are one dimensional really. I want to do something else and "promise" myself I'll go back to it. Devices can only have one focus at a time. Unlike on my computer when I open an email, I'll leave it open do other things and eventually end up back at it when I finish things up. Then I respond to close that window. Tablets/phones don't give you that same reminder. Definitely is ironic!

That's hard to understand for all of us. We all tack on more responsibilities to ourselves. Or you're the blamer, but I doubt you'd be a returning member of NF if you were the blamer :P

I do this. And I'm slowly learning to wean myself off. It's definitely not easy. Also, I think that the small devices make it harder to keep up with email. I never want to respond on them, but I'll damn well read it because I'm curious. I read it then exit because devices are one dimensional really. I want to do something else and "promise" myself I'll go back to it. Devices can only have one focus at a time. Unlike on my computer when I open an email, I'll leave it open do other things and eventually end up back at it when I finish things up. Then I respond to close that window. Tablets/phones don't give you that same reminder. Definitely is ironic!

Agree. 100%. I think it's nice for emergencies when someone needs to see something. otherwise, I think it just makes everyone more scattered. So instead of going into a meeting and focusing on that for 15 minutes, the meetings take a half hour because everyone's scattered, and still don't get as much out of it. No one takes time off at night/on weekends/for holidays or vacations because they're actually addicted to checking their email (or in case of our managers, sadly, things like Facebook). Sit the mobile device down and walk away.

And i do the same thing with emails. I'll sometimes scroll through my email when I have a day off but know stuff is going on. But I try not to open anything unless I think it's high priority (and ACTUAL high priority, not the strange "everything's high priority" perspective everyone takes now) because I will also forget to respond. And once a message is marked as read, I have a hard time remembering to re-read it.

Ugh. Technology. And I work in IT!

First week in review:

Diet and Fitness Goals:

1. Lift two times per week (squat/bench/DL/bent rows one day, squat/OHP/DL/inverted rows the 2nd), cardio (of whatever variety I choose, just get moving to improve endurance) three times per week. 30 points possible, up to 5 per week. (2 STR, 2 STA)

Did four sessions of cardio (I get credit for three). But only lifted once. So I get 4/5 for this week. 4/30 so far. I actually want to do MORE cardio this week. My shoes should be arriving later this week. And I'm hoping to get more running/intervals in outside of that. But otherwise, I'll be biking, walking, and doing whatever else to get my heart rate up and burn some fat!

2. Plan and prep meals – Plan the following week’s meals and grocery list by Thursday of the current week. Grocery shop over the weekend. And make the bulk of the week’s food on Sundays. (12 possible points. One for planning by Thursday. One for prepping by Sunday night.) (2 WIS, 2 CHA, 1 CON)

1/2 for this week. Planned and bought groceries, but spent yesterday afternoon painting instead of prepping. I still had enough food for lunch today, and can do the prepping tonight. But didn't do what i wanted to do.

3. Zombie Run – Complete in less than 1 hour. I did the Warrior Dash in 1 hour 8 minutes (no judging). The course isn’t exactly the same, but from what I’ve heard aside from the zombies, it’s very similar. 5K through a field with obstacles (and zombies). Training for this will partially be the cardio in #1, but hopefully a goal finish time will ensure I run more. All or nothing. Sub 1 hour gets points. (Side note, if I ran a 5K on a flat, paved surface, I think I’d finish in about 40 minutes. And this will be a hilly course that’s not paved, with likely lines at obstacles.) (2 DEX, 2 STA)

No real progress on this, other than buying new shoes.

Life Goal:

Yard – I have two landscaping areas in my backyard I need to take care of before winter. I also want to fertilize my yard two more times before it freezes. The fertilizing is easy as long as I do it. Cleaning up the landscaping area is the time-consuming/grueling work. I know – I did the front yard this weekend. So 25% for fertilizing, and 75% for the landscaping. (2 CHA)

No real progress on this. I'm contemplating planting a tree in my backyard in the spring, so I'm trying to prepare the yard for that. I've never planted a tree, so I'm sure this will end in disaster. :) Anyway, I hope to work on this this weekend. My parents are supposed to be coming over to help wiht some electrical stuff this weekend, so we'll see how long of a project that is.

Nice progress on week one. I'm trying to plan out my meals right now, I didn't exactly follow my plan either, but I've still got enough to get me through a couple of days, so I'll probably do my shopping this evening.

Glad to see you are getting so into cardio! Just don't go swapping over to Scouts on us haha! Keep up the good work!

Just stopping by to wish you luck on this challenge, I know I'm kinda late (don't' laff!). I've been struggling with the food stuffs as well. I'm currently trying to resist free bagels, brownies, and 3 varieties of cup cakes!!!

Agree. 100%. I think it's nice for emergencies when someone needs to see something. otherwise, I think it just makes everyone more scattered. So instead of going into a meeting and focusing on that for 15 minutes, the meetings take a half hour because everyone's scattered, and still don't get as much out of it. No one takes time off at night/on weekends/for holidays or vacations because they're actually addicted to checking their email (or in case of our managers, sadly, things like Facebook). Sit the mobile device down and walk away.

And i do the same thing with emails. I'll sometimes scroll through my email when I have a day off but know stuff is going on. But I try not to open anything unless I think it's high priority (and ACTUAL high priority, not the strange "everything's high priority" perspective everyone takes now) because I will also forget to respond. And once a message is marked as read, I have a hard time remembering to re-read it.

Ugh. Technology. And I work in IT!

My husband just got a smart phone (we're a little Amish sometimes, behind on the times lol) and the whole 3 weeks he was researching and deciding between iPhone 5 and Galaxy SIII, I was harassing him about making sure it didn't turn him into a spastic zombie. I love technology, but I'm pretty cynical about people who are constantly checking their phones for updates and ignoring the things going on around them. I think it makes people scattered as you said, and they miss out on things or get overwhelmed. I HATE seeing that stupid red ! in my outlook and then reading the email and it does not warrant it. I've made it a point to not check emails or answer calls from work when I leave for the day or the weekend, I'm not paid to do so, so I won't. Nothing is an emergency in my book, and if it is, you should be calling the proper authorities and not me :)

ALSO, don't be down on yourself, you had a good week one :D

Nice progress on week one. I'm trying to plan out my meals right now, I didn't exactly follow my plan either, but I've still got enough to get me through a couple of days, so I'll probably do my shopping this evening.

Glad to see you are getting so into cardio! Just don't go swapping over to Scouts on us haha! Keep up the good work!

Don't you worry. If I could get and stay at a healthy weight without ever doign any type of cardio (running, walking, jogging, intervals, HIIT, biking, kickboxing, whatever) again, I'd happily do so. But that approach apparently didn't work for me. Plus, I think the cardio balances something in my brain (don't laugh!) - and having given it up, I can see how it's not working so well for me. A friend of mine gave me the, "I say this because I love you and want you to be happy..." speech this past week. She's totally right. And hopefully doing more blood-pumping cardio will help me get back in a less-bummed out groove. I hate being negative and cynical. But it's like I get in a rut and I don't see the positive, almost like I think happy people are faking it. :) I know that's not true, but da-yum. So that's why I'm trying to FORCE myself into any kind of cardio, even as little as 10-15 minutes. Does wonders for my outlook!

I did buy a roast, so that's in the fridge for me. I was going to throw it in the crockpot today but still have some leftover chicken and a little bit of noodle-free lasagna. That might be a treat for tomorrow. Trying to decide what to put with it. Normally my mom put in carrots and potatoes. Not sure if sweet potatoes would be good. Or what else to try. Anyone have any slow cooker paleo roast ideas? I'll be googling that this afternoon.

Just stopping by to wish you luck on this challenge, I know I'm kinda late (don't' laff!). I've been struggling with the food stuffs as well. I'm currently trying to resist free bagels, brownies, and 3 varieties of cup cakes!!!

Oh man. I'm the worst with willpower when it's at work. Well, in my area. I do decent with stuff in teh breakroom. But otherwise, it's so hard to resist. And why can't there just be ONE kind of junk. Then at least you can cheat and be done with it. When there are five things to choose from, it's like, "OK, now I just need a bite of that." But you can't take just a bite, you have to take the whole thing, then suddenly it's gone! :)

nice progress.

i had a "slow" week 1 also.

tl; dr; <3

Slow progress is better than spiraling downward, as last challenge went for me. ;) So I guess I should look at it that way!

Looks like a pretty good start!

More cardio, huh? Okay, and intervals are good for you, but don't let your barbell get lonely!

Don't worry. I think I'm avoiding the barbell because my numbers have gone down. WEll, and this weekend the burpees wer harder than I anticipated. My whole body hurt. How do your legs even hurt from that? Well, and I did yardwork, so it's possible the legs were aching from that. Who knows. I've told myself no matter what, I need to do at least squats. So if after I do squats I'm still not feeling it, at least that's a good workout for me, and probably gets my heart pumping more than anything. Uusally once I do squats, the rest of the lifting isn't so intimidating.

Mostly I want to do interval running to get ready for the zombie run. But I'm also doing HIIT. Bike rides. And I'll admit there may have been a step aerobics video or two in there. Hey, whatever I can do to keep moving I'm happy with!

My husband just got a smart phone (we're a little Amish sometimes, behind on the times lol) and the whole 3 weeks he was researching and deciding between iPhone 5 and Galaxy SIII, I was harassing him about making sure it didn't turn him into a spastic zombie. I love technology, but I'm pretty cynical about people who are constantly checking their phones for updates and ignoring the things going on around them. I think it makes people scattered as you said, and they miss out on things or get overwhelmed. I HATE seeing that stupid red ! in my outlook and then reading the email and it does not warrant it. I've made it a point to not check emails or answer calls from work when I leave for the day or the weekend, I'm not paid to do so, so I won't. Nothing is an emergency in my book, and if it is, you should be calling the proper authorities and not me :)

ALSO, don't be down on yourself, you had a good week one :D

I so know what you mean. And the funny thing is my older sister doesn't do cell phones. But her daughter and son look at me like I'm choosing to do drugs over pay attention to them when I pull out my phone. My nephew will say, "Kelly, pay attention to me!" So that's a great reminder tht I'm letting an insignificant THING be more important than PEOPLE. I don't want to be that person. It's endlessly annoying when I'm having a convo with someone and they say, "Oh, hold on" then text about ten people. Great, I'm glad I took the time to meet you for drinks/dinner! :)

Nice week 1, buddy!!

I do the same thing re: forgetting. I do it with texts, email, fb updates, etc. Ooops!

Well, there's too much stuff to remember, if you ask me! It's hell getting old! ;)

My husband just got a smart phone (we're a little Amish sometimes, behind on the times lol)

It's not just you... we don't have them. We actually just had a conversation the other day about how if cell phone companies end up forcing everybody into smart phones, I'd rather just give up my cell and go back to a landline. I do not like being bullied into a bigger cell phone bill. Kind of the same reason we haven't had cable for 5+ years at this point.

Don't you worry. If I could get and stay at a healthy weight without ever doign any type of cardio (running, walking, jogging, intervals, HIIT, biking, kickboxing, whatever) again, I'd happily do so. But that approach apparently didn't work for me. Plus, I think the cardio balances something in my brain (don't laugh!) - and having given it up, I can see how it's not working so well for me. A friend of mine gave me the, "I say this because I love you and want you to be happy..." speech this past week. She's totally right. And hopefully doing more blood-pumping cardio will help me get back in a less-bummed out groove. I hate being negative and cynical. But it's like I get in a rut and I don't see the positive, almost like I think happy people are faking it. :) I know that's not true, but da-yum. So that's why I'm trying to FORCE myself into any kind of cardio, even as little as 10-15 minutes. Does wonders for my outlook!

If cardio makes you feel this way, then keep making yourself do it. Eventually, you won't have to force yourself because you'll be back in a place where you WANT that feeling. That's totally how I am with lifting.

I did buy a roast, so that's in the fridge for me. I was going to throw it in the crockpot today but still have some leftover chicken and a little bit of noodle-free lasagna. That might be a treat for tomorrow. Trying to decide what to put with it. Normally my mom put in carrots and potatoes. Not sure if sweet potatoes would be good. Or what else to try. Anyone have any slow cooker paleo roast ideas? I'll be googling that this afternoon.

Sweet potatoes go with everything.

Looks like you're starting to get back into the groove, which I'm happy to see. :)

It's not just you... we don't have them. We actually just had a conversation the other day about how if cell phone companies end up forcing everybody into smart phones, I'd rather just give up my cell and go back to a landline. I do not like being bullied into a bigger cell phone bill. Kind of the same reason we haven't had cable for 5+ years at this point.

Yeah, he finally broke down, but I'm still holding out. I honestly don't think I'd use it to it's potential, and the cost to me is not worth it at all. I'm worried about when they'll force it on everyone too... At that point a landline and maybe just sharing the one smartphone or something. I don't like that I have to have a data plan to use a PHONE.

Kelly, you're doing great! The barbell will be there when you're ready for it, no matter what your numbers are. And if running is helpful do it... for that matter, if synchronized swimming is helpful, do it! You said it yourself:

Hey, whatever I can do to keep moving I'm happy with!