MEN ONLY THREAD part two

7 hours ago, Captainfantastic said:

Hello Men! I have a beard question!

why does my beard only grow on the right side of my face? 

Do I have a dominant face side? Am I right faced? 

How can I make my left face more hairy? 

Many help is nice!

Well, let's see, you're  (counts on fingers and toes, uses ears and nose too) 23 years old.  In other words YOUNG.  As you get older the beard will thicken (also lighten, note my picture in the corner).

One thing that's helpful to get from the "Looks like I didn't shave" to "Looks like I have a beard" stages when it's just growing in is to trim it, shave the throat and up on the cheeks.  After about two weeks of growing my beard (about 25 years ago) I shaved my neck and cheeks, and I immediately went from looking scruffy and unshaven to bearded.

• Like 2

Heh, I have maybe 100 hairs growing on my face total, and I'm 25.  Honestly I wouldn't mind it so much if all of them were bunched right on my chin, or around my mouth, so I could do something with it.  But they're all over my face and none of it is worth keeping, so I've just taken up old-school safety razor shaving with a bowl and brush.  A bit more of a process to do, but man my face feels great after.

"Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion.  Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare.  Impossible is potential, impossible is temporary, impossible is NOTHING." -Muhammad Ali

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." -Hellen Keller

Ferocity (2),  2 Becoming Capable, Becoming a Ranger

12 hours ago, The Spider said:

Heh, I have maybe 100 hairs growing on my face total, and I'm 25.  Honestly I wouldn't mind it so much if all of them were bunched right on my chin, or around my mouth, so I could do something with it.  But they're all over my face and none of it is worth keeping, so I've just taken up old-school safety razor shaving with a bowl and brush.  A bit more of a process to do, but man my face feels great after.

Old school is the way to go, I use an old-fashioned double-edge razor with brush and soap to shave my throat and cheeks.  Much better shave than you get with a disposable, and cheaper than everything else out there once you have the handle.  Someday when I won the lottery I'm gonna get a badger-hair brush, but for now I have a cheap one.

• Like 1

See, I've always wanted to learn how to shave old-school, how did you guys learn? Where do I start?

sent from my phone whilst exploring new dungeons

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

My dad always shaved with a double edged safety razor, brush and mug of William's mug soap. I'm 50, but I started transitioning to male and taking testosterone 1 1/2 years ago. I'm still naming the hairs on my chin. A good wet shave does make you feel dandy, though. I learned from watching my dad... and from You Tube. There are a ton of shaving enthusiasts. Also take a look at Badger and Boar shave forum if you want to geek out on shave gear. I kept it cheap and simple.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I did that for a while. It's harder than it looks. I always had to shave under my nose with a regular razor so I didn't have a Hitler 'stache.

I have this razor

And I just usually buy Wilkinson blades from the drug store.

The hardest part to learn is to use LIGHT pressure, even if it takes multiple passes.

As I said above, I use the razor to shave my throat and my cheeks above my beard.

I always shave right after I shower, and I wash my face multiple times with warm-to-hot water.  While I'm showering the razor and brush are in a sink full of hot water. shake the brush to get the excess water off, then rub it on the soap (I use regular shaving soap, also from the drug store), then apply to face and let sit for a while.  If the lather seems dry (you'll learn to tell) dampen the brush and apply some more.  Keep a sharp angle between the blade and your skin (the blade should be almost flat against your skin), and light pressure (for instance,on your cheeks just tip your face to the side and the weight of the razor is enough pressure).

If your skin is particularly sensitive pre-shave oils work well, you could probably get away with plain old olive oil too.

If I'm trying for a very close shave I usually lather and shave two or three times, once with the grain, once against, and sometimes once across.  If it's just a general shave I usually just do one pass.

After you're done rinse the razor in HOT water (which will help it dry faster and prevent rust), shake dry, and I usually store it standing on it's side so water will drain.

I should mention, I shaved for years with disposable razors before I started with the double-edge.  A few years ago I went to a wedding and forgot my razor, so I had to shave with a disposable and I HATED it.

4 hours ago, Red1263 said:

See, I've always wanted to learn how to shave old-school, how did you guys learn? Where do I start?

sent from my phone whilst exploring new dungeons

I learned from the article on "the art of manliness" page called "how to shave like your dad/grandpa/great grandpa" (I don't remember exactly I think there are multiple). 

• Like 1

"Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion.  Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare.  Impossible is potential, impossible is temporary, impossible is NOTHING." -Muhammad Ali

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." -Hellen Keller

What's funny to me is that neither my Grandfather or Father can grow beards to save their lives, however my maternal Grandfather who I never met had an epic lumberjack beard that he grew after the service; so there was no hope of someone teaching me how to shave lmao

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

13 hours ago, Kanaman said:

Can I just get this off my chest? I hate, hate, hate shaving. But at the same time, grooming a beard is incredibly bothersome. So I shave. I use a disposable and a brush. And, for the most part, keep my blood inside my body. 

I actually liked adding to my "procedure." I didn't like shaving when I used a disposable blade and nothing special aftershave.  Once I personalized it, I enjoyed it more.  Fresh smelling pre-shave coconut oil, bowl and brush with a classic smelling shave soap, shaving with something that feels like a tool in my hand, not a toy, and putting on a refreshing aftershave that feels good has made shaving take a lot longer, but it feels more like I'm investing in my appearance which has helped.

I have used razors, not just disposables.  I have one my dad gave me.  It uses blades, it is a great shave, but I am impatient and have a hard time shaving without my glasses. I shave in the shower so my skin is nice and soft, you know, like a loofah.

Level 12 Warrior - not sure how that happened

Battlelog: Kanaman Lifts Things

Epic Quests: Kanaman's Epic Quest of Awesome Epicness

On 22/02/2017 at 1:12 PM, DanielLee5 said:

Here are some helpful tips to avoid irritation...

That is an appallingly written article. Spelling and grammar errors abound, but worse, I don't actually know whether these are tips on what to do or what NOT to do. For instance, tip number four is to shave against the grain - this gives a closer shave but increases skin irritation and can cause the pimples we're trying to avoid. So should it be to NOT shave against the grain? I have no idea.

• Like 1

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

18 hours ago, Artinum said:

That is an appallingly written article. Spelling and grammar errors abound, but worse, I don't actually know whether these are tips on what to do or what NOT to do. For instance, tip number four is to shave against the grain - this gives a closer shave but increases skin irritation and can cause the pimples we're trying to avoid. So should it be to NOT shave against the grain? I have no idea.

Didn't read the article but I can tell you that shaving WITH the grain on the first go around will reduce the irritation when/if you shave AGAINST on the next go around. Also using a shaving cream/soap reduces friction which will also help.

4 hours ago, The Spider said:

Didn't read the article but I can tell you that shaving WITH the grain on the first go around will reduce the irritation when/if you shave AGAINST on the next go around. Also using a shaving cream/soap reduces friction which will also help.

Do some people attempt to shave with a blade (or blades) WITHOUT shaving cream or soap?  :confused::confused:

That explains a lot of the complaints.  :acne:

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Mark D said:

Do some people attempt to shave with a blade (or blades) WITHOUT shaving cream or soap?  :confused::confused:

Sometimes when I am in a rush I'll use the gillette with no soap... it's not that bad. With the safety/straight I always use soap. I'll run a washcloth under hot water and put if on my neck until it cools off. That helps a lot.

On 2/24/2017 at 11:42 AM, Mark D said:

When I first started as a teenager everyone with whom I had spoken concerning shaving had convinced me that shaving cream and soap was "just expensive goo" and otherwise not worth it.  So when I was younger I used one of those 3-4 blade razors on my patches of peach fuzz then just dealt with my incredibly dry and irritated skin lol.  Oh, youth.

Edit: also, best use of that bloodied smiley face I've seen. LOL

I had just shaved off my beard this morning. Electric razor to get it down to stubble, then a nice close wet shave to get it smooth.

Felt good. Makes me look a decade or two younger. Which may not be a good thing. HAHA.

• Like 1

Certified Nerd. Licensed Husband. Verified Father. Making a Good Man Better.

You can't stop change, only influence the consequences by acting or not acting.

Slow steady progress, at maximum effort.

The thing I'm struggling with the most is.... learning to be a leader with people who don't want to be led.

And by don't want to be led meaning you can tell them the house is on fire, they would see the smoke and flames and still sit there and call you an idiot.

• Like 5

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim