MEN ONLY THREAD part two

35 minutes ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

Anorexia is a bitch, and just when you think you got something beaten it rears it's ugly head back; make sure you are eating enough calories with the amount that you are working out. aka Losing 10 lbs in one week is not healthy....

Yeah, I feel you on that one. And it seems like every time it comes back, it's worse than before (at least from my experience).

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

She refuses to see anyone, and thinks everything is my fault, so basically it's over. 

And by anyone I mean her heart stopped while giving birth to our 2nd daughter, she hasn't been to a Doctor at all since she gave birth, so yea I can't see her talking to anyone

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

1 hour ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

For the divorced people in here, how did you know when it was time? 

We went to marriage counseling five times. Each time she bailed early in the process. The real clinker was when I realized I was the only one putting any effort into the relationship.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

5 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

This is over my pay grade as far as advice goes. I hope you two are able to figure it out.

This but. Maybe it's worth you talking to Frost. It's better if you both go but even if you don't, having a professional listener around as you deal with this may help you. 

• Like 2

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Random question.

Does anyone else have...chafing issues when going on long walks? Like a$$ cheek chafing. Hurts like hell after the fact. A friend suggested different undies (I wear boxer briefs).

Any thoughts other than shmearing anti-chafe in the stinky valley prior to any distance walk (anywhere from 2-10 miles)

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

1 hour ago, farflight said:

Random question.

Does anyone else have...chafing issues when going on long walks? Like a$$ cheek chafing. Hurts like hell after the fact. A friend suggested different undies (I wear boxer briefs).

Any thoughts other than shmearing anti-chafe in the stinky valley prior to any distance walk (anywhere from 2-10 miles)

It gets better with repetition but it can be brutal if you're just getting into long walking or running.In Basic we used Gold Bond or talcum. Since then I have used Body Glide at times and it can help. A good pair of lycra-type compression shorts help a lot too. 

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?? As a former super angry super bullied kid this is not fucking acceptable, where and when did it become acceptable to kill someone because you were picked on? Fuck I prayed for the end of high school to just get away. I never once thought hey if I shoot these people making my life miserable my life would become perfect; that is what a moron thinks. you shoot someone you are either going to die or end up in jail for the rest of your life and what the fuck does that solve nothing. 

What do we need to do? Do we need more school therapists, start more Big brother clubs? Ban the internet for anyone under 18?  There are no easy answers but we can't keep on going the same way.

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

16 hours ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

What do we need to do? Do we need more school therapists, start more Big brother clubs? Ban the internet for anyone under 18?  There are no easy answers but we can't keep on going the same way.

There are essentially two problems. One of them, which pretty much every other nation in the civilised world understands, is that giving people easy access to guns is not a good idea. It doesn't stop people going nuts and going on killing sprees. It doesn't always stop people from finding guns. But it does make it a lot harder for them to do as much damage.

But that's an old and pointless argument. It's never going to change anything.

What might start making a difference is to address America's other problem - news media. It'll take a while to start working but if you ban the media from reporting the details of the shooter, they will start becoming less frequent. Don't show their crappy YouTube videos. Don't give their names, ages, even their gender. What these people really want is to be famous. They want to be noticed, to feel like their warped opinions matter. Don't give them that pleasure. Report on the victims, sure - make it clear what's happened and that it shouldn't. But ignore the shooter entirely.

• Like 1

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

11 hours ago, Artinum said:

There are essentially two problems. One of them, which pretty much every other nation in the civilised world understands, is that giving people easy access to guns is not a good idea.

That your government ‘gives’ you your rights, shows the fundamental difference between the U.K. and the U.S. 

Property.

Due process.

molon-labe-american-flag.jpg

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

May I suggest we not get into a debate about this here. There are other outlets for that and no one’s mind will be changed.

Sloth is right. Let's not necessitate the locking of this thread.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

It's all over my news feed so lets end this Michael Jordan vs Lebron James nonsense right now. If they played 1 on 1 it would be a draw. However it's a team game and I am 1000% sure that the numbers 3-5 and the bench players of Michael Jordan's era would not even make the practice squad of today's NBA. Just like Lou Gehrig would not bat .400 for an entire season or Babe Ruth would have as many home runs in today's baseball.

Daily Mile

4 minutes ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

It's all over my news feed so lets end this Michael Jordan vs Lebron James nonsense right now. If they played 1 on 1 it would be a draw. However it's a team game and I am 1000% sure that the numbers 3-5 and the bench players of Michael Jordan's era would not even make the practice squad of today's NBA. Just like Lou Gehrig would not bat .400 for an entire season or Babe Ruth would have as many home runs in today's baseball.

The simple truth is I liked Jordan and I do not like LeBron, therefore Jordan is the superior player because I want him to be.

Same logic applies to Star Trek vs Star Wars, Picard vs Kirk, Deep Space 9 vs Babylon 5, ad infinitum.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

On 5/18/2018 at 1:11 PM, Frost of the Gloaming said:

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?? As a former super angry super bullied kid this is not fucking acceptable, where and when did it become acceptable to kill someone because you were picked on? Fuck I prayed for the end of high school to just get away. I never once thought hey if I shoot these people making my life miserable my life would become perfect; that is what a moron thinks. you shoot someone you are either going to die or end up in jail for the rest of your life and what the fuck does that solve nothing. 

I think there are multiple issues which combined form a perfect storm.

I should probably start off by saying I'll turn 55 years old next month, and I can see that the society we live in now is very different from the one I grew up in.

First, the gorilla in the room (and where everyone wants to put the blame), guns.  Before 1968 you could have a gun shipped directly to your home, no license, no background check, and if you were willing to pay an extra $200 federal tax it could be full-auto (aka machine gun).  We didn't have school shootings then, with easy access to guns, now when it's harder we have them, so the problem seems to lie elsewhere.  Besides, if guns magically disappeared things like this would still happen and they'd be worse.  How can I say that?  Because our own military, when they want to kill people in job-lots, doesn't use guns, it uses explosives, incendiaries, or chemical weapons.  You could do a LOT of damage at a school with a case of beer bottles filled with gasoline, some old t-shirts, and a Bic lighter.  A little internet research would teach you how to make even worse things.

Here's my take:

We have a culture among young people where likes/shares/retweets/etc are the standard, in other words attention.  So if you're always craving attention you'll find ways of getting it.  This is nothing new, there were plenty of kids in my school who "acted up" because punishment is a form of attention.

Then there's bullying.  There's always been bullying, but the adults response to it has caused problems.  Used to be you were bullied, you finally had enough and punched the fucker in the face.  Or if he was too big and strong, you banded together with a few other kids he was bullying, jumped him, and sent him home with black eyes and missing teeth.  Bullying stopped at that point (I say this from personal experience, I punched my personal bully in the mouth in 5th grade, and my teacher shook my hand).  Now kids get suspended for defending themselves against bullys, but the schools refuse to do anything to the bully before it comes to that point.  So the anger builds up until you snap.

Next on the list is how we handle boys.  Boys are naturally aggressive, because of the chemical cocktail of hormones raging thru them, but there are fewer and fewer acceptable methods of channeling that aggression.  Things like (tackle) football, boxing, martial arts, or even the occasional after-school fist-fight.  Couple that with the large percentage of boys who are raised in single-parent (usually mother) households, the boys lack a male figure who's actually been through it himself and who can guide the young man into safe, respectable ways of using their aggression.  Instead the kids have to repress it, pretend it doesn't exist, and it's eventually going to come out.

Then there's the media.  Shooting up your school is a quick way to become an instant celebrity, everyone will hear your name man!  See the point above about attention.  If the media would decide not to publish the names of mass murderers (like they currently do with rape victims) that aspect would disappear overnight.

So we have naturally aggressive boys who have never learned how to channel that aggression, a desire for attention, a society that doesn't allow them to defend themselves against bullies, and a media that's willing to make them into instant celebrities if they just kill a bunch of people.  What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 90% answer is "human + 1 or more Y chromosomes". The remaining 10% is room I choose to leave for transgender men or humans born with no Y chromosomes but present as male. Because  life isn't binary and the had to work a lot harder at it than I did so I'm definitely not going to shit on them. Someday we may have to address the human part of my equation but not yet tomy knowledge.

I wonder though if your question is more esoteric, about definitions of masculinity and manly character but I'll wait for you to clarify.

• Like 1