MEN ONLY THREAD part two

22 hours ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

Hmmmmm next question....

Spell every word right and use proper grammar or be able to do complex math problems in your head?

Your post reminds me of a "would you rather" book I picked up once in a bookstore several years ago. It said in it "run over a litter of puppies with a riding lawnmower or burn down an orphanage?" That's the only one I remember.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

If it gets people talking it's a good thing. 

That's a trick question, because it doesn't imply that there is anyone in the orphanage while you burn it down, so the less psychopathic answer is burn down an orphanage 

Oh right, I'm not sure if the book meant the orphanage was full or empty so there's two schools of thought on that one.

If you became a trillionaire overnight what's the first business/franchise you'd want to buy and why?

If it gets people talking it's a good thing. 

That's a trick question, because it doesn't imply that there is anyone in the orphanage while you burn it down, so the less psychopathic answer is burn down an orphanage 

I'm one of those third option kinds of people, I'd offer some other solution if possible.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

You can't run over a house with a lawnmower, you just end up doing damage to the siding....... (thought I was in reverse) 

They also don't respond well to running into power poles.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 7/12/2018 at 7:32 AM, Rubik'sCat said:

Your post reminds me of a "would you rather" book I picked up once in a bookstore several years ago. It said in it "run over a litter of puppies with a riding lawnmower or burn down an orphanage?" That's the only one I remember.

I was in a bar this weekend that had a book of "barguements." The criteria is any debate that is simple enough to be had after 3 beers consumed in rapid succession.

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

I need about three beers right now, nothing I needed was ordered, and what was ordered was 1000% completely wrong. 

How do you build confidence in yourself to be a leader. For all of my life it has been doing my own thing, and wiping peoples butts to keep things going, I'm tired of wiping butts. 

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

18 hours ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

I need about three beers right now, nothing I needed was ordered, and what was ordered was 1000% completely wrong. 

How do you build confidence in yourself to be a leader. For all of my life it has been doing my own thing, and wiping peoples butts to keep things going, I'm tired of wiping butts. 

"Wipe someone's butt and you sanitise them for a day... teach someone how to wipe their butt and you sanitise them for life"... or something.

More seriously.... I think a really good starting point for leadership is to think of examples of good leaders and leadership (ideally from real life/personal experience, but fiction/popular culture will do too) and reflect on what they do well and how they do it. Conversely, think about who is terrible and reflect on their mistakes, why they make them, and how to avoid them. One idea is to adopt a few leadership heroes and think 'how would X handle this'?

Secondly... some people have very fixed and quite narrow ideas about what leadership can be. They tend to think of it as loud and extroverted and in people's faces and being better than everyone they lead and having all of the answers, but it needn't be that at all. I think good leadership can be much more subtle, much more collaborative and consultative, much more... humane.

My own philosophy is that there are two great evils in leadership/management.... alienation (where people don't understand the context of what they're being asked to do, so the work becomes meaningless) and micromanagement... telling people how to do something, rather than merely what outcomes are needed. Obviously how something is done often does matter and sometimes is of critical importance, but I'd rather (say) ask an experienced administrator to organise an small event and keep track of registrations via whatever means they prefer, rather than mandate a particular platform or spreadsheet for them to use.

• Like 2

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

On 7/18/2018 at 9:39 AM, Frost of the Gloaming said:

lmao so last night I was told that I need to find a new job, and that in fact that it is this place that is a major underlying factor in my continuing depression. 

I worked at a job once that was so toxic for me that in the morning when I got in my car to drive to work my anxiety would spike so high that I would get literal chest pains like a heart attack. 

I quit that job with nothing lined up, but the relief I felt was so high I actually didn’t worry. My boss even commented that I hadn’t smiled in months, and as soon as I gave notice I wouldn’t stop smiling or being chipper.  (Actually, his exact words were “No smiling for months, and now he can’t stop fucking smiling!”)

if you can swing a couple months unemployed, definitely a good idea to quit even with nothing lined up when it’s severely impacting health. 

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Dammit I love running, nothing feels more free than running through the woods. However I have the base of a power lifter, hence I just dead lifted 450 lbs; I don't weight train at all, it's all push ups, pull ups and of course running.   

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

On 7/29/2018 at 12:03 PM, Nomad Jay said:

Man, and here I was feeling good about being able to deadlift my bodyweight...

On 7/30/2018 at 11:09 AM, Frost of the Gloaming said:

Don't compare yourself to me, I am an Ant, all my strength is in my legs and core, so I can dead lift/Squat a ton of weight I'm still only a little over my body weight for benching. 

22 hours ago, Nomad Jay said:

Yeah...my bench isn't that great either....

Compare yourself to the person you were yesterday, not others.

Otherwise I'd feel pathetic since I'd definitely compare myself to Staci.  Or KnightsWatch.  Or Gains.  Or or or or or....

• Like 1

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Oh, but funny story about that....

Couple years ago when I pulled 405 for the first time around Nerds, I threw everything I had into it.  Deadlift fairies came out and everything.

KnightsWatch just casually came up to the bar as part of his meandering, lifts it 3 times like nothing, and then walks away to do other things.

Thankfully I was still enough of a puddle I missed this, and was just told about it later.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2018 at 7:29 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

Oh, but funny story about that....

Couple years ago when I pulled 405 for the first time around Nerds, I threw everything I had into it.  Deadlift fairies came out and everything.

KnightsWatch just casually came up to the bar as part of his meandering, lifts it 3 times like nothing, and then walks away to do other things.

Thankfully I was still enough of a puddle I missed this, and was just told about it later.

Ah, humility...

My comments on lifting are mostly tongue-in-cheek. I forget my tone of voice doesn't translate through the internet sometimes.

• Like 1

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

Yea sarcasm doesn't translate well into type. 

Like when after a meeting where we discuss everything you still feel the need to email me a question that we nailed down a thousand times, expect the answer to be sarcastic and no I'm not sorry. 

Daily Mile

:vent: I should have to put up with this shit, coming back from a run, get off the elevator on my floor start walking towards my office when another of the elevators opens up and it was my co-worker who dislikes me, he took a look at me let out a disgusted sigh and threw his mail cart, not a bullshit I just let it down hard, he threw the thing.

This isn't the first time, or I wouldn't be complaining

Daily Mile

2 hours ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

Question if you had a way to build a machine that would humanely kill someone would you build it? 

Sure. There'd be quite a market for it. Though finding somewhere that would let me pitch it would be a bigger challenge. If it could be adapted for animals, however, it would be perfect for slaughterhouses and veterinarians.

Ironically, places that conduct capital punishment (Texas, etc) would probably not be interested.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

1 minute ago, Artinum said:

Sure. There'd be quite a market for it. Though finding somewhere that would let me pitch it would be a bigger challenge. If it could be adapted for animals, however, it would be perfect for slaughterhouses and veterinarians.

Ironically, places that conduct capital punishment (Texas, etc) would probably not be interested.

I got the idea from a slaughter house, but instead of going for the forehead, use the sweet spot of between the skull and neck where all the nerves enter the brain, sever them and everything stops. 

Yea they would rather use drugs that they can't get a hold of rather than deal with the fact that death is in fact messy. My way you can patch the hole afterwards, no blood no brain matter leaking out. 

Daily Mile

On 8/10/2018 at 8:45 AM, Frost of the Gloaming said:

Question if you had a way to build a machine that would humanely kill someone would you build it? 

Depends on who's going to use it and why. I'm generally against the taking of human life, but I recognize that in some circumstances it's the least-worst answer to the problem set. Also, what do we classify as "humane"? From what I understand of, two rounds to the back of the head is fairly humane for the exeutionee, but tended to have a negative psychological effect on the executioner.

• Like 1