MEN ONLY THREAD part two

That sounds reasonable. Good jeans can be dressed up or down, and can be paired with almost anything. What kind of jacket/footwear would one wear with a fedora though? Is there a specific style, or will any jacket/boot or shoe work, so long as it's leather?

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Guest Snake McClain
Fedora's always go with a suit and tie. If it's a more rugged fedora, with any kind of manly jacket, leather, outdoorsy etc. You can also pull it off with jeans, but wear boots, not sneakers, and preferably a button down shirt, t-shirts with a fedora look out of place to me. Frank Sinatra and Indiana Jones are two good role models fedora wise. Caution must be taken with Trillby's, as they can look hipsterish, unless you like the hipster look, in which go for it. I only wear my trillby when I am dressed up or wearing a jacket.

I was going to ask if a fedora could specifically go with khaki pants and a button down shirt. Sleeves rolled up. and dress shoes. then does the hat color match the shoes and belt or the shirt? or the pants?

I need to figure out what a trilby is. *goes to google*

okay the trilby and fedora look so similar...i think i dig the fedora a bit more (if i can even see the difference).

I agree that t shirts and jeans both look wrong with a fedora.

Guest Snake McClain
That sounds reasonable. Good jeans can be dressed up or down, and can be paired with almost anything. What kind of jacket/footwear would one wear with a fedora though? Is there a specific style, or will any jacket/boot or shoe work, so long as it's leather?

all of this also interests me.

Guest Snake McClain
*goes to subbed threads*

*sees men's only thread locked*

*heart stops*

*sees men's only PART TWO*

PHEW

honestly i just got jealous when i saw a second men's thread. I was thinking, 'What mine wasn't good enough? Do we have dual factions now? Is this lord of the flies?" Then i saw the original was locked and thought, "What the $#!% happened last night to do that?" Then I saw that it had torn down tap talk. and was okay with it...then i saw the second thread was started by spezzy and it made me sad.

I hesitiate to get too specific, if the colors generally seem to go together, go for it.

I was going to ask if a fedora could specifically go with khaki pants and a button down shirt. Sleeves rolled up. and dress shoes. then does the hat color match the shoes and belt or the shirt? or the pants?

I need to figure out what a trilby is. *goes to google*

okay the trilby and fedora look so similar...i think i dig the fedora a bit more (if i can even see the difference).

I agree that t shirts and jeans both look wrong with a fedora.

I would think Khaki's and button down should be allright. As I think, i would tend to look to the shoes belt thing to dictate the hat. Also, jeans and dress shoes probably work as well as Khaki's and dress shoes. As for the kind of boots with jeans, if it looks right, go for it.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I wear an Indy-style fedora, which I've had...5 years now? It was originally quite brown, but it's gotten very much a brownish-grey. While I'm here in Japan, I'm wearing a straw fedora that's a similar style.

I've been told that it suits me. I've been told this by people who adamantly say that people should stop wearing fedoras because most people don't look good in them. In fact, I have never encountered a single person who has had anything negative to say about it, with the sole exception of "you look cool, but you kind of look like you stepped out of a movie". I'm not super-handsome or anything (except to myself), but I own that hat, in every sense of the word.

So, uh, fedoras FTW.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

I wear an Indy-style fedora, which I've had...5 years now? It was originally quite brown, but it's gotten very much a brownish-grey. While I'm here in Japan, I'm wearing a straw fedora that's a similar style.

I've been told that it suits me. I've been told this by people who adamantly say that people should stop wearing fedoras because most people don't look good in them. In fact, I have never encountered a single person who has had anything negative to say about it, with the sole exception of "you look cool, but you kind of look like you stepped out of a movie". I'm not super-handsome or anything (except to myself), but I own that hat, in every sense of the word.

So, uh, fedoras FTW.

This, absolutely. My Indy-Fedora is one of the reasons I'm here.

besides a baseball cap and skull and cross bones bandana(s) I don't wear anything on my head, though I did wear a Tri-cornered hat while hiking the Lake Placid to Northville Trail, I should try to find another one that isn't costume grade

I think when I finish my degree and look to move on from my current work place I'm in a desperate need to update my wardrobe

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

I hesitiate to get too specific, if the colors generally seem to go together, go for it.

I would think Khaki's and button down should be allright. As I think, i would tend to look to the shoes belt thing to dictate the hat. Also, jeans and dress shoes probably work as well as Khaki's and dress shoes. As for the kind of boots with jeans, if it looks right, go for it.

I agree with the above. In my experience, the hat color (or at least the band on the hat) would probably be dictated by the color of the belt/shoes. So, if you have black leather on, go with a black, dark grey or coordinating hat/band. If you have brown leather on, choose a hat of similar color.

The only exception I know of is if you're wearing a grey suit, from about mid to light tone. Technically, your leather with that is supposed to be brown, but the hat should match the suit.

Um. Yeah. I have a bit of a sartorial obsession. :D

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile

...then i saw the second thread was started by spezzy and it made me sad.

It does seem wrong, doesn't it? A "men only" thread started by a woman...

Hats - I got a Canada baseball cap a few years ago while holidaying in, um, Spain...? :-P and I wear it a lot. It's great for keeping my wireless headphones on my head. And I like it.

Strange, really. Hats usually make my head itch.

• Like 1

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

For those off-roading trips when the top is off, I bought a tarp hat. I love this thing. They're made from recycled tarps from cargo trucks. http://realdealbrazil.com/tarp-hats.php

It has held up to ridiculous abuse, from all-day wheeling in heavy dust conditions, to digging deck support holes for 8 hours in the sun.

That is an awesome webstore. Im diggin the bags and accesories. The hats are cool, just not my thing.

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

Just a brief digression: if only we had been able to get 44 more posts into the original thread. 3000 would have been a satisfying number.

/digression

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Honestly, this is an incredible forum that can handle ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY pages before it needs the new thread. Most forums I've been to have it in the 50 to 100 range. So yeah, manpower!

As far as fedoras: Its true, they do need more than just a t-shirt. I find I can do alright with a good button-down shirt (mine tend to be darker and thicker), jeans can do just fine, and shoes that at the least are more than just colorful sneakers (I have a pair of black hiking shoes than can pretend to be dress-ish to the untrained eye or for extremely low formal occasions.) It also happens to have been personalized: I've replaced the normal band with one of those peacock feather and gem inset bands. Probably a mite bit over the top, but then again, so am I, so it probably doesn't look out of place on me. I also have a similar non-collapsable wide-brimmed western hat with a leather band with turqoise inset at intervals.

One other hat I would like is the Homburg. It looks like a good way to mix a fedora, a tophat, and a bit of bowler, and manages to both look dressy and casual in away even a good fedora can't.

Race: Human

Class: Warrior

CAUTION: I am quite prone to random, strange ideas I feel the need to express. You are free to act upon them as you wish. The best option is probably simply ignoring them and just working with what I say that actually has any merit of some kind. Hopefully fair warning.

For those off-roading trips when the top is off, I bought a tarp hat. I love this thing. They're made from recycled tarps from cargo trucks. http://realdealbrazil.com/tarp-hats.php

It has held up to ridiculous abuse, from all-day wheeling in heavy dust conditions, to digging deck support holes for 8 hours in the sun.

That is awesome. I need to get one now. By the way, how do you shape yours?

As for hats and what to wear with them, in warmer months, a good light colored Panama hat with a guayabera shirt looks great for that Puerto Rican/Caribbean look.

• Like 1

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

i would never be able to pull that look off.

Right there with you. Hats make me look 10 years younger. I'm only 23

If you're trying to be casual or slightly dressed up for the night:

• Dark Jean
  • Button Down Shirt
  • Match two of the following in color: belt, shoe, fedora
  • GOOD FITTING Jacket or Sports Coat. It doesn't really matter what you wear. If it fits well, you look good. Its Fall, try Corduroy?

[table]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[table=width: 350]

Foreign Warrior

STR 3

DEX 2

STA 2

Level 1

CON 3

WIS 3

CHA 2

Links

Current Challenge

Battle Logs

[/table]

[/table]

You can feel sore tomorrow, or you can feel sorry tomorrow. YOU choose.

I'm currently in lurking mode....but I can't resist a good hat discussion! One of my bucket list goals is to collect all the hats/headgears in the world, learn the history behind each and every one of them, and wear each one at least once in public. The hats I currently possess are Gatsby caps (I have too many), my beloved aviator hat (<3), porkpies (I wear it all the time), my cowboy hat (passed down to my generation, 30+ y.o!), and my 2 trilbies (Mine are wider than standard, but I can't go any wider. I just can't pull off the fedora look (yet) even though I love it so *sob*).

When it comes to wearing hats, try to have one or two elements that imitate the fashion of the hat's time in order to "bring it back" and then tone it down with modern clothes (e.g. aviator+bomber jacket+regular blouse, bowler+tweed blazer/trousers+whatever else, etc.). Regarding colors, most hats come in neutral colors, which go with everything, so long as you're not following some strict palette or the hat's a crazy color. It's pretty easy to mix and match a hat to an ensemble. In addition to color, take into account the texture of the hat, too. Try mixing and matching felt to tweed, leather, etc. The texture of the hat can also tip you on how and when to wear them. (e.g. straw=casual, felt=classy, leather=adventurous?)

If you're unsure, just look up some pictures of how people wore the hats in the past and, again, imitate the look by searching for similar looking modern pieces you have in your closet, or can find at a thrift store. Then bam! You'll be good to go.

To wear a wide-brimmed fedora, something has to be classy (unless you're a pimp), so pair it up with one or two pieces that are old-school, even when going casual. I agree 100% with the advice given by majora52.

HATS! These posts have made me happy! Good night all. *Goes back to lurking*

Adventurer | Level 1

CON: 0 | STR: 0 | STA: 0 | DEX: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

On Hiatus

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life — It goes on" -- Robert Frost

subscribed

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I have a Texas Longhorn ball cap that I wear out here. I used to wear a beret when I was in the Army. Took pride in actually having a pretty decent looking beret.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5486[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5487[/ATTACH]

Never have been much of a hat guy

post-8279-13567244944653_thumb.jpg

post-8279-1356724494516_thumb.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log