MEN ONLY THREAD part two

"We can rebuild him...we have the technology,"

[ATTACH]5596[/ATTACH]

"We just don't want to spend a lot of money."

post-6855-13567245000996_thumb.jpg

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

On another note, I have a question for the Man Council (I've already posted some of this in the Scout forum):

Background:

Last year, I made a bet with one of my neighbours. He said he could do a half marathon with only 6 training runs under his belt. Long story short, We ended up walking the majority of that race because of severe IT band pain when he ran. He was hurt and embarrassed but vowed to do it again next year. Fast forward 6 months, lo and behold who has signed up for the same half? My neighbor K! And who's joining him? Our neighbour J! J wanted to run last year but couldn't, but this year they've both vowed to train, and being the person I am I offered to help them out.

We started some easy runs in June and I provided them with a training plan, but the summer is busy for everyone and so the training fell off, sporadic at best. I've still be running, but between vacation and oppressive heat they weren't getting out. In August I started to pressure them that they needed to get out and get those training miles in, and since that time I think they've each put in a handful of runs. I've tried: education, cajoling, threats, scare tactics, guilt, lead-by-example, etc. but they've been skipping their workouts left and right. Unfortunately, none of it seems to work. Race day is going to be pretty painful for the two of them.

So my question to the council:

If they actually make it to the start line (i.e.- not drop out), do I stick with them to the bitter end like I did last year, or do I wish them luck and race my own race (i.e. - go for a PR), meeting them at the finish line?

Part of me feels obligated to helping them out, and part of me says "eff 'em, you've done you best to lead a horse to water, why ruin your own race?" I'm conflicted.

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

So my question to the council:

If they actually make it to the start line (i.e.- not drop out), do I stick with them to the bitter end like I did last year, or do I wish them luck and race my own race (i.e. - go for a PR), meeting them at the finish line?

Part of me feels obligated to helping them out, and part of me says "eff 'em, you've done you best to lead a horse to water, why ruin your own race?" I'm conflicted.

I say go with the latter. You did what you could, they decided not to keep it up (not saying they didn't have things stopping them from doing it, just that they didn't train). It is up to them to complete it. If you want to try for a new PR, then go for it and smash your old record.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Race your own race and meet up with them after the race.

Put yourself in their shoes, would you want to feel like you're slowing down your great friend just because you didn't train and he did? Especially when you know he wants to go for a PR?

Exactly! They have their chance! Wise man once say, "Forgiveness is Divine, but never pay full price for a late Pizza!" -.-

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Yep agree with all the above. Run your own race. Maybe plan to meet at the finish line for an after-race drink or breakfast or whatever and use that time to discuss how everyone went. It's the nature of running that everyone is at a slightly different level so a bit of friendly competition is to be encouraged.

The only time I'd say to slow down for them would be if it was a fun/themed run where a PR is at best a secondary consideration. (Or if you're racing me, where decorum would mean you letting me beat you)

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Yeah, it really depends on how serious you are about running full pace. If that was your plan all along, then it's very unlikely that any catch-up training they could do (even if they did it properly!) would get them up to your pace. So your situation hasn't really changed IMO.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I'm conflicted.

Don't be. It'd be different if it were an obstacle race or they'd been injured out for a couple of months but the scenario you outlined? Enjoy your race.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Was that the Broddha?

It was wise words of Master Splinter!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

It was wise words of Master Splinter!

Should have guessed...

Question time, I know it is against the Bro Code to date your bro's sister, but what about a bro's daughter? This, of course, is a purely hypothetical situation...

Level 1 Woodwose

Should have guessed...

Question time, I know it is against the Bro Code to date your bro's sister, but what about a bro's daughter? This, of course, is a purely hypothetical situation...

I'd say that depends on the age difference between the three of you? Obviously if you and him are the same age, it'd be weird and creepy and you'd be up for a good beat down. But if you and her are about the same age then it'd be less weird. But you do have to know that something like this can result in violence towards you. Especially if the relationship ends up not being "forever". Then of course you can no longer engage in guy talk about the old lady, cuz do you REALL way him to know how you violate his daughter, and all the stupid sh*t she does that pisses you off?

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

I'd say that depends on the age difference between the three of you? Obviously if you and him are the same age, it'd be weird and creepy and you'd be up for a good beat down. But if you and her are about the same age then it'd be less weird. But you do have to know that something like this can result in violence towards you. Especially if the relationship ends up not being "forever". Then of course you can no longer engage in guy talk about the old lady, cuz do you REALL way him to know how you violate his daughter, and all the stupid sh*t she does that pisses you off?

This truly was a hypothetical situation since I already passed on my chance of asking her out, and there was another reason I didn't try. I just wanted to know what the guys had to say about it.

And to answer some concerns of yours. I am 22, daughter is 20 or 21 and the bro is 50. Actually the bro is a girl that I went to college with, but she's basically just one of the guys and can keep up pretty well with us 20 year olds. I also mostly do not talk about my sex life, though I could see me talking about the annoying little things that my current (or past) girl does.

Level 1 Woodwose

Isn't the phrase "bros before hos"...?

Seriously, though, I'd steer well clear of anyone connected to your bros. That includes their ex! Otherwise you're going to have two different relationships with them at once, and the dissonance can lead to serious headaches.

It occurs to me that very few discussions include both "bro" and "dissonance". Hmm!

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Isn't the phrase "bros before hos"...?

Seriously, though, I'd steer well clear of anyone connected to your bros. That includes their ex! Otherwise you're going to have two different relationships with them at once, and the dissonance can lead to serious headaches.

It occurs to me that very few discussions include both "bro" and "dissonance". Hmm!

I don't go for hoes, I'm just a might bit pickier than that.

Congratulations on that great word combination. I'm always a fan of any conversation mixing either "bro" or "dude" and anything above a middle school vocabulary. I'm still waiting to hear "Dude, I'm so stoked to receive this Nobel prize!"

<insert female perspective>

NEVER date anyone related to a she bro. It is a total slap in the face.

</end f p>

Spoken from a she-bro. Must be truth.

Level 1 Woodwose

So, I know that this is bringing up an older topic but here it goes:

Speaking of AOM, the latest article was about nicknames. So, what are yours and why?

Mine are thoroughly unoriginal, usually just derivatives of my last name e.g -"Redneck" (also I come from a small town and now live in the city). On the high school soccer team I was "Adam" for the season because one teammate simply didn't know my name. Nothing much else has stuck

I have a couple of nicknames. My wife calls me "Husband" or "Hubband", at one point I had some friends that called me "Slick", and then I have my last name which is "Harness"; my go to online handle for years and years though is "Amseriah". I picked it when I was a kid, I think that it was a dnd character's name and it just stuck, so I have at times answered to Ams, Amser, Amseriah, lol...I am such a nerd! I am using my last name on NF because I am going for this whole RL-Online transparency thing as a personal challenge. If I wouldn't say something to someone's face in real life then I am not going to do it online.

Lvl 1 Elven Minotaur Druid
Str: 3 |Dex: 1 |Sta: 4 |Con: 3 |Wis: 2 |Cha: 2

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." Capt Malcolm Reynolds

"When you do something, you should burn yourself up completely, like a good bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself", Shunryu Suzuki

"Why do we fall down, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up again." Thomas Wayne

My second-ish challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/29825-harness-rebooted/

Huh??? Did I do something to offend?

Lvl 1 Elven Minotaur Druid
Str: 3 |Dex: 1 |Sta: 4 |Con: 3 |Wis: 2 |Cha: 2

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." Capt Malcolm Reynolds

"When you do something, you should burn yourself up completely, like a good bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself", Shunryu Suzuki

"Why do we fall down, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up again." Thomas Wayne

My second-ish challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/29825-harness-rebooted/
I've really fucking had it. And I wish I could write a rant, but I don't know what to say.

What's wrong? Just write whatever comes out, don't think about it. We're men, we can understand the ramblings of another pissed off man.

Level 1 Woodwose