MEN ONLY THREAD part two

Agreed on the juggling. I have never met ANYONE who can teach me to juggle - they all say to practice. Yeah, sure. Practice WHAT? You haven't told me what to do! It's either these stupid one-hand, one-ball catches that I can already do or you launch into a two-ball display that I can't follow. What am I actually supposed to DO? Practice without that bit is pointless. I already know how to drop things.

I want to write music. This is a frustrating experience as I don't know where to start. I'm aware of these mystical things called "chords", and I even grasp that there are major and minor ones. That's good. But then I get a bit stuck - particularly as any particular chord can be more than one chord. Octaves aside, C-major can be C-E-G, E-G-C, E-C-G, G-C-E, and so on. If someone tells me "C-major", which of these numerous chords do they actually mean?

Mostly, though, I'm stuck on the music due to a lack of decent tracker software. I have two free packages (because I don't want to pay for one I can't use) and while one is high quality, it has the user friendliness of the Inquisition. It's very easy to screw up and lose a ton of work - what software these days doesn't have an undo function?? The other is much friendlier but the sound quality is poor and the software itself is not 100% compatible with modern versions of Windows.

Sorry, I'm ranting. I'll let someone else have a go now.

Useful link for you:

http://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMusicMakers/comments/igns0/

Guest Snake McClain

Artinum there is nothing wrong with head booping with kittens. I think real manliness and strength has tenderness mixed in.

" Strength is kindness and sensitivity. Strength is understanding that your power is both physical and emotional. That it comes from the body and the mind. And the heart." - Iron and the Soul by Henry Rollins

head boop away men!

Head booping a kitten is actually manlier than someone not secure enough to head boop a kitten for fear of how it looks. At that point one has descended from Manly to compensation territory.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

That's incorrect. What name a chord will have depends on the scale you're playing in. If you're in C major, E-G-C will be called the first inversion of Cmaj. G-C-E will be the second inversion of Cmaj. If you're in E minor, or E major (doesn't matter), E-G-C will be called E minor augmented. G-C-E in G would actually be G6sus4 if I remember correctly. But you probably won't be playing that much anyways.

You said scale, I said root, tomayto tomahto, haven't done music theory since high school...

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

My life is weird.

So, back in July, at a wedding reception, this guy asked me if I was wearing cologne. I wasn't. I had, in fact, not showered for about 24 hours, and had done restaurant work earlier in the day, and was dressed too warmly for the weather. Apparently, he thought I smelled nice (in the way a straight guy thinks another guy smells nice, of course [actually, he said it was pretty gay, but his girlfriend didn't seem to mind at all]). I wrote it off as a cheerful little fluke and went on with life.

Fast forward months later. I'm teaching some playground games to Japanese kids with a volunteer organization. After running around the gym for half an hour, we're all wrapping up. Suddenly, one of the volunteer coordinators, a woman in her mid-20s comes RUNNING up to me and...smells me. Right around the armpit (not actually in it, but the chest area near it). She then proceeds to wave over her intern, a 21-year-old college student (also female) who, without requiring any explanation, does the same near the opposite arm. The former then proceeds to explain that I smelled good. Which she had apparently noticed from somewhere around 15-20 feet away.

Guys, apparently I exude manliness. I don't...I don't even understand at all. Anthropology seems to theorize that good person-smell is often related to immune systems, and mine is powerful enough to stop plagues, but...this is unnatural. Real humans don't get women running up to them by scent like in some stupid body spray commercial.

I hope I'm not kidnapped and disassembled to make the new line of "Axe". That'd just be humiliating.

I'm drawing a comic to immortalize it, but I'm slow at drawing, and I have a ton of other projects, and I've been dying to tell SOMEONE, so here we are.

• Like 1

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

You're the one that's going to cure HIV. Through body odour. A modern day medicinal Messiah!

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

My life is weird.

So, back in July, at a wedding reception, this guy asked me if I was wearing cologne. I wasn't. I had, in fact, not showered for about 24 hours, and had done restaurant work earlier in the day, and was dressed too warmly for the weather. Apparently, he thought I smelled nice (in the way a straight guy thinks another guy smells nice, of course [actually, he said it was pretty gay, but his girlfriend didn't seem to mind at all]). I wrote it off as a cheerful little fluke and went on with life.

Fast forward months later. I'm teaching some playground games to Japanese kids with a volunteer organization. After running around the gym for half an hour, we're all wrapping up. Suddenly, one of the volunteer coordinators, a woman in her mid-20s comes RUNNING up to me and...smells me. Right around the armpit (not actually in it, but the chest area near it). She then proceeds to wave over her intern, a 21-year-old college student (also female) who, without requiring any explanation, does the same near the opposite arm. The former then proceeds to explain that I smelled good. Which she had apparently noticed from somewhere around 15-20 feet away.

Guys, apparently I exude manliness. I don't...I don't even understand at all. Anthropology seems to theorize that good person-smell is often related to immune systems, and mine is powerful enough to stop plagues, but...this is unnatural. Real humans don't get women running up to them by scent like in some stupid body spray commercial.

I hope I'm not kidnapped and disassembled to make the new line of "Axe". That'd just be humiliating.

I'm drawing a comic to immortalize it, but I'm slow at drawing, and I have a ton of other projects, and I've been dying to tell SOMEONE, so here we are.

A few years ago the power in my house went out, meaning no warm water, meaning no shower. Power came on late at night, ehh I'll shower tomorrow morning. The next night I was with my then gf, watching a movie cuddling on the couch or whatever. Crap. I forgot to shower that morning. I probably smell dank. Asks me the same thing, what cologne are you wearing, it smells amazing. Eff yeah, I'm in the clear. Tocho is right brick. Lets go cure HIV and cancer and some other stuff with our natural body odor.

I've had that happen. I was at work talking to me then-girlfriend at break, making plans for later that day. I told her is be at her place as soon as I went home and showered, and she said "no just come over, I love the way you smell after work." And I hadn't been working with any type of chemicals or anything. I thought I smelled awful, but apparently I was mistaken. *shrugs*

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Head booping a kitten is actually manlier than someone not secure enough to head boop a kitten for fear of how it looks. At that point one has descended from Manly to compensation territory.

Scrabble hasn't been a kitten for a while now, but the head booping is frequent (especially if she wants something). And it was how she adopted us at the cat shelter, several years ago...

On body odour - some guys overdo the deodorant. That's never pleasant. Body odour itself I find varies - some guys stink something awful when they get sweaty, and others have a sweet fragrance that is rather alluring. This may be diet-related.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

On body odour - some guys overdo the deodorant. That's never pleasant. Body odour itself I find varies - some guys stink something awful when they get sweaty

Case in point: the bus I had the 'pleasure' of riding back to civilization on. Why do guys in the industry seem to still abide by the philosophy that "I shower every (pick day of week), weather I need to or not." Seriously?!

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

I don't even use deodorant much anymore, trying to cut it out completely. I've not used shampoo for 7 weeks now and my hair has improved remarkably in all aspects.

Anyone else did this/do this?

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

I still use deodorant but have moved to "unscented", every time I'm in a pinch and use the regular stuff I can't believe the difference (i.e. - how strong the scent of deodorant is)

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

In April I started doing "paleo showers". Basically: no soap, no shampoo, no deodorant, no cologne, no after shave, etc. Still shower everyday, scrub everything with a washcloth/poof/hand, and towel dry (and I wash my towel after two uses). My wife seems to have no problem with it (she didn't even know for the first month until I told her, I was waiting to see if she would notice a difference). The only one who has ever mentioned anything is one of my wife's friends who has a hyper sensitive sense of smell. It definitely makes it easier to shower at the gym or when travelling.

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Case in point: the bus I had the 'pleasure' of riding back to civilization on. Why do guys in the industry seem to still abide by the philosophy that "I shower every (pick day of week), whether I need to or not." Seriously?!

I remember the rush hour subway system in Prague, a city that apparently hasn't been introduced to deodorant yet. Uurk.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

I still use deodorant but have moved to "unscented", every time I'm in a pinch and use the regular stuff I can't believe the difference (i.e. - how strong the scent of deodorant is)

Same.

My wife is repulsed by scented deoderant (and cologne). Were I to use the scented stuff, I would pretty much never get laid again.

I don't see why unscented isn't far more popular. Who wants to smell like deoderant? Yet Mitchum is pretty much the only brand that has embraced this.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Actually in my college music theory my teachers all referred to c6 as a first inversion C chord... I.e. egc. But I believe c6 is also the traditional TAB notation for playing a C chord with an added sixth (I.e. CEGA, ACEG, GCEA, etc.)... I believe traditionally it's a root position C chord, but in general if you're using tab notation I don't think anyone really cares that much if it's root or not.

Mind you, C6 is also the Soprano High C, the C two octaves above Middle C. So... Ya know. :P C6 gets around as far as notation goes.

I'd disagree that theory is not important... I helps me a great deal when I do professional, or even free, music jobs/jams. Whenever I try to pick up a new instrument I find that my basic theory knowledge helps me a lot. Some people do just have natural gifts that let them get by without any theory at all... I certainly know quite a few people like that. But for me theory is essential and allows me to perform at the level of "naturally talented" musicians in a way that I never could without it. I have a friend who can sit down at the keyboard and just doodle away instinctively, but I can't. If I figure out what key the piece is in, however, I can appear to be doodling around and following the soloist/piece when in fact I'm just utilizing my theory skills to figure out where the music is heading, and of course using my aural skills training to figure out what's currently happening in the piece or what I need to be ready for.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Valiance, Level 1 Aasimar Warrior

[table=width: 275, class: outer_border, align: center]

STR: 2

DEX: 3

STA: 2

[tr]

CON: 2

WIS: 3

CHA: 3

[/table]

Chapter One: Valiance's Journey Begins!

re Shampoo: You should use it, but sparingly (once every few days or once a week), and preferably with an appropriate conditioner. Soaps and shampoos get rid of the stuff on you. Dirt, grime, other foreign substances. But they also get rid of your natural oils and such, excess or not. We overuse them in modern society. Used sparingly, they contribute greatly to hygiene, health, and presentation. Just remember that toothpaste and dental floss really ARE something you should use quite frequently.

I'm a bit sad that most other dudes seem to have magic scent powers. I wanted to be special...

Guest Snake McClain
Hey guys, if you're interested, we're doing Movember again this year over at Art Of Manliness:

http://artofmanliness.com/2012/10/22/movember-2012-fighting-prostate-testicular-cancer-with-mustaches/

I'm actually going to just grow the massivest most disgusting facial beard thing i can grow. I come in all patchy. like crazy. but i'm growing it. and not cutting my hair at all.

That topic aside. I feel really weird in my life right now. I wake up daily with a good attitude and a ton of energy. But on that same exact token I feel very frustrated and like life doesn't have a purpose. I know what I want to do with myself (personal training) and I'm taking steps towards it. But I honestly just feel really...out of sorts I guess. I can't explain it. It's like depression but not sad....is that even a thing? PTSD? lol It's really just weird. Like I can't pin it down. Again My attitude is great and I'm always trying to help others and support them and be positive. But when I get into my internal thoughts I sort of just look at everything and wonder why I'm doing it. Is there a point? I feel like the things I want and want to work towards I have no chance to attain. Hard to explain. anyway just venting.

Snake, I've been feeling the same thing recently. Or at least something similar. What helped me is that I STOPPED trying so hard to level up. I was giving it my all, I had fire in my belly and I making amazing gains (-30lbs and +6 pull-ups for multiple sets, in 3 months, plus I got faster and could run longer) but it was absorbing my life. I was so focused on my goals that I had almost entirely given up on the things that I enjoyed: drinks with friends, less than perfect diet/drinking, reading just for the love of a new adventure, playing video games just because I wanted to do something mindless for a while, etc. so I started doing those thing, and I feel much more centered and fulfilled now.

My progress isn't as epic as it was in the beginning, but I AM still making gains, and reaching goals, but I'm also enjoying the journey a lot more.

I guess what I'm saying is, take a page from the Book of Bueller: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

It's called "ennui" and everybody gets it. You'll get through it. Try to remember that pleasure in temporary, fleeting things is still beautiful, and that love for today is all the greater because it can only exist for today, and tomorrow, it will be only the love of memories.

If that doesn't help, punch some bears. Always makes me feel better.